• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

FyreWulff

I'm curious of the implementation though. If only some playlists and the next level down some voting variants have them enabled for custom loadouts is it that bad?

They're global mods, just like the other ones.

And they feel like they're a bandaid on top of bandaid of the foundation of the game. Perks seemed to have been invented to counter the changes made to the game. Everyone can start with PP? Make a perk that counters it. Ghal and others pointed this out before. These new perks are just another layer of countering problems 343 introduced. Everyone has a power weapon from GO and PO? Make it so you survive your vehicle being destroyed. Who needs to choose between a power weapon or vehicle anymore when you'll safely drop out of a destroyed Banshee? What's the point of sneaking up on a Scorpion and grenading it when the driver will be safe? Who would even bother attacking a Warthog with the EMP, Eject, and Chaingun perks on it's occupants?

Why is the feedback system been thrown into the wind for this game? There's player sandbox realization and then there's I don't know if a person had a perk or if the game lagged a bit.

If I shoot someone and land hits, I expect the outcome to be the same depending on how many I land and how fast. Now sometimes when you shoot someone, they won't slow down. This is a base mechanic of the game. Stop fucking with the feedback system. The game doesn't even consistently follow it's own internal rules. This is Ludology 101: Inputs should always have the same Outputs, unless you have a distinct Tell that instructs the player that the Output will be different.

And they feel like they're a bandaid on top of bandaid of the foundation of the game. Perks seemed to have been invented to counter the changes made to the game. Everyone can start with PP? Make a perk that counters it. Ghal and others pointed this out before. These new perks are just another layer of countering problems 343 introduced. Everyone has a power weapon from GO and PO? Make it so you survive your vehicle being destroyed. Who needs to choose between a power weapon or vehicle anymore when you'll safely drop out of a destroyed Banshee? What's the point of sneaking up on a Scorpion and grenading it when the driver will be safe? Who would even bother attacking a Warthog with the EMP, Eject, and Chaingun perks on it's occupants?

Why is the feedback system been thrown into the wind for this game? There's player sandbox realization and then there's I don't know if a person had a perk or if the game lagged a bit.

If I shoot someone and land hits, I expect the outcome to be the same depending on how many I land and how fast. Now sometimes when you shoot someone, they won't slow down. This is a base mechanic of the game. Stop fucking with the feedback system. The game doesn't even consistently follow it's own internal rules. This is Ludology 101: Inputs should always have the same Outputs, unless you have a distinct Tell that instructs the player that the Output will be different.
Nail, meet head.

Good games tonight everybody. Sorry I was in "shit-on-Halo" mode. This new announcement has totally deflated what little enthusiasm the playlist changes and weapon rebalances inspired in me.

I'm curious of the implementation though. If only some playlists and the next level down some voting variants have them enabled for custom loadouts is it that bad?

I don't view them as black or white, I see this as adding some grey areas. BTB pro settings just wouldn't enable these or maybe only have a selection on as default traits for all players. Again it's the implementation and I have no issue with an Infinity style playlist having the full blown custom version with BTB Pro having none or a selection as base traits.

Honestly after seeing the ongoing restructure of playlists, voting variants and the loadouts for settings isn't this just an extension of that in each specific setting?

How many here wanted faster shield time to start recharging since the weapon tuning went live? Now that's a thing and it may be it can be Forged or at least playlist specific e.g. Throwdown has all players enabled for fast recharging, resupply, no-flinch etc where as Infinity has the customisable Spartan loadouts. To me this falls in line with all the good 343i have been doing lately and it seems on the surface the knee-jerk reactions here are forgetting that.

This is a reply to your previous post and this one, but the situations you're describing simply don't exist.

You say that this doesn't affect pro settings and thus isn't a big deal for those that oppose this, but lets look at how it doesn't work that way:
-First point, before looking at the actual MM breakdown is that custom loadouts are featured in the core gametypes of Halo 4. This has been like this from the beginning, hasn't changed, and isn't going to change. Naturally that renders the core experience altered by these new perks.
-Now let's look at MM playlists:
-There are 16 playlist currently in matchmaking
-Lets remove playlists that feature fringe gametypes and settings because they are not relevant to the settings of core Halo settings (SWAT, Action Sack, Snipers, Flood, Grifball)
-That leaves us with 11 playlists featuring core Halo gametypes
-10 of those 11 playlists feature custom loadouts and are therefore affected by these new perks. The one that doesn't is Throwdown, which doesn't even feature settings made by the developers of the game and in any case is a fringe community of players and consistently has a very low population.
-Given that, to say that this is simply catering to certain people's "playstyles" and doesn't affect those that don't want is quite simply false.
-Implementation: there is simply no evidence to support the idea that these won't be in any gametype with custom loadouts, because you know, 343 themselves have said that they have no way of restricting or forcing any items in a custom loadout.​

A few more items:
-Looks like at least one of the perks is paywalled, that's awesome
-Your point about new perks being implemented into community settings such as Throwdown remains to be seen. Remember that perks from specializations cannot be added to set loadouts, so being able to add these isn't a guarantee.
-On top of everything else, these perks (at the very least the vehicle one) appear to have a pretty significant game-altering effect (arguably more so than the perks already in the game).

Well, it says armor mod which implies singular and it was rumored that there would be two so maybe it's just confusion?

Right?

...Right?

The PR release from the article today stated that an armor mod was a timed exclusive for those that purchase the bundle, and described a mod different than the two the 343 employees described in Major Nelson's podcast.

--------------------

And yeah, Fyrewulf's post is spot on. The band-aid design to this game is so frustrating, I truly believe that band-aid style of design is very bad design.

That's how I prefer to play Halo too and solid explanation by the way mate. I don't understand how I SLRP so hard when I just want to discuss things out and look at possibilities but whatever there.

The interesting things about your comments are those inputs/outputs will not change for the playlists many posters here frequent e.g. Throwdown or BTB Pro. When you look say those two examples it's most likely this:

1. Still fixed loadouts based on the current playlist/settings and weapon tuning.
2. Turn ON new mod for shield delay to recharge faster. To me this will be a base trait for all players in these more classic playlists and help speed up the game, reduce cheap respawn kills and keep the input/output predictable.
3. Turn OFF the ejector seat.

So again I comment for the other variants does it matter to you or the classic Halo you prefer? In fact some of the mods will most likely benefit the current classic playlists.

You know pickup grenades (Resupply perk), even starts (fixed loadouts) and faster gameplay (weapons tuning, base movement, Recharge perk) while keeping the feedback loop intact.

When I want to play Infinity (less than 25% of my games) I don't mind having these new mods available as custom loadouts.

This is a reply to your previous post and this one, but the situations you're describing simply don't exist.

You say that this doesn't affect pro settings and thus isn't a big deal for those that oppose this, but lets look at how it doesn't work that way:
-First point, before looking at the actual MM breakdown is that custom loadouts are featured in the core gametypes of Halo 4. This has been like this from the beginning, hasn't changed, and isn't going to change. Naturally that renders the core experience altered by these new perks.
-Now let's look at MM playlists:
-There are 16 playlist currently in matchmaking
-Lets remove playlists that feature fringe gametypes and settings because they are not relevant to the settings of core Halo settings (SWAT, Action Sack, Snipers, Flood, Grifball)
-That leaves us with 11 playlists featuring core Halo gametypes
-10 of those 11 playlists feature custom loadouts and are therefore affected by these new perks. The one that doesn't is Throwdown, which doesn't even featuring settings made by the developers of the game and in any case is a fringe community of players and consistently has a very low population.
-Given that, to say that this is simply catering to certain people's "playstyles" and doesn't affect those that don't want is quite simply false.
-Implementation: there is simply no evidence to support the idea that these won't be in any gametype with custom loadouts, because you know, 343 themselves have said that they have no way of restricting or forcing any items in a custom loadout.​

A few more items:
-Looks like at least one of the perks is paywalled, that's awesome
-Your point about new perks being implemented into community settings such as Throwdown remains to be seen. Remember that perks from specializations cannot be added to set loadouts, so being able to add these isn't a guarantee.
-On top of everything else, these perks (at the very least the vehicle one) appear to have a pretty significant game-altering effect (arguably more so than the perks already in the game).

The PR release from the article today stated that an armor mod was a timed exclusive for those that purchase the bundle, and described a mod different than the two the 343 employees described in Major Nelson's podcast.

--------------------

And yeah, Fyrewulf's post is spot on. The band-aid design to this game is so frustrating, I truly believe that band-aid style of design is very bad design.

BTB Pro is a variant in a play list that doesn't offer custom loadouts, it has fixed loadouts. It's that sort of thing I mean is a cross section of how the new stuff will be implemented. The thing is the Recharge mod is actually a benefit that was community requested so we don't need to jump on the against the new stuff altogether bandwagon, was some of my point. I agree with Authoritative Shark's (Fyrewulf) post for over 75% of my games too, I select the playlist that suits what I want to play at the time. Occasionally (approx. 25%) I do enjoy the Infinity setup too, shoot me.

BTB Pro is a variant in a play list that doesn't offer custom loadouts, it has fixed loadouts. It's that sort of thing I mean is a cross section of how the new stuff will be implemented. I agree with Authoritative Shark's (Fyrewulf) post for over 75% of my games too, I select the playlist that suits what I want to play at the time. Occasionally (approx. 25%) I do enjoy the Infinity setup too, shoot me.

I'm not criticizing you for enjoying Infinity or any other non-Pro gametype that features custom loadouts.

Saying that people can frequent BTB Pro if they don't want perks and new paywalled perks is simply not possible because BTB Pro exists in a playlists with a gametype that features custom loadouts. Stating "BTB Pro is a variant in a play list that doesn't offer custom loadouts" is not true.

I'm not criticizing you for enjoying Infinity or any other non-Pro gametype that features custom loadouts.

Saying that people can frequent BTB Pro if they don't want perks and new paywalled perks is simply not possible because BTB Pro exists in a playlists with a gametype that features custom loadouts. Stating "BTB Pro is a variant in a play list that doesn't offer custom loadouts" is not true.

I agree the playlists could provide better separation rather than voting variants. It's a weird balance and a long standing point of contention to work out so I'm patient in that respect. I'm yet to see an epiphany moment throughout past Halo games and I doubt one is coming with Halo Xbox One either.

They're testing a bunch of stuff now for the next gen title to "nail this aspect" of Halo multiplayer and Halo 4 will continue to be a shape shifter IMO. I'm almost positive now of Halo Xbox One going social vs. ranked split and then the Halo 4 voting variants. I'd prefer to see it as one map with 3 voting variants and then a veto round with a second map and the same 3 voting variants. It would make an interesting outcome to games played/voted for.

I agree with you that the playlist should represent a "core setting" to really talk to certain demographics or play styles. Perhaps one vote variant should provide some change up so it gets players into other lists or settings too? I can see why they don't want to just always delivery one experience all the time.

DeadNames

Banned
Wow, this is a mess. The panel mentioned nothing of a perk. Can I get a link to the pages that describe these mods?

Oh man, this Q&A. SLRP SLRP. If I were there...

"Who suggested active camo and jetpack to remain?"

"Why was flinch implemented?"

This chubby British dude has it down though.

I agree the playlists could provide better separation rather than voting variants. It's a weird balance and a long standing point of contention to work out so I'm patient in that respect. I'm yet to see an epiphany moment throughout past Halo games and I doubt one is coming with Halo Xbox One either.

They're testing a bunch of stuff now for the next gen title to "nail this aspect" of Halo multiplayer and Halo 4 will continue to be a shape shifter IMO. I'm almost positive now of Halo Xbox One going social vs. ranked split and then the Halo 4 voting variants. I'd prefer to see it as one map with 3 voting variants and then a veto round with a second map and the same 3 voting variants. It would make an interesting outcome to games played/voted for.

I agree with you that the playlist should represent a "core setting" to really talk to certain demographics or play styles. Perhaps one vote variant should provide some change up so it gets players into other lists or settings too? I can see why they don't want to just always delivery one experience all the time.

Yeah as someone that prefers Slayer Pro to Infinity Slayer in H4, I'm glad I get to play Slayer Pro in MM, but that said, I believe that integrating Slayer Pro into Infinity Slayer lists (4v4 and 8v8) is actually a mistake. Those gametypes are so different, they have no business being in the same hopper with each other.

The real core issue though is with the game itself. Halo has become is thing where they try to appeal to literally every single taste in the world instead of having a concise vision for the game. It leads to a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation and inevitably spills into matchmaking.

Wow, this is a mess. The panel mentioned nothing of a perk. Can I get a link to the pages that describe these mods?

The two perks mentioned as a part of a TU: Here

The third perk as a timed exclusive as a part of the content bundle: Here

Defect

Oh man, this Q&A. SLRP SLRP. If I were there...

"Who suggested active camo and jetpack to remain?"

"Why was flinch implemented?"

This chubby British dude has it down though.

Were there any decent questions at all?

DeadNames

Banned
Were there any decent questions at all?

Lemme summarize it for you.

"I uh.. I r-really like the umm... new things you introduced and uh I was w-wondering... Could y-you tell us about Halo 5 and Dylan Ryder?

All whilst wearing a Pokemon shirt and a pimply face.

Madness

If the majority of players feel shields recharge too slow or take too long to start recharging, especially post title update, here's what you do, you make shields recharge faster or reduce the time it takes to recharge and put it in the next title update or patch it in. You don't make a perk out of it so that it's a solution for only a few players.

Maybe some people can mod and apply it universally, but if it's a perk, it'll also take a slot that is needed for something else.

Who even wanted these perks? I don't understand how anyone at 343 can sit there, 7 months post launch, see the position on the XBL charts, see the intense drop off in the Halo fanbase and then decide maybe if we add new perks, one that will allow those who just abuse tank or gauss cannon the ability to survive.

I'm going to seriously debate whether to even get this new map pack now. Do I really care about pitfall, MK V or ODST armor enough? Probably not, not anymore.

malfcn

Any bundle that has all the DLC, War Games and Champs?
The armor looks cool and Ricochet looks like it could be fun.

And for Halo 5 they should allow a toggle to share or hide your CSR from match making.
That way you can see your progress in game, and show off. But for people that may get hated on, they can hide it and now get grief.

Hahaha Frank dropping the space allards.

DeadNames

Banned
If the majority of players feel shields recharge too slow or take too long to start recharging, especially post title update, here's what you do, you make shields recharge faster or reduce the time it takes to recharge and put it in the next title update or patch it in. You don't make a perk out of it so that it's a solution for only a few players.

Maybe some people can mod and apply it universally, but if it's a perk, it'll also take a slot that is needed for something else.

Who even wanted these perks? I don't understand how anyone at 343 can sit there, 7 months post launch, see the position on the XBL charts, see the intense drop off in the Halo fanbase and then decide maybe if we add new perks, one that will allow those who just abuse tank or gauss cannon the ability to survive.

I'm going to seriously debate whether to even get this new map pack now. Do I really care about pitfall, MK V or ODST armor enough? Probably not, not anymore.

I'm with you dude. I don't know if I can support a company that dense as to not listen to the very few people that play their game. The pit and some armor that should have been in the game from the start aren't enough to cover up the glaring issues Halo 4 has. And to be frank, I don't know what Halo could become without going back to what made Halo 1-3 good.

343 got the easy route with Halo 4. The Master chief; a direct sequel to Halo 3. Not some obscure spin-off. People had assumed AAs and stuff would stay with Reach, right? I mean canonically it made sense. But no. Now people are aware of what 343 does, and I highly doubt they could make much money without backpedaling now that people have seen their capabilities.

I want to hang this on my wall. Seriously though - I don't actually believe the people at 343 even play halo any more if their idea of cool is adding more perks.

TCKaos

Well now not getting it is going to put you at what appears to be a permanent disadvantage due to the inability to obtain the new armor mod. It's not like not buying the bundle would stop you from running in to people using it.

Omni

Eh. I think it's obvious by now that we're never going to get classic Halo back. 343i has shown us the direction that they want to take the franchise - gotta cash in on that CoD cow - and it's wishful thinking that we're ever going to get more than a single playlist hidden under the slops that is Infinity Slayer that's even remotely faithful. For a moment there with all the updates that they've been pushing, I was under the impression that they finally realised that maybe the direction they were heading in wasn't something that the majority of people like (see one of many population graphs). But the addition of more game changing perks and in-game content behind a paywall (whether trivial or not) just proves that they have no freaking idea what made Halo great in the first place.

The best thing we can do is speak with our wallets. I know for a fact that unless they drastically change what they're doing (they won't), 343i won't be getting another cent from me on a mainline game (y'all can hold me to that). And that's sad to say, because I've been with the series since the beginning and would like nothing more than to have a Halo game that was exactly that - a Halo game. Halo 4 was nothing more than a mediocre developer riding in on the success of a more talented studio (Bungie). I do believe that 343i will be in for a shock when sales for Halo 5 are lower than expected because of the crap they're trying to push.

/rant.

I think what annoys me the most is how oblivious to it 343 are. Even frankie constantly uses the excuse that people have complained between every halo game.

I think there's a big difference between halo2sucks.com and the state halo 4 is in where no one who is still around cares enough to even make halo4sucks.com

Sadly I think they are going to give eachother hi fives behind the scenes over a map pack well done and continue to follow these trends

IHaveIce

Banned
While I agree mostly rosso the sales of Halo5 will be huge again for sure, but the population decline will also be fast if it keeps the same.

Perks behind dlc is just stupid

tombstone_zps11b05d4d.jpg

Yeah, I'm really not feeling the new perks. I feel defeated on Halo 4 at this point, and I've played a lot, so hopefully Legendary slayer is compelling, and if so, hopefully those changes get implemented in more than just a slayer gametype. But there's only so much hoping even a diehard Halo fan like myself can take. Hurry up and make Halo 3 free so I can go play the Campaign again... :(

Fyrewulf, agree with your post 100%

Ken

Yeah, I'm really not feeling the new perks. I feel defeated on Halo 4 at this point, and I've played a lot, so hopefully Legendary slayer is compelling, and if so, hopefully those changes get implemented in more than just a slayer gametype. But there's only so much hoping even a diehard Halo fan like myself can take. Hurry up and make Halo 3 free so I can go play the Campaign again... :(

Fyrewulf, agree with your post 100%

those steampunk skins not good enough??

those steampunk skins not good enough??

Not always black and white, really. The Pit is good, we'll see on Vertigo. The armours, etc are neat. The changes made so far to the base game are mostly good (Quinn and Bravo are the most legit public people I've seen at 343), and I think the Champions* pack represents pretty good value if you like those things. I've always been a big supporter of monetizing a game via cosmetic stuffs like hats and skins and armours, but when an already shitty mechanic like a perk becomes paywalled, I just have to shake my head harder than I shook it when I heard perks were going to be a thing in Halo 4 at all. Not even mentioning the stupid sounding additional perks in the next TU. The loadout system makes the game less fun across the board. It's the biggest lie in the game, really. Yet, the base gameplay/shooting has never felt this good since even before Halo 3, especially after TURBO. But as usual, the layers added over top just frustrate me to no end. I rarely play with a large enough group of people any more (the less patient all left) that meaningful communication happens, so I also like to have a radar meaning Slayer Pro and Throwdown don't do really do it for me, even if I'm lucky enough to have it voted in. Now, give me throwdown/pro settings with a radar in every playlist and gametype (including BTB/obj games) and I'm happy. Infinity can still go fuck itself, to be blunt. So yeah, I'm all for steampunk weapon skins, but I can't pretend I'm happy with where Halo is going from a gameplay/metasystems perspective because I'm not.

willow ve

Not always black and white, really. The Pit is good, we'll see on Vertigo. The armours, etc are neat. The changes made so far to the base game are mostly good (Quinn and Bravo are the most legit public people I've seen at 343), and I think the Champions* pack represents pretty good value if you like those things. I've always been a big supporter of monetizing a game via cosmetic stuffs like hats and skins and armours, but when an already shitty mechanic like a perk becomes paywalled, I just have to shake my head harder than I shook it when I heard perks were going to be a thing in Halo 4 at all. Not even mentioning the stupid sounding additional perks in the next TU. The loadout system makes the game less fun across the board. It's the biggest lie in the game, really. Yet, the base gameplay/shooting has never felt this good since even before Halo 3, especially after TURBO. But as usual, the layers added over top just frustrate me to no end. I rarely play with a large enough group of people any more (the less patient all left) that meaningful communication happens, so I also like to have a radar meaning Slayer Pro and Throwdown don't do really do it for me, even if I'm lucky enough to have it voted in. Now, give me throwdown/pro settings with a radar in every playlist and gametype (including BTB/obj games) and I'm happy. Infinity can still go fuck itself, to be blunt. So yeah, I'm all for steampunk weapon skins, but I can't pretend I'm happy with where Halo is going from a gameplay/metasystems perspective because I'm not.

I don't think anyone is happy with the direction Halo has taken. Even the general gaming population numbers support what some claimed was "just the vocal minority." Turns out the vocal minority actually spoke the sentiments of the larger group and they all left the series.

Halo 5 with AA and Perks will be the first Halo I don't own.

The bailout perk will make people bailout of Halo.
Already done. Nice to see Halo continuing the tradition of adding things to the game that no one asked for. But hey, I'm sure The Pit will be awesome for those 200 players in Throwdown who can kinda-sorta play it like it did in that other, far better Halo. With a football helmet.

Dude, Bregmann, get this.
$12 is not a bad price after I missed it in the xbox sale. May go pick this up today.

Thread is hilarious. No one is forcing you all to play more 4. Wait until 5, see if it's better and go from there.
It's more about the lack of enticement to come back to the game. New perks, a map with an insta-SWAT switch, and paying for armor that's been in almost every other Halo game is like a graze to the nuts.

The problem I see with bail out if it does kick you out of a blowing up vehicle is that it's going to break some balances with how vehicles work. Right now if you get into one you know that bailing out requires time or if someone from the other team hijacks or jumps on the back of your vehicle you did something wrong, if that new perk really is a fail safe for drivers it's going to be really annoying killing ghost drivers and banshee bombers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You really don't get it do you?

I don't get you, no. Explain?

What I do get are the people that somewhat still enjoy playing Halo 4 discussing the pros and cons of a new map pack and items with the upcoming console transition.

What I don't get is people that wrote off Halo 4 6 months ago still telling us why they don't like Halo 4. That's who my statement was to. We get it, move on. I wouldn't think 2 new maps and some armor were going to bring those people back anyways. See if Halo 5 is more your cup of tea.

Here's the poster they were handing out, thanks to Waypoint monitor WulfWoodsSins.

Cool poster.

I feel this would be a really special and cool DLC pack if it came out in 2012, before all of our opinions on Halo 4 soured so much. The entire concept of this DLC set is pretty neat, but I can't help but feel its too little too late. I'll still be picking it up, but its not the breathe of life this game needs.

Gets it better than you, I think.

I get it. People care about Halo. They complain about it here. No one thinks they are being forced to play Halo 4.

I don't get you, no. Explain?

What I do get are the people that somewhat still enjoy playing Halo 4 discussing the pros and cons of a new map pack and items with the upcoming console transition.

What I don't get is people that wrote off Halo 4 6 months ago still telling us why they don't like Halo 4. That's who my statement was to. We get it, move on. I wouldn't think 2 new maps and some armor were going to bring those people back anyways. See if Halo 5 is more your cup of tea.

I get where you are coming from.

No I don't think so.

^

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
$12 is not a bad price after I missed it in the xbox sale. May go pick this up today.
You should! It's really good. Don't go into it expecting Halo-quality combat, though. There's some strategy to it, but it's mostly "shoot at dudes till they drop". The combat is still fun, just in a hectic, sloppy way. The real fun of the game is in co-op, so make that happen if possible. I'd be down to play with you.

Top Bottom