• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Hope they up the quit ban overall in this update. I also hope they discuss all the adjustments they mentioned are coming. I'm really looking forward to twitch stream Friday for some reason, lol

i really hope what was in last weeks update is not ALL thats in this update.

UI stuff for instance. They know people want their medal counts, better post game lobbies, better pre games lobbies.

But they only mentioned things like seeing your req points pre game and unopened packs.

you serious 343? Thats what you prioritized?

I mean I hope they still include bans for quitting in social too.

Yeah i think they need more parameters to indicate a legit quit, a disconnect, afk and etc.

I apologize in advance when i need to change a diaper right in the middle of a game and end up being booted because i was afk for too long.

shit happens, literally.

UI stuff for instance. They know people want their medal counts, better post game lobbies, better pre games lobbies.

But they only mentioned things like seeing your req points pre game and unopened packs.

Yeah I miss my nice overview of all my medals etc. To be fair, I only even notice them in the Halo Channel app on my phone. Those were the nice things about the Halo 3 mp

Trup1aya

I mean I hope they still include bans for quitting in social too.

Banning in social is a little harsh. They should at most make people wait until the game they quit is over before they can get back into matchmaking.

Quitting in ranked should be an automatic 15minute ban. And it should increase in severity exponentially depending on how often one quits.

Karl2177

If it's easier to get kills, then it's equally easier to die. 'Going ham' means you have the skill to overcome the deaths, whilst still getting kills. That dynamic doesn't change.

The time to kill being quicker is a myth. There are videos that show the TTK of all weapons, and H5 avg TTK is no different than previous entries. If you factor in added mobility, then it should take longer to kill people AND increase the likelihood of getting reversals.

The pistol has a significantly faster TTK than the AR, so if you are getting mowed down by AR users, then you aim needs some tweaking.
Those are all in a closed environment though. I'm with bobs on this. I've gotten more perfect kills in this than I probably did in Halo 1*, 2, 3, and 4*. I've also been perfected more times than before also. It's just anecdotal at this point, and more data will need to be gathered, but I'm in the boat that thinks in an open environment the ttk is shorter compared to other titles.

*sans the times when the aim assist bugs popped up in these games. MCC CE and months 1-3 DMR in H4

post game is just so barebones right now.

show off mvp, who got the rarest medal, just something.

Yeah, espcially when you go right into your REQ store to buy/sell. well that's what i do atleast.

Only thing i quickly look at in the post-game screen are the kills.KDA. Rank of opposing team. i dont even bother going through the tabs.

pieface

Halo 5 is so punishing for solo players for two reasons: (Note: Posting under the reality that it's rare for random, solo players in matchmaking to coordinate.)

1. Incredibly high survivability potential (thrusters, sprint, clamber, faster/tighter movement in general)
  2. No party matching
I enjoy the movement options so I wouldn't recommend nerfing that, but having party matching would increase the search times.. Impact to search times or impact to game quality? One could argue longer search times is an impact to game quality, so it's quite the dilemma.

Just have a lone wolves playlist which only solo players can play. If it takes an extra few minutes to find a game that's fine by me.

Just have a lone wolves playlist which only solo players can play. If it takes an extra few minutes to find a game that's fine by me.

Like my suggestion? :p Of course, with more options but you know ;)

343i plz

Ranked Playlist:
Lone Wolves
  • Enter the arena alone. Paring up with 3 other Spartans as you work together for victory.
  • Slayer, Strongholds, CTF are the available options in this playlist.

No full teams/parties will be allowed to que in this playlist :p
I know i'd play, since im always solo-queing. but then the regular slayer may see a dip in population? idk i just feel the pain when people are experiencing the losses against a full team of 4 that team shoot very well.

Strider

343i plz

Ranked Playlist:
Lone Wolves
  • Enter the arena alone. Paring up with 3 other Spartans as you work together for victory.
  • Slayer, Strongholds, CTF are the available options in this playlist.

No full teams/parties will be allowed to que in this playlist :p
I know i'd play, since im always solo-queing. but then the regular slayer may see a dip in population? idk i just feel the pain when people are experiencing the losses against a full team of 4 that team shoot very well.

goodjob.gif

Even if we dont get this exactly a playlist that includes objective modes but excludes breakout is good with me.

Yeah i think they need more parameters to indicate a legit quit, a disconnect, afk and etc.

I apologize in advance when i need to change a diaper right in the middle of a game and end up being booted because i was afk for too long.

shit happens, literally.

Can't you just sit in it until the end of the game? I mean that's the point of wearing it in the first place.

I jumped on for the first time in a couple of weeks last night and got killed. KILLED!

I think my KDA was about -2 or worse for each game and my teams lost 7 games in a row.

Trup1aya

Those are all in a closed environment though. I'm with bobs on this. I've gotten more perfect kills in this than I probably did in Halo 1*, 2, 3, and 4*. I've also been perfected more times than before also. It's just anecdotal at this point, and more data will need to be gathered, but I'm in the boat that thinks in an open environment the ttk is shorter compared to other titles.

*sans the times when the aim assist bugs popped up in these games. MCC CE and months 1-3 DMR in H4

I guess it is anecdotal . But from my experience, Halo CE had the fast Avg TTK of all. Once BR starts became a thing in H2, perfect kills were again a common occurance. H3, made them a little less common by using projectiles (reducing long distance kills) instead of Hitscan, but the effects were marginal at best in terms of overall TTK.

Infact the relative ease of getting perfect kills since since the BR became a thing is the reason why there was any sort of push for AR/pistol starts this time around. There is now a larger skill gap in terms of shooting and evading shots, which should allow for "going ham".

Something just doesn't add up with the original comment. On the one hand he argues it's easier to kill, but on the other, the controls make it easier to die. The guy dying is playing with the exact same controls as the guy doing the killing.

Strider

I dont understand people calling in some high cost rare req like a Mantis when the score is 500-900.

Save that for a close game and/or a match you'll have more time with it. Dont waste it now... Game is decided.

Trup1aya

I dont understand people calling in some high cost rare req like a Mantis when the score is 500-900.

Save that for a close game and/or a match you'll have more time with it. Dont waste it now... Game is decided.

To be fair the crazier comebacks I've seen happened when the leading team decides not to spend Reqs (presumable because of their score) and the losing team suddenly caps every thing a destroys the core.

Don't forget that some people rarely reach level 8 in a game. So sometimes if they do, they don't care it's almost over, they just want to be able to use it that level 8 card.

Strider

To be fair the crazier comebacks I've seen happened when the leading team decides not to spend Reqs (presumable because of their score) and the losing team suddenly caps every thing a destroys the core.

Well in this case the enemy team had 900 and just capped all 3 points. It was hopeless

Guy made it out the base with his mantis and they had 950 points lol

link1201

Well in this case the enemy team had 900 and just capped all 3 points. It was hopeless

Guy made it out the base with his mantis and they had 950 points lol
May be a good way to fulfill their commendations. Enemy players funneling in to destroy the core someone can get quite a few kills with a mantis that way I'd imagine.

Strider

Nah I'm not with these arguments.

I'm pretty sure what happened is dude hit req level 8 (or whatever it costs)... Got all hype and went "FUCK YEA MANTIS!" and called that shit in instantly despite all logic rofl I'm serious when I said person barely made it out of the base before the game was over. Didnt even get a kill

We'll never know the actual reason :p

BraXzy

I'm pretty sure they mentioned more to come so I'd hope what is down in the update isn't the complete list. I suppose we will see on Friday :3

Been playing with my mate recently on an alt. At first he was struggling to get into the game but he has taken to Breakout like a fish to water and loving it. This game is so much more fun with friends.

Fuchsdh

Nah I'm not with these arguments.

I'm pretty sure what happened is dude hit req level 8 (or whatever it costs)... Got all hype and went "FUCK YEA MANTIS!" and called that shit in instantly despite all logic rofl I'm serious when I said person barely made it out of the base before the game was over. Didnt even get a kill

We'll never know the actual reason :p

Sometimes calling in that power REQ at the end of the game is what it takes to push an upset or grab the core, too. Because most people are reticent about wasting REQs that can give a bold player an advantage.

Strider

Sometimes calling in that power REQ at the end of the game is what it takes to push an upset or grab the core, too. Because most people are reticent about wasting REQs that can give a bold player an advantage.

Thought I covered that possibility here.

Well in this case the enemy team had 900 and just capped all 3 points. It was hopeless.

It's not like our team was about to cap all 3 and we could make a run... quite the opposite.

--

idk if you guys disagree so be it but I'm never gonna call in a high cost powerful req in a blowout game like 900-500 where the winning team has all 3 points captured lol do your thing tho

Banning in social is a little harsh. They should at most make people wait until the game they quit is over before they can get back into matchmaking.

Quitting in ranked should be an automatic 15minute ban. And it should increase in severity exponentially depending on how often one quits.

I actually like that idea for social. Just want to make sure that people aren't quitting out of social because they're losing since there is no rank penalty.Ranked one is fine too as long as parameters for differentiating legit quitting vs. disconnects are established.

Karl2177

I guess it is anecdotal . But from my experience, Halo CE had the fast Avg TTK of all. Once BR starts became a thing in H2, perfect kills were again a common occurance. H3, made them a little less common by using projectiles (reducing long distance kills) instead of Hitscan, but the effects were marginal at best in terms of overall TTK.

Infact the relative ease of getting perfect kills since since the BR became a thing is the reason why there was any sort of push for AR/pistol starts this time around. There is now a larger skill gap in terms of shooting and evading shots, which should allow for "going ham".

Something just doesn't add up with the original comment. On the one hand he argues it's easier to kill, but on the other, the controls make it easier to die. The guy dying is playing with the exact same controls as the guy doing the killing.
Maybe a unconventional opinion but maybe its a harder halo game to go ham in because it's easier to get kills?

As an example I know I get mowed down by ar users I would have killed in the past - im not saying the game is dumbed down (Im not sure if it is or isn't) - just that the time to kill is that bit quicker giving you less chance to turn the tide in the individual battles

I also think the awkward aim means that it's not a pick up and play game - switching between it and other games for a bit puts you back at feeling rusty very quickly

I don't think bobs was saying that the awkward controls make it harder to do well, just that if you play something else, it takes longer to get reacquainted by the controls, unlike other titles where you can get up and going after a match or so. I have issues with aiming whenever I jump from Destiny or MCC into Halo 5. As for your second paragraph, you'll have to source that for me. I don't know of anyone official saying that the AR/Pistol start decision was because of a supposed ease in getting perfect BR kills.

Man I have such a bad luck with Req packs

Enjoy your Arena XP boosts.

Trup1aya

I don't think bobs was saying that the awkward controls make it harder to do well, just that if you play something else, it takes longer to get reacquainted by the controls, unlike other titles where you can get up and going after a match or so. I have issues with aiming whenever I jump from Destiny or MCC into Halo 5. As for your second paragraph, you'll have to source that for me. I don't know of anyone official saying that the AR/Pistol start decision was because of a supposed ease in getting perfect BR kills.

Enjoy your Arena XP boosts.
I figured He was talking about the awkward controls as they relate to being able to 'go ham', no? Maybe he was making an entirely separate point. If not, Shouldn't someone who is used to the controls go ham on someone who is coming from destiny?

I wasn't saying that the official reason for AR/Pistol starts was because of BR perfect kills.

I was speaking about a large portion of the community being strongly in favor of pistol starts over BR starts, after 1) having grown tired of how the power of starting BRs affected everyone's playstyles and minimized the importance of pickups and 2) realizing that the pistol is again a valid utility weapon. Prior to halo 5, no one would have asked for pistol starts again. After the beta, there was a pretty radical split. Now I'm seeing a lot of pro's in favor of the change, which has been surprising.

BR starts used to be necessary because without them it could be very difficult to make a comeback after a bad start to a game since you had to fight against BRs and power weapons with the AR. Since the magnum now is a capable weapon in its own right they're not needed any more IMO.

Strider

Game has been out a while now and people still sprint straight for the sniper on Edyn without destroying the exploding barrels first...

Ez kills every time

When my teammatees do it though....
facepalm.gif

Trup1aya

BR starts used to be necessary because without them it could be very difficult to make a comeback after a bad start to a game since you had to fight against BRs and power weapons with the AR. Since the magnum now is a capable weapon in its own right they're not needed any more IMO.

This is correct. But my problem with BR starts has always been that they were too easy to use. Having such power in a starting weapon really didn't properly reward teams for getting map control and accessing 2nd tier weapons.

Now, thanks to the excellent pistol and great balancing overall, there is a definite reward for achieving map control, but it isn't so rewarding that a team can't fight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom