• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its alllive!!!!!

its-alive.jpg

Edit: i suck at mobile posting

Tawpgun

The monthly updates have been great and all but when the fuck are we getting more gametypes back. You'd think only having to balance 3 gametypes would mean better gameplay on them but some of the strongholds placements are r o u g h

Fuchsdh

Speaking of updates... The massive new dota 2 update goes live tomorrow. I really want to try that out, but then... Halo's new update will almost definitely go live tomorrow. And Star Wars "goes live" tomorrow too. Life.

Oh haha didn't know anything about the Dota 2 update... that's gonna' fuck with me bad.

But once I get my hands on Forge I'll probably be playing a lot less Dota 2 :)

BraXzy

Oh haha didn't know anything about the Dota 2 update... that's gonna' fuck with me bad.

But once I get my hands on Forge I'll probably be playing a lot less Dota 2 :)

It's pretty crazy, took me about half an hour to read and wrap my head around the patch notes alone lmao.

Hells yeah, gonna get lost in Forge methinks.

Its alllive!!!!!

its-alive.jpg

I read this as "It's live!" and thought the patch had gone up outta no where. It's not has it?

Now I am disappoint.

Akai__

Can the update please drop tomorrow, so I can spend these already?

pR9iG16.png

The monthly updates have been great and all but when the fuck are we getting more gametypes back. You'd think only having to balance 3 gametypes would mean better gameplay on them but some of the strongholds placements are r o u g h

Holiday beginning soon + 343i moving into a new building probably means it will take a while. I hope they have at least 1 new gametype for the January update.

NOKYARD

Noooo im pretty sure Bravo repetated tuesday multiple times on that stream. If you're going to say "the week of" I don't know anyone that uses a Tuesday to explain the week
It was worded that way to simply exclude a Monday release day, while not committing to Tuesday as a possible release day.

Madness

Did we need to save REQ points for something? Is there going to be another quick timed pack? Because I buy a silver every time I hit over 5000 RP and am probably at only a few hundred right now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
It was worded that way to simply exclude a Monday release day, while not committing to Tuesday as a possible release day.

You have to admit, due to how they have set things up and scheduled them, basic communication about release dates has become a confusing muddled mess.

The week of this date, but not the monday, but maybe the tuesday. Onward.

If they planned to release content the week after certification, they could maybe give a more reliable and marketable release date and stick to it?

The again, giving content to players as fast as possible is a good thing, even with a slightly fuzzy release schedule.

That's insane. Then again, Zeezbruh did a 460K pack opening so you are weak sauce :p

It was like 520k if you count the points I got from selling bad cards :)

Daily win req packs are awesome...now add a win 20 games in a week/complete 20. Also a very small but escalating RP or XP bonus for completeting games in a row without quitting. 20>40>60>80>100 etc etc.

Bryant

I dont remember receiving my first packs until the monday after launch though. Which would make this week the seventh and last week. Funny thing is, I have tried a couple of times to buy another bundle, and it tells me tha I already own it.. Strange

You were given the first two packs the moment you activated the code. The rest of them were delivered over next six weeks.

Redeemed (2)
Nov 2 (4)
Nov 9 (6)
Nov 16 (8)
Nov 23 (10)
Nov 30 (12)
Dec 7 (14)

Tawpgun

pR9iG16.png

Holiday beginning soon + 343i moving into a new building probably means it will take a while. I hope they have at least 1 new gametype for the January update.

Jesus. I spend as soon as I hit 5k or 10k. I'm probably gonna be buying silvers for a while to come.

And I hope to AT LEAST get neutral flag considering its kind of int he game in the form of breakout.

Wonder if forgers can create new gametypes with what they get.

Forge is gonna be sweet but also a little disappointing we don't have a full suite of gametypes you can create fun games with.

pR9iG16.png

Don't spend them for a couple days after the update, it can take a while for the REQ to show up, at least that's what I saw on reddit.

With the addition of Forge, I really want to make a countdown spiritual successor, hopefully I can do a map with curves rather than square.

Tawpgun

Don't spend them for a couple days after the update, it can take a while for the REQ to show up, at least that's what I saw on reddit.

With the addition of Forge, I really want to make a countdown spiritual successor, hopefully I can do a map with curves rather than square.

Of all the maps.

W H Y

Karl2177

I think there's more backlash over being vague to avoid missing the release date than there would be had they missed a release date.

It was like 520k if you count the points I got from selling bad cards :)

Daily win req packs are awesome...now add a win 20 games in a week/complete 20. Also a very small but escalating RP or XP bonus for completeting games in a row without quitting. 20>40>60>80>100 etc etc.

no quit bonuses might be good, reach sort of did that with the random jackpot bonus in credits after a match... sadly bungie love to cap every value they place in a game so you would max out in credits for the week all the time.

Ramirez

I think there's more backlash over being vague to avoid missing the release date than there would be had they missed a release date.

Yea, but let them actually miss an announced date, and you'd see people lose their minds.

It's coming this week, there's really no need to sit at your Xbox and tap your foot, it's the holiday season people, enjoy it!

Akai__

Did we need to save REQ points for something? Is there going to be another quick timed pack? Because I buy a silver every time I hit over 5000 RP and am probably at only a few hundred right now.

Depends on what you want from the December update. I have my eyes on multiple things, so I saved up to 100k and spend the rest on Silver packs to increase my chances.

That's insane. Then again, Zeezbruh did a 460K pack opening so you are weak sauce :p

I didn't have the time to save up that much and I considered everything above 100k overkill. Besides that, I open about 8+ Silver REQ's per day (on good days that is), so I'm pretty happy about that.

Good point. Last time they rolled them out slowly.

Jesus. I spend as soon as I hit 5k or 10k. I'm probably gonna be buying silvers for a while to come.

And I hope to AT LEAST get neutral flag considering its kind of int he game in the form of breakout.

Wonder if forgers can create new gametypes with what they get.

Forge is gonna be sweet but also a little disappointing we don't have a full suite of gametypes you can create fun games with.

Yeah, even Neutral Flag (which also works in non-Breakout) would be a nice change. It's just sitting there in the Gametype list.

I seriously don't understand how 3rd party devs can announce a patch/update weeks (and even months) prior to release and manage to release it on date, while 343i throws these weird timeframes arround.

Sigh...

Every time I utter the words 'Three on my X' in Arena, Im tempted to follow up with 'so feel free to take your time with that one dude occupying the rest of you' in the most sarcastix tone I can muster.

Trup1aya

It seems like 343i is just starting the cert process in the days leading to launch ...

Other devs must have all of there ducks in a row and pass cert well in advance of launch. That way they can set a date, and know they won't miss it.

I guess this means Halo 5 content is truly being worked on up to the last minute... For better or worse...

These nebulous time frames are rather annoying though.

BraXzy

I guess this means Halo 5 content is truly being worked on up to the last minute... For better or worse...

I half expected that. It does seem like they released what they had done and continued working none stop on stuff post launch.

Other devs will more than likely have things sorted and set a date that gives more than enough time. Whereas 343 are giving us updates monthly and as quickly as they can from the looks of it.

Warden/Final boss should spawn in a random place on the map.

Awful idea.

Last hit attribution works in DOTA and League of Legends because of the limited engagement range and limited engagement routes and because melee characters exist in Mobas so the confinement of the PvE element with rocks works to funnel people into that area.

Imagine if Baron Nashor spawned dead middle of the map under no cover, and also at the same time everyone became ranged and could engage him from near any distance. That's Halo 5' Warzone PvE elements.

Dual Health Bars is the best and most engaging solution. Either outdamage your opponents or engage your opponents to stop their damage.

Akai__

It seems like 343i is just starting the cert process in the days leading to launch ...

Other devs must have all of there ducks in a row and pass cert well in advance of launch. That way they can set a date, and know they won't miss it.

These nebulous time frames are rather annoying though.

Certification processes can take up to 2 weeks, so I doubt there is a last minute thing going on here. All devs (usually) plan these things out, because you can always fail certification for some reason and not meet your desired timeframe.

Tawpgun

Awful idea.

Last hit attribution works in DOTA and League of Legends because of the limited engagement range and limited engagement routes and because melee characters exist in Mobas so the confinement of the PvE element with rocks works to funnel people into that area.

Imagine if Baron Nashor spawned dead middle of the map under no cover, and also at the same time everyone became ranged and could engage him from near any distance. That's Halo 5' Warzone PvE elements.

Dual Health Bars is the best and most engaging solution. Either outdamage your opponents or engage your opponents to stop their damage.

What about a comprimise. I like dual healthbars but maybe the killing blow gives you a significant boost.

Karl2177

Hi all. I'll be posting the Forge OT tomorrow morning. I'll be away from my computer for a while tomorrow, so I figured I should post it early-ish in case the update drops while I'm away. Just thought I'd give y'all a heads up.

I half expected that. It does seem like they released what they had done and continued working none stop on stuff post launch.

Other devs will more than likely have things sorted and set a date that gives more than enough time. Whereas 343 are giving us updates monthly and as quickly as they can from the looks of it.
Eh....I don't feel it's that uncommon to be working on content up until release in games like this, take warframe for instance it gets regular updates and on dev streams they are constantly mentioning how certain things were being worked on a few hours before new content dropped or they are grinding away to get an update out as soon as possible.

BraXzy

Hi all. I'll be posting the Forge OT tomorrow morning. I'll be away from my computer for a while tomorrow, so I figured I should post it early-ish in case the update drops while I'm away. Just thought I'd give y'all a heads up.

Does it look pretty? Do you need any pretty things made?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Can't wait to remake sword base but with lifts that send players to Gemini. Should be sweet.

Seriously though, we getting spartan charge breakable walls in forge?

nahlakhai

The MP in this game is sooo good. But I just queued up for four arena matches in a row and three times someone on my team left, resulting in a prompt loss. Once was in a strongholds match where we were up 75-20 too.

The leaving in this game has to be punished, because its ruining the competitive nature of it.

Madness

Yup, quitting is by far one of the worst problems with this game. And I don't blame 343. Games like Destiny or Call of Duty rarely penalize quitting and promote this drop in, drop out game play. Coupled with years of no consequence in Halo, no ranks, people are just used to quitting when they suck or are losing, oh it doesn't matter, I'll just quit and search for another match etc. Start taking away REQ points, increase quit bans to the entire day, maybe publicly change their emblem to some kind of dunce cap or quitter emblem for the day and maybe you'll see a change. If they feel it's too draconian and would rather go play another game, fuck them. Draw the line in the sand. I'd rather play a Halo that isn't in the top 10 but is full of good, decent players than being #1 but filled with a bunch of racist shitheads, cheaters, grieves, trolls etc.

BraXzy

Can't wait to remake sword base but with lifts that send players to Gemini. Should be sweet.

Seriously though, we getting spartan charge breakable walls in forge
?

Totally forgot this was a thing.

I hope that is one of the "and other things in store" that they always say when listing features :3

Yup, quitting is by far one of the worst problems with this game. And I don't blame 343. Games like Destiny or Call of Duty rarely penalize quitting and promote this drop in, drop out game play. Coupled with years of no consequence in Halo, no ranks, people are just used to quitting when they suck or are losing, oh it doesn't matter, I'll just quit and search for another match etc. Start taking away REQ points, increase quit bans to the entire day, maybe publicly change their emblem to some kind of dunce cap or quitter emblem for the day and maybe you'll see a change. If they feel it's too draconian and would rather go play another game, fuck them. Draw the line in the sand. I'd rather play a Halo that isn't in the top 10 but is full of good, decent players than being #1 but filled with a bunch of racist shitheads, cheaters, grieves, trolls etc.

Nah.

Quitting is more often than not a small act of protest against a garbage experience.

I threw a grenade under his feet and it did basically nothing, meanwhile I die from a grenade thrown 20 feet behind me? Garbage. Quit.

I spawn directly into the sights of an enemy? Nonsense. Quit.

I spawn across the map from my team and get 3-on-1ed by the enemy team I actually spawned closer to? Fuck you. Quit.

The list goes on.

This is not 2004 anymore. This is 2015. The days of players putting up with B-Tier nonsense in an experience THEY PAID FOR are over. There is no reason for a player to feel ANY obligation to be bent over by bad game design and execution.

The industry, the genre, the market have all evolved.

If 343i want to reduce quitting, the answer is simple. Make a more consistently enjoyable experience, free of B-tier bullshit.

shoreu

Nah.

Quitting is more often than not a small act of protest against a garbage experience.

I threw a grenade under his feet and it did basically nothing, meanwhile I die from a grenade thrown 20 feet behind me? Garbage. Quit.

I spawn across the map from my team and get 3-on-1ed by the enemy team I actually spawned closer to? Fuck you. Quit.

The list goes on.

This is not 2004 anymore. This is 2015. The days of players putting up with B-Tier nonsense in an experience THEY PAID FOR are over. There is no reason for a player to feel ANY obligation to be bent over by bad game design and execution.

If 343i want to reduce quitting, the answer is simple. Make a more consistently enjoyable experience, free of B-tier bullshit.

Man you're an awful teammate i hope to never play with you.

They need to ban people for the entire duration of the match they quit.

All these updates are hyping me up, but im seriously pumped for halo 6. I know its 3 years away but...

They apparently completely redid forge which is why it was late, they will continue to improve it in the sustain plan. So Halo 6 at launch will have a insane Forge. All the UI updates/changes/things like dailies they learn from the next 2 1/2 years im ASSUMING will be in at launch for H6. I'm convinced they will add a Warzone Firefight mode and it will be successful, so once again H6 will have a great and expanded PvE mode at launch. They know people dont like Locke centric campaign and trash ass boss fights, so again im ASSUMING H6 campaign will be better received. REQs are obviously pretty successful even in the IMO disappointing Warzone mode. For the final time I think they will bump up REQs x2 and improve Warzone massively for Halo 6 launch.

343 will also be building up some goodwill after several years of just disappointing the Halo community. I'm a pretty big 343 skeptic and Halo old timer and I am VERY impressed at how big these updates are (if they continue to be meaty) and in the direction the series is heading. Gameplay feels crisp.

Lastly its pretty much guaranteed their will be a Xbox One Slim next year at E3 launching in fall. It will be massively smaller and probably retail 249. That thing will sell like HOTCAKES. 2 years of good Xbox One sales will make H6 a pretty successful game alone. I'm also betting on big franchise fatigue from CoD/Battlefield with 2+ more yearly games that are barely changed from the previous.

But first things first, cant wait for tommorrow!

You know what'd be an amazing way to punish quitters? Currently, the game's balanced such that you should expect to have roughly a .5 W/L ratio, which means you're being matched up properly. However, for every time you quit out, the game throws you and four / twelve other quitters into a game against disproportionately good players with the odds of winning becoming next to impossible - not quite impossible, mind you, but still enough to more or less guarantee you'll lose those matches. "Quit penalty" matches do indeed affect your ranks, and there's one per quit. They do not, however, feed into the alternating win-loss system that the game attempts to cultivate.

Also, this update is pushed out with virtually no announcement and is never expanded upon.

Nah.

The list goes on.

Holy shit. This has to be a joke post.

Quitting in any of the situations you just mentioned is just awful. Go play a game of domination in cod and see how shit those spawns are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom