• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
H5 with AR/Pistol could be good. I'd be down to try in customs if we could ever organize those again. The pistol can still wipe out a gunner pretty easily though. Not nearly as easy as BR however.

And lol CE BTB. Vehicles are literal deathtraps. The CE pistol is insane against vehicles. The hog turret is super innaccurate. Hell you can take out scorpions REAL easy with the pistol.

I played a lot of Halo CE on PC and I loved BTB on Blood Gulch only because I felt like a god with the pistol.

Hogs were super powerful in H3 but mostly because people were idiots. Enough BR's, even Halo 3's can take it out. Shooting out gunners wasn't impossible. You had EMP plasma pistol, plasma nades, power drains, rockets, laser, missle pod, brute shot etc.

Even on Standoff. Plasma pistol, power drain, and plasma grenades all spawn in the base.

This.

I never felt as though Warthogs were particularly overly powerful or tough to take down. Putting aside your own Warthog as a counter (which was fun), the game gave you a ton of options to take them out as infantry, in addition to team-shooting.

I prefer the game give you tough vehicles that are fun to use and ton of powerful weapons to take them out, then give everybody vehicles made of tissue paper.

When I first killed somebody in war zone and took their sentinel BR I really wanted one for myself. I was lucky enough to get one early on but I think you are right. The 4-6x zoom does encourage you to target further than the optimal range of the weapon. I have one with kinetic bolts so it's my go-to until I unlock something better. But I never bother with the 6x.

I would love Longshot 3x scope BR though. Everyone's preferences will probably vary, but I'd say it's probably the best you can get until you start unlocking DMR's. Sentinel scopes are probably most effective on DMRs
I still have 2 DMR skins and no DMR.

Ok, well at least one other person feels similar.

I have the DMR unlocked, and immediately swap to it at lvl 6.

I just prefer the DMR in general, in Arena as well when maps provide it as an option. Only problem is keeping the fire-fights in arena at a long enough distance where that extra touch of auto-aim the BR gets doesn't give it the advantage. I find it pretty easy in Colliseum, much harder in Empire.

H5 with AR/Pistol could be good. I'd be down to try in customs if we could ever organize those again. The pistol can still wipe out a gunner pretty easily though. Not nearly as easy as BR however.

And lol CE BTB. Vehicles are literal deathtraps. The CE pistol is insane against vehicles. The hog turret is super innaccurate. Hell you can take out scorpions REAL easy with the pistol.

I played a lot of Halo CE on PC and I loved BTB on Blood Gulch only because I felt like a god with the pistol.
Again with this Pistol nonsense? Do I have to post the vid lol? I guess we just had completely different experiences with CE BTB. The vehicles were indestructible and provided enough cover to escape if under fire. The Ghost has the slowdown effect on its plasma bolts, so it was pretty effective not only against infantry but against the Tanks since it slows its turning. Yes you can shoot a Tank driver, but the Pistol doesn't have GOD RANGE so if the Tank is aware of their positioning then it's incredibly powerful. The Banshee is very agile and does work, etc.

So I don't know what you're talking about :b
Hogs were super powerful in H3 but mostly because people were idiots. Enough BR's, even Halo 3's can take it out. Shooting out gunners wasn't impossible. You had EMP plasma pistol, plasma nades, power drains, rockets, laser, missle pod, brute shot etc.

Even on Standoff. Plasma pistol, power drain, and plasma grenades all spawn in the base.
Nah man, it's not because people were idiots lol. In order to beat a decent Hog, you had play incredibly campy. Like.... STOP moving and just poke shots at the Hog or pray that they were dumb enough to get within range to get hit by the easily avoidable PP or Plasma Drain. Also, that's if the driver forgets to take a split second to step out of the Hog to drop a Bubble Shield for a couple seconds until you're safe. Also, don't forget about your uncontested teammates to help you out, because remember, the enemies have to focus on your Hog as their priority, leaving many opportunities for your teammates to completely dominate the map.

And Rockets? You mean the same, slow-traveling Rockets that also had a terrible blast radius? Ehh, Missile Pod? BEEP BEEP BEEP is easy to avoid, etc. And we didn't even talk about the Scorpion, how Bungie had to use the Wraith more because many complained about how overpowered the Scorpion felt.

Halo 3 BTB was fun, but for the wrong reasons. It was fun because the vehicles were so overpowered against infantry combat.
I prefer the game give you tough vehicles that are fun to use and ton of powerful weapons to take them out, then give everybody vehicles made of tissue paper.
H5 vehicles are good, you just have to know how to maneuver them. People say the Hog is terrible to control, and sometimes it can be, but don't underestimate the brakes in Halo 5. They help maintain control and keep the Hog grounded in many situations where it would barrel roll otherwise. Don't be liberal with the brakes, they're very useful; even just tapping them as you turn a corner or go over a hill will keep you in control.

Can confirm: breakout arena 2 stronk

I like regular Breakout just fine, and it's arguably more fun to watch, but this... this is just on a whole 'nother level.

H5 vehicles are good, you just have to know how to maneuver them. People say the Hog is terrible to control, and sometimes it can be, but don't underestimate the brakes in Halo 5. They help maintain control and keep the Hog grounded in many situations where it would barrel roll otherwise. Don't be liberal with the brakes, they're very useful; even just tapping them as you turn a corner or go over a hill will keep you in control.

That quote wasn't referring to the vehicles in H5, it was more referring to the vehicles in H1 and H2, which I thought were really easy to dismantle with any semblance of team coordination. Which is why, when Halo 3 rolled around, I thought the BTB sandbox was much improved and the bulk of the matches featured a ton more vehicle-on-vehicle, and vehicle-on-multiple-infantry fights.

I'm fine with all the vehicles in H5 except for maybe the Ghost, which I think takes a bit too much fire in it's 'weak point' before going down, the charge can clip your big toe with the 'wing' and kill you, and because boarding the thing is finicky as hell.

I haven't had much problem with any of the other vehicles. I wish the Warthog felt a little weightier and accidentally nudging my teammates didn't send them flying as if I had rammed them at top speed in a ghost, but other than that they're fine.

J_Viper

So the ranks will be reset once the update hits?

I really don't want to hate this game, but it's tough to enjoy it when I somehow got locked into Diamond League against MLG clans.

So the ranks will be reset once the update hits?

I really don't want to hate this game, but it's tough to enjoy it when I somehow got locked into Diamond League against MLG clans.

If it makes you feel any better, you'd be playing against those Diamond players if you landed in Platinum, anyway.

J_Viper

If it makes you feel any better, you'd be playing against those Diamond players if you landed in Platinum, anyway.

Well, that's unfortunate. What's the point of the ranking system if it's not actually going to group similarly skilled players together?

This game also needs a Mercenary/No-Parties-Allowed playlist asap.

Anybody want to team up for some BTB later tonight? Tried playing with a few of my friends and we keep getting matched up incompetent teammates and it's so frustrating.

Agreed. I would be on Halo all the time if they had this.

Karl2177

Well, that's unfortunate. What's the point of the ranking system if it's not actually going to group similarly skilled players together?

Disregard whatever Antiype says about the ranking system. Poor kid quits so much that the system can't reflect his actual skill level. To my knowledge, aside from SWAT and FFA, the game matches you up with opponents of your equal skill unless you were placed too high to begin with. I agree, the game needs a Mercenaries playlist.

Disregard whatever Antiype says about the ranking system. Poor kid quits so much that the system can't reflect his actual skill level. To my knowledge, aside from SWAT and FFA, the game matches you up with opponents of your equal skill unless you were placed too high to begin with. I agree, the game needs a Mercenaries playlist.

I generally quit when it's made clear the ranking system has failed, and one team is so vastly superior that the match was won before the first shot was fired.

I fail to see how me quitting because I've been inappropriately matched against Diamonds flys in the face of the fact that the ranking system is poor.

LOL

I'm running at an enemy. Not quite a sprint yet, but definitely moving.

I hit melee.

My character immediately stops dead and delivers a little trex whiff, as I get gunned down.

I just can't even....

:facepalm:

WTF is with the melee in this game? Sometimes there's a lunge, sometimes there's not. And it certainly doesn't appear to be based on ANYTHING I'm doing at the time of hitting the button.

Stand Off is just so so shit with BR starts...

Can't move anywhere without getting 4 shotted... It's awful

I'm fine with the BR start, but I'd be fine with AR/Pistol starts too.

The problem is, 343i is hearing the opposite everywhere else. Everytime they have a twitch stream, half the comments are 'BR Starts!' and 'Give us BR starts!'

Tawpgun

Again with this Pistol nonsense? Do I have to post the vid lol? I guess we just had completely different experiences with CE BTB. The vehicles were indestructible and provided enough cover to escape if under fire. The Ghost has the slowdown effect on its plasma bolts, so it was pretty effective not only against infantry but against the Tanks since it slows its turning. Yes you can shoot a Tank driver, but the Pistol doesn't have GOD RANGE so if the Tank is aware of their positioning then it's incredibly powerful. The Banshee is very agile and does work, etc.

So I don't know what you're talking about :b

Nah man, it's not because people were idiots lol. In order to beat a decent Hog, you had play incredibly campy. Like.... STOP moving and just poke shots at the Hog or pray that they were dumb enough to get within range to get hit by the easily avoidable PP or Plasma Drain. Also, that's if the driver forgets to take a split second to step out of the Hog to drop a Bubble Shield for a couple seconds until you're safe. Also, don't forget about your uncontested teammates to help you out, because remember, the enemies have to focus on your Hog as their priority, leaving many opportunities for your teammates to completely dominate the map.

And Rockets? You mean the same, slow-traveling Rockets that also had a terrible blast radius? Ehh, Missile Pod? BEEP BEEP BEEP is easy to avoid, etc. And we didn't even talk about the Scorpion, how Bungie had to use the Wraith more because many complained about how overpowered the Scorpion felt.

Halo 3 BTB was fun, but for the wrong reasons. It was fun because the vehicles were so overpowered against infantry combat.

Post the vid. We must have crazy different BTB CE experiences. I never played BTB on consoles but I did on PC, where aiming the pistol was more difficult due to the insane lead you needed to compensate for the ping. Even then, I would tend to avoid vehicles because I was MUCH more lethal on foot. Only one that gave me any trouble was the banshee but even that came down with enough pistol fire. My favorite though was using the shotgun against it. Surprisingly effective lol. Like a banshee bullfight.

I did play a bit of CE BTB on MCC. Vehicles didn't feel very powerful to me. Basically only used hogs for transport.

Vehicles were powerful in H3 I get that. But I always treated them like power weapons. You control the vehicle, control the rockets/laser, and dominate until you lose control. Which happened against a competent team. They'd take out your hog and push forward. I much prefered the challenge of taking out enemy vehicles than just nonchalantly walking out and BRing the people out of them.

Why do people keep repeating how good destiny gunplay is? I'm playing it now and feels AWFUL, sluggish and slow as fuck??

What do you mean by gunplay?

If you mean actual back-and-forth shooting battles, then yeah, it's not the best.

That said, the feel of the weapons is superb. A masterful confluence of both audio/visual feedback and controls that ensure the reticule moves exactly where you expect it to given the amount of pressure you place on it.

You can obviously adjust how much pressure it takes, but the deadzones and acceleration are excellent. It becomes intuitive within minutes. None of the nonsense people experience in Halo 5 when you're trying to finess the reticule for that final kill shot and as you're pushing on the stick with constant controlled pressure... nothing...nothing....nothing....nothing....holy shit too much.

I'm not a huge fan of the PvP in Destiny, simply because they've chosen to bring so much of the PvE mechanics, which makes it feel like a bit of a cluster of one-hit-kill supers and wildly varying player mobility/melees/etc.

But there's no question as far as raw, intuitive 'feel' of the shooting, Destiny is the best shooter of this generation thus far.

Hopefully the controller settings update brings Halo 5 into that same league of immediate, natural, 'feel'.

Strider

The only problem I have when I go back to destiny is getting adjusted to the 30 fps again. It definitely feels sluggish at first after I take a break.

Post the vid. We must have crazy different BTB CE experiences. I never played BTB on consoles but I did on PC, where aiming the pistol was more difficult due to the insane lead you needed to compensate for the ping. Even then, I would tend to avoid vehicles because I was MUCH more lethal on foot. Only one that gave me any trouble was the banshee but even that came down with enough pistol fire. My favorite though was using the shotgun against it. Surprisingly effective lol. Like a banshee bullfight.

I did play a bit of CE BTB on MCC. Vehicles didn't feel very powerful to me. Basically only used hogs for transport.
I was just talking about this vid. I posted it before in a similar conversation, so that's why I said it like that lol. To address the bolded, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that. I'm just saying they weren't useless and the Pistol wasn't a vehicle destroyer, as in they felt more balanced vs infantry combat compared to Halo 3 where it was a sandbox of overpowered vehicles, balanced only by a few easily avoidable soft counters + the Laser.
Vehicles were powerful in H3 I get that. But I always treated them like power weapons. You control the vehicle, control the rockets/laser, and dominate until you lose control. Which happened against a competent team. They'd take out your hog and push forward. I much prefered the challenge of taking out enemy vehicles than just nonchalantly walking out and BRing the people out of them.
One should treat the vehicles in any Halo game like power weapons if they want to succeed. And yeah, I hear where you're coming from with the type of gameplay you enjoy, but not me personally. I don't like feeling powerless because my base weapons/traits are insufficient, so I guess that's where we differ. I can see why people enjoy the challenge and skill in that, but that's not the design I prefer, and that's not what I find balanced.

Not to say one or the other is objectively better, just a preference thing I guess. With all the jokes I make on the H3 BR, I understand why some people prefer that design over other BR's, despite my issues with its intended balance on the sandbox. Balance is complicated and can be argued differently, so it's usually an interesting discussion to have.

EDIT:
People still arguing with Funk about CE in 2015 tho.
hahahahah thankfully! Because who else would I talk to about it?!?!

foreveralone-o.gif

Trup1aya

He's exaggerating about that.

Like every other Halo game, you'll occasionally be matched against people slightly below or above your ranking.

The teams themselves are most often balanced none the less. Out of the last 70 people antitype has been matched with, 4 have been diamond (he's platinum). One game had a diamond on each team (that's balance) Another game the diamond was on antitype's team, yet his team lost. So the diamond guy obviously didn't throw off the balance. The last game, the diamond was again, on the losing team.

Seeing someone of a higher rank in your game doesn't instantly mean the match is unbalanced.

Yes the current system has flaws. Solo's vs parties and being some people are placed to high after placement matches, but given time your Hidden MMR will match you against proper opponents, regardless of your initial rank.

link1201

I hope we get a write up of the ranking changes they are implementing for the "1st" season. They really didn't touch on it much during the stream....unless I missed it.

Then you remember he's won 60% of his matches, despite being an avid quitter, and you learn to not take any of it seriously.

I'm quitting much less in hopes that losing over and over will finally push the game to match me against players of similar skill.

K/D is in the toilet anyway, so why not run an experiment to see how many losses it takes to get the matchmaking to finally say 'ok, we cave, we'll knock you down a tad'.

BraXzy

I still really can't figure out why people are quitting at the very end of a lost game. Does it not record any of the stats? Of just the loss?

Bans need to be worked on if people are choosing to bail often. People have commitment issues yo.

CeeSaw

I'm quitting much less in hopes that losing over and over will finally push the game to match me against players of similar skill.

K/D is in the toilet anyway, so why not run an experiment to see how many losses it takes to get the matchmaking to finally say 'ok, we cave, we'll knock you down a tad'.

I think where the MM is kind of broken is in the fact that you cannot derank. I played League for couple years and even though I was usually stuck in Bronze, I would consistently play against Silvers on the other team. This was because the game (like Halo) believed that I was a better player than my rank. Luckily in Halo I am usually able to compete even with Onyx players, but have a buddy who is probably a gold level player at best. I feel bad for him because he got placed Plat in slayer and consistently gets destroyed when he plays with me or solo. And until the ranks reset he is going to continue to get beaten on over and over.

Lmao. I love it. A third of my Arena play time is in it surprisingly, I need to play more reg Slayer though me thinks.

Out of curiosity, what do you like about it? It feels absolutely nothing like Halo to me. None of the exciting back and forth fire-fights. Just a lot of crouch walking, camping, hiding, with a few second bursts of shallow combat.

I'm glad you enjoy it man, and I'm glad that you have a dedicated playlist for it so you can play it whenever you want.

I want it out of the Team Arena pot in the worst way. I'm trying not to quit matches right now to drive my MMR down, but damn it's tough to resist the urge to bail the SECOND that gametype title card comes up.

Strider

I'm trying not to quit matches right now to drive my MMR down,

I really wanna know....

What is your winrate and K/D.

You say you wanna drive your mmr down to where it should be... But all signs point to the fact you cant deal with losing and just wanna dong on people worse than you.

Show me that stat Ramirez dropped is fake because if you really have a 60% winrate.... ummmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom