• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Armour lock you stay in the same spot for a max of a few seconds. The amount of times some scrub runs up to me and sends me flying backwards with his god lunge while my melee dose'nt count and is allowed to shoot before me is pretty staggering.
Ive had no problems pulling off reversals on people who do that, not saying it's perfect, but its still better than an ability that actually stops flow; Something you are NEVER supposed to do in a MP FPS game. 343s update made it better but AL is something devs should look back to see what not to do for a MP game.

BraXzy

Yeah, and I love Sparth, I'm going to start collecting his books once I get my hands on Halo 5's artbook. We just need some more Nornfang and Oathsworn type skins instead of colour X with a colour Y stripe along the guns contours. And I do really like the look of the December skins, now those don't look like no commons!

I follow his Tumblr and stuff, picked up the Halo 4 art book way back when, still need the Halo 5 one.

I miss the near endless features of Reach (Custom Firefight, co-op Campaign matchmaking, etc.), but not the actual gameplay.

This game with all the features of old will make it GOAT.

Armour lock you stay in the same spot for a max of a few seconds. The amount of times some scrub runs up to me and sends me flying backwards with his god lunge while my melee dose'nt count and is allowed to shoot before me is pretty staggering.

Git gud.

I suck and I can still evade most SC attempts.

I follow his Tumblr and stuff, picked up the Halo 4 art book way back when, still need the Halo 5 one.

This game with all the features of old will make it GOAT.

H5 artbook has great art, but could use more captions.

Glass

Ha I follow it too, some great stuff on there. 5' artbook release here in the UK has been kind of wonky, think it's finally out now though.

Ive had no problems pulling off reversals on people who do that, not saying it's perfect, but its still better than an ability that actually stops flow; Something you are NEVER supposed to do in a MP FPS game. 343s update made it better but AL is something devs should look back to see what not to do for a MP game.

People wildly overstate the negative impact of both Armor Lock and Spartan Charge.

Both are easy to counter and incredibly punishable.

The only issue I had with any of the AAs in Reach was that they should have been tied to specific armor sets. In Team Fortress or even the Overwatch Beta, it takes a nanosecond to identify the silhouette of an opponent, know what abilities they have, and adjust by tactics on the fly.

In Reach any guy could be sporting any AA, and they could switch between respawns. So there was no anticipation, only reaction. If you're going to add a class-based element in your gameplay. you need to make the classes clearly distinguishable on sight, and no, a little light on the small of their back doesn't count.

AAs didn't hurt the game nearly as much as people like to make out, but they were far from perfectly implemented.

BraXzy

H5 artbook has great art, but could use more captions.

That's a shame. There's no such thing as a design book, so I love when there's a tonne of design insight captioning all of the art.

Ha I follow it too, some great stuff on there. 5' artbook release here in the UK has been kind of wonky, think it's finally out now though.

It came out a bit ago, I was keeping an eye on it. But it seems like Amazon is the only place with it, weird.

Edit: Found a copy on Wordery for £19, might grab it.

I hope they open up some community submissions. With the exception of the sexy black and gold skins coming up, all the skins look way too similar, all block colours and stripes.

There's no design hierarchy - the legendary weapon skins dont look any cooler or better then the commons. It's no coincidence the AWP Hyper Beast looks sexier then the more common stuff in CSGO. Pistol skins in 5 make the guns look like a plastic nerf toy. There's so much that can be done when you consider it's the soldiers themselves who are meant to be customising these weapons, yet they all look like they took the same art class.

Again: the reason the weapon skin hierarchy is the way it is in H5 is because Sparth forced the team to have some restraint and quality control with the skins so as to actually keep things identifiable even in situations like Warzone, where there are potentially 100+ weapon designs at play. H5G made some massive improvements in regards to weapon identification compared to H4, and the changes - while generally innocuous - go an impressively long way in terms of keeping everything discernible at pretty much any distance.

This can be seen from the weapons themselves, to the actual projectiles they spew: a common complaint, even here on GAF, in H4 was that the Shotgun's profile sort of devolved into a generic dark blobby "rifle" shape at every distance outside of CQC, meaning most people mistook it for a DMR up until they were actually in Shotgun range. I actually had a moment once in H5G where I mistook the Shotgun for the DMR yet again, but there's one huge difference: the Shotgun's always projecting a flashlight. It's literally shooting out a warning signal at all times now, which is way more fitting. Even the Light Rifle and Binary Rifle, which were generally considered to be too close (mainly due to both being designs for a single "Binary Rifle" concept early in-dev), received minor changes. The Binary Rifle is obviously way longer than the Light Rifle, but the major difference this time boils down to how the Spartans wield them; the Light Rifle is made out to feel bulkier and the top of its profile slopes downward, like this:

320px-Triangle.Scalene.svg.png

While the Binary Rifle, despite being massive, was thinned out a bit and feels more like you're holding a huge satellite antennae of doom or something, with the top of its profile being mostly flat, and the gun's weight sloping downward towards the wielder, like this:

GTa0bku.png

It's a subtle change, for sure, but it helps the Light Rifle feel more like a terrifying Forerunner weapon you just ripped off of an AT-ST, whereas the distribution of weight on the Binary Rifle makes way more sense and the absurdity of lugging around a death beam longer than you are tall is still equally absurd, but in more of an awesome way than an awkward-looking "Spartans are tripping over themselves just trying to hold this thing up" pose the way they held it in 4.

An important rule of thumb I've been using - not that it's the be-all-end-all, mind you - is that the higher-tier loadout weapons generally have a higher level of detail to their designs. It even works using your examples:

REQ_Card_-_Bracer.png

e8605553-44b2-4c24-8ae1-e170db07f839

That rare SMG skin's "decals" more or less boil down to four parts: that inner circle, its "ripples" orbiting closer to the magazine, and then the two sets of repeating lines across the gun's surface. The legendary Pistol skin, on the other hand, teeters between convolution and complexity while still being cleanly identifiable as a Pistol, despite not being able to have its different design elements broken down as easily.

It's subtle, for sure, but another important note regarding weapon hierarchy is that they tend to try and use color arrangements to illustrate weapon rarity the same way it works in nature. Take this old Plasma Caster concept lifted from the Sprint, for example:

tumblr_nq4b7vfBXX1qmgfhzo6_1280.png

Particularly in the three-tier setup on the right, the colors become much more vivid, vibrant and much more dominant on the gun casings as they become more powerful. It's just like how more venomous animals are decked out in a number of fancy colors, while hardier species lower on the food chain use more "natural" colors that serve them better as modes of evasion, particularly camouflage.

For a more subdued example, note the relatively simple sandy grey coloration of the default Railgun:

and the Whiplash, while insanely good in actual combat, is only an Uncommon-rarity gun and thus just has a few additional trimmings of bright complementary colors:

The system operates on some fairly straightforward principles that get muddied by pure virtue of how many skins exist, but they're still stuck to well enough that you know that seeing an enemy holding something like this:

cfriveroflightreq-6da7689c882d457f80df7a8ce180c62b.jpg

on the battlefield is a very, very clear sign that you need to be getting the fuck out of that encounter.

BraXzy

Again: the reason the weapon skin hierarchy is the way it is in H5 is because Sparth forced the team to have some restraint and quality control with the skins so as to actually keep things identifiable even in situations like Warzone, where there are potentially 100+ weapon designs at play.

You can maintain the identity of a weapon without creating ugly, dull skins.

REQ_Card_-_Bracer.png

I don't get how this is restrained, there's a bunch of colours and shapes mish-mashed together, the only thing identifiable is the weapons model.

Weapons in this game do have great silhouettes, and warzone weapon skins do indeed do a great job of quickly indicating a weapons tier, but the arena loadout skins don't have the same kind of tiering. We aren't complaining about the Warzone stuff.

You can maintain the identity of a weapon without creating ugly, dull skins.

REQ_Card_-_Bracer.png

I don't get how this is restrained, there's a bunch of colours and shapes mish-mashed together, the only thing identifiable is the weapons model.

Weapons in this game do have great silhouettes, and warzone skin tiers do indeed do a great job of quickly indicating a weapons tier, but the arena loadout skins don't have the same kind of tiering. We aren't complaining about the Warzone stuff.

Arena's loadout skins are a more understandable complaint, and while I could leverage those concerns to some degree (having designs get too busy on a handful of similar boxy rifle-shaped weapons becomes problematic), I think those can be chalked up to "we're one month into release and they can't just have players being totally content with day-one skins when they'll be adding more into the system for free for months on end" more reasonably.

BraXzy

Arena's loadout skins are a more understandable complaint, and while I could leverage those concerns to some degree (having designs get too busy on a handful of similar body rifle-shaped weapons becomes problematic), I think those can be chalked up to "we're one month into release and they can't just have players being totally content with day-one skins when they'll be adding more into the system for free for months on end" more reasonably.

Yeah don't worry, I think the Warzone stuff is fantastically well done. The design language for tiers is perfect. The second you see a Whiplash, you know it isn't a default Rail Gun. All of that stuff is great.

I just think Arena loadout skins leave a lot to be desired, and like Glass said, the higher tier stuff doesn't look any more epic than the uncommon skins. I personally like the legendary skins the least.

Yeah, what the actual hell. AL is bad game design 101 shit lol

In the first weekly update they described it, it already sounded like a bad idea they kept trying to save just by how complicated it was. Like they loved the idea, but instead of giving up on it after it didn't really work, they glommed on all sorts of random features like knockback to make it seem less terrible.

Unfortunately for them, having a one-way pause button in the middle of a goddamn FPS will always be a terrible idea.

Dynasty8

Just played 9 BTB games in order to get qualified. Literally every single game had at least one or more people quit.

I used to be against having bots in Halo games, but this seems like the only legit solution now for solo players.

Glass

Thanks for your analysis, I can't add much because you've touched on a bunch of stuff that rings true
and its 4am fak
- I remember playing through 4's campaign, going to pick up what I thought was a Lightrifle and would be pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be the more powerful Binary.
And Warzone definitely has some sexy hierarchy. The UNSC weapons all follow the same progression as the Rail Gun, with the final Saw, rockets, Hydra, shotgun etc getting that coat of white paint at the rarest quality. The Promethean weapons also have their own distinct paint style to them which the new Light Rifles continue.
My sticking point is definitely more on the arena side of things, but December's skins look like they'll placate me!

Just played 9 BTB games in order to get qualified. Literally every single game had at least one or more people quit.

I used to be against having bots in Halo games, but this seems like the only legit solution now for solo players.

There are other solutions.

Give the option for people to hide their personal stats, so they don't feel the need to protect them.

Give people that quite an immediate stat and rank reset across all games.

Revoke all REQ items from those who quit x number of games, etc

There are more than enough ways to curb quitting.

BraXzy

Give the option for people to hide their personal stats, so they don't feel the need to protect them.

Is that a serious suggestion?

Oh snap my connection dropped, sorry guys in my match. Oh, my past 70 hours of gameplay no longer count. GG.

Theyll probably reset them all in janurary. Then only select playlists after that.
Theyve done it before. Dont see why not this time around.

Cant wait to hear more about the december forge update. Hope its xmas and new years type of presents hehe if u knooww what i meaan ;);)

Edit: wtf am i reading? Lol

Is that a serious suggestion?

Oh snap my connection dropped, sorry guys in my match. Oh, my past 70 hours of gameplay no longer count. GG.

Obviously there'd be a number of times you have to quit before that happened, just as the current bans work.

And I didn't mean just within Halo 5. I meant, your entire Halo history is wiped from the internet. Much more than 70 hours worth for most people.

Critic

Banned

K/D stats doesn't belong to halo imo. they should get rid of it.

Its been there since 2. Huh? They always displayed your kills and deaths...

Could you?

I definitely remember being able to look up K/D stats for people on Bungie.net, but in game I felt like the only stat you could access quickly for people online was ranking.

But it was over 10 years ago, so maybe I just forgot...

Monocle

Again: the reason the weapon skin hierarchy is the way it is in H5 is because Sparth forced the team to have some restraint and quality control with the skins so as to actually keep things identifiable even in situations like Warzone, where there are potentially 100+ weapon designs at play. H5G made some massive improvements in regards to weapon identification compared to H4, and the changes - while generally innocuous - go an impressively long way in terms of keeping everything discernible at pretty much any distance.

<snip>
I enjoyed this breakdown.

One of Halo 5's most underrated qualities is its greatly improved readability compared to Halo 4. This is apparent in every area you might hope for, from weapon silhouettes and firing effects, to alien enemies' damaged states, to just about every animation in the game. It's clear that 343 recognized how visually muddled Halo 4 is next to Bungie's Halos and then made a concerted effort to bring Halo 5's visual design up to par.

I'm not sure if most players appreciate the impact of these improvements, but I do, and I think they're a significant indication that 343 processed player feedback from Halo 4 and the Halo 5 beta, evaluated their own work with a critical eye, and actually went to the trouble of implementing major changes to make a better Halo. I was ready to write off the Halo series after Halo 4, but with this game 343 won me over.

I enjoyed this breakdown.

One of Halo 5's most underrated qualities is its greatly improved readability compared to Halo 4. This is apparent in every area you might hope for, from weapon silhouettes and firing effects, to alien enemies' damaged states, to just about every animation in the game. It's clear that 343 recognized how visually muddled Halo 4 is next to Bungie's Halos and then made a concerted effort to bring Halo 5's visual design up to par.

I'm not sure if most players appreciate the impact of these improvements, but I do, and I think they're a significant indication that 343 processed player feedback from Halo 4 and the Halo 5 beta, evaluated their own work with a critical eye, and actually went to the trouble of implementing major changes to make a better Halo. I was ready to write off the Halo series after Halo 4, but with this game 343 won me over.

I think a lot of the changes are hard to discern immediately coming off of Halo 4, but in terms of properly executing on evolutionary iterations to the game 3 -> 5 (or even Reach -> 5) is a pretty comparable jump to CE -> 3.
except good

JackHerer

After my frustration with BTB I decided to go back to some 4v4. Somehow finished my solo grind from platinum to onyx. I know the ranks mean nothing in this game but it still feels good.

Got FFA and Team Arena now just want to get slayer. Diamond 6 currently.

Strider

It's moments like this that make me kinda hope the inevitable social arena playlists have friendly fire off. That teammate ended up killing me with the one round in that RL :/ I then booted him from the game.

Between that, my use of the AR and all the missed shots by the enemies in this next clip you'd swear that this was a bronze match but regardless this double kill felt good

Anyway this one arena match was basically everything that could happen in Halo summed up in 10 minutes. I'm good for the rest of the night and gonna call it after one match.

Madness

Nah

It's pretty damn easy to counter

How is it 'easy' to counter? It mostly works when you catch people unaware. I mean obviously if you're seeing someone sprinting and not shooting, you know they'll try and charge so you thrust aside. But most spartan charge kills are usually when you're in a firefight with someone and some random just spawns and sprints into the combat. I'd say it's very noob friendly. Is it an offensive addition? Not necessarily. But I'm not a fan of it, it's basically a 5 meter melee/offensive action for people who love to sprint into the action, and who would usually die in past games. It's tempered by the fact it only strips shields from the front, but if you're already in a firefight, it's basically a kill. I'm not saying remove it though and I'd definitely never say it's like armor lock, lol. Spartan Charge is one of the least of my worries about Halo 5.

I feel there's very little difference between Spartan charge and a sprint melee

With Spartan Charges, I can be caught around a corner by some random player who rushed into my radar faster than I could react (but that's another problem entirely). I get thrown back, and they can pretty much gun me down with anything, because it does way more damage than a regular melee attack.

I hate them. I hate them and I think they're a crutch mechanic.

Halo mp is like Dark Souls. It's so difficult and unforgiving, yet makes you feel like a champ when you overcome the challenges and come out on top. I'm a new Halo player who started on MCC and this game is a breath of fresh air compared to other shooters.

I just solo'd my way up to platinum 6 in Slayer. I CAN TASTE THE DIAMOND

Good games GAF BTB-Group. My Microphone wasn't working on my Headset for some reason, which is why I dropped out of the party. Not sure why it refuses to work.

mo60

Halo mp is like Dark Souls. It's so difficult and unforgiving, yet makes you feel like a champ when you overcome the challenges and come out on top. I'm a new Halo player who started on MCC and this game is a breath of fresh air compared to other shooters.

I just solo'd my way up to platinum 6 in Slayer. I CAN TASTE THE DIAMOND

I'm trying to work my way out of the bronze rank right now in slayer. The highest I got to was near the end of bronze 2 and then I started losing games and I dropped back to bronze one.I so badly want to get out of the bronze rank right now, but I just don't have a lot of time now to play this game constantly. My first halo game was halo 4, but I did play a bit of reach and 3 like two years ago. It actually feels really satisfying getting a kill in this game compared to halo 4.I suck at warzone and I'm okay/crap at objectives in halo 5. I'm scared of trying BTB because I'm afraid I will struggle like I struggled in warzone and also because I always seem to do better in the smaller maps in halo 4.

Second Night in a row now.

Screenshot-Original.png

Why can't I find ANYONE after queuing for 20 minutes? Is the population that low that there aren't enough Onyx/Diamond players to match me against in BTB?

Xbox has been hard reset, game quit, network reset, etc. Still no games unless I queue with one more and get matched against Platinum and Gold?

el_Nikolinho

Neo Member
Second Night in a row now.

Screenshot-Original.png

Why can't I find ANYONE after queuing for 20 minutes? Is the population that low that there aren't enough Onyx/Diamond players to match me against in BTB?

Xbox has been hard reset, game quit, network reset, etc. Still no games unless I queue with one more and get matched against Platinum and Gold?

I've got the same thing in team arena. Can not find a game (I'm ranked diamond 6 and I'm in australia, so that probably affects it)

every other playlist finds a game within 30 seconds

I've got the same thing in team arena. Can not find a game (I'm ranked diamond 6 and I'm in australia, so that probably affects it)

every other playlist finds a game within 30 seconds

I'm in the USA. :( Warzone and other playlists give me near instant results... can't believe a Triple AAA game, a game belonging to a such a massive franchise like Halo has problems like this. :(

If it was a game like Splatoon, or something, I'd be accepting of small populations... but the game that used to have the most popular online multiplayer from 2007-2009, and used to sell 3+ million copies in a day?

:(

el_Nikolinho

Neo Member
They just need to increase the range of ranks it searches for people after a while (which I'm guessing they already do, but maybe make it an even wider range). I know it would suck for lower ranks but I just want a game man.

I'd be super surprised if the reason is that there isn't enough people playing, especially in team arena, barely a month after release.

I kept getting weird errors last night, even threw me into the dashboard one time disconnecting from the game. Also, items not showing up in my inventory. Never had these kind of issues pre-patch.... Wtf is going on?

I'm in the USA. :( Warzone and other playlists give me near instant results... can't believe a Triple AAA game, a game belonging to a such a massive franchise like Halo has problems like this. :(

If it was a game like Splatoon, or something, I'd be accepting of small populations... but the game that used to have the most popular online multiplayer from 2007-2009, and used to sell 3+ million copies in a day?

:(

To be fair, the Halo name was dragged through the mud by Halo 4 and MCC. So it's hardly shocking if the masses aren't jumping on board with the same enthusiasm anymore.

And truthfully, mourning the fact that Halo used to be popular and isn't anymore is like mourning the fact that Quake used to be popular and isn't any more.

Franchises don't stay big forever.

As far as BTB, I think it should be a social playlist. It's tough to get 8 people together, and people don't want to play with randoms when their forward-facing ranking is affected by full team performance and/or quitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom