• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

pieface

I have to say, since the introduction of BTB I haven't played anything else. I can't see myself ever going into Warzone again. It's such a shame 343 misplaced their focus on Warzone instead of BTB. Though, guess they need that Req money!

I have to say, since the introduction of BTB I haven't played anything else. I can't see myself ever going into Warzone again. It's such a shame 343 misplaced their focus on Warzone instead of BTB. Though, guess they need that Req money!

i really like having both.

i like that i have a casual mode where i can get in a tank when i want and blow stuff up.
i like that after that i can keep the large player number experience but make it more competitive
and i like that after that i can get super competitive with arena.

BraXzy

I'm constantly running out of boosts for Arena.. I feel like there should be singular Req card drops at the end of every match on top of your Req points or something. Whether it be a boost or an uncommon weapon etc. Not perm unlocks, just single use cards. Plus it'd make people go ooh one more game, I just had a rare boost drop.

I'm constantly running out of boosts for Arena.. I feel like there should be singular Req card drops at the end of every match on top of your Req points or something. Whether it be a boost or an uncommon weapon etc. Not perm unlocks, just single use cards. Plus it'd make people go ooh one more game, I just had a rare boost drop.

game needs daily missions with req rewards. could help cut down on quitters too

Akai__

If you're getting killed by SC regularly, I think it might be time to accept it's you, and not the game.

That feel when somebody SC'es into nowhere, because you Thrusted away.
Allthough it feels like I have to do it several seconds in advance, because of the delay I'm getting.

game needs daily missions with req rewards. could help cut down on quitters too

Or XP/RP Jackpots similiar to how Reach had Cr jackpots, when people didn't quit.

RSB

Banned
doesn't take a giant magnifying glass to see why Halo 5 may not be very popular.

-It's lacking content. The last 4 Halo titles have had a mix of PvE and PvP content on top of a variety of gametypes and custom options and Forge - all absent in Halo 5 currently.
-It's lacking incentive to replay the content that is there (like how there are REQs in Campaign but Campaign doesn't impact the REQ system whatsoever).
-The content that is there is experiencing its own share of problems and geared towards a specific portion of the community that is able to overlook them (i.e. hardcore players).

When those things are addressed, it ought to have a healthy playerbase. Currently however, you can't really blame anyone for leaving the game, whatever reason it may be.
Yep, Reach is nowhere near as enjoyable to play as Halo 5 (IMO) but I can't deny it was much better at offering something for every kind of player (same with Destiny) Firefight, Social Playlists, Daily and Weekly Challenges, Campaign Scoring, Forge, Campaign Theatre... so many things they could (should) add. Right now, Halo 5 is seriously lacking in content and variety.

Either or both of these would work too. I don't get why they don't keep features like that that are well received and work well in past games.

i dont think it goes against their business model too. if they really are adding 40+ reqs a month, a very small subset of the community is going to unlock EVERYTHING really fast. i think even in regards to the level cap, going from like 140 to 141 takes as long as it takes to get from like 1 to 100.

so giving people slightly more req points or xp for completing challenges just keeps pushing people to the req system. the more people that use reqs the better right? driving users towards reqs should, and i think history shows with games with a similar system, drive more req purchases.

hell i want them to go all out. give us the option to buy the hcs gear in a pack and have that give the majority to the prize pool. give us a free holiday pack with christmas skins. be dumb with it. arena is balanced already, warzone is all about silly fun anyway

Ramirez

How is a game with 100K concurrent users not popular?? lol

I read on here BFront is at 130K on Xbox, I'm not sure what kind of numbers some of you are expecting Halo to pull these days.

Kill3r7

the sandbox they have in place is the best halo's ever been, IMO.

i really think the life of this game is gonna depend not only on the amount of content pushed out, but the speed at which it is.

people arent waiting until February for features like "seeing my medals" and "any other gametype besides the bare minimum"

Agreed. 343i will need to release new content at a steady pace and non stop until the summer. Thankfully so far that seems to be their plan.

should have clarified - it may not be popular with the mainstream audience for those reasons.

I don't think it has much to do with the game being "hard" so much as it is lacking the things every other game is offering.

Well, obviously it's only successfull when it has a peak population of 1 Million players, like Halo 3 had, when no competition was arround.

yea we're never getting halo 3 numbers again.

Yep, Reach is nowhere near as enjoyable to play as Halo 5 (IMO) but I can't deny it was much better at offering something for every kind of player (same with Destiny) Firefight, Social Playlists, Daily and Weekly Challenges, Campaign Scoring, Forge, Campaign Theatre... so many things they could (should) add. Right now, Halo 5 is seriously lacking in content and variety.

That why Reach is and probably will always be my most played Halo, there was just so much to do. Go to the campaign to do dailies/weekly/monthly; after that there were so many different types of game modes, Invasion and Headhunter for example. Once I got tired of pvp, there was always Firefight to do. There was always something to do in that game to keep it enjoyable. People can hate on Reach all they want, but it was just so enjoyable for me. I wish 343i would just take all the content and put it in H5.

Akai__

I read on here BFront is at 130K on Xbox, I'm not sure what kind of numbers some of you are expecting Halo to pull these days.

Well, obviously it's only successfull when it has a peak population of 1 Million players, like Halo 3 had, when no competition was arround.

Lack of Firefight and Infection is most likely a big reason for people not sticking around with halo, not enough competitive players out there to make up the missing numbers.

The REQ system could work well with Firefight PvE stuff, think how amazing it could be to call in a scorpion to go against dozens of flood or elite enemies that spawn inside the different building structures on warzone maps.

Lack of Firefight and Infection is most likely a big reason for people not sticking around with halo, not enough competitive players out there to make up the missing numbers.

The REQ system could work well with Firefight PvE stuff, think how amazing it could be to call in a scorpion to go against dozens of flood or elite enemies that spawn inside the different building structures on warzone maps.

its almost amazing to me this ISNT in the game.

its another mode for people to use their reqs in game. more req usage should equal more req pack purchases too. seems like a no brainer.

I think i figured out why, because theyre doing these monthly content packs. They probably kept some things out to include them in the monthly packs. Theyre supposed to do this every month.

should have clarified - it may not be popular with the mainstream audience for those reasons.

I don't think it has much to do with the game being "hard" so much as it is lacking the things every other game is offering.

If Battlefront can sustain ~100K there's very little correlation between the amount and variety of content and popularity. I think it has more to do with offering experiences that are enjoyable to a wide audience.

Beat Legendary last night. Came to like Osiris a bit more, but it's clear from the concept art that Halo 5 originally started life as a solo Master Chief adventure.

However, the hub world aspects of the campaign, with missions being set on different planets could yield some VERY interesting experiences in the future. Couple that with the fact that we've got Blue Team and Osiris on deck together, I could see some sort of pick-your-squad deal going forward.

Overall, I like the plot and where things are headed. Lore wise, it's somewhat plausible. But the narrative was weak, character development was not as strong as in Halo 4, and I suspect it's not that way just because. *Shrug*

Now for skulls, intel, and those mission specific achievements.

bring back classic art, gameplay, map design, no sprint, and actually make it all well and it will do better imo

not sure why "halo of today" can't do better or why we settle for saying what we expect. I expect it to push 300k plus , especially near lanch

Computer

Halo needs some P v E to keep people playing. Look at what it has done for Destiny. I would give anything for 6 player Halo strikes with loot drops and scarab boss battles.

bring back classic art, gameplay, map design, no sprint, and actually make it all well and it will do better imo

not sure why "halo of today" can't do better or why we settle for saying what we expect. I expect it to push 300k plus , especially near lanch

Sprint isnt going anywhere, if anything, they take that out and i would totally quit playing. People really need to get over the spartans dont run bullshit. Its 2015, the game has evolved its time to accept change.

E92 M3

Gameplay and sound design is solid as fuck in Halo 5, but the art direction and design philosophy for the MP maps just horrible. Everything is vanilla and UNSC. I'd like to see more nature and exciting sky boxes. That's actually a bit more important to me than the map playing well.

Ramirez

Oh come off it already, this game plays just as good or better than any previous Halo.

maximrace

Where is that 100k number coming from? Doesn't seem official to me. You can always look at the most played section in the store to look how popular a game is. Halo 5 is 9th atm, really sad it should be way higher

Gameplay and sound design is solid as fuck in Halo 5, but the art direction and design philosophy for the MP maps just horrible. Everything is vanilla and UNSC. I'd like to see more nature and exciting sky boxes. That's actually a bit more important to me than the map playing well.

Well i think these maps are proof that the maps looking and feeling like halo is just as important as them playing well. Man, i never thought id say this but the fucking forge maps in BTB feel more like halo than 343s maps. Its embarrassing.

Fuchsdh

If the market is really asking for Halo 1 or 2 again, then it begs the question of why there's no popular game that's like Halo 1 or 2.

pieface

Completely disagree. Remove things like sprint and people will get frustrated not being able to sprint. It will drive the casual user base away. From what I can tell, most people who are still "into" Halo think Halo 5 is a really good game. The fact is, after Reach and Halo 4 a LOT of people lost interest. With so many other decent games out at the minute (Fallout, BLOPS, Battlefront etc) removing sprint etc isn't going to bring those people back.

I can remember trying to use the DMR in Reach, and then saying fuck it out of frustration (bloom, WTF was that?) and never playing the game again. It was things like that which put people off Halo, not sprint imo.

Trup1aya

I really don't think its cut and dry. I'm not sure why you think making Halo3.5 would instantly restore the franchise to its former glory. The market has changed, people are expecting different things out of there shooters.

If you make a good game with content people want to keep coming back to, the game will do well. I don't think Blops3 fans are skipping Halo5 because halo 5 has sprint or art that differs from Bungie's work. Many people in 343i's target demographic have never even played Halo before, and grew up on COD.

Sprint isnt going anywhere, if anything, they take that out and i would totally quit playing. People really need to get over the spartans dont run bullshit. Its 2015, the game has evolved its time to accept change.

Dude, it's Jack the Nipper, he can't go two pages without talking about taking sprint out.

LOL "All we need to do is what we've already done in the past and it should work, right?"

You're living in a bubble of naivete. Halo no longer exists unchallenged in the FPS market, and that's not going to change.

Completely disagree. Remove things like sprint and people will get frustrated not being able to sprint. It will drive the casual user base away. From what I can tell, most people who are still "into" Halo think Halo 5 is a really good game. The fact is, after Reach and Halo 4 a LOT of people lost interest. With so many other decent games out at the minute (Fallout, BLOPS, Battlefront etc) removing sprint etc isn't going to bring those people back.

Im a long time halo guy, ive played over 4000 games of 2 online and as soon as i replayed it in MCC, i kept trying to sprint. Even with 4000 online games of old school halo2 couldn't change that reflex. It just too slow without it and honestly, i really dont think it changed the core gameplay all that much. 5 to me plays and feels like halo even with it. Especially BTB. I honestly cant comprehend why anyone would wanna go back to not having it. It just feels like their holding on to a dream.

Dude, it's Jack the Nipper, he can't go two pages without talking about taking sprint out.

lol its insane

Strider

Imagine playing warzone without sprint lol

But yea "classic" gameplay isn't going to make the game return to H3 numbers. Halo will never see those numbers again.

I'm not really concerned with H5 population tho. It's going to get updated constantly and the core gameplay is very good. It will maintain a healthy population for a long time for these 2 reasons alone...

sprint is fine and implemented fine.

people REALLY need to let it go

jet1911

Heh. Looking at the NPD thread there was a lot of people who expected the game to do Halo 3 numbers.

oh god, the 2015 all games have to have sprint excuse, man that's just sad.... honestly

So sick of this "sprint' and modern shit. It JUST doesn't have to be in a game to be worth playing. So sick of this poor excuse.

just add sprint to evolve your game devs, there you go

Keep sprint in 343, keep these sales as well.

I will admit making the change now is probably too late, no matter what halo 6 is reach - 4 to 5 has probably already did it's damage. I have faith if halo looke, felt and played right it would do much better than 4 an 5 though. Not halo 3 numbers, but much better than 4 an 5.

But i honestly don't think 343 has the people that can actually do it.

Oh come off it already, this game plays just as good or better than any previous Halo.

but it doesn't, when you have worse maps when you have super strange vehicle physics, when you have dashing, super lock ground punches and all this stuff.. no. I'm sorry... it just doesn't play as well. It has too much going on, it is just not the game fans liked. you like it, others like it. that is fine, that is fair, but the fans of the games have voiced and showed with their wallet and play time, pretty point blank.

oh god, the 2015 all games have to have sprint excuse, man that's just sad.... honestly

So sick of this "sprint' and modern shit. It JUST doesn't have to be in a game to be worth playing. So sick of this poor excuse.

The majority of fans think this game is the best halo MP yet. So like it or not, youre going to have to deal with it or you can move onto another game. Plain and simple.

yup. all of halo 5's problems are cause of sprint.

every single one comes back to sprint.

let it go man

Akai__

Forge and the Gametype settings will take care of the people who don't like Sprint and the other abilities. I believe you will see plenty of classic remakes. There's always a thread with 100+ classic remade maps.

The majority of fans think this game is the best halo MP yet. So like it or not, youre going to have to deal with it or you can move onto another game. Plain and simple.

that shows in having 1/10th the player base, yep

1/10th of the halo fanbase fells this is the best playing halo ever.

You should re word your sentence into 1/10th of the halo base that likes halo 5 fels its the best playing yet.

man, im sorry. I know im in a bad mood today but this game isn't halo. Just need to go out, just hate that halo has turned into this bickering piece of a subject.

343i should also give 2 random req cards at the end of every match completed.
It'll almost be the equivelant of 100-200 RP on top of your RP earning for that math; That's if you sell them both.

Maybe if you win you get a higher chance to get an uncommon, rare, ultra rare or legendary. Mythics still will have to be through the gold packs though. Shoot they could even create a new boost cards where it states you have a higher chance of getting rare/ultra rare/legendary when winning a match. Of course it's not guarenteed, but still a higher chance right? :p AM I EVIL?

THOUGHTS?! COMMENTS?! CONCERNS?! COMPLIMENTS? HIGH FIVES?

Come on Stinkles, what do you think? ;) Maybe this will swade quitters to stop!
a little...

Of course though..

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom