• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
Sometimes Slayer games want to start up with 1000 people in them

Capture_zpsakgcacv1.png

Classic 343i game.
lol it just did that with my group in warzone

You need some real patience to go into Arena matchmaking solo. It's astonishing how there are so many people who don't have any sense of teamwork whatsoever lol

Monocle

You need some real patience to go into Arena matchmaking solo. It's astonishing how there are so many people who don't have any sense of teamwork whatsoever lol
Don't worry, it's exactly the same in Warzone Assault. Rather than protect the core, lots of people would rather race around in vehicles, chase after random dudes, or hang out on the other side of the map (sometimes causing you to spawn there and take a full minute to run back to where you're supposed to be). So that's neat.

Glass

Ducain's uploaded a video showing off the forge pieces used in the Valhalla inspired remake, really gives you an appreciation for how robust the new forge is. It's the most seamless a forge map has ever looked imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fz4lLucYwY

Some of the pieces are huuuuge.

h2M2KN2.jpg

Note his spartan to the right of the base below the big rock. The even bigger rock on the left, just outside the map, is apparently a single forge piece.

Trup1aya

Welp... I've been converted. After having never liked BTB in my life, I'm infatuated with it in H5. I can look past the ugly maps, because they play so damn well (3 of them anyway)... Even better that 343i's arena maps.

I don't know if it's because I'm tired of the same 3 WZ maps or I don't have time to party up for 4v4, but I have no desire to touch any other playlists right now...

While I don't mind Basin I hope we get a better Valhalla remake once Forge is out in the wild, Basin plays nothing like it due to the focus on the base in the middle. It is a very good looking Forge map though, if you just could put some classic Forerunner textures on the bases it would be great.

I've also noticed the issue with getting up on the rock to the side entrance from the shady side of the middle base, it's hard to find anything to clamber up on which isn't the case on the other side.

Madness

Welp... I've been converted. After having never liked BTB in my life, I'm infatuated with it in H5. I can look past the ugly maps, because they play so damn well (3 of them anyway)... Even better that 343i's arena maps.

I don't know if it's because I'm tired of the same 3 WZ maps or I don't have time to party up for 4v4, but I have no desire to touch any other playlists right now...

That's primarily one of the reasons they made Warzone, BTB since Halo 3 onwards has often pushed Team Slayer as most popular playlist, and it's because there is less emphasis on an individuals skill, and because the larger maps, usually allow for more vehicle warfare and power weapons as well. I think it was a giant mistake now not having it at launch, thinking Warzone would suffice. Warzone maybe would have done it if it had more modes beyond Assault, and had maybe 2-3 more maps at start.

I think BTB needs at least 2-3 more maps quickly as well as more gametypes, every playlist does in my opinion.

Trup1aya

That's primarily one of the reasons they made Warzone, BTB since Halo 3 onwards has often pushed Team Slayer as most popular playlist, and it's because there is less emphasis on an individuals skill, and because the larger maps, usually allow for more vehicle warfare and power weapons as well. I think it was a giant mistake now not having it at launch, thinking Warzone would suffice. Warzone maybe would have done it if it had more modes beyond Assault, and had maybe 2-3 more maps at start.

I think BTB needs at least 2-3 more maps quickly as well as more gametypes, every playlist does in my opinion.

I think I generally would prefer Warzone if there were more maps, and objective types. I think it has the potential to be better than BTB. But there is a lot of untapped potential.... Which is a common theme with this game.

On another note, I don't like the way 343i handles post game placement in Strongholds... It seems like priority is given to the guy with most Caps, but that undermines all of the work that goes into helping that guy make the capture, and ignores all the kills that added to the team score...

There is no stat for how many points a player scored for his team, which really should be the most important stat.

bchamba

I get so annoyed at the unnecessary geometry in the maps, like small edges on walkways and around doors. I keep getting stuck trying to take tight turns or forget there's a tiny lip on a bridge that I have to jump over to get down instead of just walking off.

E92 M3

Someone said earlier that Champions should match with Onyx, and that was a very smart suggestion. At this point, being a Champion is a hindrance lol.

Trup1aya

I get so annoyed at the unnecessary geometry in the maps, like small edges on walkways and around doors. I keep getting stuck trying to take tight turns or forget there's a tiny lip on a bridge that I have to jump over to get down instead of just walking off.

Yeah, this has been frustrating me quite a bit lately... There is a decent amount of geometry that looks good aesthetically, but makes gunfights unneccisarily frustrating at times.

That walkway/bridge segment of the underwater map, I ALWAYS side boost to dodge an attack but get stopped my the smallest ledge along the edge instead. the smallest of steps stops a spartan evade and it's annoying.

that detail in the 3D model for the level is fine but WHY does it have a hitbox shaped around it? especially one that stops movements.

Herbs

Banned
That walkway/bridge segment of the underwater map, I ALWAYS side boost to dodge an attack but get stopped my the smallest ledge along the edge instead. the smallest of steps stops a spartan evade and it's annoying.

that detail in the 3D model for the level is fine but WHY does it have a hitbox shaped around it? especially one that stops movements.

yeah that lip is shit

Caja 117

People who drop their pistols for another gun make me sad. :(

My relationship with the Gun is a love and hate one, I really like the pistol, but Im just mediocre with it, that mag clip is too short for my comfort so I always see myself looking for a BR as soon as I re-spawn.

Of Topic: I just wanted to vent somewhere, but Yesterday I got a new HDD for my PS4 and when I started restarting the ps4 with new HDD and moving my saved files to the new HDD, I freaking lost my Metal Gear Solid 5 save file, days of playing time just lost......pro tip to everyone that have a PS4, if you have a USB backup, dont restore that backup if the game is not installed, I think that was what deleted my game...

arimanius

Sometimes Slayer games want to start up with 1000 people in them

Capture_zpsakgcacv1.png

Classic 343i game.

The thing I noticed is it doesn't look like anyone is using my emblem. :D

Add me, we usually always need a 3rd or 4th.

TJ Ram

Mind if I add you as well? I'm always looking for people to play with.

My relationship with the Gun is a love and hate one, I really like the pistol, but Im just mediocre with it, that mag clip is too short for my comfort so I always see myself looking for a BR as soon as I re-spawn.

I like the BR as well. It took me a while to be able to aim decently with the pistol as well. I had to keep fiddling with the sensitivity until I found one I liked too. Then if I go play battlefront or blops it takes me awhile to readjust. But when everything clicks that gun is magical. Specially in swat. /drools

Caja 117

Yesterday I played a lot, man did I had some rust on me, at the beginning I was really struggling to get kills, but I actually end up playing some good games, man, Its a shame that some Halo fans dont like this Halo, every time I play this game I just like it more and more, the gameplay is just tight. Now 343, bring on the content!

bchamba

Yea that one is terrible and on the same map where camo is you can get caught on the edges on the doorways so when I try to boost back after grabbing camo and hug the wall I get stuck.

So that you can't thrust off the bridge at the first sign of danger, probably.

I go solo all the time. Thankfully the game is designed in such a way that I know where all my teammates are at all times, if they are being attacked, and sometimes they even make call outs (in game Spartan chatter).

As a solo player I use my teammates all the time, most of the time they don't even know it... even when I do team up with my freinds the amount of actual "teamwork" is very limited.

I'm not pro or anything (platinum 4 as of right now) but the game is not frustrating at all playing solo except for when your teammates start leaving when you get down 5 kills or so... the great thing about halo is you never out of the woods, I've had some amazing comebacks.

Caja 117

I go solo all the time. Thankfully the game is designed in such a way that I know where all my teammates are at all times, if they are being attacked, and sometimes they even make call outs (in game Spartan chatter).

As a solo player I use my teammates all the time.

I need to turn spartan chatter on, how are the callouts anyway? do they happen often?

I need to turn spartan chatter on, how are the callouts anyway? do they happen often?

The call outs themselves are pretty decent but they don't happen near enough.

Anyways I love this game so much, I literally cannot bring myself to play anything else other then arena mode. I have a massive backlog of games that I just can't play because all I want to play is this. Seriously I tried playing some tomb raider last night after a couple matchs and all I wanted to do the whole time I played that game was play halo 5.

I don't care if there is a lack of modes or only 8 maps or whatever, I could play slayer over and over and over again for hours on end.

If you're around your team. every engagenment or weapick up will be called-out. Even reloading or when you should take cover to recharge your shields. There are a lot of call-outs.

I've heard a spartan tell me that the enemy sniper is reloading and watch my head. or something like that. I think they did a great job in not overloading but providing very good information when needed. Now if you run alone all the time, you'll barely hear the spartan chatter/call outs. Alone as in you're not following team members and look for 1v1 engagements.

EDIT:

The thing I noticed is it doesn't look like anyone is using my emblem. :D

Hehe, how did you get that emblem? i've only seen it about 3 times, you being the 3rd person having it. You can pm me the deets if you don't want the secret out, but dont mind telling me :D. i need that mister chief. lol i have it as my mcc avatar/emblem/card thingy majig.

So that you can't thrust off the bridge at the first sign of danger, probably.

I can kind of see why they stop you shooting off the bridge in case you do it by accident but it's annoying to suddenly get stopped by a little ledge, something you would naturally walk over without thinking about it.

arimanius

Hehe, how did you get that emblem? i've only seen it about 3 times, you being the 3rd person having it. You can pm me the deets if you don't want the secret out, but dont mind telling me :D. i need that mister chief. lol i have it as my mcc avatar/emblem/card thingy majig.

Honestly can't remember. I think I just got lucky and got it out of a gold or warzone pack.

I can kind of see why they stop you shooting off the bridge in case you do it by accident but it's annoying to suddenly get stopped by a little ledge, something you would naturally walk over without thinking about it.

I think that the thing is, they're trying to create a balance where you can walk off the bridge, or jump off quickly and easily, but not thrust off quickly and easily. So a full-on fence wouldn't work.

Trup1aya

There really is no need to ever turn if off. I was baffled at the backlash Spartan chatter got during the beta. It's a godsend for people going in solo.

I even prefer it to talking to actually people sometimes. I can mute assholes, and still get decent info from their avatars.

It may be the reason why I actually like BTB this time around.

Fuchsdh

There really is no need to ever turn if off. I was baffled at the backlash Spartan chatter got during the beta. It's a godsend for people going in solo.

I even prefer it to talking to actually people sometimes. I can mute assholes, and still get decent info from their avatars.

I think part of the problem was that it was more frequent in the beta and it got lumped in with the whole "Halo 5's gone dudebro!" backlash in some corners of the internet.

Trup1aya

I think part of the problem was that it was more frequent in the beta and it got lumped in with the whole "Halo 5's gone dudebro!" backlash in some corners of the internet.

In the beta it was buggy... But it was a beta. People were outright dismissive without even stopping to consider the potential benefits of it.

Having an otherwise mute teammate notify me that I'm about to walk into a room where someone is hiding with a sword doesn't strike me as "dudebro" at all. It's just useful.

Now I almost wish they talked More!

Was there just a bunch of geometry posts? Feels like Halo!

I don't know why they continue to do that shit part of CE and 2s greatness was the straight edges and no bullshit during gunfights.

All the greats have simplified geometry in the mp maps.

Hatchtag

Banned
got a snipeltanious that took out a warthog driver and gunner last night and that's easily the sweetest damn thing i've pulled off in this game.

Trup1aya

We had our Battlefield commercial this-must-be-scripted moment last night on BTB.

Capture the Flag. Basin. Overtime. We're up 1-0 after a miracle gungoose run. Enemy team tries for a quick counter as emotions are running high... just as we thought a draw was in the cards....

Man, you went ape shit at the end there... If that isn't "Halo" I don't know what is

got a snipeltanious that took out a warthog driver and gunner last night and that's easily the sweetest damn thing i've pulled off in this game.

Vid or it didn't happen

Anybody else has super laggy games the last days?

I had one Warzone game two days ago that was essentially unplayable. I'd reload the AR and the reload animation played three times before it reloaded. Shields also took twice the length of time to recharge. Teleports and crazy vehicle physics everywhere.

Caja 117

It may be the reason why I actually like BTB this time around.

Thing is that if Im with my friends, the chatter seems intrusive if they are making callouts too. Tonight Im turning it on, I feel there are lots of times I get killed because of my lack of awareness.

cleansock

Banned
Anyone want the war zone req bundle for $12.50. I figure half off would be a fair price. My huge chief and Locke statue is coming in today and I decided to not use the req code since I still have another 4 weeks left in mine. Pm me if you want some needlers and mongeese!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom