• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo is far from dead nerds

Also, Halo 2 Vista will be in my hands tomorrow or Thursday. I might start a Halo 2 Vista thread so we can gather all the people that own it and want to play.

I feel it is though. The population is just awful. HaloGAF is no longer getting on every night and playing, the activity in these threads is almost nothing. Lucky if half a page gets posted in a day.

Theres hardly ever any news from 343 besides 'keep waiting!'.

Its just doldrums for Halo fans atm.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I wish we could get more people on for modded customs. It really does play like old school Halo. No sprint, decent forge maps, etc. A lot of fun.*

*compared to vanilla Halo 4

Halo 4 added a LOT more to Halo than Reach added to 3.

In conclusion Halo 4 killed Halo more. I'm not saying Reach is the best Halo. I'm saying its better than 4. 4 is really really really bad. From terrible marketing in the beginning, Ughh whats in each version? Oh yea they flip flopped a hundred times so nobody knows, people pissed off they bought the season map pack cause the "14 day buy n try" marketing gimmick LOL. Tournaments of failure and being dropped from MLG and the whole BTB maps fiasco, still no small maps really. Terrible playlist management continues with 4. Vehicles suck, Create your own loadouts suck, Perks suck, Flinch sucks, No doubles and Snipers in beginning of Halo 4, how have they not realized those need to be launch playlists? My buddy I visited last weekend was like why doesnt Halo 4 have doubles? I had to tell him it did, cause he stopped playing cause it didnt have doubles in the beginning. The UI, OH GOD THE UI. What is with that shit, such a failure from the Active Roster and UI Reach had. The fact there is literally no ranking system until 6 months or so in and its still invisible in-game! No motivation to play the game. Did I mention personal ordnance? Randomness everywhere. Theres a sniper that gives you a kill in this game if you get a BODY shot. Yea and the beam rifle has auto aim so you can snapshot incredibly easy, autoaim in a warthog means you can snapshot over and over. The MANTIS. Literally everything Halo 4 has done is broken in some aspect. All of the patches were broken at first.KEVIN FRANKLIN. The flag changes, Indicator on flag making it babby level casual gaming. Objective is 6v6? WTF? Multi-Team is what 8 teams of 2? Regicide Mario Kart level scoring! And just look at the population dropoffs. 92% dropoff. You literally now have the game at the bottom out level, Its probably not going to get much lower because just by chance yyou happen to have ~30K players hop on Halo at peak hours. They probably dont even really want to its just their default action in life. Halo Waypoint Stats site which is still way too fancy and slow compared to bungie.net stats! The fileshare not working for like 5 months or something crazy like that!

Please Reach is far from perfect but Halo 4 is bad, like real bad. Look at how no one plays it, because its NOT fun. Its NOT competitive. Its nothing really.
You type like a lovable dumbass, but speak a lot of truth.

Naked Lunch

BTB CTF is the best thing about Halo 4. Its about damn time they added it. The weapon tweaks def gave the game a bit of a different feel. Its at least more playable now. Not sure why you can still see the flag carrier at all times thru walls and everything though. I guess they are never going to change that. 1 Flag CTF cant be that hard to add - can it?

Regicide should not be in this playlist. Its voted for nearly 90% of the time. Its basically just another slayer gamemode anyways. Get that shit out of BTB objective - people voting for that should just stick to BTB slayer.

343 is close to having a good multiplayer. They should seriously make a classic playlist or 2 with no sprint and no Armor abilities.

BTB CTF is the best thing about Halo 4. Its about damn time they added it. The weapon tweaks def gave the game a bit of a different feel. Its at least more playable now. Not sure why you can still see the flag carrier at all times thru walls and everything though. I guess they are never going to change that. 1 Flag CTF cant be that hard to add - can it?

Regicide should not be in this playlist. Its voted for nearly 90% of the time. Its basically just another slayer gamemode anyways. Get that shit out of BTB objective - people voting for that should just stick to BTB slayer.

343 is close to having a good multiplayer. They should seriously make a classic playlist or 2 with no sprint and no Armor abilities.

Now imagine they release a launch Halo Xbox One title with in game ranks, all the Halo 4 progress, Azure dedicated multipler, Azure assisted campaign/SPOPS, social vs. ranked split and tournament support for various playlist styles, plus the new XBL/X1 features for recording, streaming, snapchat...

I see it coming and I see corporate motives for Halo 4 being what it was and to move Xbox One sales with such practices in the future.

Possible? Hell yes. Probable? Maybe.

willow ve

Now imagine they release a launch Halo Xbox One title with in game ranks, all the Halo 4 progress, Azure dedicated multipler, Azure assisted campaign/SPOPS, social vs. ranked split and tournament support for various playlist styles, plus the new XBL/X1 features for recording, streaming, snapchat...

I see it coming and I see corporate motives for Halo 4 being what it was and to move Xbox One sales with such practices in the future.

Possible? Hell yes. Probable? Maybe.

Does anyone really want SPOPS over Firefight?

I think a mash up of Firefight and SPOPS would be great. Perhaps play through for story initially and have to complete normal to then unlock a configurable/replayable version.

The CGI being released each week and being more content than just the campaign was highly appreciated. I'd also imagine a PC editor or next gen forge could potentially unlock community content for mini campaign/story missions too.

To me SPOPS potential was more than what was delivered but it's definitely worth a revisit or redesign.

Also, Halo 2 Vista will be in my hands tomorrow or Thursday. I might start a Halo 2 Vista thread so we can gather all the people that own it and want to play.
Man, remember when Halo 2 was the worst Halo game?

Compared to 4 it's like a fine aged wine.

I want in. Just hope it runs on my Windows 8 laptop.

IHaveIce

Banned

For some reason I can't get it to run on windows 7, I would love to play

Besides grinding away for weapon unlocks, Spartan Ops has relatively 0 replay value compared to Firefight. It might have been a different story if scoring, theater, and mild gametype customization were in the mode, but what we got were bite-sized campaign pieces that held little of my interest in terms of story and even less in terms of quality enemy encounters. Not what I wanted at all.

I'd rather have Reach's Firefight back, with less Big Ass Gun and more survival style ODST gametypes. Bring back Generator Defense while you're at it, plop it all on these fancy new servers and take my money, 343.

No, Unlimited lives, linear paths and over reused maps was tiring until the second half of season 1. Make it right and transforms SPOPs intro real Operations Ops, Stealth missions, snipers only weapons,split the team to do different objetives at the same time,Air combat missions, Race missions, remember that mission where you dont have any weapons and had to grab the enemies weapons to survive? It was unexpected but still the unlimited lives make it very easy.

No, Unlimited lives, linear paths and over reused maps was tiring until the second half of season 1. Make it right and transforms SPOPs intro real Operations Ops, Stealth missions, snipers only weapons,split the team to do different objetives at the same time,Air combat missions, Race missions, remember that mission where you dont have any weapons and had to grab the enemies weapons to survive? It was unexpected but still the unlimited lives make it very easy.

I haven't played much of the more recent CODs, but I expected Spartan Ops to be more like Spec Ops.

I enjoyed Spec Ops in MW2(?) more than anything else in that game.

FyreWulff

Maybe if it had been a more fleshed out mode. It had a few bright spots, like the Valhalla Mantis mission, and the big green level that i just forgot the name for.

It recycled too much, and wasn't really interesting to play again unless it was one of the few interesting missions, because the choice was to play the same map but either in forward or reverse or from side to side. And while the Valhalla Mantis mission was fun, it took me out that we were trying to play a story mission on a multiplayer map, so you immediately know once you start that your goal is either going to be in one base or the other base. It kind of feels like you're playing someone's mod.

They can certainly try it again, but players need the option to play it like Firefight with scoring and lives. They can continue to improve the mode, ie being able to build turrets and stuff, but they need the option to play it and create their own stories instead of playing it the way 343 wants you to play it.

At this point, a more interesting take on Spartan Ops to me would be to actually have Counter Ops. Reuse the campaign, one team is the Spartans, the other team plays as Elites/Grunts/Brutes/Forerunners and tries to prevent them from completing the mission. Remix the content and encounters slightly ala Zelda's second quest. Bring back campaign matchmaking and give players the option of searching as Spartans, Enemies, or Both.

Striker

Maybe if it had been a more fleshed out mode. It had a few bright spots, like the Valhalla Mantis mission, and the big green level that i just forgot the name for.
Only mission I had found fun was Land Grab. I couldn't see much replay value in shooting a bunch of Elites and Banshees with the Mantis after two or three times. Using a Warthog is a bit more enjoyable, but it still doesn't help. Overall there's too many issues: you can just play Arcadefight in Reach but have worse spawns and fight against inferior enemies and you get Spartan Ops.

Defect

I bet Halo 5 will be good considering they're performing a...

virgin sacrifice.

cricket-o.gif

J10

Banned

No. Endless customization, proper AI difficulty scaling, actual consequences for playing poorly, theater mode integration, and a total absence of bad characterizations, shitty writing, and switch flipping would be preferable. SpOps was inferior to Firefight in every way.

TCKaos

I bet Halo 5 will be good considering they're performing a...

virgin sacrifice.

ihxQiXMKLcCL.gif

Seriously though, FFA? New gametypes every week?

I can't be assed to read the rules, are we dealing with another situation where players are going to be starving themselves and depriving themselves of sleep to near lethal levels to win a window cling?

New news, new threads. It's a big reason our shit got locked and split in the first place.

Yeah cause that worked out, there is now 3 Halo threads when very few people are actively play a Halo game at all.

I'll ask this here, cause it will just get buried there: prize deposited into "Virgin Gaming Account"? What is this?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah cause that worked out, there is now 3 Halo threads when very few people are actively play a Halo game at all.

I'll ask this here, cause it will just get buried there: prize deposited into "Virgin Gaming Account"? What is this?

You gotta register for an account on Virgin Gaming. If you win the money get deposited there. After that you transfer it to a real account.

Top Bottom