• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the d pad to send them to focus fire or to pick a position on the map so the Warden's back will be turned to me. Those tactics worked on the prior fights, but this one is different because there are two of those bastards, knights, soldiers, and crawlers.

I'm not to the hair pulling stage, but I think I'm okay with the idea of skipping that fight until I go through it co-op. I'll look it up. Thank you!

EDIT: I'm going to give it another go.

Using the supressor helps as it homes in on their weakspots for you. Helped me down knights so easily. Even bolt shots to kill soilders faster since it homes in on headshots.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
This is probably the single most important motivation for why the sustain plan is the way it is. It would be really clever of MS to introduce free Halo 5 weekends next year BTW, once the content starts adding up I think it would get a lot of people that don't follow the updates to re-engage with the game. I also hope they are planning for the longer term than just Summer 2016, I think they should focus on keeping Halo 5 alive for the rest of the XB1 lifetime like someone else said.

None of the main points are even applicable to Halo 5.

Free weekends? Not happening
50% Sale? Not happening
In game item economy? Not happening
Tournaments viewable from in game? Not happening

If you want to think Halo 5's sustain is being lead by some kind of CSGO template, then by all means, keep smoking.

If 343 are relying on the e-sports scene to carry the game like CSGO? That's not happening. I'd hate to think anyone would be foolish enough to bank on it.

jem0208

50% Sale? Not happening

If you want to think Halo 5's sustain is being lead by some kind of CSGO template, then by all means, keep smoking.

If 343 are relying on the e-sports scene to carry the game like CSGO? That's not happening. I'd hate to think anyone would be foolish enough to bank on it.
1. Why not? The Xbox store very recently had a free weekend for NBA.

2. A 50% off sale is unlikely for a while however it could well happen at some point. The MCC is 40% off at the moment.

3. Again, why not? They could quite easily add an update to allow you to buy and sell REQ cards.

4. And again, why not? There's such a big e-sports focus with H5 and it wouldn't be a very difficult update to add. They already have a partnership with twitch for the HWC so there likely wouldn't be an issue for them to integrate the twitch stream into the game.

When backing out of a game lobby the screen goes black and loads for a second. There's like 4 seconds where the menu is active and you can select game modes but the screen is still black. Why is that?

1. Why not? The Xbox store very recently had a free weekend for NBA.

2. A 50% off sale is unlikely for a while however it could well happen at some point. The MCC is 40% off at the moment.

3. Again, why not? They could quite easily add an update to allow you to sell your REQ cards.

4. And again, why not? There's such a big e-sports focus with H5 and it wouldn't be a very difficult update to add. They already have a partnership with twitch for the HWC so there likely wouldn't be an issue for them to integrate the twitch stream into the game.

They already have spectating in game for friends, it really wouldn't be difficult to make a featured player/game viewer.

Ramirez

Unless you're in a small country as far as Xbox One population, I simply can't figure out why anyone cares about XBL placement. I played all night last night, finding games within seconds, and to read this thread, you'd think the game was dead.

BraXzy

Using the supressor helps as it homes in on their weakspots for you. Helped me down knights so easily. Even bolt shots to kill soilders faster since it homes in on headshots.

It took me awhile to realise how great the suppressor was against knights. I wrote that weapon off 10 seconds after using it :L

50% Sale? Not happening

The e-sports scene doesn't carry CSGO, the core gameplay is incredibly solid and there are constant content updates combined with free weekends and sales, that's what carries it. You don't go from a 15k to a 600k population through the e-sports scene which is just a fancy form of PR. All of those things would be possible to do with Halo 5 (well, I'd be surprised by an in game player-to-player economy, but that's not a crucial part of the equation).

Edit: I'm not saying they're trying to replicate CSGO completely, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a major inspiration for launching with less content and doing regular free content updates.

Unless you're in a small country as far as Xbox One population, I simply can't figure out why anyone cares about XBL placement. I played all night last night, finding games within seconds, and to read this thread, you'd think the game was dead.
. Seriously, coming from Titanfall on PC, Halo 5 is a population paradise.

Gnasher

Neo Member

Because console wars and halo is dad of course :)

Also never had a single issue finding a game, one of the best matchmaking experiences this gen for me, along with battlefront!

Can genuinely have a quick game before my girlfriend gets out of the shower, always important.

Well I like being part of a vibrant and growing community.

Trup1aya

50% Sale? Not happening

Huh?

MS has already used free weekends to promote several of their Xbox one titles... I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did the same for halo down the line.

Sales, probably not anytime soon, but it will go on sale. Will it coincide with tournaments, who knows...

Ingame economy, nah that won't happen.

Tournaments viewable ingame, that's already a thing, right now in Halo5. The infrastructure is already in place.

GavinGT

Banned
I haven't been keeping up at all. Any word on when the December aiming update will drop? I'd imagine the goal is before Christmas.

So many little pieces of geometry to get stuck on, for grenades to bounce off of, for Rockets to not even hurt people, etc.

343 pliss.

I don't see the problem. It was a pretty wide miss. He was moving away from the blast which was a body length and a half from him. I think there is math in there that says if your velocity is in the direction of the blast direction that there is damage falloff. Also, what was the health of guy and was he overshielded?

Tawpgun

Well I like being part of a vibrant and growing community.

Having a community actually GROW in a game is incredibly rare. Pretty much reserved for a select few PC games.

I'm with you on the vibrant part though. I think a big reason why the halo community feels lackluster to me is that 343 did launch with a limited multiplayer experience.

I'm really thankful they got the core gameplay down. It's one of the best in the series. But they messed up pretty big by having a really barebones feature set. Halo CE had more gametypes.

What's worrying, and I hope they announce something soon, is that there has been NO WORD on old (or new) gametypes coming back. NO WORD on more customs customization. NO WORD on what the filebrowser will be like or if its even coming (just a screenshot of an old build).

Infection has become a casual Halo staple and a building block for interesting custom mini games. 343 killed its functionality in Halo 4 and now they didn't bring it back. Grifball, an entire community, is essentially dead with no assault gametype. Don't even know if hammers are in the game.

VIP, Territories (maybe strongholds can be modified idk) KOTH, all these game modes had interesting functionality that let really creative people make really interesting games out of them.

Halo 3 MM was a lot of fun, but some of my most fun in Halo 2 and Halo 3 was in customs.

BraXzy

I haven't been keeping up at all. Any word on when the December aiming update will drop? I'd imagine the goal is before Christmas.

I assume it'll release along with the rest of the December content drop. We're getting more info next week so my guess is between 11-18th when it releases.

Any tips to take down Ghosts? Theyve been giving me a lot of trouble.

When I get on a Ghost people take me down easily with just guns. But I cant seem to do the same when its reversed. Is there a weak point?

Montresor

He does a phenomenal job through this series. I cant wait for you to finish and provide your thoughts. Since you beat halo 5.. Itl be even more awesome. So many questions >=D

I've loved it so far. It really fleshes out three interesting topics: 1) ONI's status as a rotten, clandestine organization (similar to the worst parts of CIA and NSA in America), and 2) The status of outer colonies as second-class citizens, and 3) The horrific nature of the original Spartan programs.

However... I'm at episode 11 or so and Ben Giraud is now in some windy mountainside area I think, and I have no idea how he got there. I must have been too preoccupied/focused on work-related tasks at the office while listening to episode 10. I'm going to restart the podcast from the comfort of my own home and really dig in.

You might find this video helpful. That channel has good strategies for cheesing or skipping all of the Warden encounters.

Excellent man, I used that video to kill the first Warden in 30 seconds. Amazing. I'm up to mission 7 now, the second Chief mission. Slowly but surely getting there! I now literally only have 4 achievements left and they're all Legendary-only achievements:

Beat Legendary Solo
Beat Legendary
Beat Mission 13 on Legendary while not losing the Scorpion (should be easy)
Beat Mission 14 on Legendary without everyone dying (should be fine - I can reload checkpoints and skip the big boss fight)

Sordid

Yup, I don't know why people are so fussed by it. If it was population issues that caused me to get put into US servers I'd be more bothered but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of UK/EU players left and it's 343's matchmaking settings that are doing it.

It's a far cry from Titanfall's population drop as someone mentioned but even then I've had nights on Titanfall where the EU servers listed a few hundred players and I got into matches just fine.

BraXzy

When I get on a Ghost people take me down easily with just guns. But I cant seem to do the same when its reversed. Is there a weak point?

My tip was going to be your second paragraph haha. I always end up getting wrecked when I go near a ghost. And people board me so easily. Yet I go near a ghost that is station ary and BAM, splattered.

Only thing I can suggest is team shoot them and don't get caught out on your own since it makes you an easy target.

That's probably because you're going in alone and being team-shot by the other side, use shoot and run tactics with the ghost and try to act as more of a support with your team-mates

Monocle

Excellent man, I used that video to kill the first Warden in 30 seconds. Amazing. I'm up to mission 7 now, the second Chief mission. Slowly but surely getting there! I now literally only have 4 achievements left and they're all Legendary-only achievements:

Beat Legendary Solo
Beat Legendary
Beat Mission 13 on Legendary while not losing the Scorpion (should be easy)
Beat Mission 14 on Legendary without everyone dying (should be fine - I can reload checkpoints and skip the big boss fight)
Nice, glad to hear it.

Too bad it's one of the fastest ways to grind for REQ points, lol.

NOKYARD

Grifball, an entire community, is essentially dead with no assault gametype. Don't even know if hammers are in the game.

Grifball is a Forge-only game type.

The Grifball community is busy playing Warzone/Arena/BTB (to build up our armor collection) while we await for the Forge CU in December.

Gui_PT

Hey guys, how've you been? Found a good deal on an X1 with some money I managed to save up

Who wants to trade a Fifa 15 code for a Halo 5 code?

Haha

Hahaha

Hahaha ha

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seriously though

I don't see the problem. It was a pretty wide miss. He was moving away from the blast which was a body length and a half from him. I think there is math in there that says if your velocity is in the direction of the blast direction that there is damage falloff. Also, what was the health of guy and was he overshielded?
Pretty wide miss lol? Did you watch the video?? Inches.. The Rocket was within inches of the enemy, and there is no Overshield on Coliseum. In fact, my first Rocket was farther from the enemy than my second Rocket, but the second still missed because it got caught in geometry when Halo players have been complaining about this very thing since Halo 3.

Note: And I lost this game by ONE kill. Let that sink in lol

What? Lol

First off being in that range he should have died.
And secondly, no overshield. At all.

Depends on what you have and what you're playing. If you're playing Warzone, try and get behind the Ghost (wait somewhere until it passes) and shoot the driver out of it. Or as others have suggested, try and team shoot the Ghost (they go down quick that way). If playing Warzone, check if you have a Plasma Pistol card or if playing BTB check where the Plasma Pistol spawns. Charge it up and hit the Ghost, they'll be immobile for a few moments. Also, zoom in with the Plasma Pistol as it gives it quite a bit more range and lock-on.

Ramirez

WZ Assault has so much potential, it's sad how lame it is. There should be two arming stations at each leg, & use the entire map area of each leg and not just the bases. Just straight copy Rush, don't require people to be holding a bomb, just walk up to a thing and "arm" it.

This "stand in the base and watch a circle fill" is so bad.

I'll be honest though, I enjoy it for the shooting gallery it currently is.

I love WZ Assault lol. I wish they made it possible to attack several targets (without abusing the bug) to make games where the defending team are very good at digging in a bit less one-sided and added some variants (actual Assault using a bomb as Ram suggested sounds good) but it's such a relaxing playlist.

Prometheans are so boring to fight :(

Seems like they're much better now than in Halo 4 though. I just feel like they made the wrong decision when searching for a new enemy in this trilogy though.

The more and gameplay would have been so much better off focusing on enemies which could display some form of emotion like the Brutes.

At least they have a strong staple of 'factions' now though for Halo Wars 2 (Humans +/- Sangheli, Covenant, Brutes, Prometheans)

pieface

I like this game. I really like the core mechanics of it, but i'm very close to the point of just not bothering to play it.

BTB is a complete mess. No game ends fairly with 8v8, and objective game types are terrible with unbalanced teams. Just a waste of time

I'm bored of the Arena maps already. 30 hours of Arena and I have little interest in going back.

Warzone - Bored of the Warzone maps after 30 hours.

Think i'm done til the next round of DLC whenever that is.

But where do you want these bots? In Warzone? For what purpose? As teammates? To fight against? I'm genuinely confused and just wanna figure out what you had in mind.

Generalising.. You could (theoretically) have a similar system as Forza's Driveatar. At least to a certain extent. Driveatar is all about applying a particular persons style of play and skill to a base AI if I'm remembering rightly? If you always take corners slowly and bump into people often, your Driveatar will go round corners dead slow and get into crashes frequently.

So to apply that sort of theory for Halo AI, say you were a player that landed perfect kills 90% of the time and always threw grenades in encounters, you could transfer that info to the AI. So they were deadly accurate and nade spammy. Whether or not it would be far too complex to do in practice idk because I don't have all that much experience with AI :3

Yes that is what I meant.

It would be interesting to have pro player profiles to compete against or you can use them to practice. It could be used for bots since people has been asking for that since forever.

Glass

Going over the art blog from waypoint a few days ago, can't express how much I want arena maps in locations like these.

h5-guardians-campaign-02-1920x1080-282efa108b9146bda6c6f1bd71299794.jpg

h5-guardians-campaign-08-1920x1080-1b958ed6ac4e4e10a785c1a35febffe6.jpg

jesu

This is probably the single most important motivation for why the sustain plan is the way it is. It would be really clever of MS to introduce free Halo 5 weekends next year BTW, once the content starts adding up I think it would get a lot of people that don't follow the updates to re-engage with the game. I also hope they are planning for the longer term than just Summer 2016, I think they should focus on keeping Halo 5 alive for the rest of the XB1 lifetime like someone else said.

Not really what you are talking about but your post got me thinking that maybe if Warzone and Req packs were successful, Warzone could go F2P at some point.

Pretty wide miss lol? Did you watch the video?? Inches.. The Rocket was within inches of the enemy, and there is no Overshield on Coliseum. In fact, my first Rocket was farther from the enemy than my second Rocket, but the second still missed because it got caught in geometry when Halo players have been complaining about this very thing since Halo 3.

Note: And I lost this game by ONE kill. Let that sink in lol

Actually looking at the video again and thinking about what would probably constitute the collision volume for what you hit the enemy was essentially around the "corner" of what the rocket collided with. Like throwing a grenade and expecting the blast to go through a wall to the other side.

BraXzy

Going over the art blog from waypoint a few days ago, can't express how much I want arena maps in locations like these.

Tell me about it. Some of the locations in the campaign were insanely gorgeous. They looked great in the games but even better in screenshots.

We definitely need some unique locales like this in multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom