• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Omni

Skyline, monolith, abandon. Lobby votes abandon...

tumblr_lv0gvyYAxx1qhizk9o1_500.gif

The Halo community is sooo stupid sometimes.

I've posted approx. half of this before but I'm trying to present a playlist I'd like to see in matchmaking. Now that I built a gaming rig for my almost finished man cave I'm thinking I'll even give this a crack with some modding tools offline. Any feedback would be great -

I'd like to see an evolutionary hybrid playlist, I think there are a number of things to keep from Infinity with Halo 4 e.g.

1. Base traits
All players all the time = global ordnance ON, personal ordnance OFF, drop recon + resistor + recharge + dexterity + resupply + stability + stealth + wheelman + 110% movement speed + motion tracker on with Halo 3 range but Halo 4 verticality + respawn time = 5 seconds and 15 seconds for suicide/betrayal and 10 seconds if no damage done to your enemy(s).

2. Vote variants = classic vs. mythic vs. vehicles e.g.

Classic Variant = no sprint & no AA's with maps centered around this style of play. Most likely suitable for 2v2, 4v4 & 5v5.

Mythic Variant = sprint + AA's with maps centered around this style of play. Most likely suitable for 4v4, 5v5 & 8v8.

Vehicles Variants = heavier weapons and vehicles included for gametype e.g. banshee or gauss hog.

3. Voting

Round 1 is the same single map across 3 variants to vote for (as above classic/mythic/vehicles).

Round 2 is a second different map choice across 3 variants to vote for (as above classic/mythic/vehicles).

4. Loadouts

Fixed loadouts for Classic. Keep this to the usual precision weapon, secondary (no boltshot), no AA's, 2 x frag grenades only. A fine selection of DMR, BR, Carby & LS and AR for 5 fixed loadouts. Optional or rotational for secondaries between AR/supressor/pistol.

Custom loadouts for Mythic.

Mix of custom & fixed loadouts for Vehicles.

When you look at drop recon make it a 10 second incoming signal to all players so the old classic on map spawns happen but it's broadcast to all players and creates map control. This also removes the fixed position and weapon farming of the old classic as well as forces map movement to reduce camping and spawn trapping/killing. Now take all the other base mods and this game will really speed up play and separate skilled players or quality teamwork from random or inexperienced players. To me this seems like a quality iteration from classic, Bungie tweaks, 343i Infinity introduction and making the next gen Halo have some real tweaks to the sandbox overall.

I feel like Infinity/Halo 4 has really given rise to a high quality sandbox and weapon variety more than any other Halo but creating a fine base to play with and reducing the randomness of personal ordnance or the lopsidedness of skilled regular teams vs. random teams or mismatched player skills is paramount to providing a high quality and close game outcome experience.

Thoughts?

Too many different forms. It cant be done.

You need all playlists default AR/BR starts. Then you rotate the flavors of the week to cut down on playlists Zombies, Grifball, SWAT, n the Action Sack type stuff.

Then different playlists basically come down to how many people you are with.

Variants so different shouldn't be in the same playlist. Doing so is not actually providing the player with options, it's just like hey you want to play this thing? Well if you go into this playlist you might be able to play what you went into that playlist to play, if you get lucky.

Don't really think things should have that variety in matchmaking in general, but that's kind of another discussion.

Thoughts?
I'm not a fan of hybrid playlists that offer such different experiences.
I enter a playlist of the gametype I want to play.
If I go into a classic slayer playlist then I don't want to play AA/perk slayer or heavy weapon/vehicle bonanza.

And I disagree with your thoughts on the Halo 4 sandbox.
The weapons are all extremely powerful, but I think that design is a major reason why Halo 4 matches are so boring for experienced players.

But the main point of your post is your playlist idea and, while I think your base player traits are on the right track, I dislike the idea of a hybrid playlist.

J10

Banned
I wonder how CTF would play if:

You can still use the weapon you had out when you picked up the flag.
You can't zoom, switch weapons, throw grenades, or reload without putting the flag down first.
You move at 90% speed.

Too many different forms. It cant be done.

You need all playlists default AR/BR starts. Then you rotate the flavors of the week to cut down on playlists Zombies, Grifball, SWAT, n the Action Sack type stuff.

Then different playlists basically come down to how many people you are with.

But I prefer the DMR? Can agree with playlists based on team size and gametype though.

Variants so different shouldn't be in the same playlist. Doing so is not actually providing the player with options, it's just like hey you want to play this thing? Well if you go into this playlist you might be able to play what you went into that playlist to play, if you get lucky.

Don't really think things should have that variety in matchmaking in general, but that's kind of another discussion.

Good feedback and seems most prefer the variants to be full blown playlists.

I'm not a fan of hybrid playlists that offer such different experiences.
I enter a playlist of the gametype I want to play.
If I go into a classic slayer playlist then I don't want to play AA/perk slayer or heavy weapon/vehicle bonanza.

And I disagree with your thoughts on the Halo 4 sandbox.
The weapons are all extremely powerful, but I think that design is a major reason why Halo 4 matches are so boring for experienced players.

But the main point of your post is your playlist idea and, while I think your base player traits are on the right track, I dislike the idea of a hybrid playlist.

I think you hit the nail on the head, the base traits are really what I want to push across a number of playlists. Perhaps better as just a vote variant for any playlist?

I wonder how CTF would play if:

You can still use the weapon you had out when you picked up the flag.
You can't zoom, switch weapons, throw grenades, or reload without putting the flag down first.
You move at 90% speed.

Interesting but I think the old method if dropping the flag to use your weapons was preferred. Otherwise carrying rockets and the flag is a crazy bait trap or run and gun affair.

Seems we all just want CTF of old back ;) I do agree if you have weapons access the flag speed should be nerfed.

I just got an awful idea. What if they went back to two starting weapons across the board? One as a dedicated Magnum-style weapon and a suppression automatic. The suppressor could only damage shields, but headshots on unshielded targets would slightly slow them down like the CE Plasma Rifle.

Beginning of every Wahrer post ever

"I just had an idea"

Followed by the worst fucking thing ever.

I'm like that Mass Effect race that's got to say their emotions before they talk.

"Absolutely trash weapon sandbox proposal. Hey guys, hear me out here..."

On a related note, would you guys mind providing input on a few map designs I'm working on? I can whip up a minimegapost in about two hours.

TheOddOne

Wahrer is that cocaine cat. You guys leave him alone. He is what we all will be in two years, drunk, high, making concepts, making spaceage music and joining some kind of cult. It's going to happen, because of social media.

I have no idea what I am typing anymore. Somebody stop me. I... have this idea to combine the Railgun with the Sticky Detonator. Everytime it shoots, rainbows come out of nowhere. Also, it's only available on DLC maps.

In short, cocaine and go watch Pacific Rim.

What the hell do you do all day

Lifeguard bad kids to pay for the vast sums of crystal meth needed to think of things and then moonlight as a deformed cat on the world's premiere video game forum

(this is my first day off in a week so I gotta squeeze out all my pent-up creative joosus)

I just got an awful idea. What if they went back to two starting weapons across the board? One as a dedicated Magnum-style weapon and a suppression automatic. The suppressor could only damage shields, but headshots on unshielded targets would slightly slow them down like the CE Plasma Rifle.

Just bring back the Halo 1 Pistol as it was along with the AR for starting weapons. Change the other weapons accordingly as map pickups.

No weapon has been more fun and rewarding than the H1 Pistol. Fact. If you want to argue about it, meet me after school at 3pm behind the benches.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just bring back the Halo 1 Pistol as it was along with the AR for starting weapons. Change the other weapons accordingly as map pickups.

No weapon has been more fun and rewarding than the H1 Pistol. Fact. If you want to argue about it, meet me after school at 3pm behind the benches.

The Halo 1 pistol was overpowered and thus nullified the use of many other weapons in that sandbox. The contrary point to that is the H1 pistol was around before we had more precision rifles (DMR/BR) and could possibly work just fine now.

So, I'm at a crossroads.

The Halo 1 pistol was overpowered and thus nullified the use of many other weapons in that sandbox. The contrary point to that is the H1 pistol was around before we had more precision rifles (DMR/BR) and could possibly work just fine now.

So, I'm at a crossroads.

You increase the use of other weapons in the sandbox by adding unique traits to it, like the Plasma Rifle stun or the 3x hitscan DMR for BTB or the extremely easy-to-land-a-4sk BR.

This should have been the natural evolution of Halo after 1, not what we're currently getting with weapon redundance.

You fight on the blacktop, dude. You go behind the benches to make out.

This is awkward.

Lifeguard bad kids to pay for the vast sums of crystal meth needed to think of things and then moonlight as a deformed cat on the world's premiere video game forum

(this is my first day off in a week so I gotta squeeze out all my pent-up creative joosus)

Only one of the bolded is made up.

Now taking all bets.

It's always cool getting to see new maps like this. I'm kind of confused about a few parts of the layout, though. I hope they release an overhead view or something so we can see what it'll play like.

While I'm glad to have remakes such as The Pit it gets annoying when every remake loses something from the original e.g. Pitfall not having the yellow ledges all over the map. I used those so much during Halo 3 The Pit, they're part of why the map was so great.

Similar things happened on Blackout, half the jumps went missing.

nillapuddin

BTB Skirmish - Complex - CTF.

I get that they need to justify the maps existence, but just, no.

that map/those bases are so fucking unbalanced it defies logic

So is putting The Pit in Halo 4.

So is making The Pit somehow uglier than its Halo 3 version.

-EDIT-

They have a chance to make The Pit look visually appealing (I found it boring/bland in H3) with a remake but they decide to throw dirt and brown all over it. They keep dropping the ball with the art direction for these maps IMO.

You forgot camo and the mind-numbing achievement that goes along with it.

The fun-suck is a guarantee at this point for anything outside of LegendARy and Throwdown.

Tawpgun

I wonder if we'll see OS spawn where it used to.

Should I even put a sliver of faith in 343 not fucking up weapon placements?

Top Bottom