• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

If they really want to alleviate population concerns, add in the counter that has been in every Halo game besides MCC and 5. What are they hiding, bad numbers? Probably not going by Bravo, so why not show them? Titanfall had one added in months after the game launched when it had a tiny population.

Madness

Bravo on population:

people are reading way too much into who they are matched with and halotracker. i know, whats bravo supposed to say? But I've seen halo in front of battlefront two nights in a row now. seems to be telling the truth.

Well what do they expect? They cut out population numbers so people like Fyrewulff couldn't make any threads or people wouldn't meme bugs bunny on their daily populations and so they now have to resort to blog posts pleading with people not to read third party API data to get numbers. How about instead of blogs Bravo, bring population counters back. There are very few cons aside from hits to egos and a lot of pros, because ALL PLAYERS can see what is popular and what isn't.

link1201

Well what do they expect? They cut out population numbers so people like Fyrewulff couldn't make any threads or people wouldn't meme bugs bunny on their daily populations and so they now have to resort to blog posts pleading with people not to read third party API data to get numbers. How about instead of blogs Bravo, bring population counters back. There are very few cons aside from hits to egos and a lot of pros, because ALL PLAYERS can see what is popular and what isn't.

It can lead to a downward spiral though. People may think a playlist isn't popular so maybe they shouldn't like it or play it either.

I have been pretty happy with the time games get going. I am usually on a game within seconds.

Madness

It can lead to a downward spiral though. People may think a playlist isn't popular so maybe they shouldn't like it ir play it either.

I have been pretty happy with the time games get going. I am usually on a game within seconds.

That's just hypothetical mumbo jumbo. Oh no, breakout has 3280 players and SWAT has 4000 players and Slayer 8000 players etc.

It's one thing if we're in the low 100's but that never stopped us when we'd play other games. Having a population counter is a good thing, and the fact Bravo has to post blogs alleviating concerns shows that it wasn't the right decision yet again. MCC I could understand wanting to avoid the CE vs 2 vs 3 vs 4 flame wars or trolling if one was more popular. But for Halo 5, I genuinely don't like a lot of the ui decisions.

Trup1aya

That's just hypothetical mumbo jumbo. Oh no, breakout has 3280 players and SWAT has 4000 players and Slayer 8000 players etc.

It's one thing if we're in the low 100's but that never stopped us when we'd play other games. Having a population counter is a good thing, and the fact Bravo has to post blogs alleviating concerns shows that it wasn't the right decision yet again. MCC I could understand wanting to avoid the CE vs 2 vs 3 vs 4 flame wars or trolling if one was more popular. But for Halo 5, I genuinely don't like a lot of the ui decisions.

What are the benefits of having a population counter? If you get good matches quickly, then all is well.

When population counters are high, no one cares, when they start to decline, people go into a frenzy. It's really not worth it to have one when MM times indicate a healthy player base.

E92 M3

They should also alleviate MM for Champions, most of the time they can't find a match. What about people in other countries that can't find games after a certain time?

Welfare

It can lead to a downward spiral though. People may think a playlist isn't popular so maybe they shouldn't like it or play it either.

This never happened in Halo 3, Reach, or 4, so I don't know why this hypothetical "one playlist has less people so because that information is visible it'll always have less people" situation is brought up.

The playlist is going to have as many people in it if it didn't have a population counter or not because each playlist caters to specific crowds and however big that potential crowd is will be the potential amount of players the playlist gets. Not some number of how many players are in the playlist.

Grifball was constantly in the bottom 5 playlist in Halo 4, does this mean it wasn't good or fun, or that players looked at the <1,000 people playing the playlist and did not want to go in? No, it's that it caters to a niche crowd that'll play it for a long time and can be accessed by others whenever they want to fuck around in.

Not every playlist will be as popular as Team Slayer.

IHaveIce

Banned
Man I understand some of you like Infection/ Grifball or Race, but how anyone can ask them to be made before Oddball, KOTH or other base staple Halo gametypes exist is a huge mystery to me.

Then may the best (or worst, considering the intent here) map win.

I had doodled this up about a month ago as a means of adding another layer to map control under the pretense that individual rooms / sectors would have multiple teleporters:

12067192_1684399211803773_929853976_n.jpg

You could even have a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" setup similarly to how that one Reach remake of Chiron actually had rooms put together and divided by mancannons / shield doors, where blowing out the power / teleporter in a room sent it into emergency mode and opened up a wall or two revealing it to be interlocked with one of the other sectors.

I had doodled this up about a month ago as a means of adding another layer to map control under the pretense that individual rooms / sectors would have multiple teleporters:

12067192_1684399211803773_929853976_n.jpg

You could even have a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" setup similarly to how that one Reach remake of Chiron actually had rooms put together and divided by mancannons / shield doors, where blowing out the power / teleporter in a room sent it into emergency mode and opened up a wall or two revealing it to be interlocked with one of the other sectors.

I was thinking something a little more Terminal-esque. Lots of automated deathtraps.

There's no way to make Chiron better, people. Save your sanity now.

The goal here isn't better, it's funny.

link1201

People tend to have less than favorable initial opinions of things they can see aren't popular. I am not sure how that can be considered hypothetical.

Madness

What are the benefits of having a population counter? If you get good matches quickly, then all is well.

When population counters are high, no one cares, when they start to decline, people go into a frenzy. It's really not worth it to have one when MM times indicate a healthy player base.

What benefit is any information? Why do I need to know how accurate I am when my bullets hit the other guy and he dies. What benefit is there to even show gametype or map before match starts? I mean if I'm playing Slayer, I know it's a Slayer match and on these 6-8 matches.

I mean people are already in a frenzy if we have to use battlefront stays and Xbox live most played and halo tracker API just to try and explain and gauge matchmaking times and why certain regions may struggle. It's why Bravo had to do a detailed blog post. Something that could've been alleviated with simple population counters, that have been around in previous games and are in competing games. But nah, obfuscation is clearly the way to go. Just pretend numbers are good, matches are fast you don't need to know every little detail right? Despite many of us wanting to know said details.

Edit: If Breakout has a higher population than SWAT how is that something we shouldn't know? If the weekend playlist is barely getting 300 people for doubles and yet gets 2500 for Team Snipers, things like that are important to know so that we can understand why Doubles doesn't get a playlist etc. Whatever. Not like my opinion matters much. I wanted gamertags and emblems visible on the right where fireteam is, but instead I heard some armchair analysis of how that will surely lead to quitting and will really ruin the experience and we should go into matches blind, as if quitting wasn't currently rampant already.

Am I the only one who feels like the percentage of players who use Forge isn't at large as 343 thinks? My view of the average multiplayer user is one who is focused on just playing the game and winning. That's how I am at least. I mean apparently this is the best Forge yet packed with features but I can't help but think it could be underutilized and resources could have been put towards other features fans are dying for. I'm excited to try out custom maps through the file browser, just concerned there will be enough to satisfy.

link1201

Am I the only one who feels like the percentage of players who use Forge isn't at large as 343 thinks? My view of the average multiplayer user is one who is focused on just playing the game and winning. That's how I am at least. I mean apparently this is the best Forge yet packed with features but I can't help but think it could be underutilized and resources could have been put towards other features fans are dying for. I'm excited to try out custom maps through the file browser, just concerned there will be enough to satisfy.

I think they have a good idea of how popular it is. I am with you I never use it aside from the finished products. I like that it's there for maps etc. It's a niche but I think the dividends it pays outweigh the costs.

I think thats this is something that should have been there day 1. I think a lot of people who might have used it, might have moved onto other games by now and wont get to try it. Others might not even be informed that its even coming.

Anything that isn't there day 1, to me, is too late other than maybe DLC maps but even then, some people get it some people dont. Even when its free.

its super important that most of the features are available on the retail release and not after.

but I can't help but think it could be underutilized and resources could have been put towards other features fans are dying for. I'm excited to try out custom maps through the file browser, just concerned there will be enough to satisfy.

I'm of a completely different mind. Only a minority actually use Forge, but the majority definitely play on Forge maps. Vesting the community with the ability to alter and create maps to an infinite number of permutations is perhaps the utmost worthwhile investment and decision a studio can make; you give flexible tools to millions of people, and they'll deliver an unending amount of content. My dream for the Battlefield series is that Dice would discard the banal, one-playthrough campaign entirely, and instead invest those resources into a map editor. For the significant rejuvenating and enduring effect that Forge has had on past Halo entries, I believe not enough resources have been put in. Halo 5 appears to be the first time Forge has actually had a permanent team alongside.

Trup1aya

What benefit is any information? Why do I need to know how accurate I am when my bullets hit the other guy and he dies. What benefit is there to even show gametype or map before match starts? I mean if I'm playing Slayer, I know it's a Slayer match and on these 6-8 matches.

I mean people are already in a frenzy if we have to use battlefront stays and Xbox live most played and halo tracker API just to try and explain and gauge matchmaking times and why certain regions may struggle. It's why Bravo had to do a detailed blog post. Something that could've been alleviated with simple population counters, that have been around in previous games and are in competing games. But nah, obfuscation is clearly the way to go. Just pretend numbers are good, matches are fast you don't need to know every little detail right? Despite many of us wanting to know said details.

Edit: If Breakout has a higher population than SWAT how is that something we shouldn't know? If the weekend playlist is barely getting 300 people for doubles and yet gets 2500 for Team Snipers, things like that are important to know so that we can understand why Doubles doesn't get a playlist etc. Whatever. Not like my opinion matters much. I wanted gamertags and emblems visible on the right where fireteam is, but instead I heard some armchair analysis of how that will surely lead to quitting and will really ruin the experience and we should go into matches blind, as if quitting wasn't currently rampant already.

Wha? game stats are useful fore guaging your performance. Figuring out what areas you would like to improve.

Population counters are useful for nothing at all. You WANT the information, but can't give a single example of how such info would benefit anyone in any way.

I can think of several ways such info would have a negative impact. 343 knows this first hand... Hence no counters.

There's currently no frenzy, because there is no data. Just a little bit of speculation on forums. But the general public just wants to get into good matches quickly.

Why does anyone need to know breakout's population in relation to swat? If people like swat, they play swat. If people like breakout they play breakout.

As far as playlist management, the developer has the data needed to asses what should be permanent. Providing you with that data, again, accomplishes nothing.

Or...he's playing at a level the system sees him as a diamond. He's almost Plat, not exactly a huge jump.
But the diamonds just shit on me. 90% of the time I lose a 1v1 to them.

I dunno. If i get into a Gold only match though I generally dominate. 15-1 the othet night. I think I belong in Platinum, which I did get last night. But I def can't hang with a diamond. Especially if they're using team work and I'm soli queing.

I'm of a completely different mind. Only a minority actually use Forge, but the majority definitely play on Forge maps. Vesting the community with the ability to alter and create maps to an infinite number of permutations is perhaps the utmost worthwhile investment and decision a studio can make; you give flexible tools to millions of people, and they'll deliver an unending amount of content. My dream for the Battlefield series is that Dice would discard the banal, one-playthrough campaign entirely, and instead invest those resources into a map editor. For the significant rejuvenating and enduring effect that Forge has had on past Halo entries, I believe not enough resources have been put in. Halo 5 appears to be the first time Forge has actually had a permanent team alongside.

I'd say the majority play on them especially now at least is because there's no other options. Big Team is all forge maps for example. Breakout is forge created. I do agree with your point that having the flexibility to modify maps is always great, especially for competitive play. Hopefully creators who are passionate about the HCS will make some great maps to use in league play and make it even into Team Arena/Slayer playlist.

Wha? game stats are useful fore guaging your performance. Figuring out what areas you would like to improve.

Population counters are useful for nothing at all. You WANT the information, but can't give a single example of how such info would benefit anyone in any way.

I can think of several ways such info would have a negative impact. 343 knows this first hand... Hence no counters.

There's currently no frenzy, because there is no data. Just a little bit of speculation on forums. But the general public just wants to get into good matches quickly.

Why does anyone need to know breakout's population in relation to swat? If people like swat, they play swat. If people like breakout they play breakout.

As far as playlist management, the developer has the data needed to asses what should be permanent. Providing you with that data, again, accomplishes nothing.
Pretty much this. Low population numbers deter people from playlists, and high population numbers may attract people to crappy, more popular gametypes like SWAT. Still waiting for someone to provide a list of benefits that population counters provide compared to the mountains of shit we've seen them stir lol

Strider

So at this point Breakout is just going to remain in Team Arena? Not enough people are complaining I guess.

I try to complain enough about it to make up for the people that aren't :p

I want a playlist that includes obj game types without breakout so badly.

It's why I stick to slayer right now... Just to avoid that mode.

So at this point Breakout is just going to remain in Team Arena? Not enough people are complaining I guess.

I can't see them removing it. The HCS set of gametypes includes Breakout variants and I think they are taking that into account. I don't like it or agree with it either; I don't think enough players even pros are a big fan of it. Would rather just have Slayer and Objective in the playlist and on the circuit.

Strider

I don't even think breakout is bad necesssarily... I don't like it but I'm sure a decent number of people do.

It just plays so much differently than any other gametype given there are no shields that grouping it with other modes just feels... off.

I don't even think breakout is bad necesssarily... I don't like it but I'm sure a decent number of people do.

It just plays so much differently than any other gametype given there are no shields that grouping it with other modes just feels... off.

I think it'd be better if they took out the transitions between each round and jumping off the lifts. Some times the games feel to drag on.

Leyasu

Banned
Pretty much this. Low population numbers deter people from playlists, and high population numbers may attract people to crappy, more popular gametypes like SWAT. Still waiting for someone to provide a list of benefits that population counters provide compared to the mountains of shit we've seen them stir lol

You'll never see a convincing argument for population counters as there is isn't one. Just like the people clamouring for ranks to be shown before the game. Nothing good will come from bringing that back either.. 343 made a good decision.

Some people are just never happy.

JackHerer

I don't hate Breakout but I do hate when it comes up in Team Arena. It's long, it's boring, and doesn't feel much like Halo. It throws me off my rhythm and usually makes me want to switch playlists after the game is over whether we win or not.

TCKaos

Can't wait to make Petrichor Evolved. I've been thinking about things I need to do, and giving players on the bottom floor more cover and generally making it a more interesting combat area come to mind.

The Pier and Bridge are really nice, and I like them, and I'm still a huge fan of the bases, but the whole open area that connects them isn't interesting to play in. Also, I'll have to tune weapon placement. Beam Rifle dominated the map and the Concussion Rifle was literally nothing.

jem0208

I know I've decided not to play a playlist multiple times because the population was lower than others. It leads to a snowballing effect (or anti snowball?) where fewer players are on so less people join to play. There's very little benefit to having individual population counters for playlists.

An overall population counter would be fine but there's no positives or negatives to having it, it's basically pointless. Literally the only use it has is for forum warriors.

Defect

Will the Spnkr and Classic Br be available in forge? I'm not talking about the extra Warzone variants, just the default ones.

Karl2177

I'll be real, I want a counter so I can avoid lists. I don't want to waste 20 minutes just to get into a bad match and feel like I'm stuck there just because I waited so long. If a list has low numbers, cut it instead of letting it sit there for months on end while it's dead.

I'll be real, I want a counter so I can avoid lists. I don't want to waste 20 minutes just to get into a bad match and feel like I'm stuck there just because I waited so long. If a list has low numbers, cut it instead of letting it sit there for months on end while it's dead.
And here's the exact reason they'll never add them.

I'll be real, I want a counter so I can avoid lists. I don't want to waste 20 minutes just to get into a bad match and feel like I'm stuck there just because I waited so long.
Quickly finding games in Halo 5 seems to be the norm, unless for high ranks. Also:
If a list has low numbers, cut it instead of letting it sit there for months on end while it's dead.[/B]
This is why we don't have a Team Objective playlist though, right? And we don't have population counters right now.

pieface

Why do I constantly play Deadlock!? I really hate it and I seem to play it 3/4 of the time. 3 games of BTB tonight, 3 on Deadlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom