• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Whatever.

Between:

A wretched campaign
Last-shot boss kills on Warzone
Map design like Pegasus, Orion, and Eden (frankly, there is ONE legitimately great original map in this game, and that's Coliseum)
A boost ability that will stop dead on a 2inch incline at the bottom edge of a ramp or any other small gradation in terrain
Maps filled with pointless, decorative 'furniture' that's too small to serve as cover and serves no purpose other than getting players caught in the middle of fire-fights,
Nonsensical matchmaking,
The worst spawn AI I've ever encountered
Terrible deadzones and stick acceleration,
A lack of staple game-modes,

...there's plenty to question about the talent on this team, from the designers all the way down to the play-testers.

I'm glad they were able to clean up the dump they themselves took on the floor with Halo 4 and put together a game with strong core shooting and movement mechanics. The quality we've come from Halo goes beyond core mechanics to the full player experience.
Almost every single one of those points is questionable.

RSB

Banned
It's good halo. Most of your complaints are either greatly exaggerated (spawns) or misguided (matchmaking).
Yep, it's the most I've had with a Halo game since at least Halo 3, and when it comes to the gunplay, it's probably the best since CE. Sure, the game is lacking in some areas (it needs more features and game modes) but it's definitely a great shooter and a good Halo.

Bad Halo is still better, or more atuned to my shooter tastes, than a lot of what's on the market.

I know I'm getting Rainbow Six for the holidays, so that will probably cut down the time I play Halo 5.

But make no mistake. Halo 5 is bad Halo. 343i only makes bad Halo. Because they're B-tier talent.

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-S-NWLY.gif

The Antitype said:
Between:

1. A wretched campaign
  2. Last-shot boss kills on Warzone
  3. Map design like Pegasus, Orion, and Eden (frankly, there is ONE legitimately great original map in this game, and that's Coliseum)
  4. A boost ability that will stop dead on a 2inch incline at the bottom edge of a ramp or any other small gradation in terrain
  5. Maps filled with pointless, decorative 'furniture' that's too small to serve as cover and serves no purpose other than getting players caught in the middle of fire-fights,
  6. Nonsensical matchmaking,
  7. The worst spawn AI I've ever encountered
  8. Terrible deadzones and stick acceleration,
  9. A lack of staple game-modes

I added numbers for convenience.

1. "Wretched"? No, not wretched. Flatly written and developed, yes, but it was very fun.
  2. Welcome to MOBA-inspiration. You can leave your salt wherever you want.
  3. Pegasus is sloppy, but has promise. Orion was removed to be tweaked. And frankly, I enjoy Eden; it's not the best map, but it's far from the worst (I feel The Rig is more deserving of that moniker).
  4. Haven't experienced such a bug with the thrusters after nearly a day of accumulated playtime.
  5. In Plaza? Sure. But not in every map. For the most part, maps are really easy to navigate, and I haven't encountered much obstruction outside of Plaza.
  6. I've said it many times before: I fucking hate that solo players can match full teams, but that's it.
  7. Naw, they're not great, but they're definitely not that bad. BTB spawns need work, though, as everyone can attest (especially on Deadlock, which is pretty awful to begin with).
  8. Never had an issue with that. Sorry it happened to you.
  9. Yep. But we're getting them this week.

jem0208

H5's is easily the most fun I've had playing a Halo campaign.

It doesn't have the best storyline but the level design and gameplay is so damn good that it doesn't matter to me.

Maps filled with pointless, decorative 'furniture' that's too small to serve as cover and serves no purpose other than getting players caught in the middle of fire-fights,

This is a good point. A lot of 343 Halo maps are cluttered to death and it really ruins the map flow. The best example that springs to mind is the Halo 4 map Solace, walking around on that map is a damn chore because it has STUFF everywhere.

Lots of classic Halo maps that play well are actually really bland when it comes to cluttering but that is just my opinion.

This is a good point. A lot of 343 Halo maps are cluttered to death and it really ruins the map flow. The best example that springs to mind is the Halo 4 map Solace, walking around on that map is a damn chore because it has STUFF everywhere.

Lots of classic Halo maps that play well are actually really bland when it comes to cluttering but that is just my opinion.

Checks name

Knows that you know Robbert

Opinion invalidated

post-31074-J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-gif-S-NWLY.gif

I added numbers for convenience.

1. "Wretched"? No, not wretched. Flatly written and developed, yes, but it was very fun.
  2. Welcome to MOBA-inspiration. You can leave your salt wherever you want.
  3. Pegasus is sloppy, but has promise. Orion was removed to be tweaked. And frankly, I enjoy Eden; it's not the best map, but it's far from the worst (I feel The Rig is more deserving of that moniker).
  4. Haven't experienced such a bug with the thrusters after nearly a day of accumulated playtime.
  5. In Plaza? Sure. But not in every map. For the most part, maps are really easy to navigate, and I haven't encountered much obstruction outside of Plaza.
  6. I've said it many times before: I fucking hate that solo players can match full teams, but that's it.
  7. Naw, they're not great, but they're definitely not that bad. BTB spawns need work, though, as everyone can attest (especially on Deadlock, which is pretty awful to begin with).
  8. Never had an issue with that. Sorry it happened to you.
    [*]Yep. But we're getting them this week.

can you clarify this one for me? we're getting gametypes this week? since when?

Akai__

can you clarify this one for me? we're getting gametypes this week? since when?

Really!? If true, color me excited. Have a link to the info i could read up on?

Not true. We are getting a stream the upcomming Friday and the new DLC is launching in the week of the 15th. They have shown 2 "new" gametypes, but those are unlimited CTF and unlimited Slayer.

If there's anything to add there, they will say that on the stream on Friday.

Not true. We are getting a stream the upcomming Friday and the new DLC is launching in the week of the 15th. They have shown 2 "new" gametypes, but those are unlimited CTF and unlimited Slayer.

damn, i didnt think so. bummer. what are unlimited ctf and slayer?

Bummer... but thanks for the info! :(

Trup1aya

I'd appreciate if matchmaking considered whether folks are in a party or not when matchmaking... Beyond that, the matchmaking seems fine.

Antitype just doesn't understand that matchmaking system. He thinks it should be all about making sure everyone in the match has the same rank next to their name.

In reality it's about trying to get setup close matches. The division you are ranked in is just one peice of the puzzle.

The picture he posted with face palm says it all.
He actually played as well or better than the people he was matched against, an his team had a close victory, but he's upset because everyone was a diamond except for him.

Closer inspection reveals that he actually had a higher ranking at some point, but blew it due to being a rampant quitter. He'd probably be a diamond. He's currently in the top 16% of platinum... But being matches against people tier 1 diamonds is horrendous?

So the system is matching him against equal opponents... As its designed to do. His K/d is just .99 and his win % is over 65 (bolstered by matches he DNF). Ironically, many of the games he quit (because of the ranking system?) ended up narrow losses.

Akai__

damn, i didnt think so. bummer. what are unlimited ctf and slayer?

If I understood correctly, it's going to be CTF and Slayer, but only with a time limit. No "capture 3 flags first" or "get 50 kills first" limit.

Only saw these in the video, but I'm not sure if they will work like people think they will. Here is the timestamp. Look at the bottom right corner, when the Overgrowth footage comes up.

If I understood correctly, it's going to be CTF and Slayer, but only with a time limit. No "capture 3 flags first" or "get 50 kills first" limit.

Only saw these in the video, but I'm not sure if they will work like people think they will.

i guess...thats....something!

guys???? guys?????????????

Sai

Almost finished with my Rare Armor/Helmet drops. Got a number of weapons, and vehicles I still need Certifications for... And, of course, all the Emblems I have no interest in. :p Really wish they weren't even in the rotation. In fact, I sincerely hope that they tie a lot more of these Emblem/Armor/Helmet unlocks to Commendations & Achievements next time around.

Gauss/Tundra Gauss Warthogs, Loathsome Thing, and Corp Scorpion from the Premium REQ Packs this week.

[EDIT] - And a Sentinel BR with hard light projectiles from a Silver Pack! Only a couple of more BR unlocks to go!

Akai__

i guess...thats....something!

guys???? guys?????????????

It certainly is something, but I see lots of quitters in these gametypes. See Halo Reach for reference.

[EDIT] - And a Sentinel BR with hard light projectiles from a Silver Pack! Only a couple of more BR unlocks to go!

Sentinel BR's are the most claustrophobic guns I have ever used in a game. That scope is terrible. I prefer the Longshot BR's over any other version. They are pretty awesome, especially the silenced one.

Trup1aya

It certainly is something, but I see lots of quitters in these gametypes. See Halo Reach for reference.

Is your knowledge of the upcoming gametypes based on the trailer footage or some other source?

Edit:
Yeah, you can see a couple of shots that have Unlimited CTF and Unlimited Slayer called out as gametypes. There could be more, of course, but those are the only two we know of for sure.

Hopefully, Those are just dev gametypes for testing purposes. We need new gametypes, not more variants. And these two just sound boring.

Is your knowledge of the upcoming gametypes based on the trailer footage or some other source?

Yeah, you can see a couple of shots that have Unlimited CTF and Unlimited Slayer called out as gametypes. There could be more, of course, but those are the only two we know of for sure.

Akai__

You can only see those 2 gametypes in the trailer, but you don't see what they are actually about, if that's what you mean? I obviously have no clue how these gametypes will work, but it's not like there's much room for interpretation when it says "Unlimited Kills" for example.

I also don't know if that's all of the gametypes. That's why I said they have only shown these in the trailer. AFAIK, the bulletin also teased other gametypes? Or was that people speculating? I don't know.

Sai

Sentinel BR's are the most claustrophobic guns I have ever used in a game. That scope is terrible. I prefer the Longshot BR's over any other version. They are pretty awesome, especially the silenced one.
I love the adjustable magnification, but that glare/reflection is super annoying. It doesn't even make sense from a canonical standpoint; "Smart-Link" wouldn't have them literally looking down the scope like that. It was likely done for balancing purposes, but there had to be a better way of going about it.

Do Sentinel DMRs use the exact same scope? I hope not.

[EDIT] - I really like the concept of Smart-Link, how they didn't turn it into simple ADS, and made it a universal function across the entire weapon sandbox that suits Halo. However, going forward, I hope 343i makes Smart-Link with actual scopes more akin to what we're used to in past games. If they can find a way to make a seamless animation that better mimics the classic zoom for weapons like the DMR, Longshot AR/BR, Sentinel BR/DMR... Well, I'd be thrilled.

You can only see those 2 gametypes in the trailer, but you don't see what they are actually about, if that's what you mean? I obviously have no clue how these gametypes will work, but it's not like there's much room for interpretation when it says "Unlimited Kills" for example.

I also don't know if that's all of the gametypes. That's why I said they have only shown these in the trailer. AFAIK, the bulletin also teased other gametypes? Or was that people speculating? I don't know.

Would be very nice to get a few of the missing game types in this next update!

I would LOVE to see this but considering how much meat there already is to this update I'm keeping my hopes low. Would be weird to release Forge without Assault though, no Griffball?

Trup1aya

I would LOVE to see this but considering how much meat there already is to this update I'm keeping my hopes low. Would be weird to release Forge without Assault though, no Griffball?

It would be extremely weird to launch forge w/o Assualt...

But it's also weird to launch a halo game w/o oddball, koth, juggernaut, BTB etc

Put nothing passed them

Ramirez

I love the adjustable magnification, but that glare/reflection is super annoying. It doesn't even make sense from a canonical standpoint; "Smart-Link" wouldn't have them literally looking down the scope like that. It was likely done for balancing purposes, but there had to be a better way of going about it.

Do Sentinel DMRs use the exact same scope?

I don't think they exist? Pretty sure it's just regular and horned BR sight DMRs.

Fuchsdh

Do Sentinel DMRs use the exact same scope?

As you say, it's balancing. I agree that they are kind of frustrating to use at most ranges, so unless you're trying to camp a position you're better off with another variant.

Sorta' like the scoped AR variant I have. The weapon is damn difficult to hit anything scoped in, but I keep it for the anti-vehicular rounds. Once I get REQ level 3 I've got bette options.

It would be extremely weird to launch forge w/o Assualt...

But it's also weird to launch a halo game w/o oddball, koth, juggernaut, BTB etc

Put nothing passed them

Exactly. Anything can happen with Halo nowadays it seems. That said... i really can't see them launching without Assault in Forge.

Akai__

Do Sentinel DMRs use the exact same scope? I hope not.

[EDIT] - I really like the concept of Smart-Link, how they didn't turn it into simple ADS, and made it a universal function across the entire weapon sandbox that suits Halo. However, going forward, I hope 343i makes Smart-Link with actual scopes more akin to what we're used to in past games. If they can find a way to make a seamless animation that better mimics the classic zoom for weapons like the DMR, Longshot AR/BR, Sentinel BR/DMR... Well, I'd be thrilled.

This whole Smart Link stuff doesn't make any sense to begin with, but 343i gotta put the lore into MP. I got used to it, but I still would have prefered normal zoom, instead of this ADS hybrid.
Just personal preference, so don't kill me. :p

Oh and those scopes would be much better, if Quickscoping would actually work in Halo 5. In previous Halo games, when you hold the zoom button it would zoom once and if you released it, it would unzoom. Even the Sniper doesn't have it.

Yup. Have nothing to add here.

Probably the worst decision they made with Halo 5 launch. That and the inflated map count. Halo 6 is 343i being generous and saying: "Look at all these gametypes and maps we have at launch!!!" I see it comming.

Ramirez

Social can't come fast enough, this game is a miserable experience by yourself in Onyx. Taking forever to find games and when it does, it's always premade groups, meh.

Warzone Packs:
Only two notable things i guess...

7944b113-0662-4e08-8cc4-096e0a4042a2

and

855df1e9-c754-4e2e-a691-1d8997c7b802

Superheating exotic nuclear isomers is pure folly, but it was done with the best of intentions. Advanced Plasma Pistol with overcharged shots that create an unstable gravimetric vortex at point of impact, pulling in nearby objects then exploding.

^this will be a good Tank/Wraith disrupter.

yeup,, armors were common/uncommin.

link1201

Social can't come fast enough, this game is a miserable experience by yourself in Onyx. Taking forever to find games and when it does, it's always premade groups, meh.
I get how that would be a pain. However, sitting right in the middle of the bell curve has been awesome for me. Good matches against people I can kill as opposed to playing against people who move around the map killing everyone like ninjas. lol

Herbs

Banned
Warzone Packs:
Only two notable things i guess...

7944b113-0662-4e08-8cc4-096e0a4042a2

and

855df1e9-c754-4e2e-a691-1d8997c7b802

Superheating exotic nuclear isomers is pure folly, but it was done with the best of intentions. Advanced Plasma Pistol with overcharged shots that create an unstable gravimetric vortex at point of impact, pulling in nearby objects then exploding.

^this will be a good Tank/Wraith disrupter.

yeup,, armors were common/uncommin.

Void's Tear is great for inside the armory's

Void's Tear is great for inside the armory's

I felt the wrather of this last night while driving a tank. I was defending the core and well, that plasma pistol just laid waste to me as i sat there unable to do anything except die pretty quickly from his teammates. lol

Ramirez

I get how that would be a pain. However, sitting right in the middle of the bell curve has been awesome for me. Good matches against people I can kill as opposed to playing against people who move around the map killing everyone like ninjas. lol

I've tried to stay positive on the subject. But losing the overwhelming vast majority of the time and being locked down on maps because of team work really gets to you when it happens every single time you try to play 4v4.

Herbs

Banned
I felt the wrather of this last night while driving a tank. I was defending the core and well, that plasma pistol just laid waste to me as i sat there unable to do anything except die pretty quickly from his teammates. lol

It's awesome when you fire it into a group and they get sucked in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom