• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHerer

BTB champion seems to be somewhat meaningless. Seems like every other game has a champion and they don't always do too great. I actually matched a BTB champion that had a negative k/d... I was pretty surprised when I saw that. I know k/d isn't that meaningful but still....

Glass

Is the HCS req pack going to come back? I wanted to get it but didn't know it was only up for that weekend -.-

They've not said anything about it coming back as a HCS pack, but apparently they can be found in normal packs now, though the legendary rarity makes them hard to find. Maybe it'll come back at some stage as some big online matches or LAN's take place.

Korosenai

They've not said anything about it coming back as a HCS pack, but apparently they can be found in normal packs now, though the legendary rarity makes them hard to find. Maybe it'll come back at some stage as some big online matches or LAN's take place.

Oh, so everything in it is now in the loot table from the other normal packs?

I'm literally ecstatic to never play warzone again after the update. I actually liked it at first. The most casual random shitfest in the halo franchise.

Nothing, just social playlists so im not forced to make the decision between playing EG in arena, or jimbob723 spawn killing me with random weapons/vehicles.

Youu know youre gonna try the neww maaaaaaappp in waarrzooooonnneeeee*.

pitch in voice slowly rising as i complete the sentence.

Yeah, Arena has just not been pick up and play friendly. I feel like I have to be in the zone and prepared to play, can't just turn on a couple matches and do well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That usually happens when their teammate kills them by accident after you put so much damage in. Have you ever killed a teammate by accident and it was never a betrayal?

ok, makes sense. weird ive ever noticed till tonight.

BOW BEFORE MY SPARTAN'S MIGHT, NERDS

kVHUZ1o.png

Madness

Classic BR? I can't wait to see this and how it plays. I wonder if this little experiment with ADS will continue post Halo 5. It wasn't as offensive or game changing as I'd thought it would be, but I honestly hip fire most of the time so I can avoid having to have the weapon take up more of the screen like that. I especially dislike the pistol ADS. Let's see how Classic BR is, and how it compares to Sentinel with the ACOG or Longshot which is DMR but also a variation of classic but with black sides.

Madness

Or...he's playing at a level the system sees him as a diamond. He's almost Plat, not exactly a huge jump.

More than likely it's the player base. I've seen Gold's matched up with Onyx in some matches. This is definitely due to not being able to go down in ranks, so someone who hit Onyx after 10 matches can never go down below that coupled with the fact the game is probably 18k or less players separated into Arena, Warzone and Campaign, and with region matching being stringent, they're probably aiming for low lag versus similar skill first.

Honestly, the fact that you can't derank me bothers me a ton. Everyone should start at Bronze, too; this placement crap is ridiculously generous with the ranks it gives to some players. I had 6 wins, 4 losses in Team Slayer, so I'm Platinum. My friend had 5W/5L, so he's Gold. Another friend went 4W/6L, and got... Platinum?

If this system is based on wins, it is lousily designed. Or maybe (probably) I'm taking it from too simple of an angle.

How is it, that I'm going positive on every Warzone map, except for Apex 7. It's the only map I just can't get an overall positive K/D. When I finally get a 22-12, next I'm going in the negative. What's going on

Trup1aya

I'm literally ecstatic to never play warzone again after the update. I actually liked it at first. The most casual random shitfest in the halo franchise.

Ha, actually didn't really like regular Warzone at first, but loved Warzone assault. Now I like Warzone a lot for some reason.

In fact , I'm very thankful for these modes because the randomness allows me to not care about winning. Even social playlists don't have that effect on me.

I thought I would be strictly 4v4 leading up to launch.

Trup1aya

Honestly, the fact that you can't derank me bothers me a ton. Everyone should start at Bronze, too; this placement crap is ridiculously generous with the ranks it gives to some players. I had 6 wins, 4 losses in Team Slayer, so I'm Platinum. My friend had 5W/5L, so he's Gold. Another friend went 4W/6L, and got... Platinum?

If this system is based on wins, it is lousily designed. Or maybe (probably) I'm taking it from too simple of an angle.

I think your angle is too simple.

During your placement matches, the system considers your individual skill in addition to you w/l record.

after you are placed in a division, the game will still make calculations of your skill after every match. Even if you lose a lot, You can't go down a division, but the will still try to match you with people of similar skill.

So if you were placed platinum, but can't seem to hack it, you'll start playing against golds. If you are a gold, but win well over 50% of your matches, you'll play against platinums prior to moving up. I think people in general focus way to much on their divisions and not the outcome of their matches. If you are around 50% w/l then the system is working perfectly.

Max placement should be gold. Take out platinum and increase the wins needed to rank up to 7ish instead of 4ish. Get rid of numerical Onyx since it just makes it impossible to find games higher up. Champions could be the top 200 hidden MMR?

If you are around 50% w/l then the system is working perfectly.

Is it, though? Seems like nobody would progress with stats like that. If anything, that means the system isn't working.

In addition, the fact that your rank doesn't mean you're matching with people of your rank means ranks don't matter at all. And in a situation where your rank and actual MMR aren't one and the same, what's the point? In Halo 2 and 3, I rarely got thrown into matches with folks more than five ranks above me, but in Halo 5, I've been in matches with everything from Golds to Onyx in the upper-2000's. If that tells me anything, it's that ranks are completely meaningless.

Trup1aya

Is it, though? Seems like nobody would progress with stats like that. If anything, that means the system isn't working.

In addition, the fact that your rank doesn't mean you're matching with people of your rank means ranks don't matter at all. And in a situation where your rank and actual MMR aren't one and the same, what's the point? In Halo 2 and 3, I rarely got thrown into matches with folks more than five ranks above me, but in Halo 5, I've been in matches with everything from Golds to Onyx in the upper-2000's. If that tells me anything, it's that ranks are completely meaningless.

If your w/l ratio is around 50% that means you are being ranked against players of similar skill. THAT is the purpose of the system.

You 'progress' by being consistently better than the people you are matched against. This would mean your short term win % is higher than 50%. Then the system would start finding you tougher opponents until you get back to 50%.

Your division matters, just not as much as your MMR. It's simply a visual representation of your peak performance level during a season.

The problem with H2-3 system is that your rank was less a measure of shill, and more a measure of how you were using the account. Boosting and deranking really screwed with the systems integrity and its ability to create close match ups.

If your w/l ratio is around 50% that means you are being ranked against players of similar skill. THAT is the purpose of the system.

A fair point. But the way you gain and lose CSR points towards your next numbered tier is very, very strange. I've got a WLR of 1.857 in Team Slayer, with 39 wins and 21 losses. And yet I've been stuck at Diamond 1 since I screamed out of Platinum. Losses take less points than wins earn, and losses with a leaver on your team take even less than that. I get that punishing players who are already hypothetically beaten is harsh, but ranks quickly become meaningless when that's how you approach them. Any solution I could propose to fix that problem would be ripe for exploitation, so I can see why 343i went with this model; that doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

Trup1aya said:
Your division matters, just not as much as your MMR. It's simply a visual representation of your peak performance level during a season.

Maybe so, but "peak performance" doesn't matter to players as much as "actual rank representative of skill" does. If the system is placing folks in everything from Bronze to Platinum after ten matches, then a lot of the time, "peak performance" isn't actually being held to a very high standard of play, especially when my friend with a KDR of .3 is able to place in Platinum, just as I did.

Trup1aya said:
The problem with H2-3 system is that your rank was less a measure of shill, and more a measure of how you were using the account. Boosting and deranking really screwed with the systems integrity and its ability to create close match ups.

I didn't mean to imply that I'd like to see those systems return. I don't. I want to see the system as it is, tweaked to better represent player skill. Honestly, this boils down to one simple factor: start everyone at Bronze, and let them work their way up. Make climbing the hill a rewarding experience, rather than some sort of oddball system that throws people in anything from Gold to Diamond immediately following ten placement matches.

Ramirez

More than likely it's the player base. I've seen Gold's matched up with Onyx in some matches. This is definitely due to not being able to go down in ranks, so someone who hit Onyx after 10 matches can never go down below that coupled with the fact the game is probably 18k or less players separated into Arena, Warzone and Campaign, and with region matching being stringent, they're probably aiming for low lag versus similar skill first.

The only time I've ever seen a gold is when playing with a mixed party and even then it's happened like twice.

The percentage of people who hit Onyx after placement matches in Arena/Slayer is extremely low, I would wager.

Where are you pulling these 18k numbers from anyways? Isn't it ahead of BFront, which is peaking at 50K?

op_ivy

With forge incoming and my inability to sleep, I came up with a potentially cool and unique game type. But before I begin to invest further in the development of my ideas and what could prove to be a difficult design process, I have a question that can make or break this before I even begin --- can you forge and script an entire moving map?

Akai__

With forge incoming and my inability to sleep, I came up with a potentially cool and unique game type. But before I begin to invest further in the development of my ideas and what could prove to be a difficult design process, I have a question that can make or break this before I even begin --- can you forge and script an entire moving map?

Nokyard said you could do stuff like moving bases, iirc. Not sure what the performance limit is for this kind of suff, though.

Here's the post:
Think bigger!

How about moving bases?

You grab the flag from the enemies base, after you find it. Then have to locate your base has which has also moved.

Glass

So what GMT time is the stream tomorrow? Looking forward to it

Yeah should be good, last one was good. Last stream they played a couple of matches, I'm hoping they do the same on the new Warzone and Plaza remix map, maybe show off some of the UI updates etc. Then spend a whole bunch of time going nice and in depth with forge.

I'm excited for Forge.. I should probably get thinking on some ideas before it releases though :3 Fingers crossed for this stream tomorrow. Plz be gud.

I'm a total forge nub, so far the only idea I have is recreating this on that sexy space canvas

luxrgl7sw6s8utrlhdws.jpg

I remember it looking a lot more detailed back in the day...

BraXzy

Yeah should be good, last one was good. Last stream they played a couple of matches, I'm hoping they do the same on the new Warzone and Plaza remix map, maybe show off some of the UI updates etc. Then spend a whole bunch of time going nice and in depth with forge.

I'm a total forge nub, so far the only idea I have is recreating this on that sexy space canvas

Last time watching them play Warzone was kinda meh, I get that they were trying to show off new REWs but reskinned vehicles weren't that exciting. However the fact we have two new maps to preview I'll be happy with seeing matches on them :D

I've dabbled in Forge in the past but the last time I really did anything was in H3 and Reach. I was obsessed with making race maps. So fingers crossed we get our missing gametype...

All I'm gonna say is you guys better be ready for 2Forts 2015.

A long standing tradition, where the haters get outcasted.

The casualties since 2010.

Bobs
Kittens
Xand

Do you want to be in this illustrious company? I thought not.

Last time watching them play Warzone was kinda meh, I get that they were trying to show off new REWs but reskinned vehicles weren't that exciting. However the fact we have two new maps to preview I'll be happy with seeing matches on them :D

I've dabbled in Forge in the past but the last time I really did anything was in H3 and Reach. I was obsessed with making race maps. So fingers crossed we get our missing gametype...

Same, I pretty much exclusively made Race maps. Gungoose racing sounds like it could be really fun, kind of like Rocket Race without the need to team up.

Trup1aya

A fair point. But the way you gain and lose CSR points towards your next numbered tier is very, very strange. I've got a WLR of 1.857 in Team Slayer, with 39 wins and 21 losses. And yet I've been stuck at Diamond 1 since I screamed out of Platinum. Losses take less points than wins earn, and losses with a leaver on your team take even less than that. I get that punishing players who are already hypothetically beaten is harsh, but ranks quickly become meaningless when that's how you approach them. Any solution I could propose to fix that problem would be ripe for exploitation, so I can see why 343i went with this model; that doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

I don't know the specifics on this, but isn't strength of opponent taken into consideration? Losing to someone when odds are against you isn't as hurtful as losing to someone you are favored to beat. Again your division rank isn't you skill (that's your MMR), it's just your peak performance level.

Do you feel like you are better than your diamond 1 opponents? If not then you are being placed appropriately

Triscuitable said:
Maybe so, but "peak performance" doesn't matter to players as much as "actual rank representative of skill" does. If the system is placing folks in everything from Bronze to Platinum after ten matches, then a lot of the time, "peak performance" isn't actually being held to a very high standard of play, especially when my friend with a KDR of .3 is able to place in Platinum, just as I did.

I don't know how important having a visual representation of actual skill is, seeing as though we've never had that in any Halo game ever... Just failed attempts. I think the placement matches generally do a good job of immediately placing good players in divisions against other good players, and bad players against other bad players. It definately could use some tweaks though. I don't think 10 matches is enough data to accurately place mid level players. They should probably use 10 wins instead.

Triscuitable said:
I didn't mean to imply that I'd like to see those systems return. I don't. I want to see the system as it is, tweaked to better represent player skill. Honestly, this boils down to one simple factor: start everyone at Bronze, and let them work their way up. Make climbing the hill a rewarding experience, rather than some sort of oddball system that throws people in anything from Gold to Diamond immediately following ten placement matches.

The problem with climbing the hill is that it makes a bad experience for people who actually belong at the bottom of the hill. You'll always have good players on fresh accounts playing in bronze matches... And no way to guaruntee people who actually belong at that level will get fair matches. It would be similar to the halo 2 deranking issues, maybe even worse now that we can create multiple accounts at no extra charge. It's much better to quickly assess a players skill level, then immediately place him/her in a division where they'll have tough matches.

op_ivy

Same, I pretty much exclusively made Race maps. Gungoose racing sounds like it could be really fun, kind of like Rocket Race without the need to team up.
But teaming up anyways and having your brokebackbro dropping unlimited nades at geese behind you could be fun.

luxrgl7sw6s8utrlhdws.jpg

I remember it looking a lot more detailed back in the day...
The day we get a good facing worlds clone for CTF and it's added to the hoppers I will cry man tears of love.

Madness

The only time I've ever seen a gold is when playing with a mixed party and even then it's happened like twice.

The percentage of people who hit Onyx after placement matches in Arena/Slayer is extremely low, I would wager.

Where are you pulling these 18k numbers from anyways? Isn't it ahead of BFront, which is peaking at 50K?

Ok? You're Onyx in your Playlists that means they're going to tend to keep you mostly near Onyx, since it's actually Semi-Pro. But the huge numbers of people at Gold, Platinum and Diamond means there will be tons of variation and overlap, especially with the fact it only took 10 matches to place people, and there is no derank, effectively making emblems representative of nothing really at all.

The hidden MMR is probably a good indicator of skill and matching, not so much emblem which is what I was hinting at. I wanted ranks for a long time, but this 10 match placement, no derank, only win/loss, coupled with the sheer amount of quitters or solo players matching up with 2 man or 4 man reams,, I'd rather they get rid of the emblems altogether, just keep their internal MMR for matchmaking so we get close matches.

Also, I don't know, is most played current active users or 24 hour unique users? If it's current active users, then Battlefront is 7th right now with 11k Xbox One players, while Halo 5 sits 9th. If it's unique 24 hour users, Battlefront sits 7th with 47k peak users, while Halo 5 sits 9th. Now for Halo, that population has to be towards campaign, arena and warzone, and it's especially worse when you add in region based latency matching over skill and it's no wonder you get the issues some players are having.

Yup. First off they need to show you what loot quality something is when in your customisation options. Not sure how this one was overlooked when they're building a system based around loot and item rarity.

Then there needs to be a player card that pops up when you inspect someone, like Destiny or World of Warcraft. Having great gear isn't half as fun with no one around to show it off to. The variations of each armour are so subtle, how are people going to know I'm using the ultra rare Mark VI not the common version, they look so similar.

Lastly the armour needs to be made more distinct, it's way too hard to read most of it, which I mainly put down to the coloured undersuits merging with the same colour armour. I think they should make undersuits black by default, and have the coloured ones as unlocks or vice versa, then its an extra unlock for the Arena side of REQ cards, since that could always use more options. With the picture on the right you can actually tell what is armour and what is the undersuit.

m7qkpca.jpg

They had a poll for colour undersuit yes/no and no won by a large margin, yet they still added colours to the undersuit. It hides the armor shape I agree. It's small details like this that ruin halo for me, it might sound lame and sad to others but it's an unwanted change along with all the fugly and stupid armors that have no reason to exist other then preorder DLC with flashy pointy bits.

Bravo on population:

Hey all, wanted to jump in and clear up any confusion with the sampled playlist numbers. As many of you know, HaloTracker's numbers are sampled, meaning they don't account for anywhere near the total number of players in Halo 5 or specific playlists. I am happy to say that not only are the playlist numbers much higher, but that we've actually seen increases from the last few weeks, not a massive dropoff like some have extracted from the HaloTracker data. That would indeed be a problem, and I'm pleased to say we're actually looking at quite the opposite.

These false player count estimates have a tendency to grow into rumors about the state of the game, and while I'm unable to share exact numbers, I'll do my best to add some clarity wherever I'm able. If I miss a post or a thread that needs some clarity, please feel free to tweet or tag me and I'll do my best to jump in with some clarity (in cases where it doesn't compromise my employment).

people are reading way too much into who they are matched with and halotracker. i know, whats bravo supposed to say? But I've seen halo in front of battlefront two nights in a row now. seems to be telling the truth.

I just hope my internet is working by the time the update drops ;___;

I've got this really fun idea for a Chiron remake where there's a tone of traps and shit so you're fighting the map in actual fact, rather than it just feeling that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom