• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

J10

Banned
So it gets rid of stopping power, then?

I'm in disbelief that they're adding more perks to this game. It's a complete U-Turn to the steps they've made in the right direction in the last couple months.

It makes total sense to me. They're not gonna get back the players they've lost. Might as well offer up some content for the ones they still have who actually like the game. Hang it up. They got plans and you ain't a part of it.

Gui_PT

I have an idea for 343

The idea of players dying because they got themselves in a bad situation or because they encountered a better player is a really outdated idea.

From now on, players just don't die.
Instead you get points for dealing damage.
For example, a stickie is 500 damage, 2 BR bursts do 300 damage, a shotgun does 400 damage close range.

The player who got the most points(by dealing the most damage to other players) wins the match.

This way, all the new/ bad kids you want playing your game won't feel bad for dying... because they never will!

Forget Juices.

Hire Gui.

I have an idea for 343

The idea of players dying because they got themselves in a bad situation or because they encountered a better player is a really outdated idea.

For example, a stickie is 500 damage, 2 BR bursts do 300 damage, a shotgun does 400 damage close range.

The player who got the most points(by dealing the most damage to other players) wins the match.

This way, all the new/ bad kids you want playing your game won't feel bad for dying... because they never will!

Forget Juices.

Hire Gui.

Thats freakin brilliant. Except multiply all those points by ten so it looks like everyone is doing REALLY AWESOME.

I have an idea for 343

Forget Juices.

Hire Gui.

Thats freakin brilliant. Except multiply all those points by ten so it looks like everyone is doing REALLY AWESOME.

Halo 5: Spartans Never Die
(they just faint)

I have an idea for 343

Forget Juices.

Hire Gui.

A group of rogue Spartans that are eco terrorists.
They are trying to waste the universe's energy supply via draining their enemy's energy shields.
They simply lower shields and then allow them to recharge, wasting many AA batteries worth of energy.
Their movement forces the UNSC to disband the Spartan program altogether due to energy consumption.
Chief runs away because he loves his suit and the way it sounds when it recharges shields.

That is why he has to hide his suit under his cloak, because it is illegal.

Omni

A group of rogue Spartans that are eco terrorists.
They are trying to waste the universe's energy supply via draining their enemy's energy shields.
They simply lower shields and then allow them to recharge, wasting many AA batteries worth of energy.
Their movement forces the UNSC to disband the Spartan program altogether due to energy consumption.
Chief runs away because he loves his suit and the way it sounds when it recharges shields.

That is why he has to hide his suit under his cloak, because it is illegal.
Makes too much sense to be a story developed by 343i. Needs more QTE.

"We're making a truly immersive and cinematic experience with the campaign on a scale never before seen in a Halo game. We want players to feel part of the action"

PRESS X TO PUT ON YOUR SOMBRERO
PRESS B TO WEAR YOUR PONCHO

Madness

Why are the coming up with new perks? Perks completely fucked up the gameplay along with loadouts.

This just means they've spent the past year thinking of new perks to add and it definitely means they'll continue this shit with Halo 5.

Who was honestly asking for more perks? If anything, I'd rather they make it so players can die and vehicles can remain. We don't need players getting a tank, getting a running riot and then ejecting away when they get hoarded.

Oh I know I'm a rare oddity in my fondness towards Reach's gameplay, but I honestly hate how melee is relegated to almost uselessness because of the rifles.

Reach tonight?

Any dongers also? Me and Devo are getting on in about an hour.

V Yup I get off work in 30 minutes too.

TCKaos

Should also advertise Mountain Dew and Doritos during match breaks to keep players rejuvenated after such an intense experience

iQJD16nX7XJZx.gif

blamite

After all the improvements to Halo 4 lately, I absolutely cannot fucking believe they're actually going back and adding even more balance-destroying perks. Unbelievable.

Shouldn't the people who are actually paying attention to what the community wants have shot these down when they were first suggested?

As for the Pitfall aesthetics debate: The Pit as pretty damn ugly. That said, Pitfall looks even worse visually. For all of Bungie's questionable color choices on the original, at least the end result was a relatively clean looking map with high visual clarity and little unnecessary clutter. Pitfall's aesthetics are unnecessarily cluttered with no benefit to gameplay only the potential to damage players' experiences. See the giant blinding lights on Wreckage for an example of the worst-case scenario.

Basically I'd rather have a less-than beautiful map with few distractions and clean geometry than a prettier version of the same map set across the street from the coolest explosion on the planet with debris blowing in the wind and piles of sand everywhere.

yzYKL5Ql.png

New perks that are tied to DLC? =/

I'm still pretty excited for everything else.. but I do wish it had one more map.

Are there any decent pics of the new armor and skins yet?

After all the improvements to Halo 4 lately, I absolutely cannot fucking believe they're actually going back and adding even more balance-destroying perks. Unbelievable.

Shouldn't the people who are actually paying attention to what the community wants have shot these down when they were first suggested?

As for the Pitfall aesthetics debate: The Pit as pretty damn ugly. That said, Pitfall looks even worse visually. For all of Bungie's questionable color choices on the original, at least the end result was a relatively clean looking map with high visual clarity and little unnecessary clutter. Pitfall's aesthetics are unnecessarily cluttered with no benefit to gameplay only the potential to damage players' experiences. See the giant blinding lights on Wreckage for an example of the worst-case scenario.

Basically I'd rather have a less-than beautiful map with few distractions and clean geometry than a prettier version of the same map set across the street from the coolest explosion on the planet with debris blowing in the wind and piles of sand everywhere.

Shouldn't other playlists and styles get some love too? For Infinity or custom loadout playlists what is wrong with providing some more options? If you look at Throwdown or BTB Pro these sorts of perks will either by disabled or will be enabled across the board for all players as a base trait. So what's the issue there exactly?

In essence the game is stripped down for hardcore classic settings so why shit on such things being provided to other play styles or could be disabled/base trait for the classic settings themselves?

I don't get the hate and you can't tell me Halo 4 hasn't received a shit ton of support in shaping the more classic playlists/maps for matchmaking in recent months.

I agree about multiplayer maps staying clean, they should be simple clean lines with great texture work and skybox or some interactive elements. Forget clutter and minute details as they just get in the way.

More Ozzy slrp? Never woulda guessed.

We are upset because the game already has enough perks. More than 1 is more than enough perks.

Halo shouldnt have perks.

Stripped down Halo is best Halo. This game peaks at 26K now. NOBODY WANTS PERKS.

Stop fucking slrping 343's d. The game is bad you can admit that.

Ramirez

yzYKL5Ql.png

Grenades are so fucked by that mound of sand, hahaha. Someone really needs to learn to tell the artists no.

FYC

Banned
What the hell at new perks / armor mods. Deep down I was hoping they would take away some perks in an update, but this... Fuck.

I can't believe that new armor mod in particular. WHAT THE CHRIST

You can't seriously call not dying when your vehicle explodes a playstyle.

Yo wait, do you seriously automatically eject if you blow up or do you have to manually do it? If it's the former... #hirejuices #hirejuices #hirejuices

Fracas

#fuckonami
You can't seriously call not dying when your vehicle explodes a playstyle. Same goes for not being slowed when shot while sprinting. Lowered shield recharge delay that stacks with the other perk is just gross.

I honestly cannot believe that after proving they have the potential to make their game playable again, this happens. What kind of frankenstein's monster is BTB going to be now? Plasma pistols at spawn, vehicles that resist EMPs with passengers that can't die from being blown up... I just don't get it. This goes against the changes that have been made; what's the point?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
X-post from Halo:

So, I've been messing with this gametype. It basically allows you to combine any object in the game. The "Mongoose" label is the main thing and the "Forklift" label is for stuff that you want to merge with the "Mongoose". You can merge vehicles, weapons, and other stuff. The only vehicle that works as a "Forklift" is the Mantis, though, so you can't combine a Shade Turret with a Ghost to make a pseudo-Spectre.
Some stuff that can be made with it:

- Merge base turret with a Warthog to make a portable turret delivery system (Mongoose explodes during activation, but Warthog just moves upwards).

- Merge a Mantis onto a Banshee to make a Falcon-like vehicle.

- Merge a building with a Warthog to make a portable shield (you can shoot out from the inside, but you can't shoot in from the outside).

Stuff that I thought of but haven't tried:

- Portable capture plates (the gametype is a Slayer one, and there's no CTF gametype for this)

Also, you can clip through every "Forklift", and explosive "Forklifts" don't work. :( If you use a Kill Ball as a "Forklift", it destroys the vehicle, and if you walk through it, it doesn't kill you (I suspect it's a ghost Kill Ball that stays when the vehicle blows up, though).

Omni

You can't seriously call not dying when your vehicle explodes a playstyle. Same goes for not being slowed when shot while sprinting. Lowered shield recharge delay that stacks with the other perk is just gross.

I honestly cannot believe that after proving they have the potential to make their game playable again, this happens. What kind of frankenstein's monster is BTB going to be now? Plasma pistols at spawn, vehicles that resist EMPs with passengers that can't die from being blown up... I just don't get it. This goes against the changes that have been made; what's the point?
It wasn't fair to people who drove vehicles and got blown up by semi-coordinated fire and the abundance of power weapons. Just wasn't accessible enough

TCKaos

Yo wait, do you seriously automatically eject if you blow up or do you have to manually do it? If it's the former... #hirejuices #hirejuices #hirejuices

From what we know so far it looks like you'll bail out of a vehicle as soon as it's destroyed, meaning you'll survive the destruction.

Is this what they thought we meant when we wanted the PP/Plasma combo nerfed? We wanted the actual nerf, not a buff in the opposite direction, now all you're going to do is increase the amount of people who use PP/Plasmas because actually managing to win an encounter no longer means you win an encounter. Say what you want about all the other unnecessary shit introduced to the franchise recently, that's probably the single most antithetical thing to not just Halo, but multiplayer video games.

If an enemy has this perk equipped, even if you manage to destroy a fully staffed vehicle yourself - not just disable, not flip, but outright destroy the enemy vehicle while the enemy is still inside, it didn't matter. It's literally preventing death. It's worse than Armor Lock in that at least with Armor Lock you weren't actually dead when it was triggered, or it didn't trigger automatically as soon as you were about to die. This perk has the game literally prevent your death for you with no input of your own.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Well, I supposed it would be rather difficult to destroy a vehicle without killing the person inside. It would really only happen if the vehicle was destroyed by bullets, and not by an explosion.

It's still bad, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the new perks are a perplexing choice, to say the least. 343's been doing a decent job fixing Halo 4 lately: Forge maps, weapon rebalance, Slayer Pro in Infinity Slayer... Those have all been awesome.

But perks are bad. Bad 343, bad. Less bad and more awesome, please.

GhaleonEB

I heard about new perks being added, and while I'm surprised they added more, I figured they wouldn't be too bad given the learnings 343 must have picked up from the release and reaction to the original set. But they really do sound pretty bad.

The vehicle eject sounds like a good way to further wreak BTB by making outcomes less certain. Now you won't know if you toast a vehicle whether the dude is going to pop out okay or not. The lesson from Reach and Halo 4 is random outcomes is not desirable in the Halo sandbox, but 343 is adding more. Kind of baffling considering the trend toward refining things over the past few months.

I'm really only paying attention to Halo out of muscle memory at this point, and to see where 343 would take Halo 4 as a way of seeing where their thought processes might point Halo 5 to. Not a good sign, IMO.

DeadNames

Banned
I heard about new perks being added, and while I'm surprised they added more, I figured they wouldn't be too bad given the learnings 343 must have picked up from the release and reaction to the original set. But they really do sound pretty bad.

The vehicle eject sounds like a good way to further wreak BTB by making outcomes less certain. Now you won't know if you toast a vehicle whether the dude is going to pop out okay or not. The lesson from Reach and Halo 4 is random outcomes is not desirable in the Halo sandbox, but 343 is adding more. Kind of baffling considering the trend toward refining things over the past few months.

I'm really only paying attention to Halo out of muscle memory at this point, and to see where 343 would take Halo 4 as a way of seeing where their thought processes might point Halo 5 to. Not a good sign, IMO.

No kidding :(

60 fps and dedis can't cover up camo sniping.

Are we sure they are confirmed? Cause they really sound so dumb that they really could have been made up by a 6 year old.

The first two were directly from the mouths of 343 employees and the third was from what is clearly an MS PR release about the bundle of content in that article, so yeah they are definitely real, unless something has drastically changed in the last week (chances of that are next to none).

The first two were directly from the mouths of 343 employees and the third was from what is clearly an MS PR release about the bundle of content in that article, so yeah they are definitely real, unless something has drastically changed in the last week (chances of that are next to none).

vader.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No kidding :(

60 fps and dedis can't cover up camo sniping.
I laughed when the guy narrating the Pitfall video at RTX complained about camo snipers. 343, even the people doing your reveals hate that shit.

Man, the idea of a modern successor to Halo 2 sounds so absurdly nice. Build off of that, 343. Imagine if that's what we had instead of Halo 4.

I'm curious of the implementation though. If only some playlists and the next level down some voting variants have them enabled for custom loadouts is it that bad?

I don't view them as black or white, I see this as adding some grey areas. BTB pro settings just wouldn't enable these or maybe only have a selection on as default traits for all players. Again it's the implementation and I have no issue with an Infinity style playlist having the full blown custom version with BTB Pro having none or a selection as base traits.

Honestly after seeing the ongoing restructure of playlists, voting variants and the loadouts for settings isn't this just an extension of that in each specific setting?

How many here wanted faster shield time to start recharging since the weapon tuning went live? Now that's a thing and it may be it can be Forged or at least playlist specific e.g. Throwdown has all players enabled for fast recharging, resupply, no-flinch etc where as Infinity has the customisable Spartan loadouts. To me this falls in line with all the good 343i have been doing lately and it seems on the surface the knee-jerk reactions here are forgetting that.

GhaleonEB

I'm curious of the implementation though. If only some playlists and the next level down some voting variants have them enabled for custom loadouts is it that bad?

I don't view them as black or white, I see this as adding some grey areas.

Personally, you could apply this entire sentence to the concept of perks in Halo. And the answer is, yes. I think perks were disastrous in Halo 4 and had a lot to do with why I gave the game away, so it's dismaying to see 343 double down on them regardless of what playlists they let them into. The game needed a lot less clutter, not more.

DeadNames

Banned
I laughed when the guy narrating the Pitfall video at RTX complained about camo snipers. 343, even the people doing your reveals hate that shit.

Man, the idea of a modern successor to Halo 2 sounds so absurdly nice. Build off of that, 343. Imagine if that's what we had instead of Halo 4.

I hate to ask, but does anyone have the link to the panel?

DeadNames

Banned
Well, it says armor mod which implies singular and it was rumored that there would be two so maybe it's just confusion?

Right?

...Right?

Top Bottom