• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

Well i think these maps are proof that the maps looking and feeling like halo is just as important as them playing well. Man, i never thought id say this but the fucking forge maps in BTB feel more like halo than 343s maps. Its embarrassing.

Yeah, I think the pro team had too much input on the map design - and Quin even talked about that on the stream last Friday. Honestly, I am just tired of 343 talking about their pro team that couldn't even beat some European teams lol.

BokehKing

Banned
that shows in having 1/10th the player base, yep

1/10th of the halo fanbase fells this is the best playing halo ever.

You should re word your sentence into 1/10th of the halo base that likes halo 5 fels its the best playing yet.

man, im sorry. I know im in a bad mood today but this game isn't halo. Just need to go out, just hate that halo has turned into this bickering piece of a subject.
Where are you getting the 1/10th number from? Basing it from what time period?

I may not be the biggest fan of the game but 343 seems to be the one dev out there that constantly listens, posts in these threads and caters to the people who still play the game.

Realistically Halo is in a great position for the hardcore fans. Game came out a little over a month ago, 6 or 8 months from now the game may have a pve mode. It's not a yearly series, they will add to it, give it time

Zeta Oni

You should re word your sentence into 1/10th of the halo base that likes halo 5 fels its the best playing yet.

man, im sorry. I know im in a bad mood today but this game isn't halo. Just need to go out, just hate that halo has turned into this bickering piece of a subject.

Kinda hard to believe that when you said you were done with Halo 5 for good several days ago, yet your still here in the OT complaining.

Like, you said finished. You were asking people to recommend other shooters. Now, your still here.

I have no issue with expressing a point, but your taking it way further than just "I don't like this game".

Sordid

Game just crashed to dashboard and I lost a fancy boost card...

QNM05tF.gif

it's a good thing they don't expect people to pay for these things!
I think I actually got it from one of my Warzone Req Bundle packs ;_; #reqt

Kill3r7

Seriously?

A more factually correct statement would be that 1/2 to 2/3 of the Halo fan base have not even bothered to play/buy the game. They have no idea if the experience is worth it or if Halo 5 is a good game. Hopefully they decide to find out for themselves over the next few months.

matthieuC

Where did you get the 1/10th number lol

Yeah, I think the pro team had too much input on the map design - and Quin even talked about that on the stream last Friday. Honestly, I am just tired of 343 talking about their pro team that couldn't even beat some European teams lol.

What do they have to do with the map aesthetics though? Theyre job was how it plays and the gun balance no? I personally feel like the clamber and guns feel amazing. I dont think they had a say on how the map looks, which is the main problem with the maps.

343i should also give 2 random req cards at the end of every match completed.
It'll almost be the equivelant of 100-200 RP on top of your RP earning for that math; That's if you sell them both.

Maybe if you win you get a higher chance to get an uncommon, rare, ultra rare or legendary. Mythics still will have to be through the gold packs though. Shoot they could even create a new boost cards where it states you have a higher chance of getting rare/ultra rare/legendary when winning a match. Of course it's not guarenteed, but still a higher chance right? :p AM I EVIL?

THOUGHTS?! COMMENTS?! CONCERNS?! COMPLIMENTS? HIGH FIVES?

Come on Stinkles, what do you think? ;) Maybe this will swade quitters to stop!
a little...

Of course though..

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

Sounds a little low. I like a system that really incentivizes long stretches of quit-free games. Maybe have a bonus or a multiplier that builds steadily as you complete games without quitting, have it max out at... say, 1.5x-2x after 10 games.That way, people who don't quit see considerably increased returns in general.

They should also really add stuff like "first game of the day" bonuses, something to keep people logging in regularly.

E92 M3

What do they have to do with the map aesthetics though? Theyre job was how it plays and the gun balance no? I personally feel like the clamber and guns feel amazing. I dont think they had a say on how the map looks, which is the main problem with the maps.

I'm talking about overall design and I think 343 made the aesthetic follow the design philosophy. Not sure if that makes sense to you or not lol.

You can even see that in the "Sprint" video series. They built and tested levels with almost no art being applied. That got sent to the arts team to decide on a theme. It then went through several iterations where Pro Team had input on how some of that broke how the map played so it got reworked.

Pro Team had no input on the looks in general, only where they interfered with gameplay (line of sight, etc.).

Sounds a little low. I like a system that really incentivizes long stretches of quit-free games. Maybe have a bonus or a multiplier that builds steadily as you complete games without quitting, have it max out at... say, 1.5x-2x after 10 games.That way, people who don't quit see considerably increased returns in general.

They should also really add stuff like "first game of the day" bonuses, something to keep people logging in regularly.

That actually sounds way better than my idea. UGH. Why you gotta 1up me brah?

:p

Did they cancel the community update this week due to the Holiday?

it was on the stream friday. they showed off a new map and some reqs from old halo games.

no idea what else is in the update. so far we know:

new map
forge and whatever that brings
some classic helmet reqs and classic rocket launcher

and we know weekend playlist is back this weekend, no idea what the choices are yet, but IT WONT BE ODDBALL GODDAMNIT

You can even see that in the "Sprint" video series. They built and tested levels with almost no art being applied. That got sent to the arts team to decide on a theme. It then went through several iterations where Pro Team had input on how some of that broke how the map played so it got reworked.

Pro Team had no input on the looks in general, only where they interfered with gameplay (line of sight, etc.).

Ya exactly, and that to me is great. Its really the look of them that i despise.

I will admit making the change now is probably too late, no matter what halo 6 is reach - 4 to 5 has probably already did it's damage. I have faith if halo looke, felt and played right it would do much better than 4 an 5 though. Not halo 3 numbers, but much better than 4 an 5.

Halo 4 did not do that much worse than 3 in absolute numbers, but more importantly the series has been in constant decline sales-wise since 3 once you take install base into account. In fact 5 did better than Reach once you take install base into account in the naive way, so it's the first Halo game to turn the trend around, and that's with the heavy burden of following up on the MCC fiasco.

It's not hardcore Halo fans that are the "problem" btw, it's casual shooter fans that have migrated to CoD, Battlefield, and so on. You're not going to win them back by recreating 8 years old gameplay.

link1201

it was on the stream friday. they showed off a new map and some reqs from old halo games.

no idea what else is in the update. so far we know:

new map
forge and whatever that brings
some classic helmet reqs and classic rocket launcher

I saw that but is the supposed to be another community update written or streamed this week?

Mowgli

Banned
That why Reach is and probably will always be my most played Halo, there was just so much to do. Go to the campaign to do dailies/weekly/monthly; after that there were so many different types of game modes, Invasion and Headhunter for example. Once I got tired of pvp, there was always Firefight to do. There was always something to do in that game to keep it enjoyable. People can hate on Reach all they want, but it was just so enjoyable for me. I wish 343i would just take all the content and put it in H5.

I agree I hated 3 but Reach was my jam. It felt like an MMO and what Destiny should be. Still holds the spot as my favorite shooter.

So the 3d printing is available now...how many of you are going to get a 3d print of your spartan?
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/3d-printing

WSSglnp.jpg

I'd buy the 4 inch model of my spartan if the postage was good, most likely not as US to UK seems to always cost £30+ for some unknown and dumb reason.

Those example photos have to be of the large size right? i'd expect the small version to be rather basic and not too detailed due to the nature of 3D colour print.

matthieuC

I hope so but I'm off starting Wednesday so 343 may be off as well. I wasn't sure if they announced something either way.
I'm sure it's pretty much written up at this point and they're just waiting for friday to come along. Not too worried as I think they would've said no update this week if that was the case.

Trup1aya

oh god, the 2015 all games have to have sprint excuse, man that's just sad.... honestly

So sick of this "sprint' and modern shit. It JUST doesn't have to be in a game to be worth playing. So sick of this poor excuse.

just add sprint to evolve your game devs, there you go

Keep sprint in 343, keep these sales as well.

I will admit making the change now is probably too late, no matter what halo 6 is reach - 4 to 5 has probably already did it's damage. I have faith if halo looke, felt and played right it would do much better than 4 an 5 though. Not halo 3 numbers, but much better than 4 an 5.

But i honestly don't think 343 has the people that can actually do it.

but it doesn't, when you have worse maps when you have super strange vehicle physics, when you have dashing, super lock ground punches and all this stuff.. no. I'm sorry... it just doesn't play as well. It has too much going on, it is just not the game fans liked. you like it, others like it. that is fine, that is fair, but the fans of the games have voiced and showed with their wallet and play time, pretty point blank.

Lol there's a difference between you not liking the game, and the game not playing well. It plays very well.

I've been a halo fan since day one. This game has the best mechanics in franchise history. It just happens that there is much stiffer competition these days. It's just strange that you think this games sales are directly related to sprint, and your niggles with the map design.

link1201

I'm sure it's pretty much written up at this point and they're just waiting for friday to come along. Not too worried as I think they would've said no update this week if that was the case.
Ok, so they didn't mention canceling it in the last update? I had to stop watching before it ended.

Tawpgun

Jack the Ripper doesn't want to admit that if this game played more like classic halo it would have much less users playing it.

In my anecdotal MCC experience, I saw WAY too many people voting halo 4 over the other ones. The public has moved on and 343 could have easily doubled down on casuallzing Halo.

But they didn't. The added some features the public expects. Sprint and ADS mainly. But nerfed sprint and made ADS cosmetic. The new movement options and abilities seemed to actually be well thought out and integrated into the game. They feel fluid whereas armor abilities always felt tacked on.

However the game is still punished for being TOO halo. Whatever. People are idiots.

I'll take a Halo game I enjoy that is unpopular to a shit halo game that a lot of people play.

BraXzy

343i should also give 2 random req cards at the end of every match completed.
It'll almost be the equivelant of 100-200 RP on top of your RP earning for that math; That's if you sell them both.

Maybe if you win you get a higher chance to get an uncommon, rare, ultra rare or legendary. Mythics still will have to be through the gold packs though. Shoot they could even create a new boost cards where it states you have a higher chance of getting rare/ultra rare/legendary when winning a match. Of course it's not guarenteed, but still a higher chance right? :p AM I EVIL?

THOUGHTS?! COMMENTS?! CONCERNS?! COMPLIMENTS? HIGH FIVES?

Come on Stinkles, what do you think? ;) Maybe this will swade quitters to stop!
a little...

Of course though..

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

I suggested that before. Idea stealerer!

Slight chance increase on win is cool though. Or maybe even concurrent matches = better rarity chance. Played 10 games? Rares will start dropping.

Jack the Ripper doesn't want to admit that if this game played more like classic halo it would have much less users playing it.

In my anecdotal MCC experience, I saw WAY too many people voting halo 4 over the other ones. The public has moved on and 343 could have easily doubled down on casuallzing Halo.

But they didn't. The added some features the public expects. Sprint and ADS mainly. But nerfed sprint and made ADS cosmetic. The new movement options and abilities seemed to actually be well thought out and integrated into the game. They feel fluid whereas armor abilities always felt tacked on.

However the game is still punished for being TOO halo. Whatever. People are idiots.

I'll take a Halo game I enjoy that is unpopular to a shit halo game that a lot of people play.

During the holidays, the game population will go up and down cause theres a lot of new games. So people try them out. Having 100K people to me is popular. I think whats important is whether people still wanna come back to it afterwards and i have to say, i did. Even after playing F3, BO3, BF, i still want me some halo MP. That to me, is the sign of a great game. When u wanna go back.

Velcoro

I think 3 of the pro team members designed a few Breakout maps. Gambol, Altitude, and Trident. In terms of all the other maps I'm not sure.

link1201

I agree, especially with the bolded. This game is amazingly good. What it added is truly an asset to the sandbox. I am always anxious to play. I haven't felt that way in years. Nothing is perfect but I really like what we have and it's still early. I am looking forward to more tweaks and adjustments.

Caja 117

Is Funny to see how some who dont like the game blame it for Halo "small" population, it isnt about 343, at the end is the competition, Especifically CoD, isnt it weird that black ops 2 still had a 11 million monthly user just a couple of months ago, yet Halo 3 couldn't keep a decent population after Halo Reach? It isnt weird, people just need to accept that the problem isnt the games, the problem os the competition.

Every Halo have had changes, and every New Halo there is always going to be a group that will start listing why the new Halo is the worst and blah blah blah, but the correlation between population counter and quality is laughable.

People talk how low Halo 4 fell, guess the game that came out one week after: the same game that after 3 years it has a population in the millions, black ops 2.

The only mistake MS has been doing since Halo 4 has been making Halo compete directly against CoD, IMO. Halo 3 and Halo Reach were released one month before the release of that year Call of Duty, now is one week before, and I think this has a big factor in CU's

Herbs

Banned

yup to bolded. dumbed down combat has a time and a place and is present in many other games so options abound. The new mechanics are sublime and amazing.

Caja 117

Yesterday I logged in with 4 of my Halo friends of old, we used to play Halo 3 LAN every Saturday, usually a group of more than 12 people, and everyone were having a lot of fun reminding us those Halo 3 days. You ask why the group have decreased? some of them dont even have an Xbox one, others are just too busy to log in with regularity.

Also, and I hope 343 is on this, but stand off have a bad spawn point at the beggining of the game, Yesterday I started the game in the others team side.

http://xboxclips.com/zCaja/12e4c1de-f011-435b-bfa2-feeec533086d

I'm sorry but WTF with gungoose, they kill me with direct hits all the time yet when I HIT SOMEONE DIRECTLY TWICE all they get is dropped shields.

I swear I have a hidden handicap enabled in this game.

lol come on Jack, the shape of a Jackal's jaw is not anywhere near the reason why Halo 5 is "not popular" or "not selling well", and the general populace sure as hell isn't avoiding the game because of Sprint. I'm not even sure where these popularity narratives came from to begin with. Halo 5 has actually exceeded my expectations given the install base, the general state of Halo following MCC and the lack of content in the game itself. The latter is the sole reason why this game would run into any trouble. The core is arguably the strongest its been in spite of whatever small issues it may have, but there just isn't enough game around that yet - not what is typically associated with a Halo release.

Kill3r7

Is Funny to see how some who dont like the game blame it for Halo "small" population, it isnt about 343, at the end is the competition, Especifically CoD, isnt it weird that black ops 2 still had a 11 million monthly user just a couple of months ago, yet Halo 3 couldn't keep a decent population after Halo Reach? It isnt weird, people just need to accept that the problem isnt the games, the problem os the competition.

Every Halo have had changes, and every New Halo there is always going to be a group that will start listing why the new Halo is the worst and blah blah blah, but the correlation between population counter and quality is laughable.

People talk how low Halo 4 fell, guess the game that came out one week after: the same game that after 3 years it has a population in the millions, black ops 2.

The only mistake MS has been doing since Halo 4 has been making Halo compete directly against CoD, IMO. Halo 3 and Halo Reach were released one month before the release of that year Call of Duty, now is one week before, and I think this has a big factor in CU's

Halo 3 had little to no competition. MW came out of nowhere and COD became the FPS game of choice for the masses. By the time Reach and Halo 4 came out, COD was the top dog and was selling on a completely different level than Halo. Nonetheless Halo held its own on the 360. The FPS genre on consoles has lots of games but only 2 to 3 of them actually had a huge following (COD, Halo, BF and maybe Killzone 2) up until now. However Destiny, Titanfall and Battlefront are going to grab a piece of the pie. Especially Destiny which seems to be a natural evolution of the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom