• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
image.php
ib1cYqCy9f5XtM.gif

It's possible. Assassins Creed 2 overtook Halo 4 and I'm sure Halo 3 will emulate that success when it goes free. When the idea was unveiled they heavily implied Halo 3 would be an early release on the program. Why mention it specifically if they knew they had other big titles coming sooner? Plus it took 343 by surprise enough for Frankie to come in here and plead ignorance to the scheme. We were assured of a Halo 3 (and Reach) update about a year ago. Then it was 'after' halo 4. Then it was either silence or workload excuse from a 300 person company tasked with one franchise.

MS announcing Halo 3 going free basically forces 343's hand on the playlist consolidation because the current playlist setup is shaped heavily around the ODST all DLC disk. I could definitely envisage a scenario where 343 made a panicky phonecall asking for more time to do a playlist update.

Also, The Pit (plus one guest) DLC is their last hurrah and salvo for their first game proper. If Halo 3 and The Pit in its original glory releases around the same time for free, it's a bit of a party crasher.
Ah, now the Pit I can see being a good reason you might be right.
Certainly the presser implied both AC2 and H3 in July, but we learned quickly enough that they had altered that message.

And yes, the dlc does sort of force the consolidation topic. But I should stop before I'm "unreasonable" about asking for a dlc price cut etc.

Still, if doing it right takes time, then by all means take an extra month or two. I'd rather that than it coming out messily and spoiling the chance for a goodwill mini-revival.

nillapuddin

So I played BTB Slayer* on Longbow just now...

*no custom loadouts (5 pre-sets), no personal ordnance, no AA's, set timers on weapons and vehicles

Maybe I missed this, but its.. fun. Really fun.
I am far from hating Halo 4, but I will admit, the game just.. worked, flawlessly.

It "felt like Halo", I was unaware that gametype even existed in that playlist.

For tonight at the very least, I will be with the notion that Halo should dial it back down, and make Halo 3.5 on Xbox One.

*no custom loadouts (5 pre-sets), no personal ordnance, no AA's, set timers on weapons and vehicles

I am far from hating Halo 4, but I will admit, the game just.. worked, flawlessly.

For tonight at the very least, I will be with the notion that Halo should dial it back down, and make Halo 3.5 on Xbox One.

Nice to hear mate, that's the Pro variant we've been praising.

I figured he was going to post in here, but last night ExWife and I played a few games of Multi-Team. Donged on Swat on Solace first, then went and JIP'd a standard Infinity Slayer on Complex. The lead team had over 200 points when we got in there.

I got a SAW and donged then died. He got a SAW, might have been mine I don't know, and went on like a 15 kill streak or something ridiculous. Other team was five kills away from winning, we were seven, and EW and I were freaking out, got the last seven kills before the other team got four.

Embarrassing to the maximum for the other teams. EW went 30-2, I went 20-9.

mo60

I love the slayer pro variant in Infinity slayer a lot to.I at least don't have to worry about ordnance,armour abilities or the boltshot in this gametype,I have not touched BTB slayer in awhile.

nillapuddin

Nice to hear mate, that's the Pro variant we've been praising.

Thats the thing man, it was not "Pro"
Its just plain Slayer, (I didnt know it existed in MM, I thought it was Infinity or bust)

Because honestly, I never played a single Pro variant of any gametype and enjoyed it, I would go as far to say I hate it. Pro always bothers me, this was just Slayer with no fluff at all.

It was just Kill People: The Game.

Tawpgun

Its just plain Slayer, (I didnt know it existed in MM, I thought it was Infinity or bust)

Because honestly, I never played a single Pro variant of any gametype and enjoyed it, I would go as far to say I hate it. Pro always bothers me, this was just Slayer with no fluff at all.

That's because regular base halo 4 (infinity) is so far gone that regular no nonsense slayer is regarded as pro.

Rumble pro is the same way.

"Pro" is better than the shit that is Infinity.

Starting Monday we'll be adding Pistol primary to Legendary Slayer, adding motion tracker to Pro and adding Legendary / Pro / Infinity voting options to several playlists. Stay tuned.

Overdoziz

Banned
If Halo 5 is gonna have just as many different gametypes with meaningless names like in Reach and Halo 4 they should really show some basic gametype information in the lobby.

FyreWulff

If Halo 5 is gonna have just as many different gametypes with meaningless names like in Reach and Halo 4 they should really show some basic gametype information in the lobby.

Match on: Location
Weapons: Guns
Time Limit: Finite
Flags: Present
Score to Win: Possible

Fracas

#fuckonami

Who needs detailed information when you can just have Steitzer half-heartedly exclaim "HOLD THE BALL TO EARN POINTS"

mo60

Starting Monday we'll be adding Pistol primary to Legendary Slayer, adding motion tracker to Pro and adding Legendary / Pro / Infinity voting options to several playlists. Stay tuned.

I thought you were frankie(stinkies) for a second.

J10

Banned
If people could actually see all the gameplay settings spelled out on the screen that would lead to broken B buttons everywhere.

FyreWulff

KkMzYP7.jpg

I don't know why Bungie ever stopped doing that.

Fun fact about Halo 2 that you reminded me about with that picture:

Almost every map that supports the Warthog in Halo 2 by default has the Warthog in the map picture (I want to say all of them, but I think one might have a zoomed out view)

FyreWulff

Pretty sure Desolation doesn't have a warthog in the pic.

Hogs aren't present by default, because I was thinking of Desolation (and Foundation) too, hence the default disclaimer.

... I'm not even really sure why the map supported them, but it at least gave us the hilarious cloning glitch and you could make yourself hundreds of Warthogs until your Xbox exploded.

Is Desolation a H2V map? That would explain it, and why Fyre didn't think of it.

Nope, those'd be Uplift and District

Hogs aren't present by default, because I was thinking of Desolation (and Foundation) too, hence the default disclaimer.

... I'm not even really sure why the map supported them, but it at least gave us the hilarious cloning glitch and you could make yourself hundreds of Warthogs until your Xbox exploded.

Nope, those'd be Uplift and District
Oh, my bad, missed that phrasing. what about halo ce? I know blood gulch had warthogs in the pic but did side winder? The pc maps?

Madness

Can't really see which post would have gotten him banned. Maybe he asked for it?

Problem is, moderation seems strict but it's really influenced by the personal feelings of mods. If they don't personally like something, it leads to a ban. In my short time on GAF, I've seen it numerous times already. It's why I've stopped posting in off topic altogether. Kyle got Permabanned for insulting himself.

TCKaos

I believe it did actually. I think the map thumbnail is the hog sitting in front of one of the bases?

Dunno about the PC maps though

All of them but Gephyrophobia, Infinity and Danger Canyon. Gephyrophobia has Shades and Ghosts visible, Danger Canyon has Ghosts, but Infinity is too focused on the base structure (which is identical to the structure you defend in "Halo" the mission).

Top Bottom