• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually looking at the video again and thinking about what would probably constitute the collision volume for what you hit the enemy was essentially around the "corner" of what the rocket collided with. Like throwing a grenade and expecting the blast to go through a wall to the other side.
I've been killed by Rockets when people shoot under a platform I'm standing on and I've been killed by explosions while standing on the other side of a wall, yet you're telling me this Rocket makes sense that it didn't kill that guy.

Sorry man, but nahh. It's the equivalent of shooting a Rocket into stairs and the enemy just waltzing through it like nothing ever happened. It's not fun gameplay, especially when you lose by one kill in the end lol

Tell me about it. Some of the locations in the campaign were insanely gorgeous. They looked great in the games but even better in screenshots.

We definitely need some unique locales like this in multiplayer.

What? Wouldn't your prefer more interchangable industrial environments?

I've been killed by Rockets when people shoot under a platform I'm standing on and I've been killed by explosions while standing on the other side of a wall, yet you're telling me this Rocket makes sense that it didn't kill that guy.

Sorry man, but nahh.

I'm just saying it is the likely reason why he didn't die. Worth experimenting.

Trup1aya

WZ Assault has so much potential, it's sad how lame it is. There should be two arming stations at each leg, & use the entire map area of each leg and not just the bases. Just straight copy Rush, don't require people to be holding a bomb, just walk up to a thing and "arm" it.

This "stand in the base and watch a circle fill" is so bad.

I'll be honest though, I enjoy it for the shooting gallery it currently is.

I love it for being the shooting gallery it is. Wouldn't change a thing

Actually looking at the video again and thinking about what would probably constitute the collision volume for what you hit the enemy was essentially around the "corner" of what the rocket collided with. Like throwing a grenade and expecting the blast to go through a wall to the other side.

I've had that happen to me more then once... :(.

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member
I've put about 10-15 hours into the MP of this and as much as I like the game (as such) I've pretty much reached the same conclusion that I reach with every console fps whenever I try to play them. These sorts of games are beyond unplayable with a control pad. It's staggeringly bad almost beyond words how little control you have over your aim. It's incredibly frustrating.

How a genre of games that has such a terrible control method on consoles can have such a massive following I'll never understand.

I've put about 10-15 hours into the MP of this and as much as I like the game (as such) I've pretty much reached the same conclusion that I reach with every console fps whenever I try to play them. These sorts of games are beyond unplayable with a control pad. It's staggeringly bad almost beyond works how little control you have over your aim. It's incredibly frustrating.

How a genre of games that has such a terrible control method on consoles can have such a massive following I'll never understand.

Shooters can control fine with a control pad, Halo 5 just has horrifically bad deadzones and stick acceleration.

343i claims they're going to give players more customization options in a future update. One hopes one of the options will be 'just like every Bungie Halo'

Detective

I've put about 10-15 hours into the MP of this and as much as I like the game (as such) I've pretty much reached the same conclusion that I reach with every console fps whenever I try to play them. These sorts of games are beyond unplayable with a control pad. It's staggeringly bad almost beyond words how little control you have over your aim. It's incredibly frustrating.

Than FPS on console is not for you. Just don't buy them.

Shooters can control fine with a control pad, Halo 5 just has horrifically bad deadzones and stick acceleration.

343i claims they're going to give players more customization options in a future update. One hopes one of the options will be 'just like every Bungie Halo'

are the deadzones specific to Halo 5? or is it just the bone's controller in general?

only bought the bone for halo (when SO came out), so I literally have nothing to compare it to.

either way, I completely agree with the poster you were replying to - just can't ever aim properly with anything but a keyboard and mouse.

but, watching snipedown on twitch (or having him on in the background while I sand floors, rather), keeps me inspired to keep working at it ;p

Karl2177

Game literally just crashed the Xbone. Left a Warzone lobby because some guy was blaring music into his headset and then a loud screeching noise erupted from my tv. Screen went haywire and the Xbox logo popped up.

are the deadzones specific to Halo 5? or is it just the bone's controller in general?

only bought the bone for halo (when SO came out), so I literally have nothing to compare it to.

either way, I completely agree with the poster you were replying to - just can't ever aim properly with anything but a keyboard and mouse.

but, watching snipedown on twitch (or having him on in the background while I sand floors, rather), keeps me inspired to keep working at it ;p

It's not the Xbox One controller.

Plenty of shooters feel great with it, including Halo MCC.

It's a Halo 5 issue.

It's definitely difficult to get used to it coming from KB+M... I did it like 15 years ago for the first Halo, didn't think it was possible to make it work but after hours and hours of split screen and LAN parties I got comfortable enough with the controls that they stopped bothering me and I've been fine since then. Might be one of those things you have to learn as a kid or you'll never get it.

Edit: I will say that Halo 5 controls way better than most other console FPS for me, the only problem I have is the auto-aim being too aggressive when you are fighting several enemies at once (gets difficult to stay on a specific target). It's pretty difficult to go back to Destiny or even MCC (and once I get used to one of those it takes a while to get used to Halo 5 again...).

NOKYARD

Going over the art blog from waypoint a few days ago, can't express how much I want arena maps in locations like these.
h5-guardians-campaign-02-1920x1080-282efa108b9146bda6c6f1bd71299794.jpg
When i was at 343i i mentioned how great a Breakout arena/canvas would look in that location with Shanghelios assets.

My vision was a Greek/Roman style amphitheater
Yacht-Charter-greece-amphitheater.jpg

with giant statues depicting the Battle of the Index Chamber,

The Arbiter with a Sword, Johnson wielding a Sniper, and Miranda Keyes holding the Index on one side, and Tartarus, a Jackal Sniper, and a Brute Chieftain on the other side. The human statues would be fashioned as an Elite artist's interpretation of the human form rather than the actual form.

Central to the design would be the Fist of Rukt at one end, and the Prophets' Bane at the other. In other words, the perfect setting for Grifball.

jesu

Awful as usual at BTB but having loads of hectic fun!
Other people in my team being even worse than me?
Result!

Serious though, I get on the Warthog gun, guy that drives is the only person playing drunker than me!
Every time.
What's the chances of that?

It's a Halo 5 issue.

Yeah, it's definitely not the controller. Personally, I feel like the Beta had better aiming overall. I don't feel like Halo 5's current aiming is consistent. Sometimes I can be very consistent with my shots and other times I feel like I am overshooting more then I should. I dropped from an 8 sensitivity from the Beta to a 6 sensitivity in the final game.

Tawpgun

lol

All things take time getting used to. It's like giving someone a control pad who has never played with one before. Just the simple motion of looking while moving is very difficult at first.

You could always consult with SpeedyBlueDude. Pretty sure that dude played CS:GO with a controller

It's a Halo 5 issue.

cool, thanks.

that's really reassuring - gives me hope their promised update will actually help.

as it is - I touch the thumbstick slightly and my reticle hops too far (BTB is unplayable for me because of this).

and I've been gamepadding since Halo CE, heh.

turning sensitivity down helped a bit, and haven't gotten to try the latest patch because I've got the "lost connection" but for the past week :/

When i was at 343i i mentioned how great a Breakout arena/canvas would look in that location with Shanghelios assets.

The Arbiter with a Sword, Johnson wielding a Sniper, and Miranda Keyes holding the Index on one side, and Tartarus, a Jackal Sniper, and a Brute Chieftain on the other side. The human statues would be fashioned as an Elite artist's interpretation of the human form rather than the actual form.

Central to the design would be the Fist of Rukt at one end, and the Prophets' Bane at the other. In other words, the perfect setting for Grifball.

That sounds completely reasonable and unbiased and also hella reasonable.

cool, thanks.

that's really reassuring - gives me hope their promised update will actually help.

as it is - I touch the thumbstick slightly and my reticle hops too far (BTB is unplayable for me because of this).

and I've been gamepadding since Halo CE, heh.

turning sensitivity down helped a bit, and haven't gotten to try the latest patch because I've got the "lost connection" but for the past week :/

I find it interesting that we have completely different experiences with the aiming. :p I started out at 3 which is lower than what I usually play at but have now gotten back to 5 and it feels great.

If you want to try playing around with the deadzone in the way you'll hopefully be able to once the update arrives, the R6: Siege beta has options to change the deadzone and vertical/horizontal sensitivity separately.

I think it's not just casual that are gone.Believe it or not but some new mechanics like ADS and unlimited sprint took away uniqe feeling of Halo. People were bitching about ADS all the time and saying Halo needs to be modernized..So what the actual f..k ADS has added to gameplay..NOTHING...I prefer the old aiming system anyday..Battlefront doesn't have ADS and it's way more popular now..

Caja 117

I think it's not just casual that are gone.Believe it or not but some new mechanics like ADS and unlimited sprint took away uniqe feeling of Halo. People were bitching about ADS all the time and saying Halo needs to be modernized..So what the actual f..k ADS has added to gameplay..NOTHING...I prefer the old aiming system anyday..Battlefront doesn't have ADS and it's way more popular now..
Its ....Star Wars......

Magwik

Banned

4kweozF.gif

Glass

Sign me up for some of that! I'd love to see Breakout on non Breakout palette maps.

Madness

Tell me about it. Some of the locations in the campaign were insanely gorgeous. They looked great in the games but even better in screenshots.

We definitely need some unique locales like this in multiplayer.

Reach am cry...

I don't know, I mean you never want to just transport campaign spaces to multiplayer because you want to develop maps around gametypes and modes. It's why so many Reach maps played bad.

Also, I think it would be hard to maintain 60fps with the frenetic action of multiplayer and having maps as good looking as the campaign spaces.

arimanius

First time I got to play in 4 days and really enjoying rocket rumble. Won a few of my placement matches and got put into platinum. I expected higher. :|

Caja 117

Uh, how?

I said the controller feels great with MCC, and I said I would like one of the new options for Halo 5 to read 'just like Bungie's Halo games'....3 of which are in the MCC.

And two of those are fron 343, so if you say you want an option to play like bungie, it means you have a problem with Halo 4 and Halo 2A aiming as well... but, nevermind, your constant hate on 343 is common to anyone, so your contradiction inst surprising at all.

Karl2177

And two of those are fron 343, so if you say you want an option to play like bungie, it means you have a problem with Halo 4 and Halo 2A aiming as well... but, nevermind, your constant hate on 343 is common to anyone, so your contradiction inst surprising at all.

I think Antitype is kinda annoying, but 'Like Bungie Halo's' is different from 'Not 343i's Halo'

games not even in the top 10 on xbl right now.

cannot believe it. man do 343 need to get some new ways to play in there fast.

im guessing the long term plan is that population of games like battlefront/rainbow/madden/etc might drop but the long term updates keep halo in the mix? idk. its just pretty clear people want some more basic features, fast

Reach am cry...

I don't know, I mean you never want to just transport campaign spaces to multiplayer because you want to develop maps around gametypes and modes. It's why so many Reach maps played bad.

Also, I think it would be hard to maintain 60fps with the frenetic action of multiplayer and having maps as good looking as the campaign spaces.
People need to fucking stop with this. The multiplayer maps in reach were put into campaign, not the other way around. Yes they still sucked, but that can be said for most all halo maps for the past 5 years.

Slightly different from what everyone is talking about but some of the campaign spaces could make for good Warzone Firefight maps with minimal modification.

Eg. that area you have to fight through before you get to the Arbiter.

Ramirez

Weird, looks like ADS shooters are still ahead of BFront on the XBL charts.

Halo 5 doesn't have ADS anyways. Switch your control scheme if you're playing it like an ADS shooter, because it most certainly isn't one.

Halo 5 doesn't have ADS anyways. Switch your control scheme if you're playing it like an ADS shooter, because it most certainly isn't one.

precisely this.

It's mostly cosmetic, and has zero forced negative impacts on one's play style (or the game's play style in general).

Madness

People need to fucking stop with this. The multiplayer maps in reach were put into campaign, not the other way around. Yes they still sucked, but that can be said for most all halo maps for the past 5 years.

Weren't Spire and Boneyard expressly created for Invasion and then just thrown into BTB, Team Slayer and Campaign as well? Either way I like the separation between campaign team and arena/pro team. Maybe that's why from a game play aspect, both parts 'PLAY' so well.

Leyasu

Banned
Awful as usual at BTB but having loads of hectic fun!
Other people in my team being even worse than me?
Result!

Serious though, I get on the Warthog gun, guy that drives is the only person playing drunker than me!
Every time.
What's the chances of that?

Mate, you're on my friendlist. I have been getting some games going quite often with other gaffers and it is always a good time... Even when we have had our pants pulled down.

I'll hit you up next time I'm on.... Tomorrow without doubt

First time I placed 1st on FFA. I feel so proud ;_;

That's probably because you're going in alone and being team-shot by the other side, use shoot and run tactics with the ghost and try to act as more of a support with your team-mates

My tip was going to be your second paragraph haha. I always end up getting wrecked when I go near a ghost. And people board me so easily. Yet I go near a ghost that is station ary and BAM, splattered.

Only thing I can suggest is team shoot them and don't get caught out on your own since it makes you an easy target.

Depends on what you have and what you're playing. If you're playing Warzone, try and get behind the Ghost (wait somewhere until it passes) and shoot the driver out of it. Or as others have suggested, try and team shoot the Ghost (they go down quick that way). If playing Warzone, check if you have a Plasma Pistol card or if playing BTB check where the Plasma Pistol spawns. Charge it up and hit the Ghost, they'll be immobile for a few moments. Also, zoom in with the Plasma Pistol as it gives it quite a bit more range and lock-on.

Thanks guys. Yeah seems like I need to do a better job noticing other players when I'm getting shot at while piloting a Ghost. In that instance its not worth getting the kill and I better just zoom away.

If its just me vs the Ghost and hes close enough maybe I can try to jump toward him while shooting / nade instead of running away? Chances of survival are pretty low so I can at least try to get behind him or try to hijack.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Also BF has the "ADS" that user complained about since you can pull the left trigger to aim. It just has similar visuals to previous Halo aim visuals.

jesu

Mate, you're on my friendlist. I have been getting some games going quite often with other gaffers and it is always a good time... Even when we have had our pants pulled down.

I'll hit you up next time I'm on.... Tomorrow without doubt

Right I'll try and get online tomorrow.

First BTB game tonight we rompded it150- 20 odds.
Next one I got beat 150 nil, lol

I've now watched the boxing, I'll get back on in a minute, need to get my BTB rank!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So basically give everyone who picks that option massive aim assist?

Fuck this. I really hope there isn't an aim assist option. That would ruin the already perfect aiming they have going on. Only issue is acceleration right now. Not sure why they even messed with the beta aiming.

... What.. He wasn't being overly specific. And as far as overall body plus aim movements, yes Bungie is better than h4 and 5 is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom