• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Bungie forums would be filled with nothing but "Adapt" and "git gud".

Remember Reach
A majority of those fans are now playing Destiny, thankfully, but you still see a few stragglers pumping the good word of Halo 3. Halo 3 fans, Destiny fans, Bungie fans, etc. are the worst considering Bungie is arguably one of the most disappointing A-Tier developers.
Some people might disagree (Hi Fyrewulff) but the Title Update to Reach that reduced bloom was the best thing that happened to that game. Props to 343 for bringing that about.

100% bloom was some horrendous shit.
Fyre also thinks Halo 3 had the most balanced sandbox lol

ryanjuckett

Neo Member
From Bungie's Lead Sandbox Engineer.

Since when does NeoGAF know about my twitter that almost no one knows exists? It's sort of flattering :)

Unfortunately, that 1AM tweet from bed (while browsing the internet on my phone instead of actually falling asleep) seems like it came across a bit harsh. I get a bit passionate about controls (maybe too much). I didn't mean to target Halo out specifically. You could insert any of ten thousand games in there. Even destiny has input options. It was just the thing I had read at the time and it sparked my thoughts on the design issue for games in general (not specifically competitive shooters). I probably should have just expressed my thoughts on the topic without the example in retrospect. But I suppose the past is the past and we move on.

Now that I seem to have gained a bunch of followers today, I'll have to learn to be a bit more elegant out there on the 140-character-limited wild west of the internet.

So who knows how do you tell your phone to stop buzzing with twitter notifications?

link1201

TU was soo good.

Too bad 343 didn't have the balls to implement the TU everywhere (with no bloom being in MLG). Reach MM became too clustered with the different ways to play it.

Yeah that was weird. It really made getting into a groove hard, I would have preferred a unified experience.

Speaking of Reach, I wonder if they're doing anything special with it before it goes on the BC list. I miss Reach Swat

EDIT:
Since when does NeoGAF know about my twitter that almost no one knows exists? It's sort of flattering :)

NeoGaf is always watching. lol
I appreciate that you took the time to elaborate a bit.

Caja 117

Unfortunately, that 1AM tweet from bed (while browsing the internet on my phone instead of actually falling asleep) seems like it came across a bit harsh. I get a bit passionate about controls (maybe too much). I didn't mean to target Halo out specifically. You could insert any of ten thousand games in there. Even destiny has input options. It was just the thing I had read at the time and it sparked my thoughts on the design issue for games in general (not specifically competitive shooters). I probably should have just expressed my thoughts on the topic without the example in retrospect. But I suppose the past is the past and we move on.

Now that I seem to have gained a bunch of followers today, I'll have to learn to be a bit more elegant out there on the 140-character-limited wild west of the internet.

So who knows how do you tell your phone to stop buzzing with twitter notifications?

Epic!!!

Tawpgun

p sure its because that's all OddOne does. Prowls twitter for game dev deets.

EDIT: At FUNKNOWN

Halo 3 had a lot of dumb pointless weapons, but probably the best BTB sandbox/balance in Halo history.

So in halo 5 the ability to switch positions in vehicles with out getting out is probably one of my favorite small addition to the series. Not only does it look cool but it's an great change from just sitting in your vehicle because the driver got picked off or when you accidentally get in the passenger and want to get in the gunner without waisting time. Just one of the many things that keep making the game feel different and play amazingly.

E92 M3

Don't censor yourself when people complain. I appreciate when people state their thoughts, whether I agree or not.

For those who sink a ton of time into Warzone, how do you feel about the enhanced/longer sights on the BR?

I have pretty much every BR unlocked, but I usually just go with the default one. At first I used the Sentinel or Longshot, but I found I felt like my shots weren't landing properly. Like the sight was giving me a false impression of the weapon's actual effective range.

When I reverted back to the default BR, it basically forced me to get a little closer to the actual target since I didn't have such a clear/long zoom, but all the shots I was shooting felt like they were landing appropriately.

Is this totally in my head? Do the sights also positively impact the BR's practical range and I should use those more often?

I missed the beginning of the stream but I saw some mention of Spartan companies.

What's the dealio?

Better in-game integration and ability to communicate/coordinate with Spartan Company members.

Also, combined stats (K/D, W/L, etc) for Spartan Company members. So you'll be able to see how 'good' your Spartan Company is as a whole unit.

Also, plans to add Spartan Company Commendations. So EXP boosts for Spartan Companies that work together to each such-and-such many kills or specific win conditions across various modes, etc.

IronWarrior

Neo Member

Halo 3 had a lot of dumb pointless weapons, but probably the best BTB sandbox/balance in Halo history.

Halo BTB is at it's best when your precision weapon is at it's worst. That coupled with a good vehicle health system made everything click so well.

H2 and 3 both were filled with junk. Overall I feel like I pick up way more weapons in H3 even if I have a BR though, Mauler/Plasma Rifle/SMG were good to swap for the AR. And the Needler was actually pretty good for once.

Tawpgun

Better in-game integration and ability to communicate/coordinate with Spartan Company members.

Also, combined stats (K/D, W/L, etc) for Spartan Company members. So you'll be able to see how 'good' your Spartan Company is as a whole unit.

Also, plans to add Spartan Company Commendations. So EXP boosts for Spartan Companies that work together to each such-and-such many kills or specific win conditions across various modes, etc.

RIP HaloGAF company

Halo BTB is at it's best when your precision weapon is at it's worst. That coupled with a good vehicle health system made everything click so well.

H2 and 3 both were filled with junk. Overall I feel like I pick up way more weapons in H3 even if I have a BR though, Mauler/Plasma Rifle/SMG were good to swap for the AR. And the Needler was actually pretty good for once.

Yeah, the Halo 3 Sandbox was way more varied and balanced than the Halo 2 Sandbox IMO. H2 was crippled by the emphasis on dual-wielding, and the way the BR could dominate at ANY range.

The spread in Halo 3 could be annoying, but it only really had a significant impact at longer ranges. And considering the weapon was designed as a mid-range utility weapon, not the any-range destroyer it was in Halo 2, I found 'hey, this weapon I'm used to dominating with is forcing me to try and navigate the fire-fight to a closer, more befitting range' roughly as convincing an argument as 'I sure do wish I could cross-map with this shotgun'...

Halo Reach went a step further with bloom to try and force players to actually use the weapons within their intended range, or suffer poor accuracy outside them. But it wasn't implemented as well as it could have been, and players simply went 'fuck it' and spammed the DMR in close anyway, then complained about it.

Halo 5 has the best balance as far as the utility weapons go. My only issue with the balance in regards to the pistol/br/dmr/carbine are that the maps feel so dense and confined, that you lose some of those mid-range dances that were fun in Halo 2 and Halo 3.... I'd like to stretch the DMR's legs outside Warzone and BTB once in awhile.

Ah well.

Something about matching up with your spartan company easier and looking at your spartan companies stats overall??? I think??

You can hear it being discussed starting at 41:20ish during the stream, Here is a link. http://www.twitch.tv/halo/v/29432733

Okay thanks

Seeming as we're on the community side now HaloGAF is accepting 14 members only

Apply to it, and add who you are on HaloGAF in the message, I'll get round to accepting it tomorrow.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halogaf

Okay thanks

Seeming as we're on the community side now HaloGAF is accepting 14 members only

Apply to it, and add who you are on HaloGAF in the message, I'll get round to accepting it tomorrow.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halogaf

I was considering it, but am I better off applying for the B Squad since it's more catered to West Coasters?

Actually, which group is less competitive? I'll just jump into that one so I don't bring the aggregate K/D down as much when the game starts tracking.

Madness

Eh, I personally didn't have any issue with what you posted. I'm a fan of developers giving their opinion without being dogpiled by those who disagree. The last thing you want to do now on your personal twitter is think you have to walk on eggshells because someone may not like or agree with what you posted.

Far too many people get scared and start throwing up disclaimers like 'my views are my own and do not reflect my employer blah blah' or stop posting controversial or things they are passionate about.

I was considering it, but am I better off applying for the B Squad since it's more catered to West Coasters?

Actually, which group is less competitive? I'll just jump into that one so I don't bring the aggregate K/D down as much when the game starts tracking.

We have people like Tawp, Ram and Nutter in HaloGAF company.

So...basically casual central.

#REKT

Thanks for elaborating! My main problem was (and still is) that you chose a bad example to make the point that input should just *work* without needing the user to finetune everything himself (which is what I assume you wanted to say) considering the context in which this update was conceived -- there are many players including myself that really like the new aiming mechanics in Halo 5, but it's also made life difficult for some players, so the only way to keep everyone happy is to allow people to use whatever works for them.

FWIW I think Destiny's controls are excellent, but it's a very different kind of game with very different requirements and I don't think the inclusive and forgiving nature of Destiny's controls would transfer well to Halo 5 considering many of the weapons in the sandbox are balanced through requiring high levels of precision, so those tweets came off as kinda rude and unnecessary drive-by commenting. Sorry for getting a bit too annoyed by some silly comments...

...I always thought the addition of the flag was purely to ensure that matches that came down to 1v1 didn't amount to two dudes just hiding the whole time.

I don't know why teams would go for the flag off the bat. It seems like something you should do either as a last ditch effort to win as the lone survivor, or something to do if you can't find that last dude and just want to finish the match.

And the Bungie forums would be filled with nothing but "Adapt" and "git gud".

Remember Reach

That's pretty much what these and other forums are full of in response to issues voiced with Halo 5....

There are always people going to reflexively defend the latest game in the series they love, especially if they personally happen to enjoy the changes.

...I always thought the addition of the flag was purely to ensure that matches that came down to 1v1 didn't amount to two dudes just hiding the whole time.

I don't know why teams would go for the flag off the bat. It seems like something you should do either as a last ditch effort to win as the lone survivor, or something to do if you can't find that last dude and just want to finish the match.

Arena Breakout isn't Breakout. It's basically 1-flag CTF.

And yeah I don't get rushing the flag at the start of the round in a single life mode.

TheOddOne

I thought it was a fine tweet, it was frank but made a excellent point. It depends case-by-case how much input the player should have on the controls.

If it makes you feel any better, I’m fine with being referenced from now on as ‘Mr. Douche Twitter Stalker’.
This is all true.

I regret everything.

So true..

Trup1aya

That's pretty much what these and other forums are full of in response to issues voiced with Halo 5....

There are always people going to reflexively defend the latest game in the series they love, especially if they personally happen to enjoy the changes.

Really? It seemed like this forum was full varied opinions. Some people like the existing controls, others really liked the beta controls.

I don't think people were reflexively defending. He suggested that there should only be one dev-defined input configuration and allowing people to configure there controls is 'giving up' .

I'd disagree with that even if the subject was a game I loathed. I wish every game allowed me to Tailor controls to my liking.

Trup1aya

That was the intent of the flag in breakout. But the additional health in Arena Breakout makes flag rushing a legitamate strategy. It's quite risky though, and more logical on some maps than others.

Really? It seemed like this forum was full varied opinions. Some people like the existing controls, others really liked the beta controls.

I don't think people were reflexively defending. He suggested that there should only be one dev-defined input configuration and allowing people to configure there controls is 'giving up' .

I'd disagree with that even if the subject was a game I loathed. I wish every game allowed me to Tailor controls to my liking.

That I agree with, though I think those options need to be really fleshed out when it comes to things like deadzones and stick acceleration. A lot of people don't even know what those are, and I think having dynamic/interactive diagrams that show exactly how the stick is behaving as you're making changes would be huge (think the Xbox Elite stick sensitivity options in the Xbox Accessories app).

I'd argue CE or maybe H5 if they gave us AR/Pistol starts. Halo 3 BTB was fun, but not for the right reasons. I don't know what you think you can do against a competent Hog if the Laser isn't in play, but the BR or other weapons won't do anything. The driver needs to pick up a Bubble Shield and they'll be unstoppable.

RSB

Banned
As someone who also played a lot of Destiny I wholeheartly disagree. Slow sensitivity, autoaim to the max, ads necessary in most cases and hover jumps.
Nope.
Agreed. Just yesterday I bought the TTK Legendary Edition on PS4 (it's 30 bucks on EU PSN till Monday) and playing it again made me appreciate Halo 5 even more.

Destiny base movement is super slow, the aim-assist is too high, and of course the accuracy and movement speed penalties are still beyond terrible. 30fps feels awful too, especially after playing Halo 5 for a month.

Trup1aya

That I agree with, though I think those options need to be really fleshed out when it comes to things like deadzones and stick acceleration. A lot of people don't even know what those are, and I think having dynamic/interactive diagrams that show exactly how the stick is behaving as you're making changes would be huge (think the Xbox Elite stick sensitivity options in the Xbox Accessories app).
Yeah all that would be nice.

But it's only ever something power users would ever tinker with. So I can understand why there wouldnt be any noob friendly diagrams.

One thing I did agree with in the tweet is that users shouldn't be 'expected' to tinker with input. the default controls should make most users feel at home.

Strider

Up 10 kills. Teammate quits/disconnects....

End up losing 50-49
facepalm.gif

Yeah all that would be nice.

But it's only ever something power users would ever tinker with. So I can understand why there wouldnt be any noob friendly diagrams.

One thing I did agree with in the tweet is that users shouldn't be 'expected' to tinker with input. the default controls should make most users feel at home.

I agree with that, and it's a major issue in Halo 5. No matter how much you tinker with the base 'sensitivity' option for the sticks, it still feels 'off' because of the deadzones and stick acceleration issues.

But 'noobs' (or just, average players) don't have the lexicon necessary to understand or express why they're fighting the controls, the best they can do is say it doesn't 'feel' right. Ot that it's off. And like anybody with a problem that can't express it, they're more likely to just distance themselves from it and put the game away than try to figure out what possible technical issue is getting in the way of the game feeling intuitive for them.

That's where I think the noob-friendly diagrams would help. Explain WHAT these settings are and SHOW exactly how they impact the 'feel' of the game.

I think what probably set people off was the "tip" part and linking to 343 specifically. It made it seem condescending. Then mix the whole Bungie/343 Halo dev awkwardness and the recent timing of Bungie's own update issues, and sprinkle internet snark liberally, and heat for 15-20mins and here we are.

For those who sink a ton of time into Warzone, how do you feel about the enhanced/longer sights on the BR?

I have pretty much every BR unlocked, but I usually just go with the default one. At first I used the Sentinel or Longshot, but I found I felt like my shots weren't landing properly. Like the sight was giving me a false impression of the weapon's actual effective range.

When I reverted back to the default BR, it basically forced me to get a little closer to the actual target since I didn't have such a clear/long zoom, but all the shots I was shooting felt like they were landing appropriately.

Is this totally in my head? Do the sights also positively impact the BR's practical range and I should use those more often?

When I first killed somebody in war zone and took their sentinel BR I really wanted one for myself. I was lucky enough to get one early on but I think you are right. The 4-6x zoom does encourage you to target further than the optimal range of the weapon. I have one with kinetic bolts so it's my go-to until I unlock something better. But I never bother with the 6x.

I would love Longshot 3x scope BR though. Everyone's preferences will probably vary, but I'd say it's probably the best you can get until you start unlocking DMR's. Sentinel scopes are probably most effective on DMRs
I still have 2 DMR skins and no DMR.

Lol I was just saying the same thing earlier. A 30 second delay before the flag appears was mentioned earlier though. I think that's a great solution to preventing flag rushing.

Tawpgun

I'd argue CE or maybe H5 if they gave us AR/Pistol starts. Halo 3 BTB was fun, but not for the right reasons. I don't know what you think you can do against a competent Hog if the Laser isn't in play, but the BR or other weapons won't do anything. The driver needs to pick up a Bubble Shield and they'll be unstoppable.

H5 with AR/Pistol could be good. I'd be down to try in customs if we could ever organize those again. The pistol can still wipe out a gunner pretty easily though. Not nearly as easy as BR however.

And lol CE BTB. Vehicles are literal deathtraps. The CE pistol is insane against vehicles. The hog turret is super innaccurate. Hell you can take out scorpions REAL easy with the pistol.

I played a lot of Halo CE on PC and I loved BTB on Blood Gulch only because I felt like a god with the pistol.

Hogs were super powerful in H3 but mostly because people were idiots. Enough BR's, even Halo 3's can take it out. Shooting out gunners wasn't impossible. You had EMP plasma pistol, plasma nades, power drains, rockets, laser, missle pod, brute shot etc.

Even on Standoff. Plasma pistol, power drain, and plasma grenades all spawn in the base.

IronWarrior

Neo Member

Laser wasn't even all that great a solution. At close range in the hog you could defend yourself by trying to kill/ping them, but at long range it was basically drive to cover or you're dead. The Laser helped balance out BTB but I don't think it did it in a super fun way.

Power Drains were pretty useful against Warthogs too, but overall it could be frustrating to fight them especially on stuff like Standoff where there we limited counters.

Does H5 still use the H4 vehicle damage system? That + the super DMR kinda killed 4's BTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom