• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

¡HarlequinPanic!;185800799 said:
what were those two guys doing in plat? their KD ratio and other stats don't support it at all. must've had boosters for the placements 8)

yeah MMR system feels like it needs to take a little while to level out, I think leveling down in ranks should definitely be possible. For something like Killer Instinct where there's a large pool at the top that fights for their own points there's no sense in knocking someone in the lower ranks down even further, but in Halo there's subdivisions at the top, so people should have to fight into that, with losses giving consequence so people can level down and learn to play against people more on their level and improve. MOBAs work this way to relative success (though smurfing in those games is becoming more of a problem).

I just rallied into plat 1 raking up a 1.3 KD on the way up after placing into gold after provisional matches and I feel like I can take those two stinky players on that team to the cleaners~

You going to be online tonight at all? I wouldn't mind teaming up with some HaloGAF (I'm only Gold 4 in Team Slayer right now, FYI)

You going to be online tonight at all? I wouldn't mind teaming up with some HaloGAF (I'm only Gold 4 in Team Slayer right now, FYI)

and I'd just like to tell you my experience with Halo 5 is a lot lower than Halo 3. I do feel my skill is less in Halo 5 than 3 but I don't feel this makes a big difference in my feeling of the game itself.

I learned halo 3 myself after the game had been out for a few months and I was worse at Halo 3 than I am currently at Halo 5. I did get better at halo 3, learned nade tosses and a lot of things on my own from playing and some things from others. I made it to 5 star general in halo 3 mostly cause of my love for the game, not exactly my skill but being a really good player with some of the best nade throws and building confidence.

halo 5, I just don't have the same passion to be as good and I think since I am in china currently the connection really gives me a very high ping and that also hurts my skill here no matter what. I only got up to diamond level and I feel i could be more of a low level onyx player right now if it wasn't for my connection. I just feel it's a lot harde to have passion fo this game as I have for past halo's though. And I think this makes me a worse player.

Madness

I've literally been playing all night trying to finally place in all the modes. FFA is left. Always one or two kills away from top 3. Worst maps have been Coliseum for me.

YO hOmBlom is a ninja. Those sniper headshots are unreal. Love his reaction too hahahaha.

Id hate to play against him. and die.. repeatly... lol

I've literally been playing all night trying to finally place in all the modes. FFA is left. Always one or two kills away from top 3. Worst maps have been Coliseum for me.

Really need to get shots on people across map as much as you can. Not worrying about finishing them, that is what you are doing for your team. if you are landing every shot the best you can, you are going to help your self get a win. Really have to learn all the jumps in the map that help you get around it as fast as possible too. I find a lot of people get into 1 on 1's and camp a lot, or just run around a lot depending on the person . This is a map that needs as much team work as it can. I wouln't love to play it in FFA I think.

Zeta Oni

Halo 5, I just don't have the same passion to be as good...

Yet, you have enough of whatever it is you wanna call it to type up enough words about this game to fill an essay.

People just don't agree with you. You make these long posts with shoddy comparisons and talk about how the experience has been with you, and that's fine. Several people come out and say they agree with your shoddy comparisons (or, I would hope they simply agree with your overall point) and that's fine too.

But don't sit there and say there's no inspiration. You have enough emotion for the game to dedicate all this time to typing, but you lack the emotion for playing?

¡HarlequinPanic!;185800799 said:
what were those two guys doing in plat? their KD ratio and other stats don't support it at all. must've had boosters for the placements 8)

yeah MMR system feels like it needs to take a little while to level out, I think leveling down in ranks should definitely be possible. For something like Killer Instinct where there's a large pool at the top that fights for their own points there's no sense in knocking someone in the lower ranks down even further, but in Halo there's subdivisions at the top, so people should have to fight into that, with losses giving consequence so people can level down and learn to play against people more on their level and improve. MOBAs work this way to relative success (though smurfing in those games is becoming more of a problem).

I just rallied into plat 1 raking up a 1.3 KD on the way up after placing into gold after provisional matches and I feel like I can take those two stinky players on that team to the cleaners~

Wait, I thought you could de-rank?

Trup1aya

yeah man, thanks for getting it. Sometimes I give people a lot of credit in seeing what I see, I have a very artistic mind and soemtimes I am very bad at explaining things. i will admit this 100 percent.

I know my ideas are well and clear for what I like and dont like but I can't always get the idea over to others very clearly....... But yes, when I say their are issues with sightlines there are hundreds of ideas that go into that.

I don't blame you guys for misunderstanding me, and a lot of times its my fault. But a lot of the things I talk about need like a 3 hour lecture and video to show it all so people can just get it. And I admit, I'm not that great at explaining it in words. I really apologize for that, it's my biggest flaw.

yeah, I dont like clamber. i prefer to skill of shooting and guess work of where each player is going. I'm not fond on someone sprinting away from me either lol

What I've noticed is that people anticipate that opponents will use clamber, but the opponent instead uses crouch jump, and gets the kill.

I've also noticed that trying Sprint away usually causes more harm than good. Also, it doesn't seem like enemies can actually reach terminal velocity if are already being shot, so it's usually better defense to employ your tried and true Halo, reversal tactics. I haven't had many enemies successfully sprint away, unless they were already sprinting when I spotted them. Even then, they are usually low on health (which is why they were sprinting) and easy to take down.

you can level down levels in a tier but you can't level down a tier. at least that's what I'm seeing here and i haven't heard of anyone deranking a tier. they should be able to.

correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm really curious as to what your spell checker changed into that. Bitching? Talking? Or is kvetching a new word?

Wouldn't surprise me after Oxford Dictionary gave 'word of the year' to an emote 😂

Kvetching is yiddish :p

And spellchecker lets it through just fine :D

If you focus on Jack's H5 pictures his arguments make sense. Directly comparing them to H3 doesn't work, they're different map setups, since the maps are completely different due to gameplay. But if you read his explanation on how sight lines and flanking worked in H3 vs. H5 its pretty easy to follow. Especially his last post, some of you are just being obnoxious ignoring him instead of trying to understand.

Never mind, I'm arguing something completely different from Jack.

I wouldn't say that, I think the the tint and shading in the game can easily throw people off on seeing opponents easily like in H3. I've said it before.

¡HarlequinPanic!;185802653 said:
you can level down levels in a tier but you can't level down a tier. at least that's what I'm seeing here and i haven't heard of anyone deranking a tier. they should be able to.

correct me if I'm wrong?

You're probably right, but I just didn't know that. I thought it was possible to Plat -> Gold, for example.

E92 M3

I think 343 needs to do something to make Halo more Twitch viable. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it seems like unless a pro is playing no one is watching other players. I know I don't.

Twitch plays an important role in promoting the game these days and it's growing every year. Something needs to be done to make Halo more attractive to watch and stream for the general populace.

What I've noticed is that people anticipate that opponents will use clamber, but the opponent instead uses crouch jump, and gets the kill.

I've also noticed that trying Sprint away usually causes more harm than good. Also, it doesn't seem like enemies can actually reach terminal velocity if are already being shot, so it's usually better defense to employ your tried and true Halo, reversal tactics. I haven't had many enemies successfully sprint away, unless they were already sprinting when I spotted them. Even then, they are usually low on health (which is why they were sprinting) and easy to take down.

I thought getting shot cancels sprint if you haven't reached full speed yet? It certainly feels like that for me, hence why I never try to sprint away...

Madness

Really need to get shots on people across map as much as you can. Not worrying about finishing them, that is what you are doing for your team. if you are landing every shot the best you can, you are going to help your self get a win. Really have to learn all the jumps in the map that help you get around it as fast as possible too. I find a lot of people get into 1 on 1's and camp a lot, or just run around a lot depending on the person . This is a map that needs as much team work as it can. I wouln't love to play it in FFA I think.

That's what I meant. It's the worst map in FFA. Start someone off near rockets which are a guaranteed 3 kills, deaths at spawns. Such a shitfest. Drop it down to 5-5 players as well. I used to love Lone Wolves. I hate playing this FFA.

I get what Jack is saying, but feel that Halo 5 was designed extremely well around the weapon sandbox it has and the mobility options that exist, possibly more so than other halo games designed around their gameplay systems.

But I can see how there were things in older games that weren't expanded on in a meaningful way or given a better substitute for in the newer titles. Fortunately for me, I feel all the changes add up to a better playing experience for me.

Though I have some trepidation about how BTB will feel with this sandbox.

BraXzy

I think 343 needs to do something to make Halo more Twitch viable. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it seems like unless a pro is playing no one is watching other players. I know I don't.

Twitch plays an important role in promoting the game these days and it's growing every year. Something needs to be done to make Halo more attractive to watch and stream for the general populace.

It's a tricky one. It isn't very fun to watch people that are bad at the game play. Most Twitch celebs play Minecraft/CS GO and Fallout.

It'd be cool if they somehow tied in Req point gain to twitch viewing. But that's probably just make people idle in a dozen Halo streams.

I've been watching a fair bit of Halo streams but idk. More often than not I'd rather play it than watch it as opposed to other games where I'm fine watching. Maybe it is the lack of interesting streamers. Maybe the game is just too much fun to play, I'm genuinely not sure.

Sephzilla

¡HarlequinPanic!;185803433 said:
It'd be cool to see a weekend social playlist option with that. Weren't the H2A maps in the halo 5 engine? Change up the weapon spawns in it and give it a whirl.

I thought H2A was a modified Halo 4 engine? It really sucks that MCC was so botched, H2A is probably my favorite Bungie-style Halo multiplayer ever.

Classic maps that aren't forge maps*

Also, this.

You did a great job - the Sprint has been fantastic!

I was very happy to see that the LE soundtrack is going to have some episodes of the Sprint on Blu-ray. I take it those episodes will be season 3? I only recently finished season 2 now that I'm not on a media blackout for the game and would rather hold off on the 3rd season to wait for that Blu-ray for the better quality video.

The LE soundtrack was mastered back in September. It includes all of season 2 and an exclusive episode. The exclusive is an edit that contains scenes from "Composer" and "Press Start" as well as a couple of scenes that are only in the LE version. This episode may be released on our channels after the LE hits on 11/20, but I'm not sure.

Trup1aya

I thought getting shot cancels sprint if you haven't reached full speed yet? It certainly feels like that for me, hence why I never try to sprint away...

Yeah trying to sprint is useless if you have already been shot, so I'm not sure why he's saying people are sprinting away before he can finish kills...

I still think the Halo 5 weapons sandbox and mobility options would be fun as hell on classic maps more so than the new 343 ones.

You'll be able to test in December. A few straight-up recreations vs. a few modified ones.

once again, this major issue gets a free pass from the Halo community.

Why? no fucking idea

Because nobody else has noticed it, so it's really not that much of a major issue? Just form a party and switch to game chat when the map loads.

Sephzilla

One thing I'm actually trying to do is just sprint less in general. I've fallen into a bad habit of trying to sprint all over the place to get back into the action and it's getting me killed a bit too much. Trying to go back to some more basic Halo fundamentals by keeping my gun ready at all times.

yeah sprinting everywhere is a good way to get killed, which is a nice balance to the feature, though slide gives you another option to ready up quickly and even toss off the enemies shot a bit (or give them an easier headshot). :eek:

I just love the way moving in this game feels. There's three ways to change course in mid-air. THREE. who can hate that?

Herbs

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;185804627 said:
yeah sprinting everywhere is a good way to get killed, which is a nice balance to the feature, though slide gives you another option to ready up quickly and even toss off the enemies shot a bit (or give them an easier headshot). :eek:

I just love the way moving in this game feels. There's three ways to change course in mid-air. THREE. who can hate that?

people who suck at the game

BraXzy

Really minor thing, but it irritates me how when you go to Spartan Appearance it has Armor at the top. But in Collection > Customization, it has helmet at the top.

Sephzilla

¡HarlequinPanic!;185804627 said:

I'm still not a fan of sprinting in Halo but I do love the mid air options

Answers inline
Have a few questions for you out of interest if you're able to answer.

How did you get into doing The Sprints? Have you done stuff like this before?

-Big fan of BTS stuff. Worked on some of the H4 vidocs a bit and made the H4 DLC vidocs. Definitely influenced by film BTSs - lately the Hobbit extended edition stuff. Amazing.

How long did you spend at 343? I assume you went for short visits every few months?

-I'm a full-timer. All day 'er day.

Any cool things that happened while you were there? Favourite bit to film?

-Mr. October was rad and spending two weeks in europe w/ Kazuma wasn't too shabby either. My fave game-centric stuff was prob w sandbox team discussing aim assist. I love that stuff. There is a LOT more to that scene about other topics that may be released later if I can find time to put it together.

How much do you end up filming to work with while you edit? Would happily watch dozens of these :)

-Each meeting/ scene is 20-60 minutes on average. Edited down to 3-4 minutes. Sometimes multi-cam. There is lots of stuff on the cutting room table that may see the light of day someday. Can't say for certain.

And again, fantastic job! Looked forward to all of these episodes.

darthbob

Really minor thing, but it irritates me how when you go to Spartan Appearance it has Armor at the top. But in Collection > Customization, it has helmet at the top.

What bothers me is that there's no way to quickly cycle through armor.

Give me an option to order it A-Z, Z-A, and by date acquired pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom