• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. I really like the simplicity of it. Plus the visor and helmet are just classic. Always felt that the armor and helmets of Halo 3 and Reach were the best. Maybe because they were simple, all utilized larger visors, and less Gundam/Anime styled robo designs.
I think the design goes a long way towards brand identity. Halo 6 multiplayer needs to be revealed with Spartans as Mk. IV, V and VI, Noble, Recruit, ODST, etc., although personally I'd prefer if Halo 6 doesn't even have a multiplayer, rather a fleshed out Firefight mode with different gametypes. Gametypes that include the standard PvE affair, but also Firefight Versus with player-controlled enemy types and an Infection mode with player-controlled Flood. I've been a broken record with this idea for years now, but there's a lot of untapped potential with something like this for the Halo franchise. So much lore, so much love behind the enemies.. Halo's needed this after we got a taste of Firefight Versus in Reach.

This would then mean Halo 5 develops into a Halo platform that receives content updates throughout the console's life. I think we have a solid base here, so I wouldn't imagine making ground-breaking changes to the gameplay unless they were going the split route of H5 Guardians gameplay and
Combat Evolved 2.
These conversations are surely being had, and I would love to be a part of them.
For those of us still itching for Mark V, using the Noble armor with Mark IV's helmet should work quite nicely as a stopgap.
Yeah that looks nice.

When a random in Warzone totally blows away your expectations and proves to be a totally competent and intelligent Warthog driver.

giphy.gif

*Friend Request sent*

Same. I really like the simplicity of it. Plus the visor and helmet are just classic. Always felt that the armor and helmets of Halo 3 and Reach were the best. Maybe because they were simple, all utilized larger visors, and less Gundam/Anime styled robo designs.

I feel like Jeremy Clarkson evaluating Japanese car design when I look at most of the Halo 4 and Halo 5 design.

PUT THE PENCIL DOWN!

Stop over-designing with so manny little details that they just get lost as visual noise and take away from the full piece.

Halo designs peaked at Reach. Tons of variety and detail, but not so much that you had multiple pieces of armor you could barely tell apart without 5 minutes of examination close up.

Trup1aya

I think the design goes a long way towards brand identity. Halo 6 multiplayer needs to be revealed with Spartans as Mk. IV, V and VI, Noble, Recruit, ODST, etc., although personally I'd prefer if Halo 6 doesn't even have a multiplayer, rather a fleshed out Firefight mode with different gametypes. Gametypes that include the standard PvE affair, but also Firefight Versus with player-controlled enemy types and an Infection mode with player-controlled Flood. I've been a broken record with this idea for years now, but there's a lot of untapped potential with something like this for the Halo franchise. So much lore, so much love behind the enemies.. Halo's needed this after we got a taste of Firefight Versus in Reach.

This would then mean Halo 5 develops into a Halo platform that receives content updates throughout the console's life. I think we have a solid base here, so I wouldn't imagine making ground-breaking changes to the gameplay unless they were going the split route of H5 Guardians gameplay and
Combat Evolved 2.
These conversations are surely being had, and I would love to be a part of them.

Yeah that looks nice.

Your PvE suggestions are welcome and it's definately something this franchise needs... I'd be all for the MP in future xb1 halo titles simply being a continuation of H5's existing MP...

Welfare

I'd like some confirmation on whether or not forge maps count towards the 18+ maps we're getting for free.

Update looks to be massive.

Trup1aya

I'd like some confirmation on whether or not forge maps count towards the 18+ maps we're getting for free.

I'd like a confirmation on that as well. But I suspect that we'll know the answer to that in June, when we tally up out DLC content.

I'm generally pleased with how informative this community update has been, but there are still some burning questions I'd like to have answered.

Glass

I feel like Jeremy Clarkson evaluating Japanese car design when I look at most of the Halo 4 and Halo 5 design.

PUT THE PENCIL DOWN!

Stop over-designing with so manny little details that they just get lost as visual noise and take away from the full piece.

Halo designs peaked at Reach. Tons of variety and detail, but not so much that you had multiple pieces of armor you could barely tell apart without 5 minutes of examination close up.

+ 1. It's so hard to read most of the armour in this game.

clav

Warzone is terrible solo.

So many terrible randoms.

Why can't players mute in lobby? Why isn't there a feature to mute like voice_enable 0 in CS?

JackHerer

Well that was a solid update. At least they confirmed new gametypes are in the works. Social and JiP BTB will be very nice and 6 player FFA is exactly what I was hoping for but was totally not expecting. Only truly good FFA games I've had so far have been after a few players quit. Will definitely play a lot more FFA once this drops.

The Warzone map seems interesting. Looks like a very different layout from the other maps which is a very good thing.

Warzone is terrible solo.

So many terrible randoms.

Why can't players mute in lobby? Why isn't there a feature to mute like voice_enable 0 in CS?
I had a lot of teammates at idle tonight in Warzone assault. I bet it was to boost for the championship req.

Edit: I mute everyone but my friends through the settings in the Xbox OS.

Leyasu

Banned
Great update..

Social playlists with jip = where I will spend my time I think. Please as there is no ranks, let us choose the location!! There is no excuse not to now..

Also 343 you must like money. Let us buy the armor/cosmetics that we want. This will print money.

Cranster

Banned
Won a BTB match of Strongholds in a huge upset. For some reason my team did not capture our base Stronghold and we were losing horribly. Red Team had around 127 points and we had only 3 points exactly mid-way through the game. Somehow though we got our "A game" on and we were able to co-ordinate and lock down all 3 Strongholds and win the match by 22 points.

Only in Halo would that happen... Red Team must have been raging.

malfcn

Jesus.
I carry the team and have a 2.1 kd
One guy is 4-11 on our team..everyone is under. 4-.5 and the other team is all positive kd.

And I get ranked down? Please.

jfoul

So no gametypes got it.

In the December update? We're getting Social Playlists, but it looks like the only change to ranked is FFA going to 6 players.

Additionally, social playlists - one of which will be Big Team Battle - will arrive with this next update. Limited join-in-progress windows will be turned back on to allow for full matches of vehicular mayhem at (nearly) all times, and as a note, all social playlists will feature appropriate join-in-progress windows. We know you also want a mix of non-BTB social modes, and we’ll have a mix of currently available modes in a social playlist too - more on that next week.

Oh, and while we’re talking playlists, the Cartographer’s Gift update will indeed include a Warzone Assault update to ensure players do things in the right order.

WTF is wrong with the melee in this game?

Sometimes theres a lunge, sometimes theres not. Why? How hard is it to make a fucking consistent experience?

Leyasu

Banned
WTF is wrong with the melee in this game?

Sometimes theres a lunge, sometimes theres not. Why? How hard is it to make a fucking consistent experience?
Ping is is the reason.

Low ping server = shorter lunge range

High ping server = longer lunge range

I have had them slide around corners to mêlée me on some out of region servers.

Vico

Great update for sure. I hope we get just as much good stuff in january.

Yeah, they really need to explain that. If they count, that means we're already at 8 maps on the 18 promised. That's a lot, and it would be disappointing if we only had 10 more maps up to june.

(We know about The Rig's and Fathom's remixes, so that's actually 10 known maps on the 18 to be released)

Trup1aya

Won a BTB match of Strongholds in a huge upset. For some reason my team did not capture our base Stronghold and we were losing horribly. Red Team had around 127 points and we had only 3 points exactly mid-way through the game. Somehow though we got our "A game" on and we were able to co-ordinate and lock down all 3 Strongholds and win the match by 22 points.

Only in Halo would that happen... Red Team must have been raging.

Strongholds is an amazing gametype, especially in BTB... The comeback potential is really something else.

I had a game earlier this week and we were up 136-0.
I guess my whole team took them for scrubs, next think we knew, they captured everything and went on a 56pt run. We still ended up winning. But they caused quite a scare.

Trup1aya

So no gametypes got it.

I dunno, there were some comments in the CU that made me think we may see other gametypes in Friday's stream

There’s more to come in the December update (join us next Friday to see some of it in action) and lots more happening here across the entire studio. The Warzone team is currently running final tests on updates to Warzone level progression, the multiplayer team is hammering on new playlists and modes, the services team is actively making updates to increase ban length for excessive quitting, and plenty of other stuff we’ll soon be diving into. Oh, and we’re moving to a new building next month. We’ll be sure to show you around.

Man I wish they would just be frank about the situation. I can't tell if this means we'll see the game modes they are working on in December, or if he's just letting us know that they are working on new modes in general.

Won't hold my breath though

Ping is is the reason.

Low ping server = shorter lunge range

High ping server = longer lunge range

I have had them slide around corners to mêlée me on some out of region servers.

That makes a lot of sense, did find melee to be really inconsistent at times.

Akai__

Week of 15th is good enough for me, as long as we get more variety and fun out of it. Shouldn't be too difficult with Forge comming.

The first thing I will probably do is remake the Hydro Warmup map from Halo 3. Nice Magnum/BR/DMR training with Shield Vampirism and focus on strafing. That's a must have for warmups, at least for me. Not sure if Octagon will work with mirrored spawns, but that's also on my list. We'll see.

I'm surprised they didn't mention map rotation, because sometimes I see streams where people end up playing the same map like 4 times in a row. It's not very ideal, given that you don't have a Veto system. Would love an improvement there. And Good news on the CSR update. Hope it works out as planned. Seeing so many people reaching Onyx, while they win 1 of 10 placement matches was pretty dumb. Hope Diamond (or even Platinum?!) is the maximum of what people can reach, after the first 10 initial placement matches.

Welfare

I'm surprised they didn't mention map rotation, because sometimes I see streams where people end up playing the same map like 4 times in a row. It's not very ideal, given that you don't have a Veto system. Would love an improvement there.

I've always thought an improvement would be to rethink how weighting is applied and instead have maps be on set rotation. A brand new lobby of players would start on map 1 and would not go back to map 1 until all other maps have been played.

This allows players to play every map and not have maps repeat ~10 times in a row *cough*ARC*cough*.

Now of course, players do not like some maps and favor others. With this system, players would be able to select maps that they want to start in least and maps that they want to play on more.

To explain this, the player would be able to go into a playlist and see what maps are in it. Depending on the amount of maps in the playlist, the amount of maps they can select for weighting varies.

Let us assume it is Team Slayer and there are 8 maps.

Coliseum
Eden
Empire
Fathom
Plaza
Regret
The Rig
Truth

The player could select 3 (just an example) maps they want to play the least and 3 they want to play more of.

[√] = Favor | [X] Lower

Coliseum [√]
Eden [X]
Empire [√]
Fathom [X]
Plaza
Regret [X]
The Rig
Truth [√]

Now the matchmaking system will attempt to match the player into a lobby that is on one of the favored maps or at worst the map right before it, because the new map system is on a rotation.

Like so (example)

Coliseum -> Eden -> Regret -> Fathom -> Plaza -> Truth -> Empire -> The Rig -> Coliseum -> etc etc.

So in the previous example, the player has Coliseum marked as [√], so the matchmaking would attempt to put him in a lobby that is going to be loading up this map, but because it happens to be the first map in the rotation, it can also start a brand new lobby rotation for players to jump into.

Now then, Eden is the second map in the rotation, so after the Coliseum game, it loads up that map, for the regular lobby. The player has it marked as [X], so the game will attempt to either put the player in a lobby with the next [√], or a map that the player did not put weighting to, with the [√] map having more priority for searching. That would mean the game is now trying to find a lobby that has Truth or Plaza.

Ideally, the [X] maps would still get played eventually, but it is statistically improbable for it happening.

Now say a player gives no fucks about weighting and all that and just wants to play Slayer for 2 hours. They just load into the playlist, start at map 1, and play without maps repeating until the cycle begins anew.

This system allows those to play on maps they generally like more while at the same time, players can also ignore this system and just go on a streak of different maps. This system would also help 343 get even more info on favored/disliked maps as the player can now give that type of input without having to go on social media/forums.

It's like 8 in the morning so I tried to make sure this was comprehensible. If not I'm sorry, I could try explaining this more later.

Sounds like this is going to be an awesome update all around! I am very relieved to see some kind of file sharing will be there for Forge, even if it's not as thorough as it could be/might become yet. Social BTB will probably replace WZ Assault as my go-to choice for relaxed games.

The next two things I really want to see are the return of all the classic game modes and some kind of PVE mode. But yeah, kudos to 343i for really putting the work in and genuinely improving the game based on fan feedback.

Trup1aya

What are the forge maps that were released on at launch? I guess Breakout maps are included.

Breakout maps And Orion and Pegasus

Forge maps were counted in the "18 maps at launch", so I think we know the answer to that already.

I'll feel so mislead, used, and abused if these Forge BTB maps end up counting toward the 18. Within the next 2 weeks we will have gotten our 6th Forge post launch map. This would mean approx. 1/3 of our "req funded" maps were actually made by the Halo community, not 343...

Using the req system to fund future content sounded great when they announced it. But if they are just gonna take the money, and then give us a bunch content that would have been free anyway, they lose my vote of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom