• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

halo 4 servers are not available?

Default playlist. Does anyone know when the servers will be back up?

edit: Nvm, I restarted my game and now it works.

Hot off the presses, Halo bulletin

New Medals with Championship Bundle:
Goal Defense: Kill an enemy ball carrier within 25m of your goal without them scoring.
Ball Clear: Throw a ball 40m away from your own goal.
Goal Keeper: Kill 5 enemies while defending the goal.
Rejection: Intercept a throw within 25m of your goal.
Fast Break: Scoring a goal within 15 seconds of a ball set without a turnover.

Legendary Rumble for week 5, introducing a Legendary Rumble BR.

Gamescon Qualifier
The Gamescom Halo 4 Global Championship Qualifier will be taking place from August 22nd – August 24th (Thursday – Saturday) and each day will be an individual tournament, meaning that competitors need not make a weekend-long commitment in order to participate. Due to the size and format of Gamescom, the tournament will be walk-up only. Arrive early each day if you’d like to get a spot in the competition, as we cannot guarantee anyone a spot. For the same reasons, we cannot guarantee that all attendees will be able to compete (that would be awesome but may also take several months) and estimate that we will be able to accommodate at least 1,500 competitors over the course of the weekend.

AGL9

blamite

Additionally, we want to hear your feedback on the game type, as we are considering adding it to the Legendary Slayer playlist after the tournament concludes.

You're considering it? Fuck you! Just do it already, goddamn, I'm so sick of this shit. Are you actually committed to doing this or not? How log did it take you to change the primary and secondary weapons in one gametype? How long is it gonna take you to consider putting it in the playlist? Another week? Two? Based on what, whether or not people want it? I think the results are fucking in on that already. Holy shit, how many people are even working on this, like two? What the hell is taking so long?

You're considering it? Fuck you! Just do it already, goddamn, I'm so sick of this shit. Are you actually committed to doing this or not? How log did it take you to change the primary and secondary weapons in one gametype? How long is it gonna take you to consider putting it in the playlist? Another week? Two? Based on what, whether or not people want it? I think the results are fucking in on that already. Holy shit, how many people are even working on this, like two? What the hell is taking so long?

I would hazard a guess it's so players delve into the Global Championships for Legendary Rumble BR. Makes sense to me. I'm fairly confident once the tournament is over we'll see a number of change ups to standard matchmaking.

FYC

Banned
So the ranks leading up to 50 are the slowest huh? I guess it has something to do with that specialization stuff. I've never really understood it, but guess I'll mess around with them when I unlock 'em.

Halo gets new postrelease medals for the first time.
S2S4hZl.gif

In any case, there weren't enough medals in the game. With these new ones (that disappear too fast for you to notice them), I'm sure the game will become a much more rewarding experience for everybody.

nillapuddin

Played Halo 4 on my girlfriends GT tonight (SR1), forgot you had to unlock weapons...

However, in 2 games I was SR-6 already, blah blah
I just ran BR, Magnum, Frags for the night

A couple of times we got to play infinity big team slayer, so that, combined with my lack of loadout choices lead to me playing the entire night I played sans mods and AA's...

and I had a great time.
I will never renounce my slrp'n ways.. but I will admit it that classic Halo charm still works on me

for one of the first times, i found myself getting annoyed with all the power weapons in infinity slayer

In 5 games got to CSR 21 in BTB, lol, silly CSR...

mo60

343i is worrying about the gc right now.They can not really play around with the other playlists right now

TheOddOne

So in May ex-Creative Director for LucasArts (The Cancelled Star Wars: First Assault?, Republic Command) joined 343. He was also Creative Director and Franchise Director for Tomb Raider 2013 reboot at Crystal Dynamics.

jpDFHERdA0S00.png

#Things

Congrats to Wolfkill and co.

So in May ex-Creative Director for LucasArts (The Cancelled Star Wars: First Assault?, Republic Command) joined 343. He was also Creative Director and Franchise Director for Tomb Raider 2013 reboot at Crystal Dynamics.

jpDFHERdA0S00.png

#Things

Isn't that Josh's Role from Halo 4? I wonder if Josh is creative director on a different title, moved to a new role or ending his contract?

TheOddOne

Isn't that Josh's Role from Halo 4? I wonder if Josh is creative director on a different title, moved to a new role or ending his contract?
There were always multiple "Creative Directors": Josh Holmes , Brad Welch (Multiplayer), Scott Warner (Campaign?) and now the new guy.

My guess he is going to own a certain part of the overall package or assist with helping other parts. Seeing his strong backround in MP, I think he will focus on that aspect.

Ghazi

Legendary Rumble BR

"We're considering it"

Bahahahahhahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahaha oh that's too good, I'm glad I bailed the fuck out of there while I could.

PNut

Banned
They're considering adding br's to legendary slayer? Last night it peaked at like 400 people. Hahahahaha! Holy shit

My file share has been blank since Halo 3 because apparently my gamertag, FUBAR McDangles, is against Bungie/343i TOS even though XBL says its fine. Frankie plz

Needs less FUBAR and moar McDangleBoJangles.

S2S4hZl.gif

In any case, there weren't enough medals in the game. With these new ones (that disappear too fast for you to notice them), I'm sure the game will become a much more rewarding experience for everybody.

Yes, very rewarding.

jpDFHERdA0S00.png

#Things

Heh, John is emotional vulnerable with the loss of cortana, protect him from ONI while we will throwing into a desert and look for rope because he is semi naked and covered in mud.

azbjDjB_460sa.gif

blamite

343i is worrying about the gc right now.They can not really play around with the other playlists right now

Awful excuse. If you are a Microsoft first party developer and you don't have enough people on your sustain team to support more than one playlist for your flagship game that came out less than a year ago you are doing some things very very wrong.

Ghazi

They didn't have to "win over the customer", they probably had a fair amount of already guaranteed DLC sales off the LE and pre-launch Season pass purchases that people (including me) got during the hype period.

I doubt they sold truck loads of DLC afterwards, most of their profits were from those pre release purchases and they know they won't be so lucky next time with that.

J10

Banned
How is the GC generating profits? It's not like the GC is selling copies.

It's not. But the question is why does the sustain team appear so inadequate? They're probably understaffed and overtasked by the demands of the community. They're not gonna fill a department that doesn't have any significant positive impact on the bottom line with twenty people, however many it really takes. Profits are mostly front loaded. Any service we see after we've already bought the game is a bonus. We're not entitled to it, but it's cool nonetheless if we get any at all. Bungie was better at it because the value they saw in it couldn't be measured in dollars.

... sustain team have done loads in the past 8 months.
In terms of weekly changes they've been extremely active.

I mean, they haven't done what I'd have liked, but they've certainly kept trying each week.

Enfinit

It's not. But the question is why does the sustain team appear so inadequate? They're probably understaffed and overtasked by the demands of the community. They're not gonna fill a department that doesn't have any significant positive impact on the bottom line with twenty people, however many it really takes. Profits are mostly front loaded. Any service we see after we've already bought the game is a bonus. We're not entitled to it, but it's cool nonetheless if we get any at all. Bungie was better at it because the value they saw in it couldn't be measured in dollars.

If I recall correctly, I believe 343i houses roughly 300+ employees. I have the imagine the team is well staffed and has the manpower, however I'd say 85% of the team is working toward Halo 5 Xbox One, which 10% on Halo 4 and the other 5% on Spartan Assault/Web team/etc.

It almost seems that when they launched Halo 4, they had a wonderful sustain team for the next 2-3 months. Then when development on the next Halo title ramped up, they just put Halo 4 in the rearview mirror. The sustain team is wonderful for being active week after week... But something doesn't click. The changes they're making just isn't...working. They don't get it or want to get it. They're not responding adequately enough to the community. Well, by community I guess I mean HaloGAF.

Fuchsdh

If I recall correctly, I believe 343i houses roughly 300+ employees. I have the imagine the team is well staffed and has the manpower, however I'd say 85% of the team is working toward Halo 5 Xbox One, which 10% on Halo 4 and the other 5% on Spartan Assault/Web team/etc.

It almost seems that when they launched Halo 4, they had a wonderful sustain team for the next 2-3 months. Then when development on the next Halo title ramped up, they just put Halo 4 in the rearview mirror. The sustain team is wonderful for being active week after week... But something doesn't click. The changes they're making just isn't...working. They don't get it or want to get it. They're not responding adequately enough to the community. Well, by community I guess I mean HaloGAF.

Precisely. It's one thing to complain that sustain isn't doing what HaloGAF wants, but to conflate that with "sustain isn't doing anything" is an insult to people doing their jobs better than Bungie did.

J10

Banned
Yeah, people here are talking like they're hardly doing anything, and most of what they do do sucks. Shit, if they have 30 people still working on Halo 4 and ya'll are still playing and finding shit to complain about, either there is no pleasing you or they must really suck at their jobs. I don't imagine it's easy to get a job at Microsoft in the first place and I don't imagine you can just coast on by once you do work there.

Enfinit

Precisely. It's one thing to complain that sustain isn't doing what HaloGAF wants, but to conflate that with "sustain isn't doing anything" is an insult to people doing their jobs better than Bungie did.

They're definitely doing something, and I certainly commend them for being active week after week. I can't give them enough props for keeping matchmaking's heart pumping with matchmaking updates week-after-week, as well as listening to continuous feedback (despite not always implementing it). I'm not too in-tune with much of the Halo community outside of Waypoint and HaloGAF, however there still seems to be an overall level of disappointment with the sustain team.

It's great that they're here week after week. It just seems that no matter what they do that level of disappoint isn't going away. I guess it's just too late to change it.

TCKaos

jbqXlxac6ABsdl.png

/r/halo pls

I mean, they haven't done what I'd have liked, but they've certainly kept trying each week.

This is something that we have to understand when we're trying to do Halo's post-mortem. It might not seem like they've done much if you're comparing Halo 4 to the other Halo games, but if you compare current Halo 4 to launch Halo 4, the difference is amazing. The sustain team has almost single handedly helped get Halo 4 in to the position it should have and could have been in at launch - a more balanced sandbox, heavy reduction of global and personal ordnance, and a respectable selection of playable forged and non-forged maps.

I then spent twenty minutes writing some metaphor about plane crashes, and it was sort of funny initially, but eventually it was so long winded that it didn't get the point across and it wasn't really funny anymore.

however there still seems to be an overall level of disappointment with the sustain team.

It's great that they're here week after week. It just seems that no matter what they do that level of disappoint isn't going away. I guess it's just too late to change it.

Every online Halo has such dissension with fans, you can't please them all. Personally I still favour BF3 style player toggles over heavily developer managed playlists, it caters to a wider cross section but drills down to the individual or team focus more. It's just a better solution to matchmaking and flows on to sustain, maps, settings, player/team matching, skill matching etc.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

On one hand they have done a whole lot. On the other hand, Doubles hasn't seen a real update since it was first created.

On one hand they have done a whole lot. On the other hand, Doubles hasn't seen a real update since it was first created.

I wonder if they could produce an interactive Waypoint tool similar to the old Bungie heatmaps top down view. Players or CC's etc would then mark out their weapons/spawns etc and the heatmap-esque technology would compute everyone's input and output a general consensus.

If they could match data from matchmaking as a control colour, perhaps a wild idea to integrate Forge creations of the same file (perhaps a CC only version) and what players do on this proposed Waypoint feature you may really have an insane tool.

It would literally be a visual and aggregate data representation of:

1. what is in matchmaking
2. what CC's test or change
3. what players actually want overlayed on top of each other.

I know MS have some insane testing tools but the Bungie heatmap technology could be very well adapted to merge in game and Waypoint website features to feed directly into map design, playlist/setting tweaks, sustain and improve player satisfaction.

Oh definitely, the decisions made are oft bizarre to me, but it does seem like there are a bunch of people working every week and pushing changes out.

Again, to get more insight into 343 and know what is happening inside would be great.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRMl_DQCEAEbqec.png:large[IMG]

Discuss.[/QUOTE]
Frank looks sleepy? Frank & Kiki are a good height to make the Spartans seem tall. :P

Top Bottom