• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this happened on Warzone....Quite possibly the quickest match i have had!

Screenshot-Original.png

and I took the final shot!

Here

But then decided to have a game of SWAT for the first time and yeah...I knew why i loved that game type in the previous halos :p

Quick thinking while enemy was in mid air

and

The only way I can go out in style

some of my best games i think

Nutter

okay, be honest:
who else would be okay with jetpacks coming back?

LOL, please keep your jetpacks to Reach and 4. They do not belong in a competitive Halo.

I am actually not sure about the population counts, but i am not surprised by the lack of people at this point. When people rage quit because of team mates/ too hard to get kills/ or a variety of other reasons, they go to a game that does not punish them for being bad or quitting [COD/BF]. You can quit to your hearts desire in those games. In fact I would go as far as saying that before COD people would be less likely to rage quit a Halo game, but since COD4 showed up, people were not punished for quitting as the games had join in progress and well the rest is history.

TL:DR - COD has created a mindset of impatient and rage filled fucks that cant play Halo.

Trup1aya

spartan charge is halo 5's promethean vision/jetpack

armor lock is in a league of its own

Not by any stretch of the imagination. Those two broke the game in terms of how they altered the sandbox and flow of engagements.

Spartan charge = any other melee, and hangs the users out to dry. It has checks and balances

okay, be honest:
who else would be okay with jetpacks coming back?

Maybe in Warzone. But I'd be just as happy if it stayed gone forever.

Hatchtag

Banned
LOL, please keep your jetpacks to Reach and 4. They do not belong in a competitive Halo.

I am actually not sure about the population counts, but i am not surprised by the lack of people at this point. When people rage quit because of team mates/ too hard to get kills/ or a variety of other reasons, they go to a game that does not punish them for being bad or quitting [COD/BF]. You can quit to your hearts desire in those games. In fact I would go as far as saying that before COD people would be less likely to rage quit a Halo game, but since COD4 showed up, people were not punished for quitting as the games had join in progress and well the rest is history.

TL:DR - COD has created a mindset of impatient and rage filled fucks that cant play Halo.

Why not? Doesn't putting more emphasis on a third plane of movement add more skill?

Anyways, as for population drop, well, no shit. I like this game a lot, but it is lacking in content, one of the most advertised modes is really bad imo (Warzone), and while its online works well, it's not well set-up. There's no social options and the way it handles some things like quitting is complete trash. It's not hard to see why people might stop playing this game.

Nearly a month after release, Multiplayer is broken outside US and UE and 343 seems to doesn't care. Had the press said something about?
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/e0d9938206f04a598ce84f2c8cadce02/topics/warzone-dont-work-south-ameria-africa-australia/06223e76-9c6e-45fe-af01-fb00160803b0/posts?page=82#post1625

strange, not experienced that (platinum 4, Canada),

BUT - I've been playing team arena (mostly) every day since launch, zero problems (maybe a few dropped connections mid match, but nothing noteworthy).

Then today - no dice, none at all. I will experience all sorts of little Xbox live related glitches (in Halo 5 only), and now I get booted ~5 seconds into every online game, saying "error - connection lost".

Been trying all the basic Internet, router, and Xbox first aid since this morning - nothing has changed.

Very sad I can't play Halo 5 online anymore - hoping fairies will fix this while I sleep...

daedalius

Why not? Doesn't putting more emphasis on a third plane of movement add more skill?

Anyways, as for population drop, well, no shit. I like this game a lot, but it is lacking in content, one of the most advertised modes is really bad imo (Warzone), and while its online works well, it's not well set-up. There's no social options and the way it handles some things like quitting is complete trash. It's not hard to see why people might stop playing this game.

This community/thread is something else, sheesh

Nutter

Jetpacks broke map movement.

What is trash about the quitting? The fact that it actually penalizes you for quitting? (It actually does not penalize the player enough) Fuck quitters and their low attention span adderall requiring asses.

Hatchtag

Banned
This community/thread is something else, sheesh

Why? I'm in no way saying it's a bad game-it's a pretty good one-but I think there's some really obvious faults with it.

What is trash about the quitting? The fact that it actually penalizes you for quitting? (It actually does not penalize the player enough) Fuck quitters and their low attention span adderall requiring asses.

I was talking about how it handles quitting for everyone else, not for the quitter. If you quit, no big deal. There's really minimal penalties if you do it infrequently. If someone quits in a match, your rank goes down if you lose regardless. If a bunch of people quit and the game becomes boring because of it, too bad, there's no mercy vote, you have to play it out. It's really frustrating, because it honestly makes quitting a better option if someone else quits. At least then you're not wasting your time just having your rank go down.

Also, imo, jetpacks only broke map movement for maps not built around jetpacks. There's some in Reach at least that became really fun because of jetpacks.

Just had the most satisfying experience in BTB.

Solo-queued a game, got matched against a full team of 8, two were Champions in the high 50s. They beat us pretty easily, we had a decent run back, but I'd still consider us getting trampled.

Solo-queue again, immediately get queued against that same team of 8, once again with randoms. Except this time they awoke the try-hard in me, and we rekt them hard.

Feels so good having to go all in, knowing what you're getting into, and trying you hardest to pull in that W, and get that revenge. Man I'm so happy right now.

EDIT: Apparently I got matched with two Halo Pros, Snip3Down and UnLegit, have no idea who these players are, but I did better than one of them, and placed #3 on my team, so I pulled my weight.

This is now my second time matching with Halo Pros, and doing as well/better than them.

GUESS IT'S TIME FOR SPEEDYBICEPS TO GO PRO ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

Hatchtag

Banned

Solo-queued a game, got matched against a full team of 8, two were Champions in the high 50s. They beat us pretty easily, we had a decent run back, but I'd still consider us getting trampled.

Solo-queue again, immediately get queued against that same team of 8, once again with randoms. Except this time they awoke the try-hard in me, and we rekt them hard.

Feels so good having to go all in, knowing what you're getting into, and trying you hardest to pull in that W, and get that revenge. Man I'm so happy right now.

EDIT: Apparently I got matched with two Halo Pros, Snip3Down and UnLegit, have no idea who these players are, but I did better than one of them, and placed #3 on my team, so I pulled my weight.

This is now my second time matching with Halo Pros, and doing as well/better than them.

GUESS IT'S TIME FOR SPEEDYBICEPS TO GO PRO ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

there are people in this thread that are onyx/champions, and here i am, forever silver
except in swat but who isn't at least platinum in that

a.wd

They really should release fall of reach so that people can catch up. Its pretty good, though the animation while beautiful feels stiff, its the style, but I never got the same impressions that I did from the books, that spartans were basically cybernetically enhanced war ninjas. But its good for catching people up.

Batshit crazy idea of the month: hear me out.

Apparently H5 is peaking somewhere around ~100k concurrent users (prob closer to 125k), which isn't horrible but according to this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 its lower than H4 which is understandable (lower install base) which is disappointing. We'll see what Christmas does.

So alot of complaints were either campaign/lack of content. In 3 years the xbone will have a huge install base (slim coming next year). So release H6 as a F2P multiplayer only game ala Dota, LoL, Hearthstone etc. Thats ~50million people possibly playing H6 in 3ish years. With the game being multiplayer only, it can be flooded with content, huge number of maps, iterate on warzone (incorporate firefight into it?), return/imrpove all of the old features (4 player theatre viewing, firefight, gametypes etc), give forge a huge upgrade (AI/Scripting), you know where im going with this. Include a classic halo playlist or 2 and keep improving the solid gameplay of 5.

Now how do they make money? Go balls to the wall with REQs. I want 50 armor effects from Reach 3$ each, I want Arnold Schwarzenegger to be a MP announcer for $5, hundreds of skins for a few bucks including user made ones, just let your imagination go wild. Customization up the ass. Make it so you can buy them all with RP but it will take a decent chunk of time, or just buy them. Then continue expanding Warzone and its current crazy ass weapons/armor in packs thing it has going and dial that up a few notches. If you say 343 puts 25% of req sales into HCS which is a solid guess, 700kx4=2.8mil in 3 weeks with sales probably around 3-4mil, if you take a ~50mil ish xbone userbase that's going to increase it by a factor of 10, not counting all the new cool shit even I wouldn't be able to resist. 2.8x20=56 mil. H5 only had sales of 400m (including hardware) so its not completely illogical.

Development costs will be 1/4th of what H5 was. Do another, bigger "sustain" for this game and you can keep MILLIONS of people around for years (instead of ~125k concurrent). Would be a huge advantage of Xbox. Throw in a possible player economy/esports integration CS/Dota etc use and we could be having massive HWC tournaments rivaling LoL/Dota. Player engagement through the roof.

Of course people love the Halo Universe, playing through those non combat missions it looks like 343 had some ideas but didn't have time. I say make future mainline game SP only ala Fallout/Elder Scrolls, those are hugely popular. Maybe branch off into a FPS RPG focused more on story/universe ala mass effect and way less on loot like destiny/borderlands.

So we would get a MASSIVE multiplayer offering for free, with only OPTIONAL micro transactions that are cosmetic or warzone only, with a huge thriving multiplayer community/economy and us drowning in content (modes, maps, features, etc. even adding AI to forge would create infinite content). On top of that we would get a ~$30-40 high quality Halo story continuation that could literally go anywhere even across genres. (seriously while playing those missions I was sitting there....what if?).

I really think this would work.

If you start streaming I'll watch you play.

Evo X

We had a crazy comeback tonight in BTB Slayer on Deadlock, in large part thanks to Speedy. Think he went 25-7.

We were down around 30 kills in the beginning getting absolutely hammered. Other team spawn killing us controlling all of the power weapons and vehicles on the map. One guy on our team even rage quit. Then we pulled ourselves together and beat them 100-97. Went ham with the shotgun and all of my BR kills were Perfect. Felt fucking amazing.

Apparently H5 is peaking somewhere around ~100k concurrent users (prob closer to 125k), which isn't horrible but according to this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 its lower than H4 which is understandable (lower install base) which is disappointing. We'll see what Christmas does.

So alot of complaints were either campaign/lack of content. In 3 years the xbone will have a huge install base (slim coming next year). So release H6 as a F2P multiplayer only game ala Dota, LoL, Hearthstone etc. Thats ~50million people possibly playing H6 in 3ish years. With the game being multiplayer only, it can be flooded with content, huge number of maps, iterate on warzone (incorporate firefight into it?), return/imrpove all of the old features (4 player theatre viewing, firefight, gametypes etc), give forge a huge upgrade (AI/Scripting), you know where im going with this. Include a classic halo playlist or 2 and keep improving the solid gameplay of 5.

Now how do they make money? Go balls to the wall with REQs. I want 50 armor effects from Reach 3$ each, I want Arnold Schwarzenegger to be a MP announcer for $5, hundreds of skins for a few bucks including user made ones, just let your imagination go wild. Customization up the ass. Make it so you can buy them all with RP but it will take a decent chunk of time, or just buy them. Then continue expanding Warzone and its current crazy ass weapons/armor in packs thing it has going and dial that up a few notches. If you say 343 puts 25% of req sales into HCS which is a solid guess, 700kx4=2.8mil in 3 weeks with sales probably around 3-4mil, if you take a ~50mil ish xbone userbase that's going to increase it by a factor of 10, not counting all the new cool shit even I wouldn't be able to resist. 2.8x20=56 mil. H5 only had sales of 400m (including hardware) so its not completely illogical.

Development costs will be 1/4th of what H5 was. Do another, bigger "sustain" for this game and you can keep MILLIONS of people around for years (instead of ~125k concurrent). Would be a huge advantage of Xbox. Throw in a possible player economy/esports integration CS/Dota etc use and we could be having massive HWC tournaments rivaling LoL/Dota. Player engagement through the roof.

Of course people love the Halo Universe, playing through those non combat missions it looks like 343 had some ideas but didn't have time. I say make future mainline game SP only ala Fallout/Elder Scrolls, those are hugely popular. Maybe branch off into a FPS RPG focused more on story/universe ala mass effect and way less on loot like destiny/borderlands.

So we would get a MASSIVE multiplayer offering for free, with only OPTIONAL micro transactions that are cosmetic or warzone only, with a huge thriving multiplayer community/economy and us drowning in content (modes, maps, features, etc. even adding AI to forge would create infinite content). On top of that we would get a ~$30-40 high quality Halo story continuation that could literally go anywhere even across genres. (seriously while playing those missions I was sitting there....what if?).

Wut, Halo 4 had a total of about 15 concurrent users at this point in its lifespan. That's Pretty excellent news as far as I'm concerned.

SEASONS

"Seasons are a new competitive feature for Arena that gives you a chance to continuously challenge yourself while having the opportunity to earn monthly rewards. When Seasons debut later this year, your CSR in certain playlists will be reset and you will play your placement matches again. You get a fresh start each month to try to prove yourself in select Seasonal Arena playlists. This gives you a chance to top your performance from last season, and see how high of a rank you can achieve. Seasons will last for a month, and anybody who earns a CSR in a Seasonal Playlist will earn cosmetic rewards to commemorate the Season. (Here's a sneak peek at the emblem rewarded for the December season)"

When starts the season?

This would require an insane amount of work to keep running. Riot Games has around 1000 employees and this is a more ambitious plan than what LoL is doing at the moment. The LoL/DotA model works because the installed PC user base is effectively infinite compared to consoles.

I think they are doing the right thing for now by following StarCraft 2, but they need to get better at keeping casual gamers engaged IMO since that is what also is killing off SC2. Either way I don't expect Halo 5 to become a mainstream e-sports game just yet, casual e-sports fans will still associate the crap around Reach and 4 with the Halo series and as you say the XB1 install base is just too small at the moment, but if they play their cards right they can create the conditions for Halo 6 to be able to do so.

I really miss the variety of neat tactics and tricks you could do with Armour Lock and the Jetpacks from Reach.. Though I am loving the mantling loads they've adding in. Reminds me of Thief 1 and 2.

Jetpacks? Nope.

For once, I like where 343 are taking Halo. Aside from not being as forthcoming about new stuff coming down the pipe, overall I love the gameplay and everything else.

So I'm just going to relax and see what they bring to the table.

I do hope they think about cutting up some Warzone maps for use in BTB - no reason that can't be done, right?

BraXzy

I really miss the variety of neat tactics and tricks you could do with Armour Lock and the Jetpacks from Reach.. Though I am loving the mantling loads they've adding in. Reminds me of Thief 1 and 2.

No no no. Please never again.

Jet packs break level design and armour lock is.. Armour lock.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

lol what's going on here? sarcasm? can't tell

Trup1aya

I think they are making plenty of money from H5. it could even end up being the most lucrative title (thanks to Reqs) of the bunch despite the lower than usual sales, IF 343i's sustain model works as intended. So I don't know if they really NEED to adjust their model so drastically.

Not a good example. If the player charged before you thrusted, the charge would have been within its hitbox, therefore knocking you back and taking 75% of your HP down. You'd be stunned while the player can immediately follow up with 3 bullets from an AR to kill you.

It doesn't break the game like jetpack, but you guys effectively saying its current iteration is perfect ought to take a closer look.

E92 M3

No need to be so insulting. COD is actually a good game. The difference is that I can play Blops solo and still win a good amount of time. In Halo, it's essentially group or bust. Secondly, there are no social playlists and the arena is too much pressure for some.

blakep267

I'm a little confused about how war zone assault works. I though it knew but I guess I don't. Sometimes the objective will be to capture the garage. But then the opposing team goes and captures the armory while we're defending the garage. And it doesn't make sense. Then other maps it's you can only capture one thing at a time

I'm a little confused about how war zone assault works. I though it knew but I guess I don't. Sometimes the objective will be to capture the garage. But then the opposing team goes and captures the armory while we're defending the garage. And it doesn't make sense. Then other maps it's you can only capture one thing at a time

Yeah, that's an exploit. They're looking into fixing it.

No need to be so insulting. COD is actually a good game. The difference is that I can play Blops solo and still win a good amount of time. In Halo, it's essentially group or bust. Secondly, there are no social playlists and the arena is too much pressure for some.

i barely play with a group and im winning matches.

idk, im just not having that experience. maybe im getting lucky. i won a bunch last night. more than lost. by a lot.

as far as population, i think 343 just needs to show they are dedicated to supporting the game long term. i think the december update needs to bring a lot more than just forge.

a fileshare, a new gametype (theres fucking FOUR), new reqs, and bug fixes.

I know GAF has mixed feelings about 5 but in all honesty it's an absolute blast and I'm still having fun with it and even more fun than i did in my golden days of halo 4 when the btb focused map pack came out. btb in 5 is great and plays spectacular, hoping when forge comes out they really implement that well in the multiplayer because it could use the extra maps (maybe put some focus on those forge texture updates for the people that look too into it because the negativity is a bit much for well designed maps).
On a side note though i think the best way to go about this game is the same way you go about a fighting game, turn a loss into a learning experience so you can better yourself the next time and don't spend time blaming it on stuff. Why I'm almost at the point of ranking up from diamond six on swat.

link1201

SEASONS

"Seasons are a new competitive feature for Arena that gives you a chance to continuously challenge yourself while having the opportunity to earn monthly rewards. When Seasons debut later this year, your CSR in certain playlists will be reset and you will play your placement matches again. You get a fresh start each month to try to prove yourself in select Seasonal Arena playlists. This gives you a chance to top your performance from last season, and see how high of a rank you can achieve. Seasons will last for a month, and anybody who earns a CSR in a Seasonal Playlist will earn cosmetic rewards to commemorate the Season. (Here's a sneak peek at the emblem rewarded for the December season)"

When starts the season?
I had it in my mind they'd reset for the first time in December.

I will try and find a link.

So this happened on Warzone....Quite possibly the quickest match i have had!

and I took the final shot!

Here

But then decided to have a game of SWAT for the first time and yeah...I knew why i loved that game type in the previous halos :p

Quick thinking while enemy was in mid air

and

The only way I can go out in style

some of my best games i think
I think the fastest match I've had in Warzone was 6 minutes. The opposing team were a bunch of scrubs and they couldn't stop my ghost from shooting down their core.

doesn't take a giant magnifying glass to see why Halo 5 may not be very popular.

-It's lacking content. The last 4 Halo titles have had a mix of PvE and PvP content on top of a variety of gametypes and custom options and Forge - all absent in Halo 5 currently.
-It's lacking incentive to replay the content that is there (like how there are REQs in Campaign but Campaign doesn't impact the REQ system whatsoever).
-The content that is there is experiencing its own share of problems and geared towards a specific portion of the community that is able to overlook them (i.e. hardcore players).

When those things are addressed, it ought to have a healthy playerbase. Currently however, you can't really blame anyone for leaving the game, whatever reason it may be.

E92 M3

i barely play with a group and im winning matches.

idk, im just not having that experience. maybe im getting lucky. i won a bunch last night. more than lost. by a lot.

as far as population, i think 343 just needs to show they are dedicated to supporting the game long term. i think the december update needs to bring a lot more than just forge.

a fileshare, a new gametype (theres fucking FOUR), new reqs, and bug fixes.

Yeah, that is anecdotal evidence. It's just fairly accepted that Halo requires a fireteam at the higher levels. Having a social slayer or mixed-bag playlist would go a long to help.

doesn't take a giant magnifying glass to see why Halo 5 may not be very popular.

-It's lacking content. The last 4 Halo titles have had a mix of PvE and PvP content on top of a variety of gametypes and custom options and Forge - all absent in Halo 5 currently.
-It's lacking incentive to replay the content that is there (like how there are REQs in Campaign but Campaign doesn't impact the REQ system whatsoever).
-The content that is there is experiencing its own share of problems and geared towards a specific portion of the community that is able to overlook them (i.e. hardcore players).

When those things are addressed, it ought to have a healthy playerbase. Currently however, you can't really blame anyone for leaving the game, whatever reason it may be.

I am most surprised about the content aspect, considering Halo 4 had a healthy amount.

Yeah, that is anecdotal evidence. It's just fairly accepted that Halo requires a fireteam at the higher levels. Having a social slayer or mixed-bag playlist would go a long to help.

I am most surprised about the content aspect, considering Halo 4 had a healthy amount.

the sandbox they have in place is the best halo's ever been, IMO.

i really think the life of this game is gonna depend not only on the amount of content pushed out, but the speed at which it is.

people arent waiting until February for features like "seeing my medals" and "any other gametype besides the bare minimum"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom