• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

link1201

I can see them rejiggering this in the future. I also see them putting out more skins only packs like they did for hcs.

I really hope this game is treated as a platform. If we are honest there are few ways of pushing the game forward without going away from the haloness of the series. They were able to make a large leap forward this time with the movement stuff but its at a pretty good place. It should be treated like cs go and halo 6 should be more maps, new platform updates, a campaign with more time spent on it and new modes like firefight, etc. Halo is a waning franchise, unfortunately, and it should be seen that the ever two years new game is not going to work anymore. Destiny should be looked to as something to emulate in terms of persistence in some modes.
I'd love that to happen. The base game is great. Vehicles need some adjusting but overall I think they've nailed "Halo". It's really fun to play 4v4 and btb again. I hope we can get new dev created maps soon.

I have to say that it feels very satisfying when doing anything un this game.

Ground pound for the kill
Spartan charge from behind
Assassination
Sniper headshot kill
Headshot kill
Perfect kill
Shooting power weapons like the ad victorium
Splattering with a vehicle
Getting cool medals like guardian angel, team takedown, close call, distraction, double lill triple kill etc
maneuverability like sucessfully doing a crouch jump avoiding the need to clamber
Clambering at the right ledge for an advantage point.
Sprint sliding pick up weapon jump shooting

Ah i know others will have more but those are my satisfying day to day things in halo 5. Thank you 343i. Lovee youuuuu

Strider

A gold ranked player was just matched into my Onyx/Diamond game XD

Poor guy went 1-14

He was in a party with someone else but damn they should just increase the queue times to make sure they get matched with platinums lol

Trup1aya

It's rather apparent that we fundamentally have different ides and opinions about this, but who do you think proposed an idea for a more "refined control scheme?"

I am looking forward to the update, until then, H5 is a big hassle to play.

I dunno man, when you have a group collaborative effort, people propose ideas all the time. Then, the larger group makes a creative decision based on a variety of factors.

Sometimes the ideas sound better on paper than they do in practice... Which is what happened here. This idea isn't bad simply because pro players proposed it. It's bad because it didn't work as intended.

These pro players have made numorous proposals that helped make this a better game. The control scheme just isn't one of them.

You make it seem like the game is better of without them. I disagree. Balance has been one thing that This franchise has struggle with since its inception. Even H2 and H3 had glaring issues. Pro-team's influence has generally proved very useful.

Haruko

Ah ok thanks, so if I friend someone its a follow until they follow back, then they're on my friends list?

They will show on your friends list, whether they've followed you back or not. Though, if they have privacy settings set to "show status to Friends only", they will show Offline for you unless they add you back.

JackHerer

Iffy? I played Recurve for the first time last night and it was possibly the worst time I've ever had playing Halo. It's inexcusably bad.

Guillotine and Basin are ok for some game modes. Deadlock is shit except for CTF and Recurve is shit for everything. I pray for CTF each game because it's the only mode that doesn't have the terrible spawns. Slayer is just generally terrible for BTB.

A gold ranked player was just matched into my Onyx/Diamond game XD

Poor guy went 1-14

He was in a party with someone else but damn they should just increase the queue times to make sure they get matched with platinums lol
Im Gold 6. Was playing with Platinums/Diamond/Onyx last night. Think i went positive 7-7 one match. Last match was 3-15. Onyx and Diamonds just shit on me. Lol

E92 M3

That is why I love halo. The game is very satisfying. No games is as satisfying imo. Nothing comes close.

Titanfall is probably the best shooter on consoles ever. Integrating mechs, agility and human combat requires a massive amount of talent and skill.

Titanfall is probably the best shooter on consoles ever. Integrating mechs, agility and human combat requires a massive amount of talent and skill.

I love Titanfall... minus the uber tiny weapon arsenal and few unlocks... and i didnt enjoy the mechs. But the art direction, player movement and gunplay were epic. Halo 5 is on another level as far as precision goes.

Strider

Titanfall had even less content than H5 at launch lol

It was great fun at first but I dropped it after 2 weeks or so because it all got boring

link1201

Titanfall is probably the best shooter on consoles ever...
Or0Dkny.jpg

It was really fun, agreed. Yet lacking depth and content to keep you playing. A lot more so than Halo 5.

So what was the deal with Eden this weekend, where did that map come from?

Leyasu

Banned
I love titanfall. It is a great game with the best online set up to date. But it just doesn't satisfy me like halo does. I was pretty good at modern warfare back in the day, and even games where I got 100+ kills never felt as good as halo. It's the shooting that makes the difference.

And halo 5 is on a whole new level compared to every game that has come before it imo

lol yea. Plus the updates came so slow.

But the core gameplay was ace just like in Halo 5. I'll definitely be getting the sequel.

True that. Can you just imagine how impressive it would have been... how much better it wold have done (not saying it did bad)... if it launched with CoD numbers of maps, weapons, attachments and customization!? lol Christ... it would STILL have a huge population.

Caja 117

Antitype is a B tier poster

Most likely b tier at the game if be thinks rockets aren't powerful enough.

But an S-tier when it comes to posting in this thread, It amaze me how someone can dislike a game so much and yet keep talking about it so much, I think he secretly likes the game but he just dont want to accept it.

Does anyone knows if the rank reset is a complete reset including your back-end trueskill number?

Man, When I see my CTF stats I feel terrible.

0.82 K/D. Literally the only game type I'm negative in.

Doing the math, I've played 35 games with a 70% win rate. I have captured 40 flags, and grabbed the flag 153 times. I grab the flag 4 times per match, and cap it more than once a game, and my flag captures assist mean every game, I assist with the other two flag caps. So I'm winning most CTF matches for my team by playing the objective and playing it well. All I do is go for the flag. Don't care about kills.

Yet I see my negative K/D and can't help but feel like I'm terrible. :(

I may just stop playing the game for objective and wins, and just pad my stats.

Doing the math, I've played 35 games with a 70% win rate. I have captured 40 flags, and grabbed the flag 153 times. I grab the flag 4 times per match, and cap it more than once a game, and my flag captures assist mean every game, I assist with the other two flag caps. So I'm winning most CTF matches for my team by playing the objective and playing it well. All I do is go for the flag. Don't care about kills.

Are you going to compete in the HCS? i'd watch your team.

E92 M3

I love Titanfall... minus the uber tiny weapon arsenal and few unlocks... and i didnt enjoy the mechs. But the art direction, player movement and gunplay were epic. Halo 5 is on another level as far as precision goes.

It was really fun, agreed. Yet lacking depth and content to keep you playing. A lot more so than Halo 5.

So what was the deal with Eden this weekend, where did that map come from?

I didn't care about unlocks because the gameplay and maps were so good.

Titanfall is fun but shallow. Grew tired if the shooting in that game

It's anything but shallow, there were many ways to engage a battle and move around the map.

I love titanfall. It is a great game with the best online set up to date. But it just doesn't satisfy me like halo does. I was pretty good at modern warfare back in the day, and even games where I got 100+ kills never felt as good as halo. It's the shooting that makes the difference.

And halo 5 is on a whole new level compared to every game that has come before it imo

I don't think getting kills in H5 is as satisfying as say Halo 2 or 3 where the ragdoll physics would make the spartan do a backflip or fallback from headshots. In H5 they just collapse.

Are you going to compete in the HCS? i'd watch your team.
Haha no. I mean, I would love too. Being a pro gamer isn't a dream of mine or anything, but I think it'd be cool to play at a big event or LAN or something just once for the experience, and to show people something came out of my hobby. :p

But I don't know any friends that are good enough to play "professionally". And I don't know any Halo Pros to try and network with, and I don't know of any try-out process to try and get on a team or org.

I'll be happy to just watch, and see my favorite gaming franchise get some traction in my new found love for e-sports. :p

Wil348

So I might be picking up an Xbox One next month in the New Years sales, and I since I have heard a lot of good things about the multiplayer, I really want to buy this game. For context, I used to be a huge fan of Halo before 4, and spent a stupidly long amount of time in Reach's multiplayer. I also own a PS4 (along with Deatiny, Battlefront, Battlefield) and a Wii U (Splatoon) and I was wondering, is Halo 5 enough of a return to form to draw me back in and is it worth the additional cost of XBL gold for the multiplayer?

link1201

So I might be picking up an Xbox One next month in the New Years sales, and I since I have heard a lot of good things about the multiplayer, I really want to buy this game. For context, I used to be a huge fan of Halo before 4, and spent a stupidly long amount of time in Reach's multiplayer. I also own a PS4 (along with Deatiny, Battlefront, Battlefield) and a Wii U (Splatoon) and I was wondering, is Halo 5 enough of a return to form to draw me back in and is it worth the additional cost of XBL gold for the multiplayer?
Opinions will vary but if you're just looking to play mp, then this Halo is one of the best yet, imo. There's a twitch stream Friday that'll showcase the December update. You might want to check that out.

I'll be honest, the gameplay in Halo 5 does not resemble the gameplay of Halo 3 or Halo:Reach, or 2 or CE. It's not bad though, in fact I think it's the best Halo gameplay ever. I think Halo 5 was the natural evolution Halo needed to take to stay relevant and appeal in this new era of Online FPS. Everything has to be competitive and fast paced, everything's got to have instant gratification and make you feel great when you pull off a play.

Halo 5 hits that mark perfectly. And deep inside, you still feel that nice little Halo feeling, just now it's wrapped inside of more, well welcomed mechanics like Thrusting, Spartan Charging, Sprinting, etc. but the core shooting, strafing, jumping, etc all still Halo.

Halo 5 is probably the best Halo's been in terms of Core Gameplay and sandbox balancing. I'd recommend you get it.

I still think Halo 3 is the best Halo game ever... But that's just nostalgia talking <3

It depends. I loved Halo 1-3, disliked Reach and 4, and love 5. Since you actually liked Reach I don't think my take is the most useful for you though. :p

FWIW I think it takes the best parts of 1 and 2 and adds really cool movement options that actually work in the context of the wider sandbox (which also is the best it's ever been). There's a lack of content (compared to previous titles in the series) at the moment but a fair amount will be added in monthly updates.

You should get two weeks of gold with your XB1 I think? The campaign is one of the stronger in the series so it's probably worth picking up the game if you can get it for less than full price any way and that should let you decide if XBL is worth it.

Strider

IMO the core gameplay is better than ever with the biggest issue Halo 5 has atm is the lack of content

But by New Years the game will include stuff like Big Team Battle, Social playlists and Forge which is stuff we didn't have at launch. Plus more content such as dlc maps are on the way (for free).

I'd think Christmas/New Years would be a great time to jump back in...

Caja 117

For a CTF those numbers are a dream, you are capturing a flag per game an almost 5 grabs per game. KD are meaningless if you are playing the objective...Im also negative in CTF...

Fuchsdh

For a CTF those numbers are a dream, you are capturing a flag per game an almost 5 grabs per game. KD are meaningless if you are playing the objective...Im also negative in CTF...

Nothing like a guy berating us for losing the game while he sat back and padded his K/D ratio and didn't help secure objectives.

Almost as frustrating as your carries in a MOBA farming the entire time while you're losing team fights, then complaining that you aren't adequately supporting them.

Strider

I'd say it's worse considering the carry has an actual point some of the time... Well in general idk what moba you are playing...

But yea its dumb for someone to go "you're not supporting me properly" but in the end if hes not fighting with you and you're taking fights over and over and losing you're just fucking feeding at that point

Some carries need farm to fight ya know.

This is going way off topic though lol

--

In general K/D doesnt mean as much in Halo as other shooters. That 70% winrate is impressive and says more than your K/D ever will.

Fuchsdh

I'd say it's worse considering the carry has an actual point some of the time... Well in general idk what moba you are playing...

But yea its dumb for someone to go "you're not supporting me properly" but in the end if hes not fighting with you and you're taking fights over and over and losing you're just fucking feeding at that point

Some carries need farm to fight ya know.

This is going way off topic though lol

--

In general K/D doesnt mean as much in Halo as other shooters. That 70% winrate is impressive and says more than your K/D ever will.

Talking specifically Dota 2, in that people pick carries because they want to play the easiest heroes who tear through people, and bitch about others not supporting them to their win like they're god's gift to the world. It's akin to the guy who says that everyone should funnel power weapons to him, because he's the only one who can do anything with them.

It's a game that at its worst just fosters napoleon complexes in subpar players. The worst part is you know everyone's MMR is very close to you, so the guys talking shit are literally the same skill but they act as if they're much better at the game.

Caja 117

There is no way to tell your KD ratio segregated by Maps? Im pretty sure I have a K/D of 0.5 in Coliseum, I just cant play good in that map.

Halo 5 deaths merge ragdoll with preset poses, it makes them look more real compared to the body suddenly becoming a bag of potatoes, but halo 2 headshot backflips were beautiful.

E92 M3

Halo 5 deaths merge ragdoll with preset poses, it makes them look more real compared to the body suddenly becoming a bag of potatoes, but halo 2 headshot backflips were beautiful.

Headshot backfips were super satisfying - it should have been a Halo standard.

Yes! The campaign is kind of Meh but the multiplayer is an incredible return to fOrm.

Don't do it Speedy. Don't be that guy. You are good enough to not need to be that guy.

Headshot backfips were super satisfying - it should have been a Halo standard.

I would also love to see the host-smack return.

When you send a spartan flying into space when you melee because you are the host in a Halo 3 match. It is always super satisfying to do this to friends when you have the chance.

Theres still pretty large skill gap with the Battle Rifle in fact its so powerful you literally cannot mess up your shots or you are already doneskis.
That's exactly why the BR shouldn't be the spawn weapon lol, not to mention this statement contradicts itself. It has been this way since H2 because the BR/DMR do most of the aiming for you, so reversals were rare as gameplay became stale and one-dimensional. Enough BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR.... Leave that in the past.
The BR simply has more auto-aim, requires fewer shots, and has Better range than the pistol.

It's much easier to land a perfect kill with a BR than a pistol at any range.

The pistol compensates for this by having a faster TTK.

As such, despite the inherent disadvantages, the pistol rewards skill more so than any other precision weapon. It Requires more shots, and these shots are harder to land, BUT if you land them all, you will get the kill.

It needs to continue to be the starting weapon is competive play.

If Pro's are dropping the Pistol for BR, it's because the BR is easier to use, which makes them feel like they are gaining an advantage. Which is fine, because that's the trade off that weapon pickups are supposed to provide. The upside is that in this game, those with skill, who can't get to a BR, can still win their duels.

Haha no. I mean, I would love too. Being a pro gamer isn't a dream of mine or anything, but I think it'd be cool to play at a big event or LAN or something just once for the experience, and to show people something came out of my hobby. :p

But I don't know any friends that are good enough to play "professionally". And I don't know any Halo Pros to try and network with, and I don't know of any try-out process to try and get on a team or org.

I'll be happy to just watch, and see my favorite gaming franchise get some traction in my new found love for e-sports. :p
If you were serious about it a great way is to network through pro twitch streams. Seems like you'd be good enough to hold your own against some of them. Right now there's about 3-4 solid pro teams - EG, CLG, envyUs, Liquid, that will be in the top spots I think come March.

Who knows, they might just drop one of those members and add you. I guess it happens? im not too sure but i seen it talked about in some other thread i think.

like you said, it would be a fun expereince.

Ok, I recently got this game and got ranked in platinum. But i feel as if this game has such a higher TTK than the Master Chief Collection (1-3). Can someone explain this feeling to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom