• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Breakout is also an instant quit. Terrible mode that already has a playlist dedicated to it, for those who enjoy terrible things. Won't entertain that nonsense anymore when I'm trying to play Strongholds and CTF.

You could at least stay in the match for those who don't enjoy it either but just want to get a win. Ruining it for the rest of us.

Madness

I just think if you hate the game, hate playing, and are frustrated all the time, stop playing/posting. Reminds me of those types of guys in games who whine nonstop. 'Oh come on how come my ghost gets killed first, this is bullshit', 'what my melee hit first', 'and another spartan charge, I hate this mechanic' etc. We all know the type right?

malfcn

I enjoy the game. It's just frustrating when you see someone body 4 grenades and 3 melee with no shield and they stomp on everyone. It makes you scratch your head and wonder what's going on. You're trying to be competitive, but some external force is getting in the way.

Trup1aya

I've been shit on before... But never because I felt like a team had access to better weapons. They were just better organized, and played better.

I'm sure there are some cases where a whale is also skilled enough to keep earning the req energy required to continuously spawn OP weapons, but I can't say that my enjoyment of the game mode has ever been negatively effected by my refusal to buy Req packs.

Imo, the only balancing needed is to try to form teams with similar collections. If one team has a fully loaded whale, make sure the other team has one too

I still think plasma grenades are near useless in this game. Grenades in general aren't near as important in Halo 5 as they were in any of the Bungie games (but they were also pretty bad in 4 without the loadout mods). I feel like with the addition of all of the maneuverability, grenade velocity should be faster, damage radius should be higher, plasma grenade timer should be faster. Promethean nades are the best by far, IMO.

The gunplay in Halo 5 is better than any Halo but I feel like the grenades miss the mark for a Halo game.

I just think if you hate the game, hate playing, and are frustrated all the time, stop playing/posting. Reminds me of those types of guys in games who whine nonstop. 'Oh come on how come my ghost gets killed first, this is bullshit', 'what my melee hit first', 'and another spartan charge, I hate this mechanic' etc. We all know the type right?

Getting Spartan Charged is infuriating lol, but if I'm going to bitch about stuff like that I most likely mute my mic first.

I still think plasma grenades are near useless in this game. Grenades in general aren't near as important in Halo 5 as they were in any of the Bungie games (but they were also pretty bad in 4 without the loadout mods). I feel like with the addition of all of the maneuverability, grenade velocity should be faster, damage radius should be higher, plasma grenade timer should be faster. Promethean nades are the best by far, IMO.

The gunplay in Halo 5 is better than any Halo but I feel like the grenades miss the mark for a Halo game.

I don't know, I think they do just fine. I've had plenty of experiences where I have half shields trying to stay back and a grenade comes from no where and blows my head off. I do agree plasmas seem nerfed; prometheans definitely have the edge now, especially since you can trapped pretty easily by them if you're not careful and just running all over the place.

Stormfront should be the easiest map to dominate from the get go.

Send 3 Spartans to take the nearest armoury. Meanwhile everyone else takes the other armoury via the rear tunnel. Set up a defensive wall with 6 spartans facing the enemy base while the remainder take the fortress by flanking it.

m23

LOL, I'm at the point where any time I'm killed by a grenade thrown 20 feet behind me, instant quit.

Too many times I've put grenades right at enemy's feet with virtually no effect, but a grenade 5 body lengths away is going to take me out with my shields at 85%.

Nope. Disrespect. Will not accept. Bye. Try again next match, Halo.

EDIT: Breakout is also an instant quit. Terrible mode that already has a playlist dedicated to it, for those who enjoy terrible things. Won't entertain that nonsense anymore when I'm trying to play Strongholds and CTF.

Well aren't you a joy to play with. Anyone you quits when they play with me get reported and avoided.

Just out of curiosity how often do you get a quit ban, do they actually increase in length?

Seems to vary based on how quickly in sequence the quits come.

Usually they come after 3-5ish quits if there isn't a long sequence of matches or a solid block of time between, start anywhere from 5-10 minutes and add a few minutes each time, then jump to hour increments.

But it's random numbers sometimes. Like 'Your ban will last 9 minutes and 48 seconds'. Sometimes you'll get really short ones, like 2 minutes to start, which is roughly enough time to answer a text message or grab a drink.

Trup1aya

Storefront should be the easiest map to dominate from the get go.

Send 3 Spartans to take the nearest armoury. Meanwhile everyone else takes the other armoury via the rear tunnel. Set up a defensive wall with 6 spartans facing the enemy base while the remainder take the fortress by flanking it.

Unless the other team does the exact same thing

I wonder what the Defence win rate on the Assault version of Raid on Apex 7 is like compared to the other maps -- it seems much easier to defend the Armory compared to the two others.

I really want some more silly game modes soon, had a shitty day today going negative in pretty much every match, even Warzone. I could play a different game but to be honest I just end up wishing I was playing Halo again lol.

Karl2177

I never said my rank doesn't match my skill.

I said I'm a Platinum and I want to play against Platinums. Only the most pathetic 343i apologist would suggest this is a complex or unreasonable request.

I actually had a run of games against Platinum players a few days ago, and it was probably the most enjoyable the game has been in awhile.

Skill isn't a stagnant measure though. The game is matching you against higher opponents, because it thinks you can compete with them at some level. It's saying that your skill is good enough to bump you up to Diamond. Your rampant quitting is only making things worse because your hidden skill is saying "you can play diamonds or higher and be competitive" but your quits are saying "we can't reward the improved skill because of terrible behavior."

I decided to delve into your stats and see what happened in your placements to make you seem like you are so sure that your rank is Platinum.
Code:
Game #	Result	K	A	D	[(opp. rank when matched	opp. final rank)(opp2)...]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game 1	W50-27	9k	6a	7d	[(ur G)	(ur P)	(ur G)	(ur B)]
Game 2	W50-31	12k	6a	10d	[(ur P)	(ur G)	(ur ur)	(ur P)]
Game 3	W50-42	11k	10a	8d	[(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)]
Game 4	W50-32	9k	3a	7d	[(ur D)	(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur G)]
Game 5	W50-49	13k	3a	11d	[(P P)	(ur P)	(P P)	(ur P)]
Game 6	L31-50	7k	2a	12d	[(S O)	(ur D)	(D O)	(ur ur)]
Game 7	L28-50	8k	4a	10d	[(P O)	(ur D)	(P P)	(P P)]
Game 8	L29-50	9k	4a	12d	[(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)]
Game 9	W50-40	13k	7a	14d	[(P P)	(P P)	(ur D)	(ur P)]
Game 10	W32-2	7k	4a	0d	[(P P)	(ur P)	(ur P) 	(G G)]

key:	ur = unranked	B = Bronze	S = Silver
	G = Gold	P = Platinum	D = Diamond
	O = Onyx	C = Champion

Let's break this data up even further. Here's 3 tables of how your record against higher ranked, lower ranked, and equally ranked opponents is based on your at the time ranking, your current ranking, your opponents' at the time rankings, and your opponents' current rankings.

Code:
NOTE: Records will sum up to 40(10 matches against 4 players)
Higher
Opponents >	ATT	Curr
You v

At the time	6-5	27-11
Current		0-1	2-5

Lower
Opponents >	ATT	Curr
You v

ATT		0-0	0-0
Current		23-8	7-1

Equal
Opponents >	ATT	Curr
You v

ATT		22-7	1-1
Current		5-3	19-6

What these say is that during your placements, you went 6-5 against opponents that were higher levels than "Unranked". There aren't any opponents lower than unranked. You went 22-7 against opponents who were also unranked. This means while the system was placing you, there was essentially 72.5% uncertainty on where to place you. If we take the bottom right portion of each section, you were 2-5 against opponents higher than your current ranking. 7-1 against players lower than Platinum. And the important one is 19-6 against those that are the same rank as you.

The system is basically saying you are better than the other people that it initially ranked with you. Therefore, we need to match you against opponents that will determine if you truly are better. The only way the system can do that is if you play against those that are at higher levels than you.

Yes, the system still needs some tweaks. I got placed into Champions for Rumble Rockets, and that was only because I got placed so early on. It has some issues, but your rank is not one of the issues.

link1201

Seems to vary based on how quickly in sequence the quits come.

Usually they come after 3-5ish quits if there isn't a long sequence of matches or a solid block of time between, start anywhere from 5-10 minutes and add a few minutes each time, then jump to hour increments.

But it's random numbers sometimes. Like 'Your ban will last 9 minutes and 48 seconds'. Sometimes you'll get really short ones, like 2 minutes to start, which is roughly enough time to answer a text message or grab a drink.

Ah I see thanks for the info.

EDIT:
New Survey is up for HCFP check your emails.

Ramirez

LOL, I'm at the point where any time I'm killed by a grenade thrown 20 feet behind me, instant quit.

Too many times I've put grenades right at enemy's feet with virtually no effect, but a grenade 5 body lengths away is going to take me out with my shields at 85%.

How old are you??

At this point I'm increasingly certain that the reason you're getting punished so hard by grenades is karma.

singhr1

Why don't you just stop playing? It's clearly not enjoyable to you anymore. Anything that makes you this frustrated is not worth it.

Try answering these questions from Dr. Phil. You might be in an abusive relationship with Halo. http://drphil.com/articles/article/662

Stop living in an abusive relationship with Halo (and don't ruin it for the rest of us).

Trup1aya

Skill isn't a stagnant measure though. The game is matching you against higher opponents, because it thinks you can compete with them at some level. It's saying that your skill is good enough to bump you up to Diamond. Your rampant quitting is only making things worse because your hidden skill is saying "you can play diamonds or higher and be competitive" but your quits are saying "we can't reward the improved skill because of terrible behavior."

I decided to delve into your stats and see what happened in your placements to make you seem like you are so sure that your rank is Platinum.
Code:
Game #	Result	K	A	D	[(opp. rank when matched	opp. final rank)(opp2)...]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game 1	W50-27	9k	6a	7d	[(ur G)	(ur P)	(ur G)	(ur B)]
Game 2	W50-31	12k	6a	10d	[(ur P)	(ur G)	(ur ur)	(ur P)]
Game 3	W50-42	11k	10a	8d	[(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)]
Game 4	W50-32	9k	3a	7d	[(ur D)	(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur G)]
Game 5	W50-49	13k	3a	11d	[(P P)	(ur P)	(P P)	(ur P)]
Game 6	L31-50	7k	2a	12d	[(S O)	(ur D)	(D O)	(ur ur)]
Game 7	L28-50	8k	4a	10d	[(P O)	(ur D)	(P P)	(P P)]
Game 8	L29-50	9k	4a	12d	[(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)	(ur P)]
Game 9	W50-40	13k	7a	14d	[(P P)	(P P)	(ur D)	(ur P)]
Game 10	W32-2	7k	4a	0d	[(P P)	(ur P)	(ur P) 	(G G)]

key:	ur = unranked	B = Bronze	S = Silver
	G = Gold	P = Platinum	D = Diamond
	O = Onyx	C = Champion

Let's break this data up even further. Here's 3 tables of how your record against higher ranked, lower ranked, and equally ranked opponents is based on your at the time ranking, your current ranking, your opponents' at the time rankings, and your opponents' current rankings.

Code:
NOTE: Records will sum up to 40(10 matches against 4 players)
Higher
Opponents >	ATT	Curr
You v

At the time	6-5	27-11
Current		0-1	2-5

Lower
Opponents >	ATT	Curr
You v

ATT		0-0	0-0
Current		23-8	7-1

Equal
Opponents >	ATT	Curr
You v

ATT		22-7	1-1
Current		5-3	19-6

What these say is that during your placements, you went 6-5 against opponents that were higher levels than "Unranked". There aren't any opponents lower than unranked. You went 22-7 against opponents who were also unranked. This means while the system was placing you, there was essentially 72.5% uncertainty on where to place you. If we take the bottom right portion of each section, you were 2-5 against opponents higher than your current ranking. 7-1 against players lower than Platinum. And the important one is 19-6 against those that are the same rank as you.

The system is basically saying you are better than the other people that it initially ranked with you. Therefore, we need to match you against opponents that will determine if you truly are better. The only way the system can do that is if you play against those that are at higher levels than you.

Yes, the system still needs some tweaks. I got placed into Champions for Rumble Rockets, and that was only because I got placed so early on. It has some issues, but your rank is not one of the issues.

I've explained this to him (in much less detail of course), but he's far more concerned about whether or not everyone's ranks are identical than he is about whether or not the system is getting him good matches.

The irony is, if he didn't quit so much, his rank would match that of his opponents more often. He's literally screwing up the system for himself, then complaining that the system is screwed up.

What's the best method of evading or countering the Spartan charge?
Try to predict it by noticing an aggressive/persistent red dot charging at you without hearing shots fired. Chances are if you see a red dot rapidly approaching and they're not already shooting, they're planning to charge or have a power weapon like the Rocket or Shotgun. Best bet is to not challenge that as they're BOASTING WITH CONFIDENCE, granted you're paying attention to how many Rocket shots are left, etc. - ie: run away.

If it's too late and they're in your sight, thrust diagonally backwards. The charge won't reach you if you react quick enough. If you're full health, it's sometimes good to just trade melees then shoot since they're stuck in the animation. Alternatively, if you can land a few shots as they're charging at you, then you could just trade melees and they'll die.

Ramirez

-Watching your radar
-Checking corners
-Melee them as they're charging, they take longer to recover.
-Evade away or over them

SC is basically a non factor of you just pay attention to your corners and don't blindly sprint every where.

P2P > Dedicated Servers.

Okay so this is likely more so caused by the matchmaking, but the quality of the games at times is pathetic.
Unload pistol clips into people and nothing. Yesterday I think I got 3 shotted.

I don't usually quit, but once I feel that I'm at a considerable disadvantage compared to the opposing team due to connection, I usually stop trying and just do laps around the map.

They need to improve matchmaking if its not region based priority because I honestly remember having much, much better experiences playing Halo on P2P as a whole.

So i guesz their enhancements on networking isn't working. I thought someone posted something about thay few pages back.

Welp.

Edit.....

Tomorrow though:

Additional Controller Settings are being added (look for a blog next week).

Its next week bitchesssss.(tomorrow) So i know theyll stream a little of the menu settings then post it up after its over.

Who is gonna fine tune it for us lads so we can play like gods again? Im too old to tinker it myself:p
Plz understand

CeeSaw

I wonder if the people that are having shit luck with connections are outside the US. It just seems weird to me because the group I play with 99% of games have been flawless. The worst I have seen is certain nights when random players get disconnected during a match but still are connected to Live/The Party.

P2P > Dedicated Servers.

Okay so this is likely more so caused by the matchmaking, but the quality of the games at times is pathetic.
Unload pistol clips into people and nothing. Yesterday I think I got 3 shotted.

I don't usually quit, but once I feel that I'm at a considerable disadvantage compared to the opposing team due to connection, I usually stop trying and just do laps around the map.

They need to improve matchmaking if its not region based priority because I honestly remember having much, much better experiences playing Halo on P2P as a whole.

The game is objectively better on dedicated servers if you have a good connection. This is like saying SD is better than HD because the game looks better on your SD TV.

Madness

If you cannot see them, then there is pretty much nothing aside from a few twitch movements like thrust yourself if you hear someone near you.

You shouldn't rely on motion tracker too much, because you need to be able to counter it in the off chance they ever turn off motion trackers on you're playing SWAT or something. Just check corners, listen for sprinting steps, and become comfortable with thrust. One of the most underutilized tactics, and one I've been trying to work on is the jump up and thrust backwards. If you see someone sprint at you without shooting, instinctively thrust backwards, you could probably make them miss their charge

But then again, that's the whole point of Spartan Charge. It's an essential 8 foot melee, and is a casual move added for people who love sprinting everywhere. I'm almost certain the people who spartan charge all the time were probably usually the first ones dead in Halo 4 or the ones who would stick you with plasma before they died. I dislike the move, but what can you do.

I wonder if the people that are having shit luck with connections are outside the US. It just seems weird to me because the group I play with 99% of games have been flawless. The worst I have seen is certain nights when random players get disconnected during a match but still are connected to Live/The Party.

Northeast US with 120/40 connection.

Korosenai

I could have swore a couple weeks ago when I last checked this thread you said you were done with Halo 5.

Ramirez

MEEEEEEEENKE!!

VW1E1T3.jpg

If you cannot see them, then there is pretty much nothing aside from a few twitch movements like thrust yourself if you hear someone near you.

You shouldn't rely on motion tracker too much, because you need to be able to counter it in the off chance they ever turn off motion trackers on you're playing SWAT or something. Just check corners, listen for sprinting steps, and become comfortable with thrust. One of the most underutilized tactics, and one I've been trying to work on is the jump up and thrust backwards. If you see someone sprint at you without shooting, instinctively thrust backwards, you could probably make them miss their charge

But then again, that's the whole point of Spartan Charge. It's an essential 8 foot melee, and is a casual move added for people who love sprinting everywhere. I'm almost certain the people who spartan charge all the time were probably usually the first ones dead in Halo 4 or the ones who would stick you with plasma before they died. I dislike the move, but what can you do.
I agree. It's the new noob combo in my eyes, but more effective if you have low shields.

Madness

They should just do away with the emblems and the ranks. The constant quitters, 10 matches to place Onyx or Champion is just ridiculous, cannot derank, the fact that you can barely see the other people's ranks until after match, or even see their gamertags or spartan ranks/emblems, coupled with solo players being matched with pre-made parties and whatnot, it hasn't been fun. Keep the internal mmr they have, but I wonder how much of the playerbase they could have kept without this rank system in place.

I was a huge fan of Josh Menke coming on board and thought we'd get an extremely well designed and comprehensive rank system, but seeing it place now, I'd rather go back to the Ranked/Social split of Halo 3 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom