• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our entire point was this post here:

Now you said "next week", which is correct.

Yes, I was completely wrong on that account. I still have no idea why I thought "the week of the 15th" was this week. I was actually talking to my friend and declared "well you said we've got Halo 5 DLC coming this week, right?" and I said, "yeah, the week of the 15th!"

He stared at me and said, "that's next week."

I'm just saying that you should be careful when you say new gamemodes like Oddball are being added to Social, because it was never confirmed or denied. It's best to wait for the stream and not to hype people up with potential false hope.

Did I say that? I thought I said "modes like Oddball are possible", or something along those lines. I'm forgetful lately. Regardless, thanks for pointing out my goof-up.

checked out the population on the store in xbox, was wondering if it dropped more.

its in front of battlefront right now.

Means it's above 50K... That seems decent to me, will be interesting to see what kind of boost the December update will give the population since this is the first "major" content update.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Here's a very rough way to see what the population is like.

http://halotracker.com/h5/csrbreakdown

Just check the number of on ranked players. Obviously there is falloff from this, but I would say a majority of the ranked players are one's that still play.

edit: I'm a bag of lies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Those that are tracked have to go to HT, or are they looking at the API and looking to add every player that has played?

Can they even do the second one with the API?

Data is from players tracked on Halotracker, not all players who play halo

Whoops, you're right.

Welfare

Whoops, you're right.

Alright.

Even then, at least 315k people have their accounts tracked (Team Arena numbers). I find that pretty impressive for the website.

Team Slayer has even more people in that, with 324k. This is interesting.

Jesus, Onyx in SWAT has the most % of players in that playlist, with 32.8%. Why?

Alright.

Even then, at least 315k people have their accounts tracked (Team Arena numbers). I find that pretty impressive for the website.

Team Slayer has even more people in that, with 324k. This is interesting.

Jesus, Onyx in SWAT has the most % of players in that playlist, with 32.8%. Why?

The next update addresses two playlists that were placing players in Onyx too much.

Also for population stats don't forget campaign/coop numbers are missing too.

Halo 5 is so punishing for solo players for two reasons: (Note: Posting under the reality that it's rare for random, solo players in matchmaking to coordinate.)

1. Incredibly high survivability potential (thrusters, sprint, clamber, faster/tighter movement in general)
  2. No party matching
I enjoy the movement options so I wouldn't recommend nerfing that, but having party matching would increase the search times.. Impact to search times or impact to game quality? One could argue longer search times is an impact to game quality, so it's quite the dilemma.

Nutter

IF you do not team shoot you will lose the match. I have seen teams made up of randoms have better team shooting and movement than my own team of 4.

I still stand by the fact that we don't know how to actually play as a team, most wins we get are because typically brute force our way to victory, but that does not work when we go up against other competent players.

Ramirez

IF you do not team shoot you will lose the match. I have seen teams made up of randoms have better team shooting and movement than my own team of 4.

I still stand by the fact that we don't know how to actually play as a team, most wins we get are because typically brute force our way to victory, but that does not work when we go up against other competent players.

Mixed skill parties and Arena don't mix, RIP.

Strider

Yoooo I finally had a game where basically everything went right. I was in the fucking zoooone this match.

V8QKbDW.png

I got a double kill early and grabbed rockets which I used to take out their sniper. Then I did the dumb/selfish thing and held both power weapons instead of giving one to a teammate. But I went ham...

When you hit snapshots like this you know things are going right lol

Clip

This game <3

Mixed skill parties and Arena don't mix, RIP.

No. They don't.

We talk about the game not being friendly to solo players a lot but it's actually worse if you go in with a group of players that are of significantly different skill. Shit is awful.

Social playlists cant come fast enough.

Parties of mixed players are still better than your chances solo because you can communicate. I can tell my friends to stop dying, maybe even save them from a death or two, but randoms without a mic of equal skill to those friends? They'll just keep chasing kills, running into traps over and over without a shit to give, etc. Most people don't use their mic, so no communication = worse outcome.

Now, if you're saying that a match of 4 good solo players who understand Halo is better than a mixed party of 1 good Halo player with 3 scrubs, then no shit lol

Sai

Startin' to get 1,500 RP cards from Silver REQ Packs. I think I still have quite a few Rare Emblems and Visors to unlock though... Unless most of them are tied to Commendations?

[EDIT] - Got a Legendary Sentinel DMR with a stabilizer mod from one of my last Silver Packs. Second Gold Pack I got afterwards gave me a Dying Star certification; looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. :D

Strider

but randoms without a mic of equal skill to those friends? They'll just keep chasing kills, running into traps over and over without a shit to give, etc

Well that doesnt happen tho. If I queue solo I get randoms relatively equal to my skill not of my friends skill so that problem doesnt even exist...

No shit if I can communicate to a gold tier friend that's gonna better than a gold tier random with no mic... but thats not the problem at hand lol

I'm saying a gold tier friend with a mic is gonna be worse for you than a diamond/onyx player with no mic.

--

Also keep in mind not all parties queue as 4. Groups can be as small as 2. Having 1 of you being outclassed, skill wise, along with 2 silent teamates. Ew.

I'm usually around a 1600+ Onyx and 87.43%* of the time I get at least two teammates who go -10 or more, so I wish I could find these high quality solo players you speak of :b

Speedy reached Champion** and constantly complains about poor teammates, so higher ranks don't necessarily equate to phenomenal skills.

Strider

I'm usually around a 1600+ Onyx and 87.43%* of the time I get at least two teammates who go -10 or more, so I wish I could find these high quality solo players you speak of :b

Speedy reached Champion** and constantly complains about poor teammates, so higher ranks don't necessarily equate to phenomenal skills.

I never said they were high quality. I said they were of equal skill to me
thats definitely not high quality :p
I'm 1500-1550 Onyx for life lol I'm not going any higher than that.

You're Onyx 1600+ though. That's what? Top 1%? Maybe 2%? You queue in and you are better than the vast majority of people that play this game. Therefore most of the time you are going to have people worse than you on your team. It's inevitable. So yea in your scenario it is better for you to party up with people, even if they are worse than you, and communicate with them because you are all but guaranteed to get teammates worse than you. Speedy has that same problem. He is the top .1%. How can Speedy realistically expect to get 3 other champion teammates every game?

But for 98% of us we can queue in and get teammates equal to us so it is actually worse to go in with friends that are significantly lower than you even if it does mean they communicate with us. They just get donged on and hold the team back.

And I've been on both sides of that (the worse player) as well. It's not fun losing and feeling like it's not your fault (because you're forced to carry)... But its even worse to be the one constantly holding the team back.

BraXzy

I think I reached peak Halo skill in at the end of high school into college. Aka reach years.

I still consider myself pretty good at this game but I'm incredibly inconsistent in this game.

I ltierally had one set of games where I went like 25 and 5 one game and 5 and 20 the next.

If I played more I'd probably be really good.

It's funny because my buddy was on last night who hasn't played much at all and was like... Why are people so good? "I used to wreck people easily."

I mean, obviously he is rusty as hell so that's a factor but I definitely think the game does a great job (most of the time) with matching equal skill teams. The only issue is when you're solo vs a team. Because even I remember playing like Halo 3 and occasionally having that one game where you absolutely go HAM and go like 30 and 4... But it seems like there are no casual players. Everyone to a certain extent can shoot reasonably well and hold their own.

Maybe a unconventional opinion but maybe its a harder halo game to go ham in because it's easier to get kills?

As an example I know I get mowed down by ar users I would have killed in the past - im not saying the game is dumbed down (Im not sure if it is or isn't) - just that the time to kill is that bit quicker giving you less chance to turn the tide in the individual battles

I also think the awkward aim means that it's not a pick up and play game - switching between it and other games for a bit puts you back at feeling rusty very quickly

Trup1aya

Maybe a unconventional opinion but maybe its a harder halo game to go ham in because it's easier to get kills?

As an example I know I get mowed down by ar users I would have killed in the past - im not saying the game is dumbed down (Im not sure if it is or isn't) - just that the time to kill is that bit quicker giving you less chance to turn the tide in the individual battles

I also think the awkward aim means that it's not a pick up and play game - switching between it and other games for a bit puts you back at feeling rusty very quickly

If it's easier to get kills, then it's equally easier to die. 'Going ham' means you have the skill to overcome the deaths, whilst still getting kills. That dynamic doesn't change.

The time to kill being quicker is a myth. There are videos that show the TTK of all weapons, and H5 avg TTK is no different than previous entries. If you factor in added mobility, then it should take longer to kill people AND increase the likelihood of getting reversals.

The pistol has a significantly faster TTK than the AR, so if you are getting mowed down by AR users, then you aim needs some tweaking.

Hatchtag

Banned
I DID IT. I FINALLY FUCKING DID IT.
After 1 day 18 hours and 38 minutes in Arena, I finally fucking ranked up in a playlist. Granted, that wasn't all spent in one playlist, but I only really tried to rank up in three (Breakout, SWAT, BTB). Now I've gone from
silver
to
gold!
Fuck that feels accomplishing.

Ramirez

Parties of mixed players are still better than your chances solo because you can communicate. I can tell my friends to stop dying, maybe even save them from a death or two, but randoms without a mic of equal skill to those friends? They'll just keep chasing kills, running into traps over and over without a shit to give, etc. Most people don't use their mic, so no communication = worse outcome.

Now, if you're saying that a match of 4 good solo players who understand Halo is better than a mixed party of 1 good Halo player with 3 scrubs, then no shit lol

Try playing with Tunavi sometime and tell me if you still feel this way. ;p

I'm sorry, Tuna.

Glass

What's that? A promotional REQ pack or are these from regular REQ packs?

Yeah a promo pack, much like the turkey emblem. Makes you think what else they could do. Maybe an additonal promo pack for everyone to open on Christmas day etc

i see a lot of posts about how people are ranked with like onyx players and their team has a bunch of people still qualifying or something, followed by "man i hope social playlists are soon"

What about socials would help that exactly?

Trup1aya

i see a lot of posts about how people are ranked with like onyx players and their team has a bunch of people still qualifying or something, followed by "man i hope social playlists are soon"

Social just makes people care less about winning/losing, so uneven teams don't bother them so much.

That perhaps where 2 ppl quit on your team from the beginning ultimetly ends up in a loss therefore going down in rank.

In social, two fucks are given and everyone will quit since rank isnt tied to it. Happy joy joy for everyone.

link1201

I don't know but being in the middle of the bell curve has been a great experience for me and I hope adding in social doesn't change that. In my perfect world the mm remains the same and they just hide the rank.

That perhaps where 2 ppl quit on your team from the beginning ultimetly ends up in a loss therefore going down in rank.

In social, two fucks are given and everyone will quit since rank isnt tied to it. Happy joy joy for everyone.
I mean I hope they still include bans for quitting in social too.

i was messing around in customs and realized theres neutral flag (obviously) for any gametype. but its only used in breakout?

youd think with the super small amount of gametypes already theyd add it to arena or something.

man i hope upon all hopes they add a new gametype with the december update. i just really dont think its gonna happen. they havent even teased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom