• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the skip for the final warden fight. But it looks like they patched out the method where you clamber onto the turret platforms. I'm halfway into the final chapter and im so annoyed that I think it may be my least favorite campaign in the series. Why are all the promethean chapters padded with so many reinforcements?

I used the skip for the final warden fight. But it looks like they patched out the method where you clamber onto the turret platforms. I'm halfway into the final chapter and im so annoyed that I think it may be my least favorite campaign in the series. Why are all the promethean chapters padded with so many reinforcements?

Edit: guess they didn't.

Madness

I doubt they'd patch, I mean is it really any different than the other speed run glitches or other tactics found throughout the years?

Trup1aya

Yeah they are great for whizzing past the team and having 5 guys turn and go after it, just would love it if you could have 3 guys in the back, get people from A to B really quickly, would really make for a fun team element.

I don't know how people buy bronze packs until they get all their unlocks, so many packs with nothing permanent in them, I can't bring myself to wasting any more points on em :<

There was one point where I was getting a permanent in 3/4ths of my bronze packs. At that rate it was far more economical to go for bronze instead of silvers.

I've got about 20common items left, and I opened 4 req packs and didn't get shit, so I graduated to silvers.

It's a lil upsetting when I spend 5000RP and get common unlocks, but I rest easy in knowing the chances of me getting better stuff is much higher AND I'm always guarunteed to unlock SOMETHING.

I know I would have WAAY more common stuff screwing up my efficiency of I had gone all silvers earlier.

TCKaos

CWQEipi.gif

O-oh... Okay.

Ramirez

Come on Frank, you guys have to put a party filter in. There's no reason I should be getting matched against teams during prime EST hours in the US.

I doubt they'd patch, I mean is it really any different than the other speed run glitches or other tactics found throughout the years?
Nevermind. I rewatched a video on how to do the skip, and I thought the glass wall wasnt there previously. Looks like you have to clamber over that too.

Did anyone else experience a huge lag spike in the last 10 - 15 minutes? In the last match I played everyone on my team experienced it near the end of the match, we were teleporting around (one player on my team it was happening to most of the match). We were all Solo-Queue players as well, so different locations and such, so it had to be server side. Didn't stop me from going 15-9 (with 6 Assists), but we still lost 50-42.

It really shouldn't take more than two guys simultaneously emptying BR clips into a Ghost's 'weakpoint' (ha!) to take it down.

Also the boarding on ghosts is super finicky as far as the speed of the ghost is concerned.

Shockingly bad game design decisions #121

In warzone, your new premier gamemode made to make you that micro transaction cash. Not a single person went, hey maybe this will get stale as fuck in 10 games with the AI spawning in the exact same area, staying in 1 spot, the exact same time every single game.

Only 3 maps? This combined with the above is brb sleeping zzzzz

Why do my teamates call signs above their head disappear after 20 feet? I shouldn't have to look down at my dudes gloves and take 1/2 a second to process it before I know if he is the enemy or my teammate.

The more I play the more I know something had to have massively gone wrong in development. But then I see Destiny and Battlefront and maybe its just the modern game industry.

BraXzy

Thoughts on being able to purchase any single item (customisation only) for Req points? Obviously based on rarity, and more expensive than a single pack. 343 could add in a Req point pack to the store that is the same price as a gold pack but for 10,000 req points. That way if you go decide you just want a gold pack you're fine.

I feel like while the Req system is cool and all, the 100% RNG is too random. It would be awesome to go.. You know what, I REALLY want the Shinobi armour. I'm going to grind up 50k Req points and buy it instead of gambling. Awesome, all that just grind just paid off. I feel like there just isn't enough stuff to aim for with a solid, attainable goal for people who like the grind.

On top of that, bring back unique armour that require specific challenges for gods sake.

It really shouldn't take more than two guys simultaneously emptying BR clips into a Ghost's 'weakpoint' (ha!) to take it down.

Also the boarding on ghosts is super finicky as far as the speed of the ghost is concerned.

Boarding in general is ridiculously finicky. In past games, it felt like if you got within touching distance at any part of an enemy vehicle, you would board it. In this sometimes I'm stood on an enemy tank and I either have no prompt or maybe I'm jumping in the turret...

Boarding in general is ridiculously finicky. In past games, it felt like if you got within touching distance at any part of an enemy vehicle, you would board it. In this sometimes I'm stood on an enemy tank and I either have no prompt or maybe I'm jumping in the turret...

I have had that happen to me with Scorpions, Ghosts, and Wraiths. Sometimes the prompt just does not show up to board the vehicle and other times it forced me into the gunner seat of a Tank and Wraith when trying to board them (even when no prompt appeared).

Thoughts on being able to purchase any single item (customisation only) for Req points? Obviously based on rarity, and more expensive than a single pack. 343 could add in a Req point pack to the store that is the same price as a gold pack but for 10,000 req points. That way if you go decide you just want a gold pack you're fine.

I feel like while the Req system is cool and all, the 100% RNG is too random. It would be awesome to go.. You know what, I REALLY want the Shinobi armour. I'm going to grind up 50k Req points and buy it instead of gambling. Awesome, all that just grind just paid off. I feel like there just isn't enough stuff to aim for with a solid, attainable goal for people who like the grind.

On top of that, bring back unique armour that require specific challenges for gods sake.

I'd be fine with something like that. Or something similar to Reach.

Reach still has my favorite unlock system in any Halo game.

Glass

I still don't understand the half baked implementation of the loot in this game. Why put them in, then make players unable to inspect you? Why have rarities if you yourself can't see them when equipping stuff?
This armour is hard enough to tell apart normally, let alone without being able to see what rarity they have. All that work into modelling different armours and the only way to tell them apart is what paint job decal they have on top.

Hrkkn1o.jpg

I still don't understand the half baked implementation of the loot in this game. Why put them in, then make players unable to inspect you? Why have rarities if you yourself can't see them when equipping stuff?
This armour is hard enough to tell apart normally, let alone without being able to see what rarity they have. All that work into modelling different armours and the only way to tell them apart is what paint job decal they have on top.

Hrkkn1o.jpg

Yeah, the only way to view Armor rarities is to view your Collection... which is odd. I find myself flipping back and forth to see which armors are Rare or Legendary when it should all be in the Customization Menu.

I think your RP / req suggestion is actually highly logical.

would encourage me to grind longer, & more often.

whereas today, for example, played 5 WZ games in a row, bought maybe 10/12 bronze packs - only got one certification unlock... got annoyed, turned off the xbone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have opened countless number of gold pack by now, still not assassination or stance :(

BraXzy

I have opened countless number of gold pack by now, still not assassination or stance :(

I got most of mine out of bronzes and silvers, give that a go. Most stances and assassinations are common/uncommon with a few rares so you have more pops at it.

So is there going to be an Arena rank reset? I'm tired of getting donged on in Slayer. I don't feel like I should be in Diamond and have a negative K/D.

TCKaos

While we're talking about REQs and stuff, what's up with the visual design of the armor in this game? Like, Halo 4 was weird and not Halo-like at all, but some of this new armor is just ridiculous. Like, yeah, I get it, you can't sit down and make 130 helmet that all look ridiculously iconic, but shit.

Let's take a look at Vale in her Copperhead variant:

You know what? Overall, that isn't bad. She looks pretty awesome. The lack of armor on her legs is kinda weird, but Copperhead has a rather slim silhouette overall so it's pretty excusable. It gives it a unique charm. The points on the back armor are a bit much, but otherwise the design is incredibly coherent. The yellow and crimson contrast rather well, as does the visor. I'd say that this is a suit of armor that is protagonist worthy.

Then we get the multiplayer Copperhead variants...

Like, what the fuck happened? This armor looked awesome in campaign, and then somebody just slapped a bunch of random-ass lines on it and dots and shit. It's just muddy and confusion visually. The colored undersuit ruins it by giving the blue no negative space. It's almost all blue or yellow, and on the FANG skin there's also white and black on the armor itself.

Pretty much every multiplayer armor follows this pattern, most of them even worse because at least the geometry of the Copperhead armor looks cool. Do you think somebody on Osiris could have worn Seeker? Or Viper? Or Breaker?

If you're going to have players pouring this much time in to the investment system then pretty much every armor should look like something the protagonist could be wearing.

Recruit? Sure. Warrior? Why not. Hermes? Centurion? Helljumper? Copperhead? Yeah. Go for it. Those all look pretty decent. But way too much of the armor in this game just veers in to "What the hell is this supposed to be? Who would actually wear this on purpose?" I feel like Reach probably did this the best, because literally every piece of armor was made so that you, as the protagonist, would look pretty iconic and heroic in all of them. I don't think you could go back to 2010 and throw a Keurig on Noble 6's head and pitch that game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
CWQEipi.gif

O-oh... Okay.
Had something similar happen where I spartan charged a guy, but all did it was shove him. Didn't scrape an ounce of health off him. I've given up, there must be like 10 other east coast players left and they aren't on if/when I play. It takes me 2-3 shots into shooting people to see my shots register on top of any other bizarre things that occur and I see people lag every other game now.

Had something similar happen where I spartan charged a guy, but all did it was shove him. Didn't scrape an ounce of health off him. I've given up, there must be like 10 other east coast players left and they aren't on if/when I play. It takes me 2-3 shots into shooting people to see my shots register on top of any other bizarre things that occur and I see people lag every other game now.

arena has been unplayable for me for the past week - I'm essentially a rubber-band Spartan.

I'm going to shoot for Iron after the rank reset.

Also, can't decide between the full Noble set (Wuv you, Reach art), and a combination of the Hellcat Armor (so sleek) and Engineer helmet.

I have had weird things like that happen as well, I post about them sometimes. I am on East Coast as well and have my shots not register correctly in some games (some days are worst then others). Like, I will get hit markers but they aren't registering the headshot damage modifier when the other player is one-shot (seems to affect the Magnum and BR more so then any other weapon). I don't know if it is a latency issue or a bug but I sometimes hear team mates complain about other players not dying when I am not experiencing any issues (and vice-versa). I have also had games that seemed mostly fine until I get one-shot by a Magnum or Battle Rifle, that happened in two separate games. I have also been two-shot by a Battle Rifle in BTB that registered as a Perfect Kill for the other player.

And speaking of Spartan Charge, I have been killed while having full health and shields by a single Spartan Charge from the front. Needless to say, I was angered, but it happened twice in the same match (I believe by the same player as well). I have the match recorded, when I upload it I will make sure to post it. It was very odd.

I have had weird things like that happen as well, I post about them sometimes. I am on East Coast as well and have my shots not register correctly in some games (some days are worst then others). Like, I will get hit markers but they aren't registering the headshot damage modifier when the other player is one-shot (seems to affect the Magnum and BR more so then any other weapon). I don't know if it is a latency issue or a bug but I sometimes hear team mates complain about other players not dying when I am not experiencing any issues (and vice-versa). I have also had games that seemed mostly fine until I get one-shot by a Magnum or Battle Rifle, that happened in two separate games. I have also been two-shot by a Battle Rifle in BTB that registered as a Perfect Kill for the other player.

And speaking of Spartan Charge, I have been killed while having full health and shields by a single Spartan Charge from the front. Needless to say, I was angered, but it happened twice in the same match (I believe by the same player as well). I have the match recorded, when I upload it I will make sure to post it. It was very odd.

Interesting.

Honestly, I've just started ignoring the hash-marks.

Glass

While we're talking about REQs and stuff, what's up with the visual design of the armor in this game? Like, Halo 4 was weird and not Halo-like at all, but some of this new armor is just ridiculous. Like, yeah, I get it, you can't sit down and make 130 helmet that all look ridiculously iconic, but shit.

Let's take a look at Vale in her Copperhead variant:

You know what? Overall, that isn't bad. She looks pretty awesome. The lack of armor on her legs is kinda weird, but Copperhead has a rather slim silhouette overall so it's pretty excusable. It gives it a unique charm. The points on the back armor are a bit much, but otherwise the design is incredibly coherent. The yellow and crimson contrast rather well, as does the visor. I'd say that this is a suit of armor that is protagonist worthy.

Then we get the multiplayer Copperhead variants...

Like, what the fuck happened? This armor looked awesome in campaign, and then somebody just slapped a bunch of random-ass lines on it and dots and shit. It's just muddy and confusion visually. The colored undersuit ruins it by giving the blue no negative space. It's almost all blue or yellow, and on the FANG skin there's also white and black on the armor itself.

Pretty much every multiplayer armor follows this pattern, most of them even worse because at least the geometry of the Copperhead armor looks cool. Do you think somebody on Osiris could have worn Seeker? Or Viper? Or Breaker?

If you're going to have players pouring this much time in to the investment system then pretty much every armor should look like something the protagonist could be wearing.

Recruit? Sure. Warrior? Why not. Hermes? Centurion? Helljumper? Copperhead? Yeah. Go for it. Those all look pretty decent. But way too much of the armor in this game just veers in to "What the hell is this supposed to be? Who would actually wear this on purpose?" I feel like Reach probably did this the best, because literally every piece of armor was made so that you, as the protagonist, would look pretty iconic and heroic in all of them. I don't think you could go back to 2010 and throw a Keurig on Noble 6's head and pitch that game.

Agreed. I'm not sure what look they were going for with the overall aesthetic for multiplayer - I imagine it's the kind of stuff that looked good as concept art, but it just looks bad in game. My biggest complaint is the coloured undersuits homogenize the look of everything. The super rare armour you've got isn't your distinguishing feature - whatever paint decal it has is. And in game they're just a mess of lines and blotches. Then you have the majority of he armour which is so stripped away it's going to look like a sports bra against a black undersuit. Definitely miss Reach's look.

Not too sure why they went for such a different look with 4 and 5, so few of the armour sets say 'Halo' to me any more. They realised it was a mistake dropping the Halo theme for 4, sort of like if you're making a Star Wars film you don't drop John Williams' themes, but then continue to design seriously weird armour pushing itself away from what people identity as Halo.

Herbs

Banned
Shockingly bad game design decisions #121

In warzone, your new premier gamemode made to make you that micro transaction cash. Not a single person went, hey maybe this will get stale as fuck in 10 games with the AI spawning in the exact same area, staying in 1 spot, the exact same time every single game.

Only 3 maps? This combined with the above is brb sleeping zzzzz

Why do my teamates call signs above their head disappear after 20 feet? I shouldn't have to look down at my dudes gloves and take 1/2 a second to process it before I know if he is the enemy or my teammate.

The more I play the more I know something had to have massively gone wrong in development. But then I see Destiny and Battlefront and maybe its just the modern game industry.

Yeah the callouts are a mess. In Warzone especially. Why do I have to be looking at the bases to see their status? Why when I'm in the Respawn screen and looking at the base can I not see the status of it so I know if it's being attacked or not and need to spawn there? Why are the bases statuses displayed when a certain distance from them? Same with the core whith its damage indicator. I have to be looking at it to see how much damage has been inflicted? Hopefully they fix this as it's pretty bad.

Trup1aya

Man, they really need to reconsider tying customization items to the Req system. I find absolutely no joy in opening a Silver and getting two rare emblems. I find no joy in unlocking armor/stances/helmets/skins of any sort, because they are meaningless, and most will go unused.

Man if they spit the system into cosmetic and game affecting packs, I'd buy some just to show my gratitude.
I just noticed that there are over 100 uncommon items fucking up my chances of getting weapon certs in my silver packs, and I nearly shed a tear.

I guess having this many items tied to RNG is supposed to make people want to spend real $ to skip the grind. But it has the opposite effect on me. If spending RP isn't going to get me what I want, there's no way I'd spend $ for the same probabilities.

BraXzy

I guess having this many items tied to RNG is supposed to make people want to spend real $ to skip the grind. But it has the opposite effect on me. If spending RP isn't going to get me what I want, there's no way I'd spend $ for the same probabilities.

The problem is, spending money hardly skips the grind at all. Even if you buy a Gold pack with real cash, if you've just bought the game, chances you're still gonna get the uncommon you would have done from the Silver which is 3 games of play.

Which is why I suggested the ability to purchase specific customisation for a premium. You could then have a satisfactory grind skip via real money, but you could also set a target and save up in-game if you so wished. And then you'd be earning something rather than RNGesus.

I think it would be great to allow people to save up REQ points for specific cosmetic items but they'd have to be careful with how they work real money into it, some people would be very quick to accuse them of fulfilling their prophecies of the REQ system slowly leading to worse and worse microtransactions. Might be better to introduce packs that are still randomised but guarantee 2 pieces of rare+ armor/helmets for the same price as a gold pack rather than allow people to buy REQ points which should remain a resource you only can gain through playing the game.

Sordid

Man, they really need to reconsider tying customization items to the Req system. I find absolutely no joy in opening a Silver and getting two rare emblems. I find no joy in unlocking armor/stances/helmets/skins of any sort, because they are meaningless, and most will go unused.

Yup, I'm the opposite though. I don't care about Warzone or unlocking weapons but I still want the pointless armour so I end up playing Warzone when I'm on solo for those req points anyway. It'd be awesome if I could skip the fluff and just unlock what I want (or at least unlock customisation packs instead of standard packs)

Monocle

Has anyone noticed the massive delay between input and execution when you melee in the air? Maybe I'm totally blanking on how it worked in previous games, but I feel like that one move is incredibly unresponsive in Halo 5. I hit the button and the melee doesn't activate for like half a second. It throws me off.

BraXzy

Has anyone noticed the massive delay between input and execution when you melee in the air? Maybe I'm totally blanking on how it worked in previous games, but I feel like that one move is incredibly unresponsive in Halo 5. I hit the button and the melee doesn't activate for like half a second. It throws me off.

It seems like melee won't happen while another action is in process. So if you just jumped, or thrusted, you've gotta finish it before you melee. Or maybe it is just a delay.

But I'd much rather it was instant regardless of what you were doing. I hate the melee atm.

Glass

The shoulder buttons on the X1 controller are so trash I couldn't tell you if it was the game or controller.

During launch the game worked. Now each week that goes by whenever I search. Exiles harder and harder for me to connect to matches. Was only able to get into one rocket game on the weekend for as well.

Trup1aya

The problem is, spending money hardly skips the grind at all. Even if you buy a Gold pack with real cash, if you've just bought the game, chances you're still gonna get the uncommon you would have done from the Silver which is 3 games of play.

Which is why I suggested the ability to purchase specific customisation for a premium. You could then have a satisfactory grind skip via real money, but you could also set a target and save up in-game if you so wished. And then you'd be earning something rather than RNGesus.

Well you could skip the grind by buying a silver instead of playing 3 games for silver.

I do see your point About buying specific items... And I don't disagree. But I don't want customization items in my req packs at all, because they are worthless to me.
So your plan doesn't help my cause if I still open up packs and get emblems and skins

All I want are weapons and vehicles

Yup, I'm the opposite though. I don't care about Warzone or unlocking weapons but I still want the pointless armour so I end up playing Warzone when I'm on solo for those req points anyway. It'd be awesome if I could skip the fluff and just unlock what I want (or at least unlock customisation packs instead of standard packs)

I bet there are plenty of people who would benefit from this one way or another. I think they actually sell more packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom