• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Now an official thing, classic.

why do that when all the evidence is there that Halo is dead or dying slowly and slowly everyday? Soon you wont have anyone to write paragraphs responses to if 343 keeps this up. Cyclone may be your only mate left to play devil's advocate with.

I don't disagree Reach/4 have become less popular than Halo 2/3. It doesn't mean the whole game or developer experience should just be written off though. I'd love a Global Ordnance based playlist with vote variants of NO sprint+ NO AA + smaller maps vs. with sprint+AA+mods+bigger maps. I just want PO to go away, drop recon and others like stability to be on by default etc. Flinch should never have happened, descoping was perfect and so very Halo too. My point is there is plenty to take away from Halo 4 now and why not mix things up with the playlists/settings/tournaments now in readiness for the ultimate Halo next gen. Seems logical to me and if they get the mix right next gen new playlists and mechanics can be introduced but don't overwrite the whole game as one vision, it just doesn't work and Halo 4 was proof of that.

My ears, my eyes and yes you made a difference. I listen to criticism and adapt [spolier]somewhat[/spoiler].

I don't disagree Reach/4 have become less popular than Halo 2/3. It doesn't mean the whole game or developer experience should just be written off though. I'd love a Global Ordnance based playlist with vote variants of NO sprint+ NO AA + smaller maps vs. with sprint+AA+mods+bigger maps. I just want PO to go away, drop recon and others like stability to be on by default etc. Flinch should never have happened, descoping was perfect and so very Halo too. My point is there is plenty to take away from Halo 4 now and why not mix things up with the playlists/settings/tournaments now in readiness for the ultimate Halo next gen. Seems logical to me and if they get the mix right next gen new playlists and mechanics can be introduced but don't overwrite the whole game as one vision, it just doesn't work and Halo 4 was proof of that.

This is already something that Halo 4 already fails at miserably. It tries incredibly hard to appeal to every person that's ever played a video game instead of being a singular vision of a game. So many demographic check boxes to maximize potential sales instead of designing a game that's just fun.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Madness

They could have utilized a lot of what they developed as ways to supplement the core Halo game. Imagine an aliens style gametype where that beeping mod was on and you have slow movement whole flood are super fast and have camo etc.

They developed all these redundant weapons, instead of having them all in play, why not things like Elite Slayer or Forerunner Slayer where instead of UNSC weapons, you start with a carbine and plasma nades or light rifle and pulse grenades and all the weapons on the map are the faction ones only.

Look how much fun action sack was for a while. Imagine if the game wasn't built around what 343 wanted to be, but that it was supplemented with these other gametypes. I'm sure all of us wouldn't have minded playing a few rounds of infinity Slayer in social skirmish after a few matches of ranked team Slayer etc.

But no, classic decade long Halo became the niche and this random clusterfest of loadouts, perks, power weapons, ordnance, sprint, armor abilities became the mainstream Halo.

Well just finished watching AGL 8 that was nuts.

Also was Goofy wearing leather pants lol? Dear lord.

Dropping out and going pro tomorrow. Who wants to frikken game!?

This is already something that Halo 4 already fails at miserably. It tries incredibly hard to appeal to every person that's ever played a video game instead of being a singular vision of a game. So many demographic check boxes to maximize potential sales instead of designing a game that's just fun.

I think originally they did learn from Reach splintering and try to push a more singular experience with Halo 4 launch. Initially I think they tipped the scale too far though and now we're sort of dealing with a TU once again with Turbo. I think better change implementation this time around though.

My concern is a pure classic Halo would dwindle rather than reinvigorate the population. Classic playlists categorically have to be in the game at launch with rank, no excuses next gen.

They could have utilized a lot of what they developed as ways to supplement the core Halo game. Imagine an aliens style gametype where that beeping mod was on and you have slow movement whole flood are super fast and have camo etc.

They developed all these redundant weapons, instead of having them all in play, why not things like Elite Slayer or Forerunner Slayer where instead of UNSC weapons, you start with a carbine and plasma nades or light rifle and pulse grenades and all the weapons on the map are the faction ones only.

Look how much fun action sack was for a while. Imagine if the game wasn't built around what 343 wanted to be, but that it was supplemented with these other gametypes. I'm sure all of us wouldn't have minded playing a few rounds of infinity Slayer in social skirmish after a few matches of ranked team Slayer etc.

But no, classic decade long Halo became the niche and this random clusterfest of loadouts, perks, power weapons, ordnance, sprint, armor abilities became the mainstream Halo.

Those ideas would go really well as 3 vote variants on the same maps. Sounds cool to me and the commendation hunters would sure love it. SWAT at least did Covie SWAT.

RdN

You know, I was re watching Halo 4's ending and in the scene where Lackey talks to the Chief looking at Earth, I noticed that there are no Orbital Defense Platforms and it's MAC Cannons around the planet.

I assume they were all destroyed during the Covenant invasion, but didn't they bother rebuilding such important defense mechanism? Or was it just an overlook?

EDIT: Ah, I see they are referenced in the in game chatter, as being inefficient against Didact's ship. Cool. Still, I wish we could have seem them.

IHaveIce

Banned

I would love to "go pro" and play on lan events and customs all the time.

Would probably improve my playstyle a lot... BUT there are no tourneys here in Germany :/

daedalius

Needs more assless chaps imo

But the truth is, Halo is a lot of different things for a lot of different people.

They feel it is their job, and it really is, to appeal to all of them.

But the truth is, Halo is a lot of different things for a lot of different people.

Well said but they did miss the boat somewhat with classic and customs at launch. I don't expect those issues to be present next gen development and a studio hitting its stride either.

IHaveIce

Banned

Well appeal to these sub communities with custom options make the main gane just the core of it so everyone knows you are playing Halo.

Where is Conor he has to throw his custom game browser in there

Well appeal to these sub communities with custom options make the main gane just the core of it so everyone knows you are playing Halo.

Where is Conor he has to throw his custom game browser in there

Too busy killing babies with soup and dodging cops while trouncing every Halo 3 ODST disc in a 25 mile radius, chum

Continuing to really enjoy my time in Legendary Slayer. Shame it has such a pitiful population. It is easily the best radar-on playlist, even with AR starts w/o pistol.

I think I would be 100% satisfied with it if they added in Pistol secondaries.

There is a difference between providing options to players with lots of custom options, gametype options, maps options, etc so that players can do their own thing and designing a game that at its core is an over-complicated/fragmented mess in a effort to appeal to everyone.

343 can keep doing to the later, but they won't create a great game if they do.

Continuing to really enjoy my time in Legendary Slayer. Shame it has such a pitiful population. It is easily the best radar-on playlist, even with AR starts w/o pistol.

I think I would be 100% satisfied with it if they added in Pistol secondaries.

If you get paired up with a group who plan ahead you will lose, they can horde all the long range weapons and leave you in the water with just the AR, it's rather annoying and it's the main reason why you need a pistol secondary so you can attack back at range.

The lock out remake in forge is the only map where the AR feels fair, every other default halo 4 map requires range.

Risen

There is a difference between providing options to players with lots of custom options, gametype options, maps options, etc so that players can do their own thing and designing a game that at it's core is an over-complicated/fragmented mess in a effort to appeal to everyone.

Exactly... continuing along that line helps ensure they create "just another game people play" rather than a unique experience that stands apart from the crowd.

I want to play a Halo game that makes me want to play it to the exclusion of all other games, and that will not be found by creating an "everyman's" game. I can already get that elsewhere in any number of releases.

Jack of none, too.

I give Halo 4 a 7.9.

How's your mic problem... are you still silenced by The Man?

I want to play a Halo game that makes me want to play it to the exclusion of all other games, and that will not be found by creating an "everyman's" game. I can already get that elsewhere in any number of releases.
mega_bro_fist__by_xxwupord.gif

daedalius

There is a difference between providing options to players with lots of custom options, gametype options, maps options, etc so that players can do their own thing and designing a game that at it's core is an over-complicated/fragmented mess in a effort to appeal to everyone.

I'm not saying that isn't true, but they feel like they have to provide for all the people that play... even to the detriment of the game, perhaps.

Currently I think it is quite fragmented, the amount of playlists we have is staggering.

Tawpgun

Remember when they had a strict playlist limit so they would throw out good playlists to make room for others?

Lol at that.

]I'm not saying that isn't true, but they feel like they have to provide for all the people that play... even to the detriment of the game, perhaps[/B].

Currently I think it is quite fragmented, the amount of playlists we have is staggering.

And it will be the policy that ensures Halo 5 will be mediocre and another wasted opportunity. It is Frankie's modus operandi to cater to ever expanding Halo multiplayer idiosyncrasies while the playerbase gets spread increasingly thin. Halo 4 MM caters to a bloated glut of differing Halo variants; Grifball, Flood, Snipers, SWAT, Infinity Slayer, non-Infinity Slayer, radar, no radar, Rumble Pit, Regicide, the AA crowd from Reach, the perk crowd from COD... despite this, Halo 4 is objectively the least successful in terms of online population and player retention. Frankie has iterated several times on here and elsewhere that more player options is what he wishes for the Halo series going forward. He is very consistent with this sentiment. I just hope he means options in custom games with the core MM experience a taut, lean solid vision that focuses on what made Halo a franchise worthy of setting up a 300-person studio for in the first place. Sure, throw in active camo AA for customs but you put that shit in MM from day one? You don't know what made Halo special and its golden tripod is just a zimmerframe upon which to rest a wobbling jenga tower of gimmicks which increasingly don't fit together.

Madness

Yep, can someone finally hire him and Juices?

Problem is, if they get hired, they'll have to tow the company line or they're gone. I posted an interview with Bravo like 8 months before Halo 4 launched. Nothing he wished for came true, except he was hired to be multiplayer and playlist sustain. He can say all he wants in bulletins but inside he knows all of these decisions are wrong.

Risen

Did you like riding in my backpack yesterday?

lol you carried the first two... then I carried three, the last of which kids quit out... then we lost the last with me getting shit on.

Your backpack needs to be bigger.

Edit: wanna hop on now? Off early today... if anyone wants to run a few games... Risen GBG.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
why do that when all the evidence is there that Halo is dead or dying slowly and slowly everyday? Soon you wont have anyone to write paragraphs responses to if 343 keeps this up. Cyclone may be your only mate left to play devil's advocate with.

Halo is dying slowly. Plz save Halo. Halo needs help.

If you get paired up with a group who plan ahead you will lose, they can horde all the long range weapons and leave you in the water with just the AR, it's rather annoying and it's the main reason why you need a pistol secondary so you can attack back at range.

The lock out remake in forge is the only map where the AR feels fair, every other default halo 4 map requires range.

Oh I'm aware how much donging can occur against a decent team. I'm really surprised at the lack of pistol secondaries since that style load out never really occurred previously.

but you have to admit, this is the direction that 343infinty ward is going with Halo

We dont know that, they've seen the numbers that nobody wants to play Halo 4.

Logically well get a different product. The 60FPS and Dedis are the ONLY thing announced so far and those are good things.

They might just be going along with Halo 4 as its own project with the additional perks and everything and then when Halo 5 is coming completely switch directions and make it its own product nothing like 4.

There is a good chance we'll get something good again. Not perfect - because I'm not there, but good. A good Halo will be quite refreshing.

Firefight could have been really cool with CoD-like killstreaks. Mix in some new dominion stuff (building turrets, doors, etc), perks, and personal ordance and you have Firefight 3.0. Don't want to use that stuff? Turn it off for classic firefight. Instead we got Spartan Ops.

sigh

Bros. Think about it. We could even have like attatchments for our guns though?

And pick and choose our killstreaks.

25 kills means the Didact shows up and you get put into a Quick Time Event that you cant win, Didact makes you eat doritos until you feel kinda sick.

Hire Mack

Bros.

as long as i get a Mt. Dew Grenade launcher and a Mt. Dew skin for all my weapons and Dorito throwing knives

Firefight could have been really cool with CoD-like killstreaks. Mix in some new dominion stuff (building turrets, doors, etc), perks, and personal ordance and you have Firefight 3.0. Don't want to use that stuff? Turn it off for classic firefight. Instead we got Spartan Ops.

sigh

\if those elements stayed in Firefight (with the exception of Dominion (which rocks)) and not in Multiplayer at all.

We dont know that, they've seen the numbers that nobody wants to play Halo 4.

Logically well get a different product. The 60FPS and Dedis are the ONLY thing announced so far and those are good things.

They might just be going along with Halo 4 as its own project with the additional perks and everything and then when Halo 5 is coming completely switch directions and make it its own product nothing like 4.

There is a good chance we'll get something good again. Not perfect - because I'm not there, but good. A good Halo will be quite refreshing.

You could be, you should be. I'm sure they are willing to forget some of those qualifications for a man with ideas such as yourself. They need you after all, Halo needs you.

#HaloNeedsJuices

well Im bored, anyone wanna Play Halo gungame or Sharp Shooter? or any type of custom games?

Oh gawd. I was joking about killstreaks and people are saying yeah they should be in Campaign and Firefight.

Well they could work in FF seeing as how its not multiplayer. and fuck 343 if they add more useless shit to campaign, i mean shit we already have a Soap v Shepherd moment at the end of Halo 4.

daedalius

sigh

Omg this would be so incredibly cool.

I do find myself really missing firefight sometimes, horde in Gears 3 is pretty fun, but then they went and f'd it all up in GoWJ.

Top Bottom