• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not hardcore Halo fans that are the "problem" btw, it's casual shooter fans that have migrated to CoD, Battlefield, and so on. You're not going to win them back by recreating 8 years old gameplay.

This. I think 343i has done a great job at adding modern tweaks to the classic Halo formula while retaining the most important aspects of it. Guns, grenade, melee and map control are the four things that I think are the most important pillars for the MP gameplay.

The Gungoose is fine. Bungie needs to take a page out of 343's book for a change. The Mongoose is so easy to kill but it finally has formidable firepower.

Bungie nerfed the vehicles in Destiny after the beta and now they're completely useless in PvP.

link1201

Also why do mongoose drivers get double hp while a warthog gunner has no bonus???
Really? Is this true on regular arena matches? If so that's a shame, I wish the vehicle that takes two players to operate was the strongest. The gunner being so weak makes having a warthog less than desirable.

Archpath1

MP is the best its ever been.
With all these low kill times in other games,
it's nice to actually have a battle, trade some shots, and make some plays for once.

^gungoose is my jam

This. I think 343i has done a great job at adding modern tweaks to the classic Halo formula while retaining the most important aspects of it. Guns, grenade, melee and map control are the four things that I think are the most important pillars for the MP gameplay.

If someone thinks simply remastering Halo 2/3 gameplay in a new mainline Halo game can survive the market in 2015/2017, be my guest.

Kill3r7

The Gungoose is fine. Bungie needs to take a page out of 343's book for a change. The Mongoose is so easy to kill but it finally has formidable firepower.

Bungie nerfed the vehicles in Destiny after the beta and now they're completely useless in PvP.

IIRC there is only one map that has vehicles. Even if vehicles were not nerfed the supers would take care of the driver pretty easily.

Really? Is this true on regular arena matches? If so that's a shame, I wish the vehicle that takes two players to operate was the strongest. The gunner being so weak makes having a warthog less than desirable.

When you are on a gungoose you can seem to take a lot more direct punishment then normal, it's like the spartan shield power is jacked up even for direct hits, not vehicle hits. The gunner in a warthog can be taken out in the usual way without that feeling of having more shield, the driver has more like the gungoose I think.

It could just be stupid UK latency but I dunno, feels wrong.

As for my gungoose hits not killing I believe that's because on my screen they hit, on the server they missed or were close by explosions so the enemy never took the full whack.

IIRC there is only one map that has vehicles. Even if vehicles were not nerfed the supers would take care of the driver pretty easily.

There are 3. The vehicles were "OP" in the Beta, but that was before everyone had tracking rockets and aimbot snipers. For how exposed their drivers are, they should be OP, otherwise there's absolutely no reason to get in them. And that's exactly what happened.

Nutter

The gaming thread for digital sales is pretty is truly SMH worthy. Gamestop knowing how many digital sales have occurred, when majority don't even bother using Gamestop to purchase the games to begin with...

The only company that knows its own platform digital sales is MS and they are not talking. [its likely underperformed, but GAF is going to GAF]

Archpath1

When you are on a gungoose you can seem to take a lot more direct punishment then normal, it's like the spartan shield power is jacked up even for direct hits, not vehicle hits.

The gunner in a warthog can be taken out in the usual way without that feeling of having more shield, the driver has more like the gungoose I think.

It could just be stupid UK latency but I dunno, feels wrong.

No i agree as a frequent gooser
I feel like im taking more hits than usual

Kill3r7

There are 3. The vehicles were "OP" in the Beta, but that was before everyone had tracking rockets and aimbot snipers. For how exposed their drivers are, they should be OP, otherwise there's absolutely no reason to get in them. And that's exactly what happened.

You are right. Completely forgot about Mars - Bastion and Earth - Skyshock.

The gaming thread for digital sales is pretty is truly SMH worthy. Gamestop knowing how many digital sales have occurred, when majority don't even bother using Gamestop to purchase the games to begin with...

The only company that knows its own platform digital sales is MS and they are not talking. [its likely underperformed, but GAF is going to GAF]

There is no question that the game underperformed when compared to Halo 2-4 but that's not the point. Halo 5 is a great MP game on its own merits. All the talk about digital sales is moot. Sales have no bearing on the quality of the game.

Akai__

Not sure if I'm late to this, but there is a cool Survey from Xbox asking about how we feel about Halo and how MCC issues impacted your decision to buy Halo 5. It's tied to your E-Mail you use for your GT. You should check it out.

There are so many question and they cover nearly everything from campaign experience to Arena/Warzone experience.

link1201

Not sure if I'm late to this, but there is a cool Survey from Xbox asking about how we feel about Halo and how MCC issues impacted your decision to buy Halo 5. It's tied to your E-Mail you use for your GT. You should check it out.

There are so many question and they cover nearly everything from campaign experience to Arena/Warzone experience.
is it part if the HCFP? I don't recall getting this email.

Bread

Banned
Not a good example. If the player charged before you thrusted, the charge would have been within its hitbox, therefore knocking you back and taking 75% of your HP down. You'd be stunned while the player can immediately follow up with 3 bullets from an AR to kill you.

It doesn't break the game like jetpack, but you guys effectively saying its current iteration is perfect ought to take a closer look.
There's no way he could have spartan charged me if he had tried before I thrusted.

Caja 117

If someone thinks simply remastering Halo 2/3 gameplay in a new mainline Halo game can survive the market in 2015/2017, be my guest.

It wont, players are not going to dedicate daily hours in Halo to get good so at the end just get humiliated by veterans players, at least this Halo give them a fighting chance with all the other weapon in the sandbox. Why would anyone go to a video game to get 3 kills, die 16 times and be trolled by your own teamates on how bad you are doing, while you have other video game options than dont require that amount of skills and people dont take the game seriously.?

The sad part if Gamestop is never used here as a source for real data and is openly hated, but now they know best.

Outrun

I have to say that this is a game that will be played for years.

343i has pushed the genre forward with its MP.

The only proof that I can offer is that, when playing Battlefront, I am continually attempting to a) clamber, and b) thruster away from danger.

Arena is tight and manages to be fun, empowering, and humbling.

Well done 343i. I know that their is a shit ton of passive aggressive threads on here at the moment. However, this game is tight.

Leyasu

Banned
I have to say that this is a game that will be played for years.

343i has pushed the genre forward with its MP.

The only proof that I can offer is that, when playing Battlefront, I am continually attempting to a) clamber, and b) thruster away from danger.

Arena is tight and manages to be fun, empowering, and humbling.

Well done 343i. I know that their is a shit ton of passive aggressive threads on here at the moment. However, this game is tight.

The MP is on another level to anything that I played before. 343 did an incredible job with this game.

daedalius

bring back classic art, gameplay, map design, no sprint, and actually make it all well and it will do better imo

not sure why "halo of today" can't do better or why we settle for saying what we expect. I expect it to push 300k plus , especially near lanch

your posts are so tiring. All of them. Leave, please. Go play other games.

Fuck recurve, all i'm going to say, terrible map for slayer.

There are clean, obvious ledges YOU CAN NOT GRAB for some reason and it ruins map flow, and i'm not on about rocks, the walkway in the middle of the map near the tank has ungrabbale edges in places.

Fuck recurve, all i'm going to say, terrible map for slayer.

There are clean, obvious ledges YOU CAN NOT GRAB for some reason and it ruins map flow, and i'm not on about rocks, the walkway in the middle of the map near the tank has ungrabbale edges in places.

All maps are terrible maps for BTB slayer. Awful gametype.

blakep267

Silly question. If I buy the Warzone req bundle, will I get access to the already released packs? I'm guessing yes but just wanted to make sure

I wonder if it would ever go on sale at GS or someplace

Strider

I love Halo 5, but I can say why I got hooked on CoD to begin with years ago and I think a lot of others are the same way.

I was bad at CoD at first... But the more I played the better I got (obviously). The thing is with a game like CoD... as you improve you notice it in a big way. Your scores are higher, K/D increases, you get better and better killstreaks. As you improve the game becomes more and more fun and you want to continue getting better and better.

In Halo you don't notice your improvement through gameplay. You notice it through some ranking on your service record that other players can't even see unless they specifically go and look for it. You don't do better and better in-game because as you progress you play against better and better players and your in-game scores remain somewhat similar. Accomplishing Onyx doesn't feel as rewarding as dropping a Nuke for the first time or getting 15 kills with that AC-130.

Halo 5 MP is great. Great enough to maintain a healthy population until H6. I will play the shiiit out of this game. Hundreds of hours. I love it and I think 343 nailed it..

But it does not offer the same kind of "feel good" feedback a game like CoD or Destiny can provide. I can only imagine a lot of gamers love that the gameplay itself rewards them for improving.

I hope that 343 can find a way that doesn't effect gameplay (such as the silly stuff like ordance in H4) to reward players for continuing to play and continuing to improve. I think seasons is definitely a good idea assuming the rewards are worth trying to achieve that next tier.

I love Halo 5, but I can say why I got hooked on CoD to begin with years ago and I think a lot of others are the same way.

I was bad at CoD at first... But the more I played the better I got (obviously). The thing is with a game like CoD... as you improve you notice it in a big way. Your scores are higher, K/D increases, you get better and better killstreaks. As you improve the game becomes more and more fun and you want to continue getting better and better.

In Halo you don't notice your improvement through gameplay. You notice it through some ranking on your service record that other players can't even see unless they specifically go and look for it. You don't do better and better in-game because as you progress you play against better and better players and your in-game scores remain somewhat similar. Accomplishing Onyx doesn't feel as rewarding as dropping a Nuke for the first time or getting 15 kills with that AC-130.

Halo 5 MP is great. Great enough to maintain a healthy population until H6. I will play the shiiit out of this game. Hundreds of hours. I love it and I think 343 nailed it..

But it does not offer the same kind of "feel good" feedback a game like CoD or Destiny can provide. I can only imagine a lot of gamers love that the gameplay itself rewarings them for improving.

I hope that 343 can find a way that doesn't effect gameplay to reward players for continuing to play and continuing to improve. I think seasons is definitely a step in the right direction assuming the rewards are worth it.

That ranking is enough for me.

Silly question. If I buy the Warzone req bundle, will I get access to the already released packs? I'm guessing yes but just wanted to make sure

I wonder if it would ever go on sale at GS or someplace

Probably not ever going to go on sale. You'll get the packs, but not all at once; you get them at the same rate as everybody else.

Dynasty8

After putting in over 100 hours into Halo 5, the main complaint are the maps. Game is excellent but filled with a bunch of forge variants. The 343 designed maps are great...they look awesome...but the forge maps are just plain lazy and ugly.

I just played the Headlong "successor" Guiltoine (or whatever)...I hope I never play that again.

For the cartographers who created the BTB maps, nothing on you, you guys did amazing as far as recreating with the tools you were given. The problem I have are the boring gray and yellow textures make me feel the map feel generic as hell. It completely lacks character.

Really hoping we get some original, detailed, and aesthetically pleasing maps from 343. This might be the best gameplay we've ever had mixed with the worst map selection ever to a Halo game.

All maps are terrible maps for BTB slayer. Awful gametype.

basin and the smaller rounder map Deadlock are fine, it's recurve that is bullshit to me.

Just had a guy going around no scoping like he was playing with a mouse, I quit because fuck that there's no way a pad player can do some of the shots he was doing, double kills in a row while running and strafing, taking out people jumping onto their tank which all my team seemed to ignore taking out dispite it killing us so often, it was enough to make me want to give up playing.

Caja 117

But it does not offer the same kind of "feel good" feedback a game like CoD or Destiny can provide. I can only imagine a lot of gamers love that the gameplay itself rewarings them for improving.

I hope that 343 can find a way that doesn't effect gameplay to reward players for continuing to play and continuing to improve. I think seasons is definitely a good idea assuming the rewards are worth trying to achieve that next tier.

I will say bring back social ranks like Halo Reach or Halo 3, ranks that are ExP based ( performance/commendations) and that you basically have to play hundreds of game to reach the last rank, and maybe show when you level up in game.

SNIP

EASY - KILL STREAKS ENABLED

Call in a Kraken for all members of the team to spawn/teleport to. Wreak havok on your foes! Take Heed of their dying wish and crush their dreams with a teabag.

Call in the Arbitor to slay 5 enemies for you.

Call in the didact only to compase back, using a gravitational pull to warp any enemies nearby and insta kill them.

Call in a grunt-pocolypse. Multiple gunts run toward enemies as suicide attempts to give GLORY TO FRANKIE.

Last but not least.

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE. Mister Chief giant stomps on all spartans on the map for 20 seconds. While doing so, gives insults to make your momma feel bad for you.

There, game is fixed guys!!!! HIP HIP! HOORAY!

Strider

EASY - KILL STREAKS ENABLED

Call in a Kraken for all members of the team to spawn/teleport to. Wreak havok on your foes! Take Heed of their dying wish and crush their dreams with a teabag.

Call in the Arbitor to slay 5 enemies for you.

Call in the didact only to compase back, using a gravitational pull to warp any enemies nearby and insta kill them.

Call in a grunt-pocolypse. Multiple gunts run toward enemies as suicide attempts to give FLORY TO FRANKIE.

Last but not least.

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE. Mister Chief giant stomps on all spartans on the map for 20 seconds. While doing so, gives insults to make your momma feel bad for you.

There, game is fixed guys!!!! HIP HIP! HOORAY!

Idk if you're being sarcastic or completely overlooked the part wherre I mentioned "that doesnt effect gameplay"

I did not say it's an easy thing to fix either

I hope that 343 can find a way that doesn't effect gameplay (such as the silly stuff like ordance in H4) to reward players for continuing to play and continuing to improve. I think seasons is definitely a good idea assuming the rewards are worth trying to achieve that next tier.

I know where you're coming from, even if I'm pretty much the opposite (I prefer to see my improvement through obtaining higher ranks since that's more of an objective measure of how well I'm playing and does not rely on making me feel good through being able to destroy people that are not as good as me).

An idea would maybe be to give people temporary (for the duration of the next season) unique customisation rewards based on their highest ranked playlist at the end of each season? Everyone being at least Onyx in SWAT would obviously mess it up a bit at the moment but assuming they could smooth that out it would be pretty cool for example for Champions to be able to have flaming helmets for the duration of the following season.

Strider

I totally didnt read the whole part. I jut remember something about killstreaks :p sorry if i offended you with my uber-awesome killstreaks.

jelly? ;)

Indeed. Very jelly.

I would never want them to add killstreaks. Ordnance was disgusting in H4.

An idea would maybe be to give people temporary (for the duration of the next season) unique customisation rewards based on their highest ranked playlist at the end of each season? Everyone being at least Onyx in SWAT would obviously mess it up a bit at the moment but assuming they could smooth that out it would be pretty cool for example for Champions to be able to have flaming helmets for the duration of the following season.

Yea stuff like this would be very cool.

fuck this i'm taking a matchmaking ban because my team are all potatoes against sniper campers, why am I being paired with such low skills on my team, lack of global players maybe...

start of basin, two guys argue over who took "their" sniper rifle, one of the two betrays for it putting us one point down already... honestly the start of BTB should have all power weapons set to 30 sec instead of already spawned.

Indeed. Very jelly.

I would never want them to add killstreaks. Ordnance was disgusting in H4.

Yea stuff like this would be very cool.

Now that you made me remember. it was indeed horrible. =/..

maybe a new warzone boss where everyone has to kill mister chief giant? one toe at a time?

BraXzy

They definitely need to take a leaf out of Destiny and Hearthstones books.

Daily and Weekly challenges.
Unique cosmetic reward for rank placement each season. (Not just an emblem)
Random rewards at the end of matches.

Even when I'm not in the mood to play hearthstone I end up doing so just to make sure I don't miss out on that months reward.

They definitely need to take a leaf out of Destiny and Hearthstones books.

Daily and Weekly challenges.
Unique cosmetic reward for rank placement each season.
Random rewards at the end of matches.

Already doing that.

Agreed with the first, not sure about the third. Feel like I'd prefer multiplier to REQ points rewareded that's increased by completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom