• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

they'd still get req money from cosmetics. I don't think anyone really pays to get the things for warzone since they're consumable. they're paying in hopes of getting the permanent stuff.

Besides, Warzone is a trash mode anyways.

I think WZ is way better than current BTB and certainly has far more potential than 8v8 in a canyon for the 6th time. Opinions and all that.

Glass

Rough in the looks department? Because gameplay wise they're my favourite maps in the game. And Basin and Deadlock (the green outsidey maps) look great imo, they give me that Halo 3 vibe that was missing at launch. Still hope BTB will get some of that dev map love though.

mo60

What is the difference between Warzone and Warzone Assault?

You don't fight any enemies or bosses. It's just capturing bases and taking down the core if I recall.Also, if I recall the req stations are not found inside the bases usually, but outside.

lwxjj7d.gif

meme_yao_ming_png_by_mfsyrcm-d58vitj.png

I was bored at work so I drew up what I thought MM should be and I'd like to explain some things.

Firstly the left side could be considered the competitive side and the right side could be considered the casual side.

I'll start at the top and work my way down to the bottom.

Team Arena would remain the most competitive playlist this would be the playlist to get ranked in. It would remain Slayer and Objective. It would remain pretty much exactly as it is now but this would be the one playlist that is BR/AR starts.

Moving down we have Slayer playlist and this would remain completely unchanged from what it is now this would be AR/Pistols feature all maps it currently does and be for 1 to 4 player fireteams.

Now if you look to the right you would see the mercenaries playlist Lone Wolves. This would be an unranked exact mirror image of Slayer playlist. You could only enter Solo but it will team you with 3 other people and face you against another team of 4 Solo players. My thought process behind this was theres really two options that can happen.

1. A offshoot of Team Arena or Team Slayer that is unranked.
2. Stricter Fireteam priority matching is patched into the current playlists.

The reason I went with an offshoot is because I think the second option above could ultimately lead to longer mm times and some people not being able to get matches. If you are searching as a team of 4 in a playlist and it heavily prioritized getting another team of 4, and then secondly its trying to match your ranks closely, all on top of the most basic neccessary priority, which is being able to actually network to each other and have a quality mm experience in terms of latency, that suddenly becomes quite a lot of filters that might narrow and narrow down the player pool to something undesirable, and possibly that could be taken advantage of. Another important reason though is because solo players need a safe place to go where they dont have to either play FFA or face teams. The reason I went with Solo only is because Teams can easily go into this playlist that's unranked and shit all over kids that are learning the game or trying to have fun and aren't competitive players. Making it Solo queue Team playlist offshot is the best option I believe. This is going to lead players into a playlist when they are solo that seems like from the initial start the game will be fair. You can even rank this playlist but have it hidden to create even more fair matches.

On top of all this the playlists MM is already pretty good most people agree this game produces the most close matches more so than any other Halo game.

Moving on Doubles needs to be a playlist not only is this a Halo staple from every past Halo game and should have been a playlist at release. It gives players who's full teams haven't come on yet something to do other than wait. There are also a ton of duo's that just love doubles and play it nonstop. This gives groups of 2 something to do.

Now that Solo and fireteams of 2 have something to do. Lets move on.

BTB of course is going social. Its crazy chaotic and fun. It shouldn't be ranked though. This mode is about kicking back and watching antics ensue. Not getting competitive. Sorry Gamesager. Also a star is on BTB cause this is the only playlist that will feature JIP. Another reason why its unranked.

Breakout will remain untouched. However, it should be removed from Arena.

SWAT is pretty much the same however I want all the precision weapons to really get a chance, I think SWATnums is OK, but you should be able to see some matches of Carbines, Light Rifles. Battle Rifles, and DMRs.

FFA will remain untouched, 6 player FFA games Pistol/AR starts.

Over on the bottom of the casual side you have the weekend playlist. However once the weekend is over Action Sack should be switched in the weekend playlists place. Once it becomes the weekend Action Sack should be swapped out for the Weekend Playlist. This helps the playlist number stay low but always keep a weirder Halo variant available to the community.

Weekend Playlists won't change much but when Action Sack comes around during the week it will include most Weekend Playlist past variants and it will also include Fiesta games as well as the Armory. The armory is basically games with one set weapon. So you can get practice with each weapon and get practice beating enemies that have the same weapon as you. So for instance you will play a game of Swords on Eden or Light Rifles on Plaza or Needlers on Regret. No weapons will be on the maps and you have to outplay your opponent who have the same weapon as you.

That's about all I have for now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think WZ is way better than current BTB and certainly has far more potential than 8v8 in a canyon for the 6th time. Opinions and all that.

i like you and agree with you 95% of the time, but this is wrong. so wrong. makes me revisit my entire opinion of you.

link1201

i like you and agree with you 95% of the time, but this is wrong. so wrong. makes me revisit my entire opinion of you.
Could just place this opinion of his in the 5% you disagree with him lol

The more I play WZ the less I like it. I feel I'm always getting shot at. There's 3 or 4 guys that are on another level and I'm just canon fodder.

I just hope we get some gametypes that let us use reqs other than warzone.

I want to see legendary weapons more often =/

Cant wait to see forge maps from the community though.

Someone should make a maze runner type of map. Hells yeah.

Monocle

lel

Have fun trolling the defending team in Warzone Assault. That and ferrying teammates from their weird spawns to the other side of the map where all the action is happening.

Beat the campaign. FUCK the Eternal Guardian. Fuck him to hell.
Warden tricks and skips for the next run.

Whatever.

Between:

A wretched campaign
Last-shot boss kills on Warzone
Map design like Pegasus, Orion, and Eden (frankly, there is ONE legitimately great original map in this game, and that's Coliseum)
A boost ability that will stop dead on a 2inch incline at the bottom edge of a ramp or any other small gradation in terrain
Maps filled with pointless, decorative 'furniture' that's too small to serve as cover and serves no purpose other than getting players caught in the middle of fire-fights,
Nonsensical matchmaking,
The worst spawn AI I've ever encountered
Terrible deadzones and stick acceleration,
A lack of staple game-modes,

...there's plenty to question about the talent on this team, from the designers all the way down to the play-testers.

I'm glad they were able to clean up the dump they themselves took on the floor with Halo 4 and put together a game with strong core shooting and movement mechanics. The quality we've come from Halo goes beyond core mechanics to the full player experience.
wat

Hatchtag

Banned

Ew, just ew. Yeah, the maps aren't that inspired in the current BTB, I'll give you that. But the maps are more fun than WZ, there's currently more map/mode combinations in BTB (11 vs 6), and the base Warzone mode is just so god damn boring. There's no fun with how much emphasis there is on getting the last hit on a boss. That just isn't fun at all to me.

Ramirez

That's cool, but BR starts are shit in this game. Halo 3 was the only game that had a good BTB, IMO. Great vehicle/infantry balance, a weapon that couldn't ping at all distances, and some pretty good maps. The rest of the series is plagued with worthless vehicles, or starting with something like a DMR making infantry movement a complete slog.

Hatchtag

Banned
Halo 3 had by far the best vehicle weights for BTB. You splatter people too easily in every Halo since.

I'm also still undecided on the gungoose. It's fun and all but it kinda defeats the entire purpose of the mongoose (an unsafe method for quick travel). I guess it needed something to make it safer with the BR starts, though.

E92 M3

There's a difference between helping, and calling shots...

The running joke around here is that 343i needs pro-teams "approval" before they do anything...

There absolutely nothing wrong with getting pro teams input with regards to map design and weapons balancing. If there's an map or weapon exploit/feature that's going to lead to unforeseen or game breaking scenarios, they will be the ones to identify it. And they'll probably have great ideas on how to fix it.

Mechanically, this Halo is probably the most sound to date, and I don't think that is a coincidence.

As far as tweaking controls, I don't think there's anyway to know prior to launch, whether gamers would ultimately be appreciative of controls that are tricky at first, but actually allow for more control and flexibility. To say that they came to this conclusion simply because they were too focused on competitive Halo is a reach. By all accounts it seems like something they scrutinized over, and decided it would benefit the long game.

I never said they call the shots. I said they were influential, and that's still too much in my book. I understand where your coming from, but the beta aiming was perfect - there was no need to change it at all. I am still waiting for a strong defense when it comes to that argument.

Current BTB? Honestly, I don't enjoy it's current state that much with the hyper-wacky spawns and iffy maps.

Hate to agree with this. I think 343 needs a solid 6 realmap relaunch of BTB. Its gotta be hurting the population being one of Halo's most popular modes. They have the in house people to do it, just remake 6 classic maps and be done with it.

Also, speaking of playlists. Why does Team Arena still have breakout and Slayer in it? Breakout has its own playlist and so does slayer. Obviously I am trying to play team objective gametypes. Is it that hard to bring assault, oddball, grifball and KOTH back? These gametypes not being in a Halo game baffle me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Could just place this opinion of his in the 5% you disagree with him lol

The more I play WZ the less I like it. I feel I'm always getting shot at. There's 3 or 4 guys that are on another level and I'm just canon fodder.

no. this is like 60% wrong, which is 55% more than his allotted 5% of wrongness. i double checked the maths.

ranks are being reset? when did they say that?
i'm actually near 1700 onyx in arena now soloing so that'd be annoying.

also, who is the 343 pro team made up of besides strongside and neighbor?

That's cool, but BR starts are shit in this game. Halo 3 was the only game that had a good BTB, IMO. Great vehicle/infantry balance, a weapon that couldn't ping at all distances, and some pretty good maps. The rest of the series is plagued with worthless vehicles, or starting with something like a DMR making infantry movement a complete slog.

Yeah, Standoff is pretty miserable with the Halo 5 sandbox.

link1201

ranks are being reset? when did they say that?
i'm actually near 1700 onyx in arena now soloing so that'd be annoying.

also, who is the 343 pro team made up of being strongside and neighbor?
They mentioned ranks getting reset before launch and in last weeks community update. They haven't specified which playlists will get a reset though as far as I know. There's going to be a twitch stream Friday with more details.

This looks pretty good. I have to ask, why AR/BR on Team Arena though? Why not AR/Pistol?

Just

1. Competitive Halo in MLG and so on has pretty much always been BR.
2. All the other playlists will still be AR/Pistol.
3. BR and AR have never been closer balanced and now is a great time to have them as starts.
4. The Battle Rifle!
itsamiracle.jpg

Strider

BR starts would be so shit in this game. It's just way too accurate and has too much range and getting pinged across map all game would be annoying as fuck. Standoff is fucking awful for this reason.

I like feeling as if I have the freedom to move with about being 4 shot every time I exit some cover. So no thanks.

Just

1. Competitive Halo in MLG and so on has pretty much always been BR.
2. All the other playlists will still be AR/Pistol.
3. BR and AR have never been closer balanced and now is a great time to have them as starts.
4. The Battle Rifle!
itsamiracle.jpg

that may be true but Pistol is great and I think increases the skill level.

Strider

Coliseum is bland on the surface and definitely lacks some charm but man I love the way it plays. It's become one of my favorite halo maps ever.

JackHerer

I think the pistol is the more skillful weapon than the BR. The BR seems to have a bit more aim assist and is just generally easier to use. I don't know if "it's always been this way" is a good enough reason for why the BR should replace the pistol in competitive play. Have any pros been asking for BR starts? I don't really follow any of them but I haven't heard many complaints about the pistol in matchmaking.

That set of playlists sounds amazing otherwise. Lone Wolves type playlist especially would be very welcome.

Strider

Have any pros been asking for BR starts?

I tune into some different streams and everytime I've heard a comment on the subject it is basically...

"BR starts would be fucking awful in this game"

That's a direct quote from Chig and then Ninja instantly agreed with him lol Other pros havent said the exact same thing but share the same opinion from what I've gathered.

They apparently all got sick of the incredibly accurate starting BR in H2A.

Welfare

Pistol is so satisfying to use but makes me so salty when I lose in a 1v1.

No BR spawns in non BTB modes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom