• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Placement matches are kinda fucked too.

But yea this is by far the best ranking system in a halo game. 1-50 ladder system is trash tbh

How are they fucked?? Didn't they saw two of the playlists were bugged? If we're talking strictly Arena/Slayer, does anyone here actually feel like they placed way out of their league?

Some people act as if the game is just handing Onyx and Champion out left and right, and I don't see this happening from the people I play with. If they have, it was in FFA/SWAT, which I'm pretty sure they said had problems in the last update?

I get the deranking complaint to an extent, but ultimately, I think the hidden MMR eventually shakes out to the point that the emblem doesn't really matter, if you're struggling in your division, that is.

Strider

How are they fucked?? Didn't they saw two of the playlists were bugged? If we're talking strictly Arena/Slayer, does anyone here actually feel like they placed way out of their league.

Yes I'm referring to the current bugged playlists and how it is, at the moment, basically handing out onyx rankings in playlists like ffa.

Once we get adjustments yea it'll be fine...

Like I said. This is way better than the 1-50 system. I'm agreeing with you lol

Ramirez

Yes I'm referring to the current bugged playlists and how it is, at the moment, basically handing out onyx rankings in playlists like ffa.

Once we get adjustments yea it'll be fine...

Like I said. This is way better than the 1-50 system. I'm agreeing with you lol

Yea, 1-50 was trash, the rose tint on that system is something else.

Madness

The entire crux of my post was that the visible emblems just don't matter in this game and that they should just do away with them since they are in essence useless and probably turn off more of the casual/social players than provide anything meaningful for players who actually wanted ranking systems.

Plus, I already listed the myriad of problems, has nothing to do with rose tint for 1-50 which had its own issues. I didn't think it was an issue but there is a reason they're making BTB a nonranked playlist and I bet there are a surprising number of people who aren't playing because they don't want the 'visible' emblems. But they're essentially meaningless here, especially once you have enough matches in that the internal MMR makes you have tight matches.

Trup1aya

They should just do away with the emblems and the ranks. The constant quitters, 10 matches to place Onyx or Champion is just ridiculous, cannot derank, the fact that you can barely see the other people's ranks until after match, or even see their gamertags or spartan ranks/emblems, coupled with solo players being matched with pre-made parties and whatnot, it hasn't been fun. Keep the internal mmr they have, but I wonder how much of the playerbase they could have kept without this rank system in place.

I was a huge fan of Josh Menke coming on board and thought we'd get an extremely well designed and comprehensive rank system, but seeing it place now, I'd rather go back to the Ranked/Social split of Halo 3 instead.

I think this is a exaggeration of the issues. Seeing your opponents rank before the match doesn't really add to the experience. In the past, we've seen that lead to quitters as people jump to conclusions about how the match will play out.

Solo vs parties IS an issue that needs to be addressed.

The placement matches actually work well for identifying great players and bad players, but their doesn't seem to be enough data to accurately place mid level players. That can be fixed by requiring more placement matches, or making the placement after 10wins, instead of just 10 matches.

I don't see how, removing the visible ranks altogether would make the experience any better. People generally enjoy the sense of accomplishment associated with grinding out of a division.

Strider

Oh yea I bought an Elite controller and it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Pretty excited about it...

People reported issues with the hair triggers at first though if i remember correctly. Guns like the Plasma Pistol and Caster won't charge up until you go and change some setting? I'll have to look that up I guess...

Madness

What experience? I'm talking about a game bleeding users and a visible ranking system that is in essence meaningless and adds little while also turning off a large amount of players you want to stick around. There is a reason BTB is going social only.

Thought you're right, no point arguing, seasons are almost here and they will in essence reset all the ranks and then keep everything month to month, those who place will get special emblems for that month before they're reset the next season and so on. Will be interesting to see how the system turns out.

Trup1aya

What experience? I'm talking about a game bleeding users and a visible ranking system that is in essence meaningless and adds little while also turning off a large amount of players you want to stick around. There is a reason BTB is going social only.

Thought you're right, no point arguing, seasons are almost here and they will in essence reset all the ranks and then keep everything month to month, those who place will get special emblems for that month before they're reset the next season and so on. Will be interesting to see how the system turns out.

are you suggesting that visible ranks is responsible for the game "bleeding users". That doesn't make any sense.

If people are being turned off, it's because they are being placed too high and can't derank... Not simply because they can see their rank.

The solution would be to make the initial placements more accurate. Simply, making rank completely invisible wouldn't fix any issue whatsoever. And it would take away something people enjoy: a visual indication of their progress.

I can assure you taking visible ranks out of 4v4 would upset a lot of people. BTB probably should have been social from the beginning. Having JiP in a ranked playlist never made any sense, and it's a gamemode that people like to play for casually. But this is a separate issue.

18-0 kills in team slayer match and 5 more kills for the team to win and a perfection medal was mine. My heart was beating furiously, but couldn't seal the deal... :( ended up 19-2.

z3phon

I hope you guys don't mind me asking this here. Couldn't find any general XBO thread.

I'm having issues getting any invites or sending party invites to my friend.
We both have open NAT and I can send a fire team invite just fine in Halo but from the Xbox UI I can't seem to send or receive any invites.
Also from the Xbox menu when I try to go to my friends profile "Join Party" and "Join Game" are grayed out. Any idea why that is?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trup1aya

Had a bunch of games this morning where I Was a top player in Team Arena. It felt really good.

I've gotta say, I think watching twitch streams has made me a better player. I Don't have time to naturally learn the maps, but i feel like I knew them all really well this morning.

Edit: is there any way to check CSR progress besides halo waypoint?
Seems like it would be easy enough for them to throw it in the post game screen.

Laws00

just had a team arena strong holds match.

i don't know what the fuck was going on here

I was shooting at this guy for like 5 to 6 seconds and I guess there must have been multiple grenade throws or something cause there what seemed to be 6 seconds of explosions till I got disconnected

Leyasu

Banned
Your last couple posts have been warzone complaints. Time to try arena?
Come on, does moving this thread to the community section now mean that criticism is forbidden??

There are still server selection problems. This week I have had Americans in my games wondering why they can't get kills, or why they are dying from three shots or why it was difficult to pick up weapons etc... Lol

The problems are real. I just hope that the social playlists are regional .... No excuses 343 imo

Just a quick reminder for those stressing about the ranking system.

Cartographer's Gift Sneak Peak post last week
CSR TUNING

The arrival of the January 2016 Season also provides us with an opportunity to make adjustments to CSR tuning, and this comes in two different forms. Some of you have noticed the ranking distribution for the SWAT and FFA playlists was a bit skewed, causing lots of players to end up in Onyx. We’ve confirmed this was occurring, and to correct this we have made adjustments to the CSR curve for these playlists. Additionally, the Multiplayer team has made some changes to placement match logic to address the issue of players placing too high across all playlists, and the new settings will ensure that your skill is more accurately represented coming out of placement. As always, we’ll be keeping a close eye on your feedback once these changes go live.

...The January 2016 Season will begin with the Cartographer’s Gift update (set to drop the week of December 15) and end on January 31, which will make the first season a little over a month long.

Just incase people want the Twitch link -

there’s plenty more Forge ahead. On next week’s Halo Livestream community update (in case you’re skimming, it’s Friday, 12/11 at 3 PM PDT on Halo Channel & Twitch.tv/Halo), we’ll be talking with the Forge team, showing off new features, and also taking your community questions. Be sure to join us!

I'm pretty excited to see what ELSE they will talk about regarding FORGE.

Happy Friday yalllllllll

Oh yeah, gotta keep them low as far as 343i's drop feeding is concerned.

i just feel like if we were really getting more than they said in the preview, we'd of heard it.

i dont think theres gonna be much in the way of ui changes.
forge is forge, theres a ton to see in terms of what we can do with it, but the 'file share' sounds about as barebones as it can be for now
and they probably arent bringing out the gametypes, i feel like they would of teased it.

i just feel like if we were really getting more than they said in the preview, we'd of heard it.

forge is forge, theres a ton to see in terms of what we can do with it, but the 'file share' sounds about as barebones as it can be for now
and they probably arent bringing out the gametypes, i feel like they would of teased it.

Pretty much. Exactly what i'm thinking. And it just blows my fucking mind how we still dont have most of the base Halo staple gametypes post-launch.

Trup1aya

Maybe they've learned the ways of under promising and over-delivering... Probably not, but maybe

HOPEFULLY ... when they mention playlist, it also includes the gametypes we are all wanting..

Additionally, social playlists - one of which will be Big Team Battle - will arrive with this next update. Limited join-in-progress windows will be turned back on to allow for full matches of vehicular mayhem at (nearly) all times, and as a note, all social playlists will feature appropriate join-in-progress windows. We know you also want a mix of non-BTB social modes, and we’ll have a mix of currently available modes in a social playlist too - more on that next week.

Probably not because of the last sentence :( ....

Maybe they've learned the ways of under promising and over-delivering... Probably not, but maybe

Pretty much. Exactly what i'm thinking. And it just blows my fucking mind how we still dont have most of the base Halo staple gametypes post-launch.

dont get me wrong i love the monthly content updates, but the really only meaningful things coming to me is a new warzone map. since theres only 3 itll instantly make an impact.

2 new BTB maps is cool, one new arena map ill never see (i still have not played on all the maps but ive played on goddamn eden and the rig more than any other map in halo history it seems).

But without more to DO on these maps im just not as pumped as i want to be.

dont get me wrong i love the monthly content updates, but the really only meaningful things coming to me is a new warzone map. since theres only 3 itll instantly make an impact.

2 new BTB maps is cool, one new arena map ill never see (i still have not played on all the maps but ive played on goddamn eden and the rig more than any other map in halo history it seems).

But without more to DO on these maps im just not as pumped as i want to be.

Bolded to reflect my feelings as well.
Wonder where Stinkles has been. Or even Tashi. hmmmm

Bolded to reflect my feelings as well.
Wonder where Stinkles has been. Or even Tashi. hmmmm

Hopefully they've heard the call and are helping their teams in any way they can... lack of modes and Arena maps has really killed interest for me (and others i'm sure). Bones are there... just needs the meat.

Also - Am i the only one who absolutely hates Warzone?! lol i feel like everyone's obsessed with this thing and i just can't stand it for 5 seconds.

link1201

I hope you guys don't mind me asking this here. Couldn't find any general XBO thread.

I'm having issues getting any invites or sending party invites to my friend.
We both have open NAT and I can send a fire team invite just fine in Halo but from the Xbox UI I can't seem to send or receive any invites.
Also from the Xbox menu when I try to go to my friends profile "Join Party" and "Join Game" are grayed out. Any idea why that is?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
May want to try this thread. They tend to answer about these kind of issues.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1113307

Hopefully they've heard the call and are helping their teams in any way they can... lack of modes and Arena maps has really killed interest for me (and others i'm sure). Bones are there... just needs the meat.

Also - Am i the only one who absolutely hates Warzone?! lol i feel like everyone's obsessed with this thing and i just can't stand it for 5 seconds.

i really like warzone. it needs some changes maybe but honestly if this game just had arena i wouldnt like it as much.

its just a nice way to not care about KD, experiment with different/fun weapons, etc. Sure its "unbalanced" technically but ive just kinda accepted that. its a casual experience as compared to the more hardcore and competitive arena.

losing in arena straight up isnt fun. losing in warzone? meh. whatever.

I like Warzone Assault. Not a fan of standard Warzone though.

And yeah, I need some more game modes. If I'm having a good day I still really enjoy Arena and WZ Assault but if I can't concentrate for shit due to being tired/having had a frustrating day at work/some other reason there's nothing to play that's just a bit of fun. It's very much like StarCraft 2 back in the early WoL days, but at least there you could always DT rush in 4v4...

Trup1aya

I was the same way about Warzone (always loved Warzone Assault) Now I actually kind of like it. Maybe it's because I've got a bunch of weapon certifications now, but I find it to be a nice, stress free gametype...

Actually, I've grown to like every playlist in this game for different reasons. I didn't think that would be the case coming in.

i really like warzone. it needs some changes maybe but honestly if this game just had arena i wouldnt like it as much.

its just a nice way to not care about KD, experiment with different/fun weapons, etc. Sure its "unbalanced" technically but ive just kinda accepted that. its a casual experience as compared to the more hardcore and competitive arena.

losing in arena straight up isnt fun. losing in warzone? meh. whatever.

I can totally see that. I just don't enjoy the mess. The horrid cards... the entire enemy mob system... the minute number of areas to capture... it's Halo meets Battlefield meets Titanfall in a chaotic, un-focused mess.

It just doesn't feel like Halo to me... i'd be happy if that went it's own way and did it's own Halo MOBA type of thing as a whole different title.

I want competitive, objective and social gameplay on small to medium maps... and a side of 8v8 chaos on medium maps with BTB.

As far as winning or losing goes in arena... a good game is a good game and i can honestly say i've had many loses that i've enjoyed because they were fun, difficult games.

I still think plasma grenades are near useless in this game. Grenades in general aren't near as important in Halo 5 as they were in any of the Bungie games (but they were also pretty bad in 4 without the loadout mods). I feel like with the addition of all of the maneuverability, grenade velocity should be faster, damage radius should be higher, plasma grenade timer should be faster. Promethean nades are the best by far, IMO.

The gunplay in Halo 5 is better than any Halo but I feel like the grenades miss the mark for a Halo game.

antitype just had an aneurysm

link1201

Ranks don't bother me either way but my hope is if and when they aren't present the mm is as it is now. The mm for me has been pretty good much better than in past games.

Edit:
Legit excited for tonights stream.
Yeah, me too. I hope they play on all the new maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom