• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything CE gets the shaft in Halo games:

Halo 2? Barely any sign of CE outside of the CE Pistol on Tombstone
(YEAH, REAL FUNNY BUNGIE).
Halo 3? Teased with a return to CE's roots, the Magnum hyped prerelease, heartbroken post release.
Reach? Yo but we got this Anniversary thing coming out that will be just like Halo CE! Heartbroken post release.
Halo 4? Mk. V as paid DLC.
Halo 5? RNG DLC.​

Halo 6 needs to launch with Mk. V as the default armor and everyone gets a CE Pistol as their third weapon. That's right, Halo 6 needs to add a third weapon option to Halo and it needs to be a CE Pistol. You heard it here first.

But who needs other weapons when you have the M6D? Sniper and Rockets? Get that shit out of here, I'll stick to the pistol thanks.

Mark my words, the Halo CE magnum will arrive with the Mark V helmet and armour ;)

Been there, said that. :p

I'd really like my red cross emblem back in a REQ pack, or better yet a caduceus, so when I'm shooting people in the face they also know that I'm there to help.

Also, I could have sworn the CE magnum was part of this update. I guess not. :(

Hopefully that means the M6D and Mk. V in one pack.

Trup1aya

Everything CE gets the shaft in Halo games:

Halo 2? Barely any sign of CE outside of the CE Pistol on Tombstone
(YEAH, REAL FUNNY BUNGIE).
Halo 3? Teased with a return to CE's roots, the Magnum hyped prerelease, heartbroken post release.
Reach? Yo but we got this Anniversary thing coming out that will be just like Halo CE! Heartbroken post release.
Halo 4? Mk. V as paid DLC.
Halo 5? RNG DLC.​

Halo 6 needs to launch with Mk. V as the default armor and everyone gets a CE Pistol as their third weapon. That's right, Halo 6 needs to add a third weapon option to Halo and it needs to be a CE Pistol. You heard it here first.

Yup, hold Y to equip your Heavy weapon, the M6D

Glass

343 needs to make it easier to show off the loot. It will create more inherent value.

Yup. First off they need to show you what loot quality something is when in your customisation options. Not sure how this one was overlooked when they're building a system based around loot and item rarity.

Then there needs to be a player card that pops up when you inspect someone, like Destiny or World of Warcraft. Having great gear isn't half as fun with no one around to show it off to. The variations of each armour are so subtle, how are people going to know I'm using the ultra rare Mark VI not the common version, they look so similar.

Lastly the armour needs to be made more distinct, it's way too hard to read most of it, which I mainly put down to the coloured undersuits merging with the same colour armour. I think they should make undersuits black by default, and have the coloured ones as unlocks or vice versa, then its an extra unlock for the Arena side of REQ cards, since that could always use more options. With the picture on the right you can actually tell what is armour and what is the undersuit.

m7qkpca.jpg

Strider

343 needs to make it easier to show off the loot. It will create more inherent value.

It would be realy cool if the pre-game lobby screen showed player's spartans before the match instead of emblems.

Could instantly see their spartan's look and stance with the option to inspect their gear to see exactly what they have equipped...

Then again since they want to block names and ranks before the match you'd stil have no idea on who's spartan it is :/

Ryde3

Super excited that we're getting 3 new arena maps, and social!

Those plus Forge should be a nice care package! Can't wait to get into some custom games with some GAFers on some Forge maps!

Strider

I will lose my shit if reqs are available in forge. I will create a map with nothing but legendary reqs everywhere so we can just go nuts with them lol You get a Nornfang. And YOU get a Nornfang!

Not expecting it though.

Leyasu

Banned
Nice update.

Love the armours so fucking awesome. Also great to see some new maps for BTB.. Love that mode. It would be nice to have a different time of day though for deadlock.

Glass

this part is in the next update

I hope it is, I saw this part but the wording makes it a little ambigious to me

REQ Rarity and Description will be visible for all REQs when opening a REQ pack or browsing your Collection whether you own it or not.

It capitilizes the Collection, which makes me think they're talking about that part of the menu, as opposed to the Customisation bit, which is where the rarity colour is needed. Hopefully that's what they've done.

It seems like such a small thing for me to get hung up on, but when loot and the concept of rarity is introduced and we're expected to care about one virtual item being more important then another virtual item, it needs to be done convincingly.

Caja 117

Are the legendary items only available on gold packs? And do the SR rank have any effect on what items you get out of Req packs?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Still can't believe how many quitters there are. Played 6 games and 5 had at least 1 quitter. You'd think those types of players would have moved on by now. Oh shit the game started and it's 8-3, might as well quit.

BraXzy

my brother mentioned this actually. whats the point of the armor, skins, colors, emblems, if you never really see who has what?

Exactly the UI needs an overhaul Imo.

Yup, very good points. That's definitely one of the big issues with it, just the fact that there's hardly anywhere it is shown off. I mentioned a while back when the mock up UI stuff came out that the Campaign screen from that set should be used as inspiration for a new multiplayer lobby that would showcase your stances and such pre-game.

But another reason imo, is the rarity tiers feel.. hollow. Some armour that is uncommon looks kick ass, just as some ultra rare stuff looks like crap. Obviously there is an element of personal preference, so that's kinda hard to solve.

JackHerer

Actually had several good slayer games today in a row and it felt so good. One was a 48-50 win on Regret. When this game works it really works and is a thing of beauty to a long time fan like me. Also decided to splurge in Warzone and use a bunch of powerful cards one match (2 Whiplash + Sniper) and ended with 57 kills 12 deaths. Was pretty fun.

I've found that lately in Arena I'm getting matched more with people who have mics and aren't in party chat. At the Onyx level teamwork is a must to win and calling out gives a massive advantage; if you don't atleast provide support to each other the game can be very punishing. I think maybe the bad apples are starting to leave the game behind and the more hardcore fans who want to play the game at a higher level are what's left. Or maybe I just had a lucky streak and this is wishful thinking.

Welfare

There is no reason for why we can't see armor in the pre game lobby.

"OH NO, someone got this badass armor piece from an RNG system! Better quit!"

No one does this. The UI is too barebones.

There is no reason for why we can't see armor in the pre game lobby.

"OH NO, someone got this badass armor piece from an RNG system! Better quit!"

No one does this. The UI is too barebones.

Agreed. Definitely would like to see armor and it's rarity levels somehow in the lobby

It was kinda cool but it always felt super janky. Like there wasn't really a structure to it they were just spread out haphazardly. Better than what we have now :3

Truueeeee.

Im just glad we dont have lame cards anymore. I think halo 4 had them for all spartans right?

Actually had several good slayer games today in a row and it felt so good. One was a 48-50 win on Regret. When this game works it really works and is a thing of beauty to a long time fan like me. Also decided to splurge in Warzone and use a bunch of powerful cards one match (2 Whiplash + Sniper) and ended with 57 kills 12 deaths. Was pretty fun.

I've found that lately in Arena I'm getting matched more with people who have mics and aren't in party chat. At the Onyx level teamwork is a must to win and calling out gives a massive advantage; if you don't atleast provide support to each other the game can be very punishing. I think maybe the bad apples are starting to leave the game behind and the more hardcore fans who want to play the game at a higher level are what's left. Or maybe I just had a lucky streak and this is wishful thinking.

Were we in the same game? I swear I had the exact same one on Regret. The game info isn't loading on Waypoint to check though. I hope more and more people realize party chat does nothing but bring down the team.

belushy

Banned
Anti-freeze and Entombed are both Forge maps, right? :'(

Yeah. Looking forward to seeing Ducain's re-imagining of Burial Mounds. I heard Anti-Freeze is a more infantry based Sidewinder re-imagining, which I'm not sure I like. Will have to see for myself though, obviously.

Wish it was easier to switch between the them....while ingame

Party chat
Game chat
Private chat only for the elite
old dads who suck at halo 5

Plz understand

BraXzy

Didn't know about that. that does sound great. Every game needs to do it.

It's a very easy to miss feature but it's crazy useful for on the fly switching. Often use it when I've partied up and need to communicate something to a random in Breakout or something.

TCKaos

Yup. First off they need to show you what loot quality something is when in your customisation options. Not sure how this one was overlooked when they're building a system based around loot and item rarity.

Then there needs to be a player card that pops up when you inspect someone, like Destiny or World of Warcraft. Having great gear isn't half as fun with no one around to show it off to. The variations of each armour are so subtle, how are people going to know I'm using the ultra rare Mark VI not the common version, they look so similar.

Lastly the armour needs to be made more distinct, it's way too hard to read most of it, which I mainly put down to the coloured undersuits merging with the same colour armour. I think they should make undersuits black by default, and have the coloured ones as unlocks or vice versa, then its an extra unlock for the Arena side of REQ cards, since that could always use more options. With the picture on the right you can actually tell what is armour and what is the undersuit.

m7qkpca.jpg

I think I've said it before, but the fact that not every piece of armor is distinct enough or well designed enough for your character - the thing you're investing all of this time in to customizing using the REQ system - to look like a protagonist is mind boggling. They build and hype an entire system around making your Spartan yours and none of the options are really that appealing. Like you said, the undersuit plays in to that a great deal.

Clearly 343 agrees that the colored undersuits should either be black or at the least muted colors, that's why out of all 16 of their protagonists (John, Fred, Linda, Kelly, Locke, Tanaka, Buck, Vale, Hoya, Grant, DeMarco, Madsen, Thorne, Palmer, Davis and whoever you play as in Spartan Strike) literally none of them have brightly colored undersuits. They understand that it makes the armor more distinct or else they wouldn't have made sure that none of their protagonists have them.

In fact, while Blue Team is slightly more uniform, every single member of Osiris has a distinctly different undersuit design, each one complimenting their armor. I understand that it isn't cost effective to model a new undersuit for every single set of armor (especially when someone is churning out Seeker), but would a few options hurt? Especially options that actually make the characters we invest hundreds of hours in look as important as the ones we invest like 12 hours in?

BraXzy

See my old age failed me. Lmao. Jk im a young buck.

Hated opening the guide to switch. Ugh

Another pro tip, if you have a second tag you use to play with BK friends (sorry friends), you don't need to dashboard to switch tags or close build.

Just go to Roster (Press X in Multi menu) and then the Options/Back button to change profile in-game.

Another pro tip, if you have a second tag you use to play with BK friends (sorry friends), you don't need to dashboard to switch tags or close build.

Just go to Roster (Press X in Multi menu) and then the Options/Back button to change profile in-game.

Thanks for the pro tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom