• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

link1201

Can't wait for social BTB. As fun as it is getting ranked, there's plenty of other playlists to do that in. As I'm getting higher in BTB, I'm no longer even looking at the rocket hogs because I can see the enemy getting an easy two kills, but gunning it around a map and blowing up in glorious fashion with another person crazy enough to get into the warthog with you is exactly what BTB is all about.
It's way too easy to kill the gunner in Warthogs ATM. I would love an adjust to magnetism or hit boxes. As it is now just shooting in the general vicinity of a warthog seems to hit the gunner before anything else.

They are far from perfect and of course they've made some bad choices but to act like most of their decisions are completely illogical is just silly.

To just assume the worst outcome given all the improvements in the pipeline already... I dont even...

Well i used to think logically about the upcoming updates. But haven't we all seen evidence of the opposite being true? (still using FORGE for btb? social playlists info of vagueness?, gametypes of vagueness? firefight silence? just a few examples)

Come one now, i used to copy and paste their direct quotes to the people complaining and professed a higher positive tune than more. lol

I've crossed the line of being logical to base my assumptions of how [B ]their [/B]pattern has been and currently is. I mean, we were expecting logical updates, but nope. When you generate more questions than answers from a post, is that good?

I'm very excited for the improvements, don't get me wrong. The updates in the pipe-line are very hype inducing, but most of it should have already been in the game from the get-go. Just kind of beat down a little, more so with how they deliver information to us.

But you're right Strider, i should bury these thoughts and be patient.

link1201

They probably won't do it but I'd love an option to select the beta aiming setup. I'm afraid if I have to mess with the variables I'll screw it all up.

They probably won't do it but I'd love an option to select the beta aiming setup. I'm afraid if I have to mess with the variables I'll screw it all up.

Haha right? I'll be looking for some assistance on how to set it up like the beta too. I felt like i had god aim. Perfects everywhere.

Glass

Newest Halo short vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8JV0-0xhc

Lindsay-Lohan-Drink-Spill-Reaction-Gif-In-Mean-Girls.gif

E92 M3

I still would like a logical explanation on why the "pro team" decided it's good to change the aiming from the beta when not a single soul complained lol.

Strider

I still would like a logical explanation on why the "pro team" decided it's good to change the aiming from the beta when not a single soul complained lol.

Ghost said in a reddit post they changed it because they felt this was better.

Link

I think that "it wil get much better in practice" could possibly ring true for those that play Halo and only Halo. But I think they forgot that people bounce between games all the time and readjusting the this aiming system is tough when you have to do it over and over again

pieface

Does anyone else find that Deadlock seems to be weighted heavier in BTB? I play that map so much, and its my least favourite. So sick of getting DMR'd at spawn.

E92 M3

Link

I think that "it wil get much better in practice" could possibly ring true for those that play Halo and only Halo. But I think they forgot that people bounce between games all the time and readjusting the this aiming system is tough when you have to do it over and over again

That's certainly not logical considering their feelings do not scale to the population of players. And that's why I always say that 343 should step letting the pro team have so much influence over everything.

"Hey guys, the aiming in the beta felt great, but lets change it and make it more annoying."

pieface

Cant wait for the ranks to reset. In my placement matches i am going to purposely be rubbish. After stupidly getting put in Diamond in Slayer I've had to pretty much avoid the game mode all together since launch due to getting absolutely spanked every game. Got no interest in that happening again.

This happened earlier, I was so happy Haha http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/P1EFACE/video/13129190

Link

Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood how that makes any sense. The other Halo games rarely received complaints on the aiming other than H3, so can anyone one explain it?

Not true. We are getting a stream the upcomming Friday and the new DLC is launching in the week of the 15th. They have shown 2 "new" gametypes, but those are unlimited CTF and unlimited Slayer.

If there's anything to add there, they will say that on the stream on Friday.

Social playlists, as shown in the community update.

Akai__

That's certainly not logical considering their feelings do not scale to the population of players. And that's why I always say that 343 should step letting the pro team have so much influence over everything.

"Hey guys, the aiming in the beta felt great, but lets change it and make it more annoying."

I don't understand this whole "Pro Team has to approve first" stuff. As if developers can't approve that stuff on their own. They throw this phrase arround for every tiny decision, which is questionable.

Social playlists, as shown in the community update.

I think you are confusing Social Playlists with new game modes here. Besides that, where did they say next week? All I see is "On next week’s Halo Livestream" and update "set to drop the week of December 15".

Whatever.

Between:

A wretched campaign
Last-shot boss kills on Warzone
Map design like Pegasus, Orion, and Eden (frankly, there is ONE legitimately great original map in this game, and that's Coliseum)
A boost ability that will stop dead on a 2inch incline at the bottom edge of a ramp or any other small gradation in terrain
Maps filled with pointless, decorative 'furniture' that's too small to serve as cover and serves no purpose other than getting players caught in the middle of fire-fights,
Nonsensical matchmaking,
The worst spawn AI I've ever encountered
Terrible deadzones and stick acceleration,
A lack of staple game-modes,

...there's plenty to question about the talent on this team, from the designers all the way down to the play-testers.

I'm glad they were able to clean up the dump they themselves took on the floor with Halo 4 and put together a game with strong core shooting and movement mechanics. The quality we've come from Halo goes beyond core mechanics to the full player experience.

I mean, I agree with you antitype - it's no Titanfall at least. ;p

(but it's freaking awesome)

E92 M3

I don't understand this whole "Pro Team has to approve first" stuff. As if developers can't approve that stuff on their own. They throw this phrase arround for every tiny decision, which is questionable.

I think you are confusing Social Playlists with new game modes here. Besides that, where did they say next week? All I see is "On next week’s Halo Livestream" and update "set to drop the week of December 15".

I don't get it either. Pro team should be only involved with balancing weapons.

maximrace

I think 343 values the pro team so much because they got a lot of flak for Halo 4 not being balanced enough. I think it's a great idea to have such a team in your studio but you should also be aware that pro's don't think the same as the general gamer

Trup1aya

Why do people keep insisting that pro team has so much influence...

Reading that post, it sounds like they simply ran it by pro team, who is an important play test group, before coming to the decision as a team.... After much consideration and debate.

Beyond fooling with the builds. And giving feedback, it doesn't sound like pro team had much say in any final decisions. They certainly aren't calling the shots.

Ramirez

This game probably wouldn't be any where as good as it is without the pro team, but you're still completely delusional if you think they have any kind of final say over team members who have years of experience and seniority.

IHaveIce

Banned
We need social playlists.. wanted to get a friend into playing Halo but since he was playing with us he always played Plats and Diamonds as his first enemies in Halo at all.

BraXzy

I get wrecked so bad if I'm not consistantly playing this game. I've only been hopping on for a few matches every other day and it feels like I've never played, every damn time. I really hope this aim update fixes the feel of it.

link1201

I get wrecked so bad if I'm not consistantly playing this game. I've only been hopping on for a few matches every other day and it feels like I've never played, every damn time. I really hope this aim update fixes the feel of it.
I totally get rusty if I don't play often.

Leyasu

Banned
I always get BASIN.

I've only played the Headlong remake twice.. tis was fun times.

I don't mind basin. But I'm sorry to the person who made recurve, because that map is pretty bad imo. The others are pretty good and I really like deadlock..

Snpiers on deadlock would be great I reckon.

Akai__

Stream just got reconfirmed. Friday @ 3PM PT on twitch.tv/halo.

This game probably wouldn't be any where as good as it is without the pro team, but you're still completely delusional if you think they have any kind of final say over team members who have years of experience and seniority.

I don't think anybody believes them, when they say "Pro Team needs to approve". Like you said, they may have made the game better with their feedback etc, but there is no way they have any saying in major decisions.

E92 M3

Why do people keep insisting that pro team has so much influence...

Reading that post, it sounds like they simply ran it by pro team, who is an important play test group, before coming to the decision as a team.... After much consideration and debate.

Beyond fooling with the builds. And giving feedback, it doesn't sound like pro team had much say in any final decisions. They certainly aren't calling the shots.

On stream Quinn was saying how much the pro team helped them design the maps and mp. They are rather influential.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The Update Stream last month was fantastic, minor niggles aside, I am really happy they are doing more.

I honestly think it's because of their input, along with good decision making and fine development, that we have probably the best mechanical Halo ever. The controls, the gunplay, movement, feedback - it's all the best it has ever been.

However, the game itself seems to been more balanced towards competitive players. Launching with Ranked only playlists, no non-Arena playlists outside of Warzone. Felt like the competitive community got a full suite of modes and features and everyone else got shafted and rolled into the Warzone. No BTB, Social Hoppers and Forge at launch justify felt like an odd set of priorities.

Just feels like if Forge received even a fraction of the support their multi-million dollar e-sports grab received, it might seem like a more balanced package.

Ramirez

The Update Stream last month was fantastic, minor niggles aside, I am really happy they are doing more.

I honestly think it's because of their input, along with good decision making and fine development, that we have probably the best mechanical Halo ever. The controls, the gunplay, movement, feedback - it's all the best it has ever been.

However, the game itself seems to been more balanced towards competitive players. Launching with Ranked only playlists, no non-Arena playlists outside of Warzone. Felt like the competitive community got a full suite of modes and features and everyone else got shafted and rolled into the Warzone. No BTB, Social Hoppers and Forge at launch justify felt like an add set of priorities.

Just feels like if Forge received even a fraction of the support their multi-million dollar e-sports grab received, it might seem like a more balanced package.

I feel they went hard on competitive this time because a huge complaint of Halo 4 was that it was casual as fuck. They can't please everyone, I suppose.

Strider

F I N A L L Y

I managed to grind my way up to Onyx by solo queuing. god damn this was hard for me lol I'm really not that good and get shit on a good bit so whenever someone starts blaming their teammates because of their inability to rank up I'm just gonna redirect them to this post.

This was my post after solo queuing my way from Plat 1 to Diamond

I'm now at 374 games in the slayer playlist which means it took me 326 games to reach Onyx from Diamond 1. What a grind rofl

Anyway that's the only playlist I really care about so I'm happy with that. Now I can get shit on and not worry about deranking.

Good day

F I N A L L Y

I managed to grind my way up to Onyx by solo queuing. god damn this was hard for me lol I'm really not that good and get shit on a good bit so whenever someone starts blaming their teammates because of their inability to rank up I'm just gonna redirect them to this post.

This was my post after solo queuing my way from Plat 1 to Diamond

I'm now at 374 games in the slayer playlist which means it took me 326 games to reach Onyx from Diamond 1. What a grind rofl

Anyway that's the only playlist I really care about so I'm happy with that. Now I can get shit on and not worry about deranking.

Good day

How many games did it take you to go from D6 to Onyx? Is it a longer jump then any of the other rankings?

Tawpgun

I feel they went hard on competitive this time because a huge complaint of Halo 4 was that it was casual as fuck. They can't please everyone, I suppose.

Their big mistake was going all in on a competitive base and not giving anything for casual players besides warzone.

What this community and many others were advocating during Halo 4 is they need to have the base game be competetive. Which they nailed.

I think if forge, more gametypes, BTB, and a few social playlists were shipped people wouldn't have been as burned out on it.

Strider

How many games did it take you to go from D6 to Onyx?

oh ummm that depends. You mean the very first time I hit Diamond 6? I've no idea. I once hit Diamond 6 then went all the way back to Diamond 2 lol I hit D6 and dropped down several times overall though...

Probably at least 150 games in total from the very first time I hit D6 if that's what we're going off of.

Edit: Oh I see the second half of your post now. Nah I don't think it's a longer jump in terms of wins needed. I think you'll get Onyx with 5 more wins than losses once you hit D6 (there are variables though such as the competition faced but as a general rule of thumb).

Ramirez

Their big mistake was going all in on a competitive base and not giving anything for casual players besides warzone.

What this community and many others were advocating during Halo 4 is they need to have the base game be competetive. Which they nailed.

I think if forge, more gametypes, BTB, and a few social playlists were shipped people wouldn't have been as burned out on it.

And if they focused on BTB, there would be no WZ or REQ money.

Hatchtag

Banned
And if they focused on BTB, there would be no WZ or REQ money.

they'd still get req money from cosmetics. I don't think anyone really pays to get the things for warzone since they're consumable. they're paying in hopes of getting the permanent stuff.

Besides, Warzone is a trash mode anyways.

True, but they seemed to have overcompensated. As much as I like screwing around in Warzone, it would be nice to have some smaller social lists where I don't feel like I'm risking my rank (however silly that is) if I go in alone.

Strider

There is no doubt they were too focused on the competitive side this time around.

The game play definitely benefited from it though.

Fortunately not too much longer until social playlists do hit but they should've been there at launch

Link

Maybe it's because I only really play Halo at the moment but I completely agree with them. Aiming feels amazing to me. I've finally adjusted to the elite controller with a tall right stick and everything just feels sublime, I can finally pull off ground pounds and ninja melee moves without having to contort my hands into weird shapes.

Got the White of Their Eyes commendation today and Whiplash and Oni Gungoose certs from my Warzone packs so good day all in all.

Edit: also had an epic 0 - 2 CTF comeback win, I'm starting to enjoy solo queuing Team Arena since I'm slightly under-ranked and can carry most games for now but Breakout should be removed. I've finally got to the point where I'm familiar enough with the nooks and crannies of all the standard maps to feel comfortable on them.

Trup1aya

On stream Quinn was saying how much the pro team helped them design the maps and mp. They are rather influential.

There's a difference between helping, and calling shots...

The running joke around here is that 343i needs pro-teams "approval" before they do anything...

There absolutely nothing wrong with getting pro teams input with regards to map design and weapons balancing. If there's an map or weapon exploit/feature that's going to lead to unforeseen or game breaking scenarios, they will be the ones to identify it. And they'll probably have great ideas on how to fix it.

Mechanically, this Halo is probably the most sound to date, and I don't think that is a coincidence.

As far as tweaking controls, I don't think there's anyway to know prior to launch, whether gamers would ultimately be appreciative of controls that are tricky at first, but actually allow for more control and flexibility. To say that they came to this conclusion simply because they were too focused on competitive Halo is a reach. By all accounts it seems like something they scrutinized over, and decided it would benefit the long game.

Madness

Another SMG, still no DMR...

Edit: Also, Halo 5 is ahead of Battlefront that currently has like 48k players, and which had 54k peak, so it seems like whenever US east coast and west coast are home from school/work, Halo 5 maintains an okay population. Certainly better than the 15k someone had said earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom