• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

He was there way before those postings went up.

This hurts chances
"-At least one AAA title shipped that features your work on competitive multiplayer"

Something I can apply for is rare over there.

Oh I mean I didnt expect it or anything I just threw my name in, I've been told to do that. The technical qualifications really hold me back I really should learn to code or something. Plus I dont have a CS degree. I have a BUAD - advertising degree.

However how does one release a AAA title before working at a AAA game company? I guess I could work my way up to have my MP ideas be embedded into a succesful AAA project from a company that doesnt have that requirement then get hired at 343i. So Halo will be saved in say about 5 years or so!

I think however my great ideas have already been shaping Halo for years now so really I qualify, plus I can perform on a normal amount of oxygen at 24000 feet, so theres that!

First game Team Slayer on Narrows

Apart from the wonky netcode, aiming and feeling like Im underwater...

Man. Having BR ammo even though its AR starts, picking up grenades, no sprint, no perks, no AA's, de-scoping...

And then Live kicks me off half way through.

Halo 3 was a damn fine game in its day.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Campaign = HELL YES

90% of MM = NO. Just make one playlist and 1-2 vote variants have that sort of stuff and only in BTB.

If multiplayer/campaign become a blurred line like Titanfall then I could go for this for a small percentage of games.

That shouldn't be in Halo. Not even in only a few playlists.

It'll just snowball from there. Perhaps in customs, but not in any playlist.

We dont know that, they've seen the numbers that nobody wants to play Halo 4.

Logically well get a different product. The 60FPS and Dedis are the ONLY thing announced so far and those are good things.

They might just be going along with Halo 4 as its own project with the additional perks and everything and then when Halo 5 is coming completely switch directions and make it its own product nothing like 4.

There is a good chance we'll get something good again. Not perfect - because I'm not there, but good. A good Halo will be quite refreshing.

How do you go from bashing halo one second to guzzling its mighty loins the next?

Madness

Firefight 3.0 which is a mix of ODST style, coupled with Dominion and tower defense style play. You have to actively monitor routes, shield doors, turrets and towers. Could call in a group of ODST's that drop in and arent too powerful but can help when like 4-5 zealots drop etc.

Instead firefight in Reach just became you holed up against a wall or some obscure location potshotting from a distance. Imagine if an AA gun fails on the other side of the map and you need to get there otherwise Pelicans will overrun the map etc. Creates some tension as to how you'll hoof if there on foot.

Fuchsdh

Firefight 3.0 which is a mix of ODST style, coupled with Dominion and tower defense style play. You have to actively monitor routes, shield doors, turrets and towers. Could call in a group of ODST's that drop in and arent too powerful but can help when like 4-5 zealots drop etc.

Instead firefight in Reach just became you holed up against a wall or some obscure location potshotting from a distance. Imagine if an AA gun fails on the other side of the map and you need to get there otherwise Pelicans will overrun the map etc. Creates some tension as to how you'll hoof if there on foot.

Camo + Sniper Arcadefight. Easy-peasy.

The ODSTs on Installation 04 were a really small but welcome glimpse into what you could do (too bad the map was a bad fit for them--they got stuck on the lower levels and killed off too easily--they need locations to hold, really.)

Use an ordnance meter and call in weapons, AAs, target strikes, or drop pods like a FPS version of the Spirit of Fire menu in Halo Wars.

I'm sort of against the idea of making them too elaborate like you suggest just because that might force play on certain maps to only a few options, but just taking the suite of customization Halo 4 offers and applying it to Firefight would be an excellent iterative improvement. Have some maps be more complex-defense driven (like Preserve or ONI Alpha Site, where you have to fall back or just have a large zone to cover), and some more lane-based (like the Alpha Site interior or more classic Firefight scenarios.) Add in customizable Forged objects like turrets and drop zones.

Karl2177

This hurts chances
"-At least one AAA title shipped that features your work on competitive multiplayer"

Something I can apply for is rare over there.

This is always something that perplexes me about most game studios. You'll see it listed for entry positions at places like Microsoft or any EA studio. But for some of the other places like Bungie or Valve, it will only appear in the required section for senior level positions otherwise it's in the "recommended areas of expertise".

That shouldn't be in Halo. Not even in only a few playlists.

It'll just snowball from there. Perhaps in customs, but not in any playlist.

So dedicated servers and cloud processing for Xbox One doesn't lead you to think there will be a playlist/features for games larger than 8v8?

That is where I could see things heading for BTB and Scarabs etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Firefight could have been really cool with CoD-like killstreaks. Mix in some new dominion stuff (building turrets, doors, etc), perks, and personal ordance and you have Firefight 3.0. Don't want to use that stuff? Turn it off for classic firefight. Instead we got Spartan Ops.

sigh
I've been saying that since right after Spartan Ops was announced. Such a downgrade.

WHY GOD WHY ARE THERE SUCH A AWFUL MANIAC COD PLAYERS!!!!

If i didn't break my console now, I never will.

Adrift.

Party of 4, of course, my team, all around the world with different lag. ALL 4 OF THEM ARE HOLDIGN ONE SNIPER POSITION! TWO SNIPERS ONE NEXT TO THE OTHER CROUCHING WHOLE FUCKING ROUND!!!!!!!!!

I mean WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 rounds in a row, 10 different parties, EVERYBODY are playing like this! WHY?!

What have they done with this awful maps! Only maps you can play are those from community (Schyte, Opus etc etc...). Maps are like they are made for COD not for Halo! Who the fuck is in charge of Halo MP part of developement! Every day lesser and lesser players, barely 10k in all playlists combined!

Now Haven, all camping in place where snipers' spawning... i had 30 kills, second 10kills.. All round camping and waiting for ordinance drops!

As time passes by, game is more awful to play... I just cant belive it.

Im not hip so I don't use Twitter. Or Smartphones. Or play Halo 4.

WHY GOD WHY ARE THERE SUCH A AWFUL MANIAC COD PLAYERS!!!!

If i didn't break my console now, I never will.

Adrift.

Party of 4, of course, my team, all around the world with different lag. ALL 4 OF THEM ARE HOLDIGN ONE SNIPER POSITION! TWO SNIPERS ONE NEXT TO THE OTHER CROUCHING WHOLE FUCKING ROUND!!!!!!!!!

I mean WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 rounds in a row, 10 different parties, EVERYBODY are playing like this! WHY?!

What have they done with this awful maps! Only maps you can play are those from community (Schyte, Opus etc etc...). Maps are like they are made for COD not for Halo! Who the fuck is in charge of Halo MP part of developement! Every day lesser and lesser players, barely 10k in all playlists combined!

Now Haven, all camping in place where snipers' spawning... i had 30 kills, second 10kills.. All round camping and waiting for ordinance drops!

As time passes by, game is more awful to play... I just cant belive it.

Tell em why you mad son

^its not only me.. Halo 4 MP stats speaks for itself. And don't call me son.

Why continue playing?

I think that we're long past the point of playing a game you don't like in hope that it will get better with updates.
does that make sense? I dunno. Game isn't going to get better, so why bother?

I really have no idea. Probably because there's nothing similar to play on X360...

And its not like i don't like it. I like the game very much. I'm into MP of Halo (and generally halo games, have all Limited Ed) since Halo CE, but this is just tipping point, this is totally different than anything. It's frustrating, players make it this way because developers let them to do that. Literally like with CoD. Game is rewarding camping and that's it. You can camp, get ordinance drops, and you really don't need to move.

I watched a lot of tournaments, and of course, gameplay is not even close to this. I would really love if people could play like that, free and in a spirit of objective of the mode. They're not holding objective, guarding flag or something. It's team deathmatch and people are camping, other team rushing into them, get slaughtered by bombs etc etc and over and over again...

In ~ 10 rounds, i have like 3 max 4 good/mediocre games. It's not about the score, I'm almost always first in my team, no matter if i lose or win, with good k/d ratio, its about enjoyment that Halo was since begining. Fun and good MP, fast paced and interesting.

Not this :(

Only way to have normal rounds is to play with someone you know, I really don't see other solution.

Their weapon tuning is hit and miss (more miss) and they are just ruining the game, slowly but surely... I really don't know why. Reach was awesome comparing to this one. There were campers, but not like this. Since last weapon tuning and map tuning, its awful.

I would really love if Halo is just Halo, with great maps and good gameplay and good community. Newcomers destroyed everything. 343 helped them.

I really have no idea. Probably because there's nothing similar to play on X360...

And its not like i don't like it. I like the game very much. I'm into MP of Halo (and generally halo games, have all Limited Ed) since Halo CE, but this is just tipping point, this is totally different than anything. It's frustrating, players make it this way because developers let them to do that. Literally like with CoD. Game is rewarding camping and that's it. You can camp, get ordinance drops, and you really don't need to move.

I watched a lot of tournaments, and of course, gameplay is not even close to this. I would really love if people could play like that, free and in a spirit of objective of the mode. They're not holding objective, guarding flag or something. It's team deathmatch and people are camping, other team rushing into them, get slaughtered by bombs etc etc and over and over again...

In ~ 10 rounds, i have like 3 max 4 good/mediocre games. It's not about the score, I'm almost always first in my team, no matter if i lose or win, with good k/d ratio, its about enjoyment that Halo was since begining. Fun and good MP, fast paced and interesting.

Only way to have normal rounds is to play with someone you know, I really don't see other solution.

Their weapon tuning is hit and miss (more miss) and they are just ruining the game, slowly but surely... I really don't know why. Reach was awesome comparing to this one. There were campers, but not like this. Since last weapon tuning and map tuning, its awful.

I would really love if Halo is just Halo, with great maps and good gameplay and good community. Newcomers destroyed everything. 343 helped them.

GOOD MORNING SON

Ghazi

First time I went into multiplayer, just had a huge wtf that there was no DBNO, all humans, no executions... ugh.

I wasn't a huge fan of GOW multiplayer before, but I did appreciate all of those things it did.

Yeah, I feel like it's Gears 3 was the peak of the series in terms of both Campaign and MP. Gears 2 would've been alright if it hadn't been laggy as fuck. Overall I enjoy(ed) Gears 3 a ton, if you ever want to play it hit me up because I love that game to death and play it every so often (I do have the Season Pass, also)

When I played Judgment at a friends house I was like hell no, humans vs humans, Promethean Vision Grenades, the removal of fucking DBNO (a staple of the series).

I really hope that it isn't really the start of a new trilogy as rumored.

Yeah, I feel like it's Gears 3 was the peak of the series in terms of both Campaign and MP. Gears 2 would've been alright if it hadn't been laggy as fuck. Overall I enjoy(ed) Gears 3 a ton, if you ever want to play it hit me up because I love that game to death and play it every so often (I do have the Season Pass, also)

When I played Judgment at a friends house I was like hell no, humans vs humans, Promethean Vision Grenades, the removal of fucking DBNO (a staple of the series).

I really hope that it isn't really the start of a new trilogy as rumored.

You can Blame Quinn Del Hoyo for most of the multiplayer decisions on Judgement. and now he is working on Halo... Great

Ghazi

You can Blame Quinn Del Hoyo for most of the multiplayer decisions on Judgement. and now he is working on Halo... Great
Really? I thought he worked on 2 (maybe) & 3? Was he a part of People Can Fly or did PCF get help from Epic and he was involved there?

Damn, this is worrying since I felt like someone who was involved with 3 would be alright.

Booshka

Play Shadowrun, if you try to camp in that game you will get destroyed every round guaranteed.

Madness

He did a few interviews where he justified a lot of the changes to the Judgment... He was just a map designer on Gears 3, but was lead multiplayer designer on Judgment. Should tell you all you need to know.

Madness

Our goals were to simplify things and make them fast paced. When you look at the trilogy and take what was there, it was a little too clunky. We simplified that down.

With the new control scheme Y is a quick weapons switch. Left bumper is the off hand grenades.  We made it very simple and that’s not to say it’s shallow. It’s very easy to understand, and to me that’s very important for anything. If I want my grandma to watch a football game with me, or my wife to watch basketball, it needs to be somewhat simple.

We’ve made a whole balance pass within the weapons to make sure that if you want to play as a sniper there’s a new weapon that’s not as clunky and doesn’t have the reload penalty that perhaps that long shot has. We’ve balanced weapons and we’re trying to give everybody who wants to play a different role an equal opportunity to succeed.

Don’t think we’ve ever had a conversation like this product is doing A, and so we’re going to mimic that. That has never factored into our design direction. But we do very much get flavored by what we’re playing and flavored by what the community is playing and what the community wants to see. Then it’s about what’s true to the franchise and how do we want to evolve the franchise forward.

Interview with Quinn regarding changes to Judgment and why it was different from the original Gears trilogy. So just remember, he was only really a map designer in Gears 3, but lead designer for MP in judgment supposedly.

Interview with Quinn regarding changes to Judgment and why it was different from the original Gears trilogy. So just remember, he was only really a map designer in Gears 3, but lead designer for MP in judgment supposedly.

Its change for the sake of Change, same thing he's going to do at 343, and what 343 has already done with Halo 4

TheOddOne

head-shake-o.gif

RIP this thread.

willow ve

Well that whole quote from Quinn is depressing.

Top Bottom