• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Madness

Indeed, why not promote/create the game for their own products like WP. It seems really strange to promote a competitors product in your own products.

Is Microsoft really competing with Apple when it comes to gaming? In the end, it's all business. You weigh the pros and cons. Sure you'll sell more windows 8 products, but imagine all the potential sales if it comes to mac and iOS? There's no reason it can't come to all platforms.

Same reason Google allows it's apps to be on the iOS ecosystem. Same reason BBM from BlackBerry is finally coming to Android/iOS.

Microsoft had no problem releasing a few games on Game Boy Advance and DS that used their characters or IP.

It'll just be weird seeing Halo 'everywhere' in a sense. TV show, novels, comics, all kinds of games on various platforms.

If halo 1 is being re-released on PC I hope it's got the anniversary options for visuals, it was really nice to swap between the two and the newer up to date graphics are still really good to look at.

Madness

Reading the Bungie mail sack, some guy asked if Destiny is going to have water sort of like Halo 3. Now I remember the water in Halo 3 and I saw a video how particles such as a piece of warthog would get carried and washed away on Valhalla as opposed to sink to the bottom in Halo 4.

What was special about the water in Halo 3? Was it different in Halo:Reach and Halo 4 from a technical standpoint?

And surely Destiny would probably have better water effects than Halo 3 no? Seeing as how that was a game that started development around 04/05.

TheOddOne

During the live stream, this was the shot that made me think it was a Halo game and that was the Chief. Something about the rocks and the reason to hide the entire set of features on the character made me think, Halo.
For me it was scene you see him holding the Cortana chip in is hand. Then instantly thought back at the earlier scene going 'Was that the Ark?'.

Reading the Bungie mail sack, some guy asked if Destiny is going to have water sort of like Halo 3. Now I remember the water in Halo 3 and I saw a video how particles such as a piece of warthog would get carried and washed away on Valhalla as opposed to sink to the bottom in Halo 4.

What was special about the water in Halo 3? Was it different in Halo:Reach and Halo 4 from a technical standpoint?

And surely Destiny would probably have better water effects than Halo 3 no? Seeing as how that was a game that started development around 04/05.

The water was untextured but the physics were unreal for their time, especially as a "novelty" mechanic in an FPS.

For me it was scene you see him holding the Cortana chip in is hand. Then instantly thought back at the earlier scene going 'Was that the Ark?'.

"I knew it was halo when I saw Master Chief."

Nowise10

Halo 4 doesnt even have water in it. Nothing floats in it, it doesnt make sounds when you walk in it, it doesn't ripple up or wave when you walk through it, or in the rare chance you get beneath the water (which is basically only on Forge island) it doesnt have the water effect of actually being beneath it, and sounds like you are in air. Its fake and looks fake.

iNyUPo2z6rwur.gif

Halo Reach and Halo 3 had water that would ripple when touched, had realistic waves and splashed when jumped in, overall looked really great, and when you went beneath the water it a filter came on and sounded as if you were really under water.

Madness

That cloak is probably going to be the new Recon/Blue Flames for 343 Employees. They have to utilize it somehow, otherwise why show it. I know it was to get people excited and unsure. But whatever game they're making, they kind of now need to show why he'd be hiding like that.

I don't know how much I'm going to be a fan of Master Chief finding his "humanity". He's a Spartan, he does what needs to be done, no questions asked. Doesn't get emotional or disobey orders etc.

Nowise10

In Halo 4, I recall it rippling in mission 2 when you would drive through in a Warthog. That's the only one that comes to mind.

K wtf I just went back and look and it on Requiem it does ripple and splash, no footstep noise though, I also just went on Ragnarok and went and I'll be damned I didnt have my facts right, and the water does ripple.

Okay, so the mainpoint from Halo 3 water to Halo 4 is:
The water looks really bad
Doesn't make noise when walked or drove in

That cloak is probably going to be the new Recon/Blue Flames for 343 Employees. They have to utilize it somehow, otherwise why show it. I know it was to get people excited and unsure. But whatever game they're making, they kind of now need to show why he'd be hiding like that.

I don't know how much I'm going to be a fan of Master Chief finding his "humanity". He's a Spartan, he does what needs to be done, no questions asked. Doesn't get emotional or disobey orders etc.

epicreaper.jpg

But seriously, we got enough "humanity" from the S-4, now what? make Chief try to revive cortana?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Halo 4 doesnt even have water in it. Nothing floats in it, it doesnt make sounds when you walk in it, it doesn't ripple up or wave when you walk through it, or in the rare chance you get beneath the water (which is basically only on Forge island) it doesnt have the water effect of actually being beneath it, and sounds like you are in air. Its fake and looks fake.

Halo Reach and Halo 3 had water that would ripple when touched, had realistic waves and splashed when jumped in, overall looked really great, and when you went beneath the water it a filter came on and sounded as if you were really under water.

I think they had to sacrifice a lot of stuff in Halo 4 so the 360 doesn't explode.

I would think the water was cut down a lot due to how much is going on in halo 4, water like halo 3 must have used some chunk of processing especially for things to float and move down stream, which I do miss seeing. Not the game in halo 4 when a spartan dies in Ragnarok water and does F-all.

With how short of a life span weapons stay on the ground in halo 4, water would have removed the guns all together :p

Madness

I would think the water was cut down a lot due to how much is going on in halo 4, water like halo 3 must have used some chunk of processing especially for things to float and move down stream, which I do miss seeing. Not the game in halo 4 when a spartan dies in Ragnarok water and does F-all.

With how short of a life span weapons stay on the ground in halo 4, water would have removed the guns all together :p

Oh I understand why it was cut down. The visuals of Halo 4 are great, and it's such old hardware. I just wanted to find out what was special about the water in Halo 3, as opposed to the rest. I never really thought much about it. But I meant now I can think about how it flowed, carried away particles and objects etc.

J10

Banned

I kinda feel like Chief has to break at some point. He's been at war for over two decades straight, totally indoctrinated, deprived of normalcy. He's got to self destruct or lash out or something. Otherwise he's just a windup toy.

Madness

I kinda feel like Chief has to break at some point. He's been at war for over two decades straight, totally indoctrinated, deprived of normalcy. He's got to self destruct or lash out or something. Otherwise he's just a windup toy.

But he can't break. That's why he's a Spartan-II, genetically perfect, etc. They don't even break when their best friends get their brains splattered in front of them. They're not human, they're basically machines. And the irony is that they represent the best of humanity.

They'd sacrifice themselves in a second to save people, don't feel fear, don't get scared. What's next? Saying he loves Cortana? That he misses Halsey etc. They can explain it as the Librarian did something to him, but I don't know, you're fundamentally changing the character. That's not who Chief is.

Booshka

Yup, back when Halo name actually carried some weight.
Check out this gem of a post Juices

But this is coming from an Inheritor in Halo Reach, so don't feel bad. Most people will never be as good as me.

And when was that, Juices? Educate me - I want dates.
All of Halo CE, Halo 2 post 1.1 Patch that made it competitively viable, and Version 5-7 MLG Halo 3 when there were good gametypes and maps. Throw Reach MLG No bloom No sprint in there as well.

Chief should break when he sees Halsey. Or have Jul fatally wound her, Chief hulks out, and then dying Halsey gets Composed into Chief's new AI.

Booshka

Chief should break when he sees Halsey. Or have Jul fatally wound her, Chief hulks out, and then dying Halsey gets Composed into Chief's new AI.

MILF Cortana, would save Halo.

Dylan Ryder is to Cortana, what Nina Hartley is to MILF Cortana.

Would play, 9.8/10

Check out this gem of a post Juices

All of Halo CE, Halo 2 post 1.1 Patch that made it competitively viable, and Version 5-7 MLG Halo 3 when there were good gametypes and maps. Throw Reach MLG No bloom No sprint in there as well.

The funny thing is, the guy is a legit 24 with like 1500 exp on Halo 3 lol!

EDIT: Holy shit, he only really played Invasion, I love Bungie.net, the at a glance BK check is better than Waypoint for sure.

Booshka

The funny thing is, the guy is a legit 24 with like 1500 exp on Halo 3 lol!

EDIT: Holy shit, he only really played Invasion, I love Bungie.net, the at a glance BK check is better than Waypoint for sure.

His Bio in his profile says, "I'm an Inheritor." With that kind of attitude I doubt he will last long, whether he is trolling or serious.

His Bio in his profile says, "I'm an Inheritor." With that kind of attitude I doubt he will last long, whether he is trolling or serious.

I really hope that is down to satire. I feel bad being a dick but its people like him who Bungie catered to with Reach and its annoying seeing the new wave of Halo fan be so ignorant.

Madness

That's actually hilarious but it seems Bungie achieved their intended result. Make people feel as if they are good players/superior without ever requiring the skill behind it.

It's like when they give every player on a soccer team trophies. Sorry Zinedine Jr. You may have scored 4 goals a game, but Chubs McGee gets Unsung hero because he saved that goal that one time.

The problem though, is you create bragging like this, which is no different than the 50 generals who did it, but most of them backed it up with skill no? This guy could probably destroy me in Reach, I don't know, but bragging like that is bad.

Madness

Huh. I was about to purchase another copy because my disc got snapped by the drive and I want a clean, offline copy for future use.. but if this is really true, hopefully you can redeem your existing keys on Steam. Won't hurt to wait a couple of weeks, I guess.

FyreWulff to Authoritative Shark??

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does anyone wanna play Halo 4 with me? I'm seriously down to play any playlist. It'd be cool to get a nice sized HaloGAF group going.

Message me: TashiGAF

Fuchsdh

But he can't break. That's why he's a Spartan-II, genetically perfect, etc. They don't even break when their best friends get their brains splattered in front of them. They're not human, they're basically machines. And the irony is that they represent the best of humanity.

They'd sacrifice themselves in a second to save people, don't feel fear, don't get scared. What's next? Saying he loves Cortana? That he misses Halsey etc. They can explain it as the Librarian did something to him, but I don't know, you're fundamentally changing the character. That's not who Chief is.

I'm going to point out that the novel's portrayal of Chief is markedly more complex, and also, real people change. I'm not saying every soldier breaks down or suffer trauma or PTSD, but the Spartans, despite being bred for combat, despite the augmentations, at their fundamental core, they're still only human.

I'd play Tashi but I'm stuck in a car after we drove twenty minutes to the theater and World War Z sold out right when we got there. I'm calling it a night.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's ok.

343 adds radar to Slayer Pro (finally) in BTB and doesn't change the name of the gametype. lol come on man, that shit must be confusing.

JUST CALL IT TEAM SLAYER!

edit: Also, PP added back into the Carbine slot.

Top Bottom