• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

I think the person running the holodeck program for War Games has some bizarre rock fetish and a bad memory of what Valhalla looked like.

Spoiler: they put Hamish Beamish in charge of running the simulation. You can only stay so sane after living off of nail clippings and burnt hair for four years.

Everything is too sharp.

h4%20champions%20bundle_on%20the%20move_660.jpg

Sector 8 called, they want their design back.

Lockdown in the Dominion playlist has been updated with several changes. To allow for an optimized attack / defend dynamic, motion tracker has been disabled, and auto-turrets and shield doors have been removed. These updates will make it more difficult to defend a base, and result in more back-and-forth style gameplay. .

a9dPzGD_460sa.gif

So are they planning on raising the level cap any time soon?

Seems really dumb to cap it so low and then never raise it.

SO many ways to earn credits/xp which mean nothing in this game, so many high kill rewards like 10k kills with the DMR that no one will ever reach and get under level 130 to make it matter.

Huge flaw, well the entire game is a huge flaw but you know, flaw in a flaw.

I think it is best to keep cannon out of MP. I mean 343 thought it was a good idea to bring cannon to MP and look at what we have. The whole you are in a training hologram idea is so stupid and I doubt half of the players even know the back story. All they show is a picture of the infinity and where things are located. Also the video they play with Sara Palmer when you first load up MP makes me want to puke due to the cheese. Cannon just limits MP.

Don't want to sound like a dick but it's "canon", not "cannon". I had to reread a couple of times to realize what you were talking about.

I am a crazy person, but Lockdown, when played at higher than 12 frames-per-second, could be fun. At the very least it offers numerous opportunities to grenade YourExWife.

IHaveIce

Banned
http://i.minus.com/iNFpObj4GUWmb.gif[img]

WHAT IS LOCKOUT DOING IN DOMINION, 343? IN WHAT WORLD DOES 6v6 WORK ON LOCKOUT?

HOW LONG HAS THAT EVEN BEEN THERE?

WHO THE FUCK IS DRIVING THIS THING?[/QUOTE]
LOlol it is 6v6 ? Fuck that has to be a clusterfuck

http://i.minus.com/iNFpObj4GUWmb.gif[img]

WHAT IS LOCKOUT DOING IN DOMINION, 343? IN WHAT WORLD DOES 6v6 WORK ON LOCKOUT?

HOW LONG HAS THAT EVEN BEEN THERE?

WHO THE FUCK IS DRIVING THIS THING?[/QUOTE]

"[B]Lockdown[/B] in the Dominion"

Lockdown is a gametype variation of Dominion :P

[url]http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/06/27/The-Halo-Bulletin-62713.aspx[/url]

True, its very weird I was thinking this and seeing if maps fit it, those maps should have thought of this though no matter how irrelevant it is. Wasnt lockout a secret research facility so it makes sense you could only get to it by a flying vehicile of sorts and it makes sense why its up in the sky. ? I dunno lol I dont pay attention to this stuff the artists and writers should be.
All of the Halo maps in multiplayer function as in-universe settings and locations, even before Halo 4. Lockout was the site of a Flood containment/research facility used primarily by the Monitor, hence the teleportation grid would be favored over physical travel routes. Blackout on the other hand, is much harder to justify as a real location because Forerunner geometry makes little sense in the context of human design. It's supposed to be a weather monitoring station, but it clearly doesn't look designed for practical human use. It's easier to explain Forerunner design elements meshing with multiplayer design elements because they didn't operate like humans do. Lots of hovering and teleporting and all that crap. Generally, the human maps are a little more practical and believable with exits and entrances in reasonable places, even if the geometry is made for seven foot tall super-soldiers who can jump fifteen feet in the air, but it's not an exact rule.

I've actually spent a lot of time pondering the artistic/logical elements of Halo maps. Halo: CE is certainly the weirdest in a lot of ways, with spaces that lack context or even cohesion (Boarding Action makes zero sense) and then they get better at that with each game. Reach is easily the most grounded in its maps since all the launch maps barring Forge World were implemented into the campaign, but even they seem slightly out of place and had adjustments where needed (see: no air lifts in campaign. Ever. A little jarring when you get to Reflection and there are corners that serve no purpose).

Fuchsdh

All of the Halo maps in multiplayer function as in-universe settings and locations, even before Halo 4. Lockout was the site of a Flood containment/research facility used primarily by the Monitor, hence the teleportation grid would be favored over physical travel routes. Blackout on the other hand, is much harder to justify as a real location because Forerunner geometry makes little sense in the context of human design. It's supposed to be a weather monitoring station, but it clearly doesn't look designed for practical human use. It's easier to explain Forerunner design elements meshing with multiplayer design elements because they didn't operate like humans do. Lots of hovering and teleporting and all that crap. Generally, the human maps are a little more practical and believable with exits and entrances in reasonable places, even if the geometry is made for seven foot tall super-soldiers who can jump fifteen feet in the air, but it's not an exact rule.

I've actually spent a lot of time pondering the artistic/logical elements of Halo maps. Halo: CE is certainly the weirdest in a lot of ways, with spaces that lack context or even cohesion (Boarding Action makes zero sense) and then they get better at that with each game. Reach is easily the most grounded in its maps since all the launch maps barring Forge World were implemented into the campaign, but even they seem slightly out of place and had adjustments where needed (see: no air lifts in campaign. Ever. A little jarring when you get to Reflection and there are corners that serve no purpose).

Yeah I think Reach inadvertently showed how awkward some of the old maps were, especially. It makes a lot of sense in a way that many of Bungie's artists were frustrated architects--they end up making cool buildings and interiors that are utterly useless from a practical standpoint. So much wasted space :)

Talking dumb in the Sony RAM megathread.

That entire thread is a landmine of cognitive dissonance and fanboys cradling themselves whispering "at least it's GDDR5, right?..."

A funny little thing to note about the complaints about War Games: Reach actually started the smallest notions of virtualization of the multiplayer spaces. If you look quickly at someone spawning, they seem to have a bit of a "rez" effect when coming into the level. This is also corroborated by the Legendary Edition to an extent, which deigns the Reach disc to be a "comprehensive simulation" of the events at Reach with in-universe flavor text.

War Games was a bad idea for a variety of other reasons, but I don't think bringing multiplayer deeper into the fold of the narrative was one of them. The tangential bits were already there in how Bungie approached each map they made as a location in the universe. Namely, I feel it needed to do a bit more to feel like I was actually a Spartan training. A lot of it is very informal and weakly done. I'd like to see an interactive dorm where you could check your challenges, change your armor/loadout, do all the basic UI stuff, but in the game. BioShock 2 multiplayer did this. I'd also like to see a newsfeed akin to the Cerberus Network from Mass Effect 2, where you could read coverage of various events in the broader Halo universe.

That, and make the actual multiplayer good. But that's neither here nor there. War Games still has potential. They just have to remove the fuckery and focus on the cool.

Yeah I think Reach inadvertently showed how awkward some of the old maps were, especially. It makes a lot of sense in a way that many of Bungie's artists were frustrated architects--they end up making cool buildings and interiors that are utterly useless from a practical standpoint. So much wasted space :)

That entire thread is a landmine of cognitive dissonance and fanboys cradling themselves whispering "at least it's GDDR5, right?..."

I mean they can say it all they want, it doesnt change the fact that its using more Ram for the OS than the X1 is.

Fuchsdh

A funny little thing to note about the complaints about War Games: Reach actually started the smallest notions of virtualization of the multiplayer spaces. If you look quickly at someone spawning, they seem to have a bit of a "rez" effect when coming into the level. This is also corroborated by the Legendary Edition to an extent, which deigns the Reach disc to be a "comprehensive simulation" of the events at Reach with in-universe flavor text.

War Games was a bad idea for a variety of other reasons, but I don't think bringing multiplayer deeper into the fold of the narrative was one of them. The tangential bits were already there in how Bungie approached each map they made as a location in the universe. Namely, I feel it needed to do a bit more to feel like I was actually a Spartan training. A lot of it is very informal and weakly done. I'd like to see an interactive dorm where you could check your challenges, change your armor/loadout, do all the basic UI stuff, but in the game. BioShock 2 multiplayer did this. I'd also like to see a newsfeed akin to the Cerberus Network from Mass Effect 2, where you could read coverage of various events in the broader Halo universe.

That, and make the actual multiplayer good. But that's neither here nor there. War Games still has potential. They just have to remove the fuckery and focus on the cool.

I agree, overall, that the War Games method works, and yeah the real issues with the actual gameplay are separate from the canonicity stuff, which I for the most part enjoyed. There's always going to be the wacky holodeck aspect to it, which just comes with the territory of "this will never really be explained satisfactorily"--at least the Infinity has an actual space where people could run around without hitting walls.

As for the UI stuff in-game--I would have said that was a cool idea but then I played Fable III, which I think showed that doing that will just be frustrating after a while.

The idea of a newsfeed would be a cool way of pushing forward story in small ways while you wait for new releases, but I think it would partially depend on everything moving to a post-Halo 4 timeframe.

Oh yeah, welcome. You're my favorite newbie.

Yeah, this? I like this.

I agree, overall, that the War Games method works, and yeah the real issues with the actual gameplay are separate from the canonicity stuff, which I for the most part enjoyed. There's always going to be the wacky holodeck aspect to it, which just comes with the territory of "this will never really be explained satisfactorily"--at least the Infinity has an actual space where people could run around without hitting walls.

As for the UI stuff in-game--I would have said that was a cool idea but then I played Fable III, which I think showed that doing that will just be frustrating after a while.

The idea of a newsfeed would be a cool way of pushing forward story in small ways while you wait for new releases, but I think it would partially depend on everything moving to a post-Halo 4 timeframe.
Fable III's execution of the concept is entirely lackluster due to the clumsy method of accessing items and the annoying loading screens between each "menu" room. That and it felt pretty disconnected from the actual Fable universe despite pretensions of the opposite. BioShock 2 was far more elegant in this regard in that it was A: optional and B: consolidated the entire room into a space that was very easy to access every option. Provided those two requirements were met, I'd be happy with a space on board the Infinity. The Xbox One shouldn't be a slouch in the loading department (hopefully) so the worst part of the Fable III's menu execution wouldn't be an issue if this were used in Halo 5.

Oh yeah, welcome. You're my favorite newbie.
Thanks -- it's good to feel welcome.

I haven't seen the word 'deigns' used in a sentence in forever.

Welcome.
And thank you.

Fuchsdh

Fable III's execution of the concept is entirely lackluster due to the clumsy method of accessing items and the annoying loading screens between each "menu" room. That and it felt pretty disconnected from the actual Fable universe despite pretensions of the opposite. BioShock 2 was far more elegant in this regard in that it was A: optional and B: consolidated the entire room into a space that was very easy to access every option. Provided those two requirements were met, I'd be happy with a space on board the Infinity. The Xbox One shouldn't be a slouch in the loading department (hopefully) so the worst part of the Fable III's menu execution wouldn't be an issue if this were used in Halo 5.

Fair enough. Haven't played Bioshock 2 so Fable III is my only real frame of reference.*

*And the game broke an hour into playing so that I couldn't leave the sanctuary using the start button, meaning if I went into my menus I had to fast travel back to a location, and if I was on a quest and I travelled to the sanctuary accidentally I'd have to dashboard. Grr.

Modders are doing something great with Halo 4. Shame customs don't get played like they used to.

If only only Microsoft allowed 360 games to work with tunneling services like XBC.. Could be playing some lag free Halo 4 Custom Games with randies for a while.

Skyline, monolith, abandon. Lobby votes abandon...

Bad dreams, wake me when voting improves and this is exactly why player toggles are far better than 100% developer matchmaking management. I enjoy Skyline & Monolith but players voting for abandon over those two rare choices astounds me.

Top Bottom