• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is there is clutter and no sight lines forcing people into close range fights. This just doesn't feel like halo and maybe for what halo 5 is is the real issue for me.

I don't feel I am comparing the gameplay pound for pound as much of what I'm showing what works for a halo game perhaps.

I really hate the low key visibility in Halo 5, and with the faster gameplay you would think you should have more sight lines while keeping the flanking points?

Then show some half-decent comparisons, maybe? Crossmap sightline to crossmap sightline? Because at the moment you're really not demonstrating jack.

Sephzilla

I cant entirely put my finger on it but I'm just not a huge fan of the maps in this game, despite actually liking the core gameplay elements quite a bit. My favorite map is probably Truth (because it's basically a Halo 2 map). Most of the purely 343 designed maps just feel too cluttered and busy. I also kind of think 343 has a slight issue with putting too many power weapons on maps.

Trup1aya

The issue is there is clutter and no sight lines forcing people into close range fights. This just doesn't feel like halo and maybe for what halo 5 is is the real issue for me.

I don't feel I am comparing the gameplay pound for pound as much of what I'm showing what works for a halo game perhaps.

I really hate the low key visibility in Halo 5, and with the faster gameplay you would think you should have more sight lines while keeping the flanking points?

So it's your opinion that "halo" is all about long sightlines... I beg to differ.

In all previous halo games, maps have generally featured areas that favor long, mid and close range fights.

Halo 5 doesn't seem any different in that regard.

Pachimari

Just bought the Master Chief Collection. So while I'll play online multiplayer online in Halo 5, I'll finally get to try out the remaster of Halo: Combat Evolved, and to finish Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Halo 4 for the first time.

Welfare

Even with different vehicles it still boiled down to "shoot the legs until it falls over". Giving you a scorpion instead of a rocket mongoose didn't really change it up all that much. The hornet scarab fight was okay but the environment was really boring and the fact that the rockets locked on made it far too easy.

Honestly though I've never really enjoyed Halo's vehicular combat in the campaign unless I'm playing co-op. Rolling around in a scorpion is fun for the first 10 minutes but quickly grows repetitive and relying on your AI teammates to shoot for you isn't interesting at all (This doesn't include the Warthog runs through, they were amazing).

Honestly I was perfectly fine with the lack of large vehicle sections and set pieces in 5. They nailed the on foot combat and level design so damn well that I don't think they were needed.

The fights leading up to the Scarab battles on the Ark and Covenant were what made the Scarabs a bit more enjoyable because they were the culmination of the vehicle combat of Halo 3.

Ark prepares you for the Scarab battle by letting you drive a Scorpion back through the section of the level you just played, which was more designed for smaller, more nimble vehicles than a tank, and then they give this huge open battlefield with Wraiths, Ghosts, and Choppers that you have to fight, and then at the end you fight the motherload that is the Scarab.

Covenant gives you the Hornet section before the 3rd tower to ease you into using the thing before the 2 Scarab battle. Bungie threw use a fastball by giving us the Scorpion again right before the Scarabs and then when you get to cliff, they give you these flying death machines in one final vehicular brawl.

Halo 5 focused too much on the ground gameplay and the vehicle segments did not feel satisfying.

Halo 5's campaign is good, but it certainly has its issues.

Just bought the Master Chief Collection. So while I'll play online multiplayer online in Halo 5, I'll finally get to try out the remaster of Halo: Combat Evolved, and to finish Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Halo 4 for the first time.
Enjoy! They did a pretty great job getting all of the campaigns onto one console. The remaster of h2a is really lovely to look at, also.

Then show some half-decent comparisons, maybe? Crossmap sightline to crossmap sightline? Because at the moment you're really not demonstrating jack.

There aren't many cross map sightlines, there are a few and they are explained in what I said. I showed a few of the cross map areas like in the pic of eden or is it empire? from ramp to the point across map. impossible to flank as i was saying. I was explaining how the sight lines don't allow to have kills finished like you would on a guardian or pit. You simply have a long distance and a wall they can go behind to re charge. In halo 3 maps you have room and map areas to push up and a much greater chance of finishing of a kill that you already put three shots in. The pics also need a bit of imagination in them as I can''t describe all the things that can happen for each one but I can give you a more detailed idea in a set of one or two pics if you would like.

Sight lines aren't great in 5 for sure, but I don't think it's a problem with forcing close range fights, in fact I think that's a good thing in Halo especially 5. If everything was long range you'd have a bunch of long distance stalemates where nobody would want to be out in the open. The key is having limited long range sight lines like counterstrike where things aren't open but you can still get someone from far away from a certain angle. What you don't want is super open areas where you can see someone long distance from multiple angles (unless it's an exposed vantage point in the middle of the map or something), especially in Halo 5 where the kill times are so fast.

B3N1

When you connect to a lobby and hear voices for the first time in forever but it turns out they are on the enemy team RIP.

When you JiP a Warzone losing 200-600 with a dude blasting some spanish music on the mic whose chat is not displayed and you have to mute the players one by one to find out who it was (while scoreboard rotates because of leaves/objective kills).

When you JiP a Warzone losing 200-600 with a dude blasting some spanish music on the mic whose chat is not displayed and you have to mute the players one by one to find out who it was (while scoreboard rotates because of leaves/objective kills).
This is a great reason why I never bother with fireteam chat. Not worth it.

Madness

His photos at least show color saturation, lighting, visual clarity were superior in the past games and not so much in Halo 4 games at least in my opinion. I hate these tinted, hazy, foggy, several shades of the same color maps.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I cant entirely put my finger on it but I'm just not a huge fan of the maps in this game, despite actually liking the core gameplay elements quite a bit. My favorite map is probably Truth (because it's basically a Halo 2 map). Most of the purely 343 designed maps just feel too cluttered and busy. I also kind of think 343 has a slight issue with putting too many power weapons on maps.

You know, I have to admit - I originally hated how many power weapons and pickups there were. But I'm slowly accepting that, due to the fast nature of the game, it kind of works well. Better than I initially expected, at least.

Sight lines aren't great in 5 for sure, but I don't think it's a problem with forcing close range fights, in fact I think that's a good thing in Halo especially 5. If everything was long range you'd have a bunch of long distance stalemates where nobody would want to be out in the open. The key is having limited long range sight lines like counterstrike where things aren't open but you can still get someone from far away from a certain angle. What you don't want is super open areas where you can see someone long distance from multiple angles unless it's an exposed vantage point, especially in Halo 5 where the kill times are so fast.

Close range fights aren't horrible but in Halo 3 the close range fights were different.

I'm not saying halo 5 is wrong for putting in close range fights but the way they are handled I don't personally like it. It brings in a a lot of sprint boost melees that just sort of annoy me when I'd rather out shoot someone in a BR battle. I don't want to be caught off guard cause a guy is just running around randomly and can get a good hit on me while I'm shooting at another guy cross range. That feels kind of annoying and is more luck based than skill base.

That is just some off the example from the gameplay mechanics and map designs that feels less skillful. Again, not saying Halo 5 is very bad, I will say map design is bad for me though. I can see why people like to run around, melee and all these things. But, it simply isn't the halo I like. I respect you guys who like the game for what it is, but I just feel it can be so much more.

So, I ask myself simply, do I want sight lines and gun battles or do I want close range scatter shots, boost melee punchs and not knowing where people are. Cause, these are a lot of the differences between typical halo play and halo 5 play.

Sephzilla

You know, I have to admit - I originally hated how many power weapons and pickups there were. But I'm slowly accepting that, due to the fast nature of the game, it kind of works well. Better than I initially expected, at least.

For the most part it works, but there can be times where matches can become completely one sided ROFLstomps because one team gets a bunch of power weapons and there's no way to break through them. Pegasus seems like a bad case of this - a team gets snipes, the scattershot, and a rocket launcher and the match suddenly becomes a lot less fun.

The funny thing is I honestly think Halo 5's gameplay engine would be fun as hell on some more classic maps. Clamber and thrusters would add a whole new dimension to Hang Em High. Sprinting and clamber would make larger maps like Containment or Waterworks a bit more bearable. Using thrusters to go back and forth between shields/pillars in Rat Race would make fire fights intense as hell.

Basically, 343, stop making new maps - bring back old ones!

BraXzy

I totally get what h0lmbom means with the whole StarCraft 2 syndrome stuff. I just hopped on and I've barely played the past couple of days. My first thought is damn I need a warm up. Not in the mood for a long Warzone match so I'm sitting here in the menus wondering what to do before realising I just need to bite the bullet and dive into competitive arena.

Even if there is just one consolidated playlist, we need social.

E92 M3

Nice map comparison, Jack. I've been saying for a long time that maps in H5 have some issues. Definitely a stepback from the previous games. Still like Midship, but that's the only one.

Looking forward to see what forge creators do.

For the most part it works, but there can be times where matches can become completely one sided ROFLstomps because one team gets a bunch of power weapons and there's no way to break through them. Pegasus seems like a bad case of this - a team gets snipes, the scattershot, and a rocket launcher and the match suddenly becomes a lot less fun.

It can be hard to break weapon spawns when your playing with people that don't help you. But, if you have people that work together those become much better battles and actual battles instead of just getting killed by power weapons

Nice map comparison, Jack. I've been saying for a long time that maps in H5 have some issues. Definitely a stepback from the previous games. Still like Midship, but that's the only one.

Looking forward to see what forge creators do.

Thanks man, it's not exactly saying how halo 5 is bad or wrong, but hopefully showing the difference in what halo gameplay has been in the past and i think it shows how fans may easily not like halo 5. I can understand why people dont like halo 3 with it being slow and having quite a steep learning curve.

RobNBanks

Banned
wait Jack is doing real comparisons? I thought it was supposed to be a parody of someone else.

There's a comparison pic where he's looking top mid on Truth/Regret (I'm terrible at knowing the differences between these maps) and the outer edge of Snowbound.

I was 100% certain it was a parody

I can also imagine that 343 would roll their eyes at me and feel I don't get it. I get what they are trying to do, I just don't like what they are trying to do I guess. Not trying to look like I don't understand why they implement more walls and less sight points. It just doesn't feel right for me for the most part.

There are sight lines that cross cross all of the maps. The Rig has multiple. It also breaks down into corridors. Same goes for Regret, Truth, Colliseum, and all 3 Warzone maps among others. There is almost no where you can hide and no place on a map is safe.

The only negative I will say about the arena maps is that they are all essentially a ring around a chaotic and highly dangerous risk/reward middle. Realizing this made it easy to figure out what to do and where to go. I actually liked Orion mostly because it broke a lot of this convention.

Interestingly Fathom, which you like, is the dullest map of them all due to its perfect symmetry super ring and T junction choke point design by the rail gun bridge while being flabby and open elsewhere. It also offers next to no sight lines of any value. I've barely killed or been killed at range. The map is mostly CQC.

There aren't many cross map sightlines, there are a few and they are explained in what I said. I showed a few of the cross map areas like in the pic of eden or is it empire? from ramp to the point across map. impossible to flank as i was saying. I was explaining how the sight lines don't allow to have kills finished like you would on a guardian or pit. You simply have a long distance and a wall they can go behind to re charge. In halo 3 maps you have room and map areas to push up and a much greater chance of finishing of a kill that you already put three shots in. The pics also need a bit of imagination in them as I can''t describe all the things that can happen for each one but I can give you a more detailed idea in a set of one or two pics if you would like.

See, this doesn't make any sense to me. How do sightlines dictate whether you can or cannot close in for a kill? And what does flanking have to do with any of it? Flanking is what you do to the guy posted up at the top of a long sightline.

Let's take your Pit vs. Plaza example set. In the Pit image, if you start shooting at somebody who's located about in the middle of the screen, they've got a few options; they can duck into the building on the left, or drop off and try to get cover behind the ledge, or head straight back and try to duck between the building and the bridge, and you'd have to pursue. On Plaza, if you start shooting at somebody on the ramp, they'd back down it and go either left or right, at which point your pursue. How is there some drastic reduction in pursuit ability there?

His photos at least show color saturation, lighting, visual clarity were superior in the past games and not so much in Halo 4 games at least in my opinion. I hate these tinted, hazy, foggy, several shades of the same color maps.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

You wanna say the maps are less visually appealing, fine. You wanna say that they're somehow objectively worse, you gotta back that up. Nipper's comparisons are bad because they don't actually demonstrate any of his arguments. They're just a lot of words and pictures signifying nothing in particular. You could post "I'm right because I'm right" 15,000 times for a similar effect.

JackHerer

wait Jack is doing real comparisons? I thought it was supposed to be a parody of someone else.

There's a comparison pic where he's looking top mid on Truth/Regret (I'm terrible at knowing the differences between these maps) and the outer edge of Snowbound.

I was 100% certain it was a parody

That was my favorite too. The comparison is supposed to be about clutter and he compares top mid of Regret to the outer edge of a snow map..... Snowbound wasn't exactly a fan favorite either.

Would love the removal of about one power weapon on average per map. There's just too damn many floating around at once, especially given how small the maps are.

I totally get what h0lmbom means with the whole StarCraft 2 syndrome stuff. I just hopped on and I've barely played the past couple of days. My first thought is damn I need a warm up. Not in the mood for a long Warzone match so I'm sitting here in the menus wondering what to do before realising I just need to bite the bullet and dive into competitive arena.

Even if there is just one consolidated playlist, we need social.

Agreed.

Jack, didn't you say in one post that Halo 5 lacked weapon control?

I'm double checking, because it means I cannot take anything you say seriously.

Herbs

Banned
Jack. Maybe you just aren't good at this game. Like all of your complaints seem to center around your lack of being able to do well in it.

BraXzy

I kinda agree with what I believe are some of your points Jack. All of the maps feel quite small and constrained IMO. Which isn't always a bad thing but its lacking some more variety with the bigger maps with longer sightlines of the past games.

But I think that's the design ethos of arena, tight competitive maps. With the Valhalla's and blood gulches left to BTB/Warzone.

Detective

I can't shake the feeling that the game would have been much better if it was just the Chief playing. Just one character. Or even Chief VS Locke or Osiris.
We Follow the Chief. Visiting new places, exploring, meeting new enemies, hunting cortana alone. From place to place. Aka Halo CE

The blue team could have been saved for later. Introduce them in a better way. Like When we visit those places, Chief finding him self in a really difficult situation. Something like Chief VS ONI and UNSC..Boom, They come in.. And they comes in hot. Great fight scene, bullets everywhere.Takes the Chief away, chit chat about old days. Make the player knows them...Getting ready for the real fight...Boom..Halo 6

Or he just finds them in one of these alien places he visits for hunting down Cortana. They give him help or he gives them help.. Or something like that.

They could have been just introduced in H5. Saved for epic fights in H6. I mean epic epic. Not Halo 5 epic.

This is one of the Gold cards that has been burned without getting anything in return. Blue team..

The player needs to connect with the Charachters. Lore guys have been waiting for them to appear in the games..But not like this.

Instead we got...Here is your team..Play with them.

See, this doesn't make any sense to me. How do sightlines dictate whether you can or cannot close in for a kill? And what does flanking have to do with any of it? Flanking is what you do to the guy posted up at the top of a long sightline.

Let's take your Pit vs. Plaza example set. In the Pit image, if you start shooting at somebody who's located about in the middle of the screen, they've got a few options; they can duck into the building on the left, or drop off and try to get cover behind the ledge, or head straight back and try to duck between the building and the bridge, and you'd have to pursue. On Plaza, if you start shooting at somebody on the ramp, they'd back down it and go either left or right, at which point your pursue. How is there some drastic reduction in pursuit ability there?
it has to do with how the walls are designed, the sight lines mostly force you to go straight in to finish it or you can't finish it with going around.

Take for example...

If you are on s2 on guardian, my sight lines are from camo, tree, blue room and I can easily make my way to you in many areas of the maps while being able to have an idea of where you ae.

Now, take for example those sight lines on plaza, it's so far away that no matter where I go you can easily get away bheehind a wall and lose the sight line and lose any chance of me coming after you. This is one of the main sight lines btw

Also, like you said rig, again, when i get out of the sight line, again its hard to finish you. Take for example the room next to snipe, I can see you across the sniper, but no matter where I go, I don't have a good place to keep shots on you.

But, again, take for example guardian, I am at top gold, I can push out to camo and still have shots on you, I can push out top mid and still have shots at you if you are s2.

I can make my way to top tree, or even blue room and still have focus to your position at s2. This makes a huge difference in the way sight lines work in halo 5. You can't push from different parts of the maps and have the same sight lines work.

Narrows- I can push bottom mid or top mid and still have shots on you at your flag spawn. I can go my OS and still have shots on you at the same position and vice versa. This creates wiggle room to go in different areas of maps and keep fire fights going. Halo 5 simply doesn't give this, it give you a sight line an that is just a very narrow tunnel of vision to finish a kill and good players wont die in those unless they are sniped. They can simply go hide behind a wall out of your siht line and you can't get multiple views on each other easily with moving around. i thoughtt the pictures showed this and if you played Halo 3 enough then you know what I am talking about without having to explain it I think.

BraXzy

Now that I think about it, its funny how all this added mobility has been introduced to get around even faster, but we've arguably been given the smallest maps to date.

I kinda agree with what I believe are some of your points Jack. All of the maps feel quite small and constrained IMO. Which isn't always a bad thing but its lacking some more variety with the bigger maps with longer sightlines of the past games.

But I think that's the design ethos of arena, right competitive maps. With the Valhalla's and blood gulches left to BTB/Warzone.

Just wish we could get some flat, basic style maps I guess. Just to see how the game plays without getting rushed around corners and shotgunned. It's hard to get into shooting battles because of the design of the maps for me. I seem to get hit and shot at a lot more than just being shot at in half my games.

Magwik

Banned
I wouldn't say they the maps are small, it's just that they aren't necessarily clean and color choices don't help either. For example if you gave truth a brighter shade of purple and and flattened out a lot of the excess designs, the map would look and feel a lot better, if it makes any sense.
Halo 3 is still such a good looking game.
It's definitely been growing on me again. It's not over-detailed, it's very colorful, I love it.

it has to do with how the walls are designed, the sight lines mostly force you to go straight in to finish it or you can't finish it with going around.

Take for example...

If you are on s2 on guardian, my sight lines are from camo, tree, blue room and I can easily make my way to you in many areas of the maps while being able to have an idea of where you ae.

Now, take for example those sight lines on plaza, it's so far away that no matter where I go you can easily get away bheehind a wall and lose the sight line and lose any chance of me coming after you. This is one of the main sight lines btw

Also, like you said rig, again, when i get out of the sight line, again its hard to finish you. Take for example the room next to snipe, I can see you across the sniper, but no matter where I go, I don't have a good place to keep shots on you.

But, again, take for example guardian, I am at top gold, I can push out to camo and still have shots on you, I can push out top mid and still have shots at you if you are s2.

I can make my way to top tree, or even blue room and still have focus to your position at s2. This makes a huge difference in the way sight lines work in halo 5. You can't push from different parts of the maps and have the same sight lines work.

Narrows- I can push bottom mid or top mid and still have shots on you at your flag spawn. I can go my OS and still have shots on you at the same position and vice versa. This creates wiggle room to go in different areas of maps and keep fire fights going. Halo 5 simply doesn't give this, it give you a sight line an that is just a very narrow tunnel of vision to finish a kill and good players wont die in those unless they are sniped. They can simply go hide behind a wall out of your siht line and you can't get multiple views on each other easily with moving around. i thoughtt the pictures showed this and if you played Halo 3 enough then you know what I am talking about without having to explain it I think.

This sounds more like a familiarity issue to me; you don't have a clear idea where they might go when they duck out of sight, so you can't pursue. But you can, eventually, if you learn the map. You also seem to want to be able to control the entire map from any given vantage point, which doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea. You want much longer, wider sightlines, but that just leads to people posting up and taking cross-map potshots the entire game, like on Lockout.

Now that I think about it, its funny how all this added mobility has been introduced to get around even faster, but we've arguably been given the smallest maps to date.

Remember how in the beta people were kvetching about how huge all of the maps were?

Yeah.

Sephzilla

Playing Slayer with randoms is hell. How we lost this game, I have no idea. Holy shit.
Seriously.

You had two teammates who collectively went 4 for 25. That's why.

But seriously, playing with randoms is absolutely hell. I'm not going to pretend I'm MLG SUPER L33T tier or anything but if I go into a fight and die and leave one or two enemies without shields and see no teammates perform some simple clean up duty, I get pissed.

Trup1aya

Take for example...

I think I'm finally starting to follow you... But I don't think pursuit and/or finishing is any more difficult in this Halo than previous iterations... But the WAY you pursue or push is often likely to be different this time around. It doesn't seem like matches are taking longer or there are fewer mid-long range precision kills than in any other halo.

But the map design DID change in ways that accommodate the new movement options. Options, which you don't like at all. SOMETIMES, you'll have to employ new tactics to finish your kill, and you don't like the thought of that.

Doesn't make this game feel any less "halo" to me though. The exact same shifts in battle philosophy occurred when we shifted from H:CE to H2.

Yeah i stopped listening a while back.

To be fair, I will say I have strong opinions but I understan they are what I like and everyone likes things in their own way.

There will be sometimes that my ideas do go against one another and that is because I have a very very open mind that can like things in various situations.

For example, I like every movie genre possible but I obviously dont like every movie. So, when I don't like a movie cause it's too "silly" I will then be caught as finding a movie I like cause it's silly. Then people come at me and say man that guy is an idiot, he said he didn't like silly movies now he does.

Things aren't as black and white as they seem. i may not like the 'sillyness" of over acting, dude bro lines in a GOTG movie, but I like the sillyness and jokes in a waynes world movie.

It isn't that I cross thins up too much, it's just that people misunderstand me on something a bit.

I think I'm finally starting to follow you... But I don't think pursuit and/or finishing is any more difficult in this Halo than previous iterations... But the WAY you pursue or push is often likely to be different this time around. It doesn't seem like matches are taking longer or there are fewer mid-long range precision kills than in any other halo.

But the map design DID change in ways that accommodate the new movement options. Options, which you don't like at all. SOMETIMES, you'll have to employ new tactics to finish your kill, and you don't like the thought of that.

Doesn't make this game feel any less "halo" to me though. The exact same shifts in battle philosophy occurred when we shifted from H:CE to H2.

yeah man, thanks for getting it. Sometimes I give people a lot of credit in seeing what I see, I have a very artistic mind and soemtimes I am very bad at explaining things. i will admit this 100 percent.

I know my ideas are well and clear for what I like and dont like but I can't always get the idea over to others very clearly....... But yes, when I say their are issues with sightlines there are hundreds of ideas that go into that.

I don't blame you guys for misunderstanding me, and a lot of times its my fault. But a lot of the things I talk about need like a 3 hour lecture and video to show it all so people can just get it. And I admit, I'm not that great at explaining it in words. I really apologize for that, it's my biggest flaw.

yeah, I dont like clamber. i prefer to skill of shooting and guess work of where each player is going. I'm not fond on someone sprinting away from me either lol

BraXzy

Remember how in the beta people were kvetching about how huge all of the maps were?

Yeah.

I'm really curious as to what your spell checker changed into that. Bitching? Talking? Or is kvetching a new word?

Wouldn't surprise me after Oxford Dictionary gave 'word of the year' to an emote 😂

You had two teammates who collectively went 4 for 25. That's why.

But seriously, playing with randoms is absolutely hell. I'm not going to pretend I'm MLG SUPER L33T tier or anything but if I go into a fight and die and leave one or two enemies without shields and see no teammates perform some simple clean up duty, I get pissed.

what were those two guys doing in plat? their KD ratio and other stats don't support it at all. must've had boosters for the placements 8)

yeah MMR system feels like it needs to take a little while to level out, I think leveling down in ranks should definitely be possible. For something like Killer Instinct where there's a large pool at the top that fights for their own points there's no sense in knocking someone in the lower ranks down even further, but in Halo there's subdivisions at the top, so people should have to fight into that, with losses giving consequence so people can level down and learn to play against people more on their level and improve. MOBAs work this way to relative success (though smurfing in those games is becoming more of a problem).

I just rallied into plat 1 raking up a 1.3 KD on the way up after placing into gold after provisional matches and I feel like I can take those two stinky players on that team to the cleaners~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom