• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Fracas

#fuckonami
Will there be a competitive variant of Vertigo that doesn't have the EMP button?

edit: oh and is ricochet getting its own playlist or is it going in action sack/grifball? It sounds fun, in an arcadey kind of way.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Will there be a competitive variant of Vertigo that doesn't have the EMP button?

edit: oh and is ricochet getting its own playlist or is it going in action sack/grifball? It sounds fun, in an arcadey kind of way.

I believe vertigo switch can be disabled. Ricochet will have high priority initially and have to"earn" playlist which it probably will because it's stupid fun. Never ONCE had to explain how to play to anyone

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Not really.

5v5 CTF on Pit was very popular

K at airport drinking non alcoholic beverages ask away.

dlc will be implemented in normal fashion and ricochet mode will be joined at hip with pitfall for two weeks.

Frank that poor kid asking about the glitched Warthog. You totally made him feel like shit. Answer was hilarious!

Also props for Bill Laimbeer mention.

Anyway, CA made the Pit remake I'm guessing. Any idea on playlists you guys are looking to implement it in? Also, why not make it look as close to the original as possible? And then whose idea was it to include the crate jumps that MLG put in back in Halo 3? Also, top of bases are closed off or open? Sorry if these were answered in the panel, I wasn't able to watch the entire thing.

I thought I heard Bravo say that in Ricochet, throwing the ball into the score zone nets you less points than running it in. The gametype really intrigues me. It's like Grifball meets Assault meets H4Ball. I'm a huge Objective fan, so anything new on that front is awesome.

Will Legendary Slayer have AAs or Sprint? Who knows? I hope not. Then you could get a really sweet classic Pit game going. Also wondering if Legendary is reserved to Slayer, or if CTF will get a variant, too (obviously this is totally dependent on what Legendary actually means...)

TCKaos

dlc will be implemented in normal fashion and ricochet mode will be joined at hip with pitfall for two weeks.

How'd you guys manage to implement Mark V/ODST/Prefect, as well as these and the Series 2 Action Figure armor skins?

Did you guys implement some sort of backend that let you modify the .map files indirectly after launch? This is what you tinkered with during the Defiant Map Pack with that Bob helmet, right?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can you adjust scoring in Ricochet based on Distance the ball is thrown? Potentially awesome basketball gametype can be made. Thinking about 3 pointers and other stuff

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Frank that poor kid asking about the glitched Warthog. You totally made him feel like shit. Answer was hilarious!

Also props for Bill Laimbeer mention.

Anyway, CA made the Pit remake I'm guessing. Any idea on playlists you guys are looking to implement it in? Also, why not make it look as close to the original as possible? And then whose idea was it to include the crate jumps that MLG put in back in Halo 3? Also, top of bases are closed off or open? Sorry if these were answered in the panel, I wasn't able to watch the entire thing.

pit can be made "identical" to old pit and will be in some lists. Rooms above are not accessible (wreckage) and playlists will be logical slayer and objective games. Map is not identical in scale for obvious reasons but feels more or less the same

pit can be made "identical" to old pit and will be in some lists. Rooms above are not accessible (wreckage) and playlists will be logical slayer and objective games. Map is not identical in scale for obvious reasons but feels more or less the same

Rejoice!

weapon skins most underwhelming idea ever

SPNKR assault rifle skin and steam punk skins beg to differ. I like em. Not to mention full ODST armour, ah thank you.

Since Ricochet shows that you guys are able to add new game types, is one flag being considered to be added in? Most of the launch maps are asymmetrical and would play great with it.

TCKaos

Since Ricochet shows that you guys are able to add new game types, is one flag being considered to be added in? Most of the launch maps are asymmetrical and would play great with it.

Everything here is being done with Megalo, as far as I can tell. One flag has already been created by modders using Megalo.

The issue is actually getting 343i to implement their own rendition of it in matchmaking, as they did with mini-slayer (which was getting played in custom game lobbies months ago). They've got to develop their own internal version with their own code so that it's up to their standards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a fan-made version of Ricochet within the next few weeks, even playable on a Forge remake of The Pit.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Everything here is being done with Megalo, as far as I can tell. One flag has already been created by modders using Megalo.

The issue is actually getting 343i to implement their own rendition of it in matchmaking, as they did with mini-slayer (which was getting played in custom game lobbies months ago). They've got to develop their own internal version with their own code so that it's up to their standards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a fan-made version of Ricochet within the next few weeks, even playable on a Forge remake of The Pit.

It would really only require coding to make it so you can score by throwing the ball.

gAg CruSh3r

Hey Frank, can you add more scoring hills in the new game type Ricochet? If so this will be perfect for a rugby spin off game type! ( I already started making one anyways..)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pretty spot on.

jkPH2WwYtEubV.png
They look off.

Havok

That's fine. I personally think adding more players to CTF on the core 4v4 maps makes for a worse experience almost universally (happened to Halo 3 with Team Objective to Social Skirmish, happened to Reach's Team Objective, and was there from the start with 4). If the settings are right, maybe, but history isn't on the side of those decisions being made correctly.

And if there's anything that a lot of Halo 4's CTF changes have taught me, it's that things that were common for customs or people like the MLG community (a near-constant flag waypoint, for example, or 5 points to score on most maps) don't always generalize to matchmaking well.

I like The Pit, I like that they're releasing a map that fits well with their gametype suite, which is something that's been sorely lacking with other DLC releases. It's just hard to be excited when I remember that I don't think the gametypes are any good.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Anyone going to be on Halo 4 later? I want to try out a map I made using the Mongoose and Forklift gametype that Synth from Se7ensins made.

I believe vertigo switch can be disabled. Ricochet will have high priority initially and have to"earn" playlist which it probably will because it's stupid fun. Never ONCE had to explain how to play to anyone

Brutes and ODST ever returning to halo or are we ignoring them now.

Tunavi

Banned
give me ur currency
I will if 343 makes a halo game that goes back to the roots of the franchise while adding revolutionary features at the same time

Hope austin treated you well. I would have been at Rtx but work has kept me busy and I haven't been too excited by anything halo related lately.

Also, put cea on demand please

Man, Steampunk just does nothing for me unless its like The Order 1886 and its alt reality stuff still in that time period. Really could not care about those skins, New Armor is cool I guess, I'd like a technical explanation on how its possible (fyrewulff?) The Pit is a solid map but I'd have preferred guardian and the other new maps looks okay I guess.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Apparently there's at least a bunch of on unused Reach stuff on disc. Remember that they're also reusing a bunch of stuff too.

Well, I don't think the entire set of code is on there. The people who made the Race gametype even said that they had to do some stuff to make it work in Halo 4, since a lot of stuff was changed.

FyreWulff

Man, Steampunk just does nothing for me unless its like The Order 1886 and its alt reality stuff still in that time period. Really could not care about those skins, New Armor is cool I guess, I'd like a technical explanation on how its possible (fyrewulff?) The Pit is a solid map but I'd have preferred guardian and the other new maps looks okay I guess.

You just(tm) add the new assets to the .map file, then create UI in the patch that lets you select the assets you added.

They didn't do it before because

a) doing so makes the map's file signature no longer match, which means
ab) The game will no longer see them as the same map
ac) which means it breaks LAN, which is something Bungie apparently avoided.
ad) the other boxes can't see the new assets even if you did trick it into loading the map anyway, and will explode / set your house on fire / melt

also b) you have memory concerns.

The advantage of not having LAN compat (Halo 4, Reach TU) is you can add assets and just tell everyone to patch to latest if they want to continue to play together. The downside is you lose the ease of setting up a LAN (in h2 or h3, all you needed was the host box patched - all the clients would act like the later version once connected to it). The upside is you have a lot more freedom to fix and change things that would normally cause desync, like client-side stuff and certain animation issues. And 343 is finally using this.

Bungie did this already actually. They added a new weapon in Sandbox, but it was stuck only playable on Sandbox. They added new vehicles with the Transport Hornet, the Soccerball and the Golfball, but they're also stuck on the maps they were added onto. In Reach, Bungie added the special Elite Purple Reign Bomb for Breakpoint, but it was stuck on Breakpoint only. They could have in theory retroactively added those to the shipping Halo 3 or Reach maps, due to how the engine is set up.

Then 343 added the changeable Magnum, DMR, and NR, which had certain client-side behaviors (zero reticule bloom, and more notable the Magnum's RoF change) that required upping the game version number and breaking LAN. The Anniversary magnum actually works on every single Reach multiplayer map, because it hotpatches what essentially is a new magnum into all of them.

They apparently tried to add the new Reach armor, but it fell through for reasons we don't know.

The downside to adding armor, especially in Reach, is you have to patch it into every single .map that players can customize their armor on. In Reach, this was EVERYWHERE (campaign, multiplayer, firefight), which means you have to find memory in every single inch of the game to stick that helmet into. And some of the campaign maps alone, according to Bungie employees in unrelated interviews, were redlining already. It's a possible reason why the new Reach armor died on the vine. Either they didn't have enough memory or not enough patch file size (Reach seems to be subject to the old 4MB patch limit) or it wasn't worth the risk:reward.

Halo 4 has the advantage that customization is not available in Campaign, so they can ignore that part of the game completely. They only need to patch in the new assets to Spartan Ops and Multiplayer Maps, and Halo 4 is compiled with the newer SDK that stores patches permanently and can have anywhere from 4MB to 3GB patches. They have a lot more breathing room in multiplayer and Spops maps. Plus, they don't have to worry about film compatibility for SPOPS, only mutliplayer, which further reduces their test load to do this.

tl;dr the TU adds the new armor and weapons (I believe Halo 4 treats skinned weapons as their own weap and not just a new tex on the same gun model). To use them, you're going to be buying a software key to let you select them in the UI so everyone else playing Halo 4 can see you wearing the armor. The maps themselves are DLC data you're going to have to download.

Shadders

HA the steampunk weapons look crazy! Carbine looks hot, AR does't really look steampunk though, looks like the blinged up piece of some Columbian drug lord.. I don't think that's a bad thing..

Great to have The Pit back. Vertigo looks to lack verticality for a map with that name..

Will get day one, of course.

Top Bottom