• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Stats don't lie folks. I clearly have the best shot on HaloGAF.

0ZC5bQf.png

anuxi_rum.gif
anuxi_rum.gif
anuxi_rum.gif
anuxi_rum.gif

Haha, right xD

Double click the xbox button on your controller. Then go to game dvr then do what you usually do to record a match, but instead of leaving the recording timer unsnap the app and do not do anything else besides watching the match in theater. Once the match as shown through theater is done go back to game dvr and end the clip. If you do this correctly you should be able to record a full halo 5 match.You can use upload studio to upload a full match to your onedrive. There should be a setting in upload studio that lets you do this.You can then transfer your video from your one drive to youtube

Thanks, will try the upload studio method, the DVR one seems more complicated lol.

Glass

Still can't see armour rarity when customising your spartan... isn't that the entire point? It's not like anyone else can see how rare your armour is, you'd at least think they'd make it so you can.

Such a bizarre implementation after all this emphasis on loot and item rarity.

Herbs

Banned
Still can't see armour rarity when customising your spartan... isn't that the entire point? It's not like anyone else can see how rare your armour is, you'd at least think they'd make it so you can.

yeah, it's weird. the whole lobby and menu system needs an overhaul.

Fuck their system. I got nothing but green stuff for the last 2 weeks, it's ridiculous. I don't care for warzone stuff at all, I'm interested in the cosmetic stuff for arena.
Also, I've been playing like crazy since launch and I still have to receive a single assassination or stance....

Laws00

I haven't played the maps or mess with forge but man.....I thought when we got social playlist we got an extra tab for social playlist and game types.

Thought they would add, social slayer(they did), objective, swat, breakout, team doubles, and free for all. Normal stuff

A holiday playlist would be zombies, Griff ball, fiesta or some silly soccer thing involving with hammers, experimenting games/stuff. Not snipers...

jem0208

Btw I agree with the point of all of the stupid pointless geometry. It's super annoying. Good example is top mid of fathom. There is a tiny 6 inch high railing that runs along all of top mid. You CAN'T walk over it. I frequently try to thrust off only to be stopped by this irritating geometry.
Pretty sure that's there to stop people from just thrusting straight off as soon as they get hit.

Trup1aya

Tried to squeeze in some time with the new update before work... It didn't auto download.

I use instant on, but sometimes I have to launch the game to start the process.... What gives?

Ramirez

Welp. Did my 10 placements for slayer.

Idk how I feel about the placement... I played a lot of games and felt I really earned my rank during the "Pre-season" ... So idk if the ranking system is still messed up some or if I actually did deserve being placed at this rank immediately this time around.

Anyone else gotten placed yet in slayer? Did you feel it was accurate given your performance?

I got Onyx in Arena and Slayer rolling solo, but I did them during the early part of the day. I guess if there's one major flaw in the system it's that doing your matches before a lot of people have, you're more likely to end up in Onyx/Champion. My first 4 games had 2-3 Champions in them, and none of them were even close to playing at that level. I guess it all shakes out in the end, but maybe Diamond should be as high as you can be placed, I dunno. I know I'm going to hit Onyx, and never hit Champion, so the ranks don't mean much to me at this point.

ranking matches should cap at platinum, for diamond, onyx and champ you should have to work your way up.

having lucky matches in your first 10 games to either reach onyx or not is a stupid design choice, the downside is you will get pro players in platinum but then just stick them in at plat6 so they are on the high end of the scale and make ranking forcefully place mid tier players in gold not platinum, it needs to be more strict.

Akai__

Quick stream, because I'm about to spend my 100.000+ REQ points: Link

ranking matches should cap at platinum, for diamond, onyx and champ you should have to work your way up.

having lucky matches in your first 10 games to either reach onyx or not is a stupid design choice, the downside is you will get pro players in platinum but then just stick them in at plat6 so they are on the high end of the scale and make ranking forcefully place mid tier players in gold not platinum, it needs to be more strict.

In StarCraft 2 it works exactly like this. I wrote a long post about some Ranking System suggestions and capping at a certain rank was one of them.

SC2 does also open it's Grandmaster League (Champion equivalent) some weeks later. Giving all the people time to rank in their Division and having a better sample at who actually deserves Top 200.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Tried to squeeze in some time with the new update before work... It didn't auto download.

I use instant on, but sometimes I have to launch the game to start the process.... What gives?

There are 2 additional settings you have to set accordingly:

I set my console to turn the storage off when Xbox is off, and it turns on automatically when there's updates to download, or when I remotely add game to the download queue.

I think it did not download just because the console checks for updates sometimes, not everytime an update is pushed. Thus it can take some hours before it starts downloading a game update.

Updates are not pushed to the console, the console pulls them at defined times and right after being switched off in Instant On mode.

Karl2177

Quick stream, because I'm about to spend my 100.000+ REQ points: Link

In StarCraft 2 it works exactly like this. I wrote a long post about some Ranking System suggestions and capping at a certain rank was one of them.

SC2 does also open it's Grandmaster League (Champion equivalent) some weeks later. Giving all the people time to rank in their Division and having a better sample at who actually deserves Top 200.

meeeeenkeeeeee

Trup1aya

There are 2 additional settings you have to set accordingly:

I set my console to turn the storage off when Xbox is off, and it turns on automatically when there's updates to download, or when I remotely add game to the download queue.

I think it did not download just because the console checks for updates sometimes, not everytime an update is pushed. Thus it can take some hours before it starts downloading a game update.

Updates are not pushed to the console, the console pulls them at defined times and right after being switched off in Instant On mode.

I have those two boxes checked. Seems like it works sometimes and doesn't work at other times. Should I be having my storage turn off when my console is off?

Seems like that setting screws with suspend/resume (I use an external)

Picked up an Xbox One finally since I had a craving that only Halo could quench.

Decided to start with the Campaign since I haven't played a game with a controller in about a year now (well, I did play the Witcher with one..). Notably though, the AI in this is terrible. Constantly crossing into my fire, staying stuck at certain points, running straight into enemies without even shooting them - not to mention they become mindless path runners when you call for help.

Why even have them there? From a gameplay aspect, there are other ways to handle that. They could be support. You could call them in for certain roles. Fighting hunters? Fred can show up from some high point and drop rockets on them. Linda snipes. Osiris team has their own separate bag of tricks to make them feel unique. The narrative merit of each character is pretty much them just talking over comms as well. I never see them showing any unique character traits as far as animation and body language.

Here's hoping the Multiplayer is better, because the campaign is pretty disappointing. I could keep going with all the issues I've had, but I don't want my first post in the Halo thread being an essay. :l

JackHerer

Snipers on BTB maps in social is actually ruining the mode for me so thanks to the people who were begging for that on here and elsewhere.

The spawns.... *shudders*

Gameplay goes from map movement and no scopes to long range camping when you switch from small to huge maps.

Akai__

meeeeenkeeeeee

Menke had the right idea, but I believe the ranking system can be improved with some more tweaks. I'm absolutely not a ranking system designer, but it really shouldn't be possible to rank into the 2nd highest Division after your first 10 placement matches.

Seems like that setting screws with suspend/resume (I use an external)

I'm not sure if external HDD's can pull updates in Instant On? Somebody needs to confirm this.

Snipers on BTB maps in social is actually ruining the mode for me so thanks to the people who were begging for that on here and elsewhere.

Gameplay goes from map movement and no scopes to long range camping when you switch from small to huge maps.

It's trash. This Holiday Social playlist in general is pretty trash. But man does the aiming feel better with 2 acceleration and 0-6% inner deadzone... like another game better!

E92 M3

Yeah, Snipers in social sucks a lot and forge maps are crappy. I do like Overgrown, though. At least the theme is nature.

jem0208

Picked up an Xbox One finally since I had a craving that only Halo could quench.

Decided to start with the Campaign since I haven't played a game with a controller in about a year now (well, I did play the Witcher with one..). Notably though, the AI in this is terrible. Constantly crossing into my fire, staying stuck at certain points, running straight into enemies without even shooting them - not to mention they become mindless path runners when you call for help.

Why even have them there? From a gameplay aspect, there are other ways to handle that. They could be support. You could call them in for certain roles. Fighting hunters? Fred can show up from some high point and drop rockets on them. Linda snipes. Osiris team has their own separate bag of tricks to make them feel unique. The narrative merit of each character is pretty much them just talking over comms as well. I never see them showing any unique character traits as far as animation and body language.

Here's hoping the Multiplayer is better, because the campaign is pretty disappointing. I could keep going with all the issues I've had, but I don't want my first post in the Halo thread being an essay. :l
I completely agree with your AI complaint (to the point where I literally just ignored them on my playthroughs).

That said I really can't see how some people don't like the on foot sections of the campaign. It's most action packed and fastest paced Halo ever. The level design is superb in the way that it rewards exploration and encourages creativity. The redesigned Prometheans are actually fun to fight and if you can aim they aren't bullet spongey at all. In fact I'd argue this is the least bullet spongey Halo yet.

Yes the Warden fights get annoying and a bit repetitive, yes the story isn't great and yes the friendly AI sucks. But the minute to minute combat is fucking amazing.

(This isn't directed at the person I quoted by the way, just commenting on things I've seen around. That Kotaku article is especially awful because of just how wrong it is.)

Yeah... I actually hate how many customization options there are for this very reason. Take them out of req!

That BTB idea sounds amazing! Two of the cap points need to be in nuetral areas.

Sadly there is apparently a bug where if you have more than 3 strongholds and capture them the game will crash. Otherwise I would just forge a couple of maps and make the game type myself.

Trup1aya

Menke had the right idea, but I believe the ranking system can be improved with some more tweaks. I'm absolutely not a ranking system designer, but it really shouldn't be possible to rank into the 2nd highest Division after your first 10 placement matches.

I'm not sure if external HDD's can pull updates in Instant On? Somebody needs to confirm this.

I know that they can. The first update was ready for me as soon as I booted up.

I've got a about a 50/50 success rate with auto-updates since External support has been added.
Edit: it's actually probably higher than that, because I sometimes catch games that I don't play anymore updating...

Herbs

Banned
I would have taken a plain DMR I could call in at level 6 over a rarely available level 8 though man. How many warzone games have people played that get to 8? And tbh by the time the game gets there, you wouldnt even be able to enjoy it.

Also 343 pls, multiteam BTB strongholds — it works like this:
— There are 4 capture points instead of 3.
— Three teams of 4 or 5 players fighting over them (red, yellow, blue)
— Still requires 2 captures to score
— uses the larger forge maps but with some cool bases

The game now becomes as much about actively denying the other two teams from scoring as it is about scoring for yourself. Also some potential for "enemy of my enemy" scenarios. Craziness, hilarity
and inevitable betrayals of temporary alliances
ensue.

hot damn. me likey

JackHerer

I honestly wonder if they will have to rebalance some of the weapons in wake of the aiming update. The controls feel so much better now it's insane. Perfects all over the place, I have a lot less to fear from ARs alone now because I can quickly put in shots more accurately without my reticle going all squirrelly.

Also, classic BR is godly. Why can't we have this in arena? It would be so nice to use all the time in 4v4.

E92 M3

I honestly wonder if they will have to rebalance some of the weapons in wake of the aiming update. The controls feel so much better now it's insane. Perfects all over the place, I have a lot less to fear from ARs alone now because I can quickly put in shots more accurately without my reticle going all squirrelly.

Also, classic BR is godly. Why can't we have this in arena? It would be so nice to use all the time in 4v4.

I am still trying to find my perfect settings, but 343 definitely did good by putting in these options.

Ramirez

I really don't like the classic BR, prefer the Longshot for WZ. Still think the horns give the best view, despite looking stupid.

BokehKing

Banned

I have mine set to instant on andhadto launch the game to trigger it well, oh well :/
It will be there when I get home

so i know im primarily mostly bitching about no new gametypes in halo 5.

but this update is so nice. there might not be 20 gametypes to play, which bums me out, but there is a significant amount of variety to me now. enough that im REALLY getting into it.

Played a lot of holiday social. loved it. 5v5 is good dumb fun and a nice variety of maps and gametypes. then hopped on arena and got a little more competitive with more different stuff. played some breakout, then over to warzone.

really nice mix of different 'feeling' play-styles. I never thought I really cared about rank at all but damn if it isnt nice going into a social playlist thinking idc if i lose.

Btw I agree with the point of all of the stupid pointless geometry. It's super annoying. Good example is top mid of fathom. There is a tiny 6 inch high railing that runs along all of top mid. You CAN'T walk over it. I frequently try to thrust off only to be stopped by this irritating geometry.

Gonna quote this for exposure. This is by far the worst case of this gameplay-hindering geometry. I do the exact same thing all the time.

Played Battle of Noctus and Overgrowth last night and both are absolutely outstanding maps. Kudos to the maps team for their great work on these. Both feel fun and fresh and balanced.

Also, its so fun seeing people walk right by the Active Camo on Overgrowth. Until you know where it is it can be a bit hard to see with the ray of light hitting it.

Played Battle of Noctus and Overgrowth last night and both are absolutely outstanding maps. Kudos to the maps team for their great work on these. Both feel fun and fresh and balanced.

Also, its so fun seeing people walk right by the Active Camo on Overgrowth. Until you know where it is it can be a bit hard to see with the ray of light hitting it.

overgrowth is awesome. love the tight combat

Right!? Just makes it hurt so much to know they can deliver maps of this quality... and were getting janky Forge remakes in BTB... i just crave more of these beautiful maps. (and gimmie the modes)

Right!? Just makes it hurt so much to know they can deliver maps of this quality... and were getting janky Forge remakes in BTB... i just crave more of these beautiful maps. (and gimmie the modes)

If they hadn't screwed the pooch so badly on The MCC we could have had some outsourced (but still high quality) map creation for BTB. Oh well. They'll happen at some point... Right.....right guys??

link1201

If they hadn't screwed the pooch so badly on The MCC we could have had some outsourced (but still high quality) map creation for BTB. Oh well. They'll happen at some point... Right.....right guys??
Hopefully with the req revenue stream they have more than enough incentive to keep putting out substantial updates. Maps should be near the top of the list. I don't think you can have too many. I hope BTB eventually gets some dev created ones, although some of the forge maps are really fun.

Gonna quote this for exposure. This is by far the worst case of this gameplay-hindering geometry. I do the exact same thing all the time.

I've run into this a number of times... there is a weird lip on the cavities in the upper base that makes clam bering up to them a pain sometimes. Also on Pegasus (I think it's Pegasus, the Forge map with the sniper and rl) there is a small lip that protrudes along the edge of the wall at the bottom of the stairs where the sniper is that I've been stuck backing into 3 or 4 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom