• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would work with 3 others humans but with AI?? There would be problems.

One thing is very clear though. Halo desperately needs some form of repeatable group PvE experience. Whether that is Firefight, Raids, repeatable story missions (the bare minimum), self-contained Challenges. Something!! Casuals aren't gonna stick with a PvP only game. It's just too stressful to spend all your time in compared to something with PvP and PvE modes.

Im not thinking it would have ai as partners. Idk where you came up with that.

Im stating the pallette of places to create these "raids" or pve type of places are quite endless.

Look how amazing genesis looked. So goood.

Glass

Anyone else think its a mistake having a legendary boss in the armory on March on Stormbreak? One team shoots ahead in points and usually gets 2 bases, kind of spurs on any early quitters.

Anyone else think its a mistake having a legendary boss in the armory on March on Stormbreak? One team shoots ahead in points and usually gets 2 bases, kind of spurs on any early quitters.

Yeah, it's dumb. Put a 25-pointer in there if you must, but it's pretty ridiculous to have that many points on the line that early.

Is it possible to do something like drivatars that was from forza motorsport 5 and put it in halo 5?

What problems? There's already 24 plus AI, Destiny does it, and resistance 2 coop had 9 players versus ai. It requires is good networking.

I dunno, I've had several matches where the team that takes out the boss gets weakened and the other team mops up and takes the fortress. Or maybe they got a lucky last hit. But yes having that many points on the line at the beginning seems a tad unfair.

_woLf

Tried playing arena MP again.

Quickly remembered how pure shit the controls are in this game. I hope to god that the patch that allows you to customize sensitivity and shit comes soon otherwise I don't think I can play this game again. It just does not control like a halo game.

BraXzy

I was asking in general if it would be possible, but I it could be used like bots or something .

But where do you want these bots? In Warzone? For what purpose? As teammates? To fight against? I'm genuinely confused and just wanna figure out what you had in mind.

Generalising.. You could (theoretically) have a similar system as Forza's Driveatar. At least to a certain extent. Driveatar is all about applying a particular persons style of play and skill to a base AI if I'm remembering rightly? If you always take corners slowly and bump into people often, your Driveatar will go round corners dead slow and get into crashes frequently.

So to apply that sort of theory for Halo AI, say you were a player that landed perfect kills 90% of the time and always threw grenades in encounters, you could transfer that info to the AI. So they were deadly accurate and nade spammy. Whether or not it would be far too complex to do in practice idk because I don't have all that much experience with AI :3

JackHerer

I'm not pulling any lines, I'm just saying because they had a small section polished for a beta doesn't mean the game was anywhere near complete.

Well it seemed a bit hyperbolic to claim that I don't know anything about game design. Not to mention coming off as aggressive.

It seemed to be in damned good shape a year out and the game plays essential exactly the same as it did in the beta minus a few tweaks. The beta actually had a relatively large slice of content. They had I think 4 maps not counting breakout which is half of the arena maps that shipped in the game and I believe they said The Rig was one of the first maps they created so that's nearly 5/8 maps that were close to ready. That to me is being pretty far into development at least for the Arena half of mp.

I bet much of the time between then and release was dedicated to Warzone, and creating as many reqs as possible....

BraXzy

One thing I really really want confirmation on from 343, is where we stand on the post-launch map count. Have we received 4 of the 18+ maps so far or do Forge maps not count? I just wish they'd be transparent about that.

On top of that, of the 6 Warzone maps confirmed for post-launch, are we essentially getting 3 + assault versions?

BraXzy

So many little pieces of geometry to get stuck on, for grenades to bounce off of, for Rockets to not even hurt people, etc.

This irritates the hell out of me sometimes. Thrust to evade out of someone's way, wait never mind I got caught on a bit of decoration -.-

Worst issue with rockets I've noticed is with certain stairs that have gaps between the steps. If you shoot your rocket just right at someone on them, itll go through a gap and explode at the back leaving them unharmed. Noticed it outside Eden/Empire near rocket/caster spawn. I forget which.

Turning of vibration has significantly improved my gameplay. Seems like I'm getting paired up with really good people now and getting my ass whooped again after a few hours of doing really well.

tuna_love

Banned
I got a double head shot with the sniper. My dog and I were ecstatic. She told me how proud she was of me and that she always knew I could do it. I told her what a good dog she was and she just nodded with a singular tear forming in her eyes. It was so special.

Hatchtag

Banned
I got a double head shot with the sniper. My dog and I were ecstatic. She told me how proud she was of me and that she always knew I could do it. I told her what a good dog she was and she just nodded with a singular tear forming in her eyes. It was so special.

fallout 4/mgsv/cod ghosts/persona 3 threads are elsewhere buddy.

tuna_love

Banned
fallout 4/mgsv/cod ghosts/persona 3 threads are elsewhere buddy.

1jXdzhj.gif

bro

malfcn

Holy shit. 1-1 flag tie was insane. Good good match.

Then I opened a silver REQ with a Teishin helmet in it. Hard crash to dash.

They don't even need to waste time making a firefight/pve that isnt a warzone edit. Put A.I. and good scripting in forge so people can make quasi missions. Have people make what they want to play. Allow REQs to be used, get rewarded xp/rp, sell them for $2 a piece and give the authors 25% cut, or 20000 req points (still give them a cut?) if it averages 4/5 stars and gets approved or something. I have seen some amazing things made in forge in the past, some seriously awesome stuff would be made. Then, add in some kind of player economy, so people can trade/bet/etc. like CS:GO its a huge success in that game. Expand REQs, I want Archer to be my warzone announcer, core is under attack DANGER ZONE.

Pretty sure people love modding/Little Big Planet/Infamous missions creator/Minecraft etc. Just give the community tools.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The European Halo 5 community must be totally dead, I am Gold 2 in Slayer and I only get matched against US players. It's annoying because of the lag, grenades are especially lag sensitive for some reason

Well it seemed a bit hyperbolic to claim that I don't know anything about game design. Not to mention coming off as aggressive.

It seemed to be in damned good shape a year out and the game plays essential exactly the same as it did in the beta minus a few tweaks. The beta actually had a relatively large slice of content. They had I think 4 maps not counting breakout which is half of the arena maps that shipped in the game and I believe they said The Rig was one of the first maps they created so that's nearly 5/8 maps that were close to ready. That to me is being pretty far into development at least for the Arena half of mp.

I bet much of the time between then and release was dedicated to Warzone, and creating as many reqs as possible....

Game should have definitely released with more modes, they don't even have series staples such as king of the hill and oddball. And the map selection is pretty bad, they flat out lied when they over inflated how many would be available at launch. I'm with you the whole way, it should have more content then what it does.

Hatchtag

Banned
Man... It's really sad to see Halo falls back to number 11 in most played games.
COD
Fallout
Fifa
GTA
Destiny
BF
NBA
Minecraft
Madden
Rainbow Six beta

Aaaaaannnd and Halo 5.

What gives?? :/

lack of content, leveling systems that don't work in a way that retains players well and a decline in popularity of arena style fps games don't mix well. Two of these things aren't neccessarily bad things but the first one kinda is. I wouldn't even say it's lacking in content for a game, but for a Halo game it kinda is.

The steps on The Rig have denied me so many kills.

Man, you can see the lag compensation at work here. Way too much for the Sniper Rifle.

I opened that gif in Photoshop and if you go frame by frame when he fires it looks lined up fine but when the gif is playing makes it look like there is a bunch of compensation.

Trup1aya

So basically, with everyone understanding that the install base isn't here and that we're not in 360 era anymore where the brand xbox succeed to put its balls on the most powerful brand of VG of all time (Playstation), everyone want to scatter the few XONE players around more playlists than the games already content ? Really bad decision if you ask me.

It reminds me a lot about Titanfall where EVERYONE knew already that all they would play was DEATHMATCH and still asked to death for 10 more modes in the game in order to enjoy it (or feel complete I think). Results : Dev add 7 modes = 90% players played Deathmatch to death, and the situation is still the same today. Deathmatch it is.

I can understand that players want more maps : It's my case too and I'm tired of Forge made map as well. But more modes ? Nah, 343i can't afford to make more modes just for some players around the web to feel complete and play them for 5 minutes before going back to BTB slayer and Classic Slayer (and Breakout, Breakout is a bliss).

The game control like it never did in the Halo franchise, it puts the other FPS to shame in a time when we all thought that the genre was doomed. Give players a solid Classic Slayer/BTB Slayer and then I honestly think that we could all agree that 343i did the job damn fine. (regarding MP at least)

Sure, but what's the point of adding tons of modes, characters, weapons, 50 hours campaign, when the gameplay feels as cheap as COD ? Halo 5 gameplay is nothing to be compared to COD imo. Titanfall already puts the whole COD multi-bilionaire-most-sold franchise to shame gameplay wise. Halo 5 gameplay is well better than Titanfall, I can't get back to it without feeling the cheapness of the last game...

More modes wouldn't spread the player base. I'm asking for more variety within the existing playlists.

Team Arena should include things like oddball, assault, koth, and VIP.

FFA should include juggernaut.

BTB should have dev made maps

Warzone should have a 12player fire fight variant...

It might look easy, but there could be factors thay we as non developers and not having grasp of what the project managing if a game like this could tell. And when the time came the desision was made and not lightly, and I bet a lot of analisis, brain storming and hard choices were made to come up with the end product and 343 knew better than anyone that the comunity was not going to welcome this.

Bare in mind that at least KotH and Odball are the same type of objective which is time based on non static objective, basically KotH is the same oddball with the difference that the objective is static in one point, assault is a reverse CTF but with timer plus explosion animation and one flag has a different scoring and scheme than any other gametype: Defense and Offense changing by rounds.

Yeah I prefaced all my comments with the fact that I'm no developer.

But shipping without Koth, Oddball, Assualt etc, but managing to squeeze in Breakout with 5 exclusive maps smells like mismanagement. I can't say for sure if it was a timing thing, or a planned sustain thing, but either way, it was piss poor execution.

But since these are really just minor variations of existing gametypes, I'm thinking it was planned. Look at how quickly they threw a neutral flag into Breakout. Surely it couldn't be that hard to throw a skull into the middle of the Arena maps and call it oddball. I dunno.

And for them to say " we'll have more content as part of our sustain" means nothing, if the playerbase is gone by the time this stuff arrives... IF it ever comes (343i won't confirm anything on the matter).

Raldoh

For some reason I've been watching a Halo 5 twitch stream (rarely watch Twitch streams at all). Seems like Halo 5 has been dropping population quite dramatically. This guy, ranked champion in BTB, has only been able to play no more than 5 games or so within a 2 hour period. Sure a population drop was expected given the tough competition. But it seems that the matchmaking system might be doing more harm than good preserving the competitiveness above all, instead of being able to play.

Welfare

Man... It's really sad to see Halo falls back to number 11 in most played games.
COD
Fallout
Fifa
GTA
Destiny
BF
NBA
Minecraft
Madden
Rainbow Six beta

Aaaaaannnd and Halo 5.

Dat post launch sustainment plan.

So stupid. Were 343 serious with that because it really is a stupid way of keeping players coming back. It doesn't even work because the only people coming back are the people that like Halo to begin with. Everyone else saw how lacking the game was at launch and quit to go elsewhere.

I don't remember MCC falling out of the top 10 this quickly.

I have yet to wait very long for matchmaking. Get games rolling in under a minute.

Game is still brilliant. I get the above gripes but eh, it still plays like a dream.

blakep267

So stupid. Were 343 serious with that because it really is a stupid way of keeping players coming back. It doesn't even work because the only people coming back are the people that like Halo to begin with. Everyone else saw how lacking the game was at launch and quit to go elsewhere.

you do realize that the he charts fluctuate depending on time of day. It's usually hanging around 7 or 8 for the last week or so. The rainbow 6 beta was new and free so of course it would get a boost. But now it's vanished completely from the top 12

Hatchtag

Banned
Breakout is boring..

Imo breakout needs a couple of things to become a better game mode:
-Pre set commands a la MGO. Soloing breakout is terrible, more so than any other game mode. Like, let me say "charge the flag" or "stall 'em out" or some other simple commands.
-Give the same REQ points as BTB since it takes so long most the time. Unless one team flat out demolishes the other, the game takes way longer than a slayer match. It makes this the least appealing mode for getting REQ packs.
-More maps. I mean they're forge maps for cryin' out loud.
-Bigger variety in map looks. I like the whole virtual visual style but it does get repetivie
-One time I glitched out and died during the launching sequence. Why was that a thing?

The people who like Halo are the ones they are focused on, I suspect. Retaining 'casuals' who flit between games is worth a shot, but it is not always gonna work. I don't think most of those players give a shit about no oddball, to be quite honest.

Raldoh

I have yet to wait very long for matchmaking. Get games rolling in under a minute.

Game is still brilliant. I get the above gripes but eh, it still plays like a dream.

I'll clarify more, I like it a lot as well and do not experience any issues finding games due to my platinum/gold rankings. My concern is that the current match making system might not suitable for a game with a shrinking player base. Which is a shame, because the basic mechanics are one of the best in the series. Long waiting times/no matches is detrimental for the community as a whole and should be addressed by 343.

• Ranking doesn't mean anything, except once it's high enough you can't "relax" in that playlist anymore
  • MMR + tier ranks is counterproductive, weird, and needlessly confusing
  • People are fatigued by all the quitters, insufficient systems in place to punish them
  • Solo players can match up with full parties
  • Arena and BTB spawns are godawful
  • No social playlists to goof around in with friends
  • Warzone is pretty one-note due to limited map flow and how Legendary bosses can easily, harshly skew matches
  • Limited number of maps overall, which affects every mode in different ways

I love Halo 5, but it's got big problems it needs to solve to win the crowd back. That said, its population is still pretty good!

Imo breakout needs a couple of things to become a better game mode:
-Pre set commands a la MGO. Soloing breakout is terrible, more so than any other game mode. Like, let me say "charge the flag" or "stall 'em out" or some other simple commands.
-Give the same REQ points as BTB since it takes so long most the time. Unless one team flat out demolishes the other, the game takes way longer than a slayer match. It makes this the least appealing mode for getting REQ packs.
-More maps. I mean they're forge maps for cryin' out loud.
-Bigger variety in map looks. I like the whole virtual visual style but it does get repetivie
-One time I glitched out and died during the launching sequence. Why was that a thing?

• Blue team needs to be a different color, to better tell them apart from the BLUE MAPS
  • Seriously, why are the maps BLUE when one of the teams is BLUE?
  • I honestly don't know why the mode with BLUE MAPS has a BLUE TEAM versus a RED TEAM
  • Might as well make all the Arena maps bright red to balance it out!

(I'm half-joking, but seriously, Blue Team needs to be a different color)

Welfare

you do realize that the he charts fluctuate depending on time of day. It's usually hanging around 7 or 8 for the last week or so. The rainbow 6 beta was new and free so of course it would get a boost. But now it's vanished completely from the top 12

"7 or 8"

That's bad for Halo this close to release.

The people who like Halo are the ones they are focused on, I suspect. Retaining 'casuals' who flit between games is worth a shot, but it is not always gonna work. I don't think most of those players give a shit about no oddball, to be quite honest.

It's not that nobody gives a shit about oddball. This game is barebones for what a Halo title should have. No forge, no fileshare, we had to wait for BTB to show up with forge maps, the game type selection is pitiful. For a lot of people, there is very little reason to play Halo 5 right now if you own other games.

I love Halo 5, but damn is it lacking in content right now, and there is no excuse for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom