• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Halo 3's scarab fights are massively overrated. Once you get over the initial wow factor they're really quite boring and repetitive.

They essentially boil down to slightly different variations of jump on and shoot a core. The fact that you have to go through four of them in H3 is just annoying. Kinda like it's annoying to have a bunch of repeated Warden fights.

Except they are not. There is multiple approaches on how to take the Scarab fights and each mission also gives you an other vehicle to fight them. Scarab fights are one of the best things in Halo 3 and it never felt boring to me. Heck, I soleley replay The Ark/ The Covenant to fight the Scarabs again and again from time to time. But I guess opinions...

jem0208

Warden appeared a bit too much though. You fight him like 8 times just going off the top of my head.

Scarabs were also supplemented with vehicles. Warden you only fight once with one Scorpion, and that's only if it survived up to that point.
Oh I agree the Warden fights were too much, I'm definitely not saying they're better than scarab fights.

I just think the scarabs are overrated and are repeated too many times as well.

Welfare

Except they are not. There is multiple approaches on how to take the Scarab fights and each mission also gives you an other vehicle to fight them. Scarab fights are one of the best things in Halo 3 and it never felt boring to me. Heck, I soleley replay The Ark/ The Covenant to fight the Scarabs again and again from time to time. But I guess opinions...

The Covenant is still my all time favorite Halo level. Damn was it fun, and nothing in the next Halo's even get close to the type of gameplay variety and pure epicness that the level invokes, except for possibly Tip of the Spear.

Halo 5 lacked a good vehicle section.

Oh I agree the Warden fights were too much, I'm definitely not saying they're better than scarab fights.

I can agree with this. I never found the Scarabs to be THAT great, but what Bungie gave you to fight them was what made those sections fun.

Halo 3's scarab fights are massively overrated. Once you get over the initial wow factor they're really quite boring and repetitive.

They essentially boil down to slightly different variations of jump on and shoot a core. The fact that you have to go through four of them in H3 is just annoying. Kinda like it's annoying to have a bunch of repeated Warden fights.

Terrible opinion, as always I see.

The scarab fights are a culmination of the scenario they're put in, you're thinking of the fight as a sole entity.

There's so many ways in which to have opportunities to kill the scarab, and you can use anything in the environment to do so, that sandbox experience extends to them.

Sordid

Last night I was behind someone in arena and had the shotgun, I ran up to him as he was running away, hard aimed and shot him in the back for a whopping little to no damage, I would have done tons better standing still spraying the AR at him.

With how the shotgun feels right now it needs a small bump up in shot speed, weapons kill so fast in halo 5 that if you miss that first shotgun blast you are in trouble.

I've started selling any shotguns and scattershots I get from req packs, usually takes a few shots for me to kill anyone with them. Feels doubly awesome when a single shotgun shot downs me from miles away.

The joys of being put into US servers now and again I'd imagine :(

This and the teleporting platforms cutscene felt a lot like concessions made to accomodate the fact that you have 3 'independent' AI buddies following you at all times. I get what they were going for (full online co-op with buddies as your squad) but I don't think enough players would take advantage of it enough to justify the structure, especially if it makes us only speculators to some cool stuff.

In general I'm not a fan of PVE games, so maybe I'm just down on that in general. Still liked the campaign for the most part, had a lot of cool moments. Liked 4's a lot more though.

RobNBanks

Banned

Scarab fights were repeated, but each instance was different.

First time you fight a scarab in Halo 3 is mission 4 I think, all you have is a mongoose and missile turrets. an elevator for easy access onto the scarab

Second time I think you're in a tank. or maybe it's a warthog, it's a vehicle though. there's also grav lifts to help you get onto the scarab

then the double scarab fight where you have hornets.

While Scarabs themselves weren't all that great, it never felt boring because each encounter was different.

Fuchsdh

The Covenant is still my all time favorite Halo level. Damn was it fun, and nothing in the next Halo's even get close to the type of gameplay variety and pure epicness that the level invokes, except for possibly Tip of the Spear.

I can agree with this. I never found the Scarabs to be THAT great, but what Bungie gave you to fight them was what made those sections fun.

In terms of "open sandbox with other vehicles to fight" I'll agree. Even Halo 4 had the Lich encounter which threw more stuff at you. It's probably the only thing I felt was missing from the game (also, it would have been nice to have had as many alternate vehicle paths for running encounters as we did alternate footpaths, for example on Meridian.)

I am sorry. But I can't really put generic arena filled with Prometheans in the same category as 'Tartarus, the prophets have betrayed us..' which then triggers Tartarus who then proceeds to pimp slap Elites across the map with his Fist of Rukt.

Still, seeing the Halo emerge at the end of 'The Covenant' and then finally activating it at the end while subsequently trying to get off the ring in a Warthog was on par with CE's Warthog run for me.

It's like.. Halo 3 had the Scarab fights which still haven't been topped in my opinion. I played through Halo 3 like 2 months ago and I rode out with the marines on the various Mongoose and I saw one getting stomped by the Scarab and I just laughed my ass off. There's all kinds of shit going on, and this only increased in the later encounters on the Ark and during The Covenant.

Compare it to the hyped up Kraken encounter, I was just disappointed. It doesn't do anything really. It just sits there and has a bunch of turrets that shoot at you, drop down, shoot the core and exit. I met like one elite on the way to the core. I kinda expected a Scarab fight x10. Eh.

Agreed on the Scarab fights, they're still really fun (although a bit too easy when you know what to do). Disappointed Halo 5 didn't go with a more organic Kraken fight when the tech clearly is capable of it.

Halo 5's ending is really cool in terms of story IMO, it's an exciting cliffhanger which still ties the Halo 5 story up nicely and I think the writers should get credit for that. Halo 2's ending felt very abrupt (for obvious reasons). The fight itself was quite unmemorable as well.

I think the concept of the Halo 3 ending is a lot cooler than it actually is fun to play. Still better than 2/5, but not even close to The Maw for me. I remember finishing Halo 3 and thinking it probably just was rose tinted glasses that made me think it was so much weaker but it just isn't as well designed, The Maw has several routes through every room, better jumps, does a better job making the Warthog handling feel like it's helping you instead of making everything harder than it should be, and so on and on.

Fuchsdh

Agreed on the Scarab fights, they're still really fun (although a bit too easy when you know what to do). Disappointed Halo 5 didn't go with a more organic Kraken fight when the tech clearly is capable of it.

Halo 5's ending is really cool in terms of story IMO, it's an exciting cliffhanger which still ties the Halo 5 story up nicely and I think the writers should get credit for that. Halo 2's ending felt very abrupt (for obvious reasons). The fight itself was quite unmemorable as well.

I think the concept of the Halo 3 ending is a lot cooler than it actually is fun to play. Still better than 2/5, but not even close to The Maw for me. I remember finishing Halo 3 and thinking it probably just was rose tinted glasses that made me think it was so much weaker but it just isn't as well designed, The Maw has several routes through every room, better jumps, does a better job making the Warthog handling feel like it's helping you instead of making everything harder than it should be, and so on and on.

The biggest frustration with H3 is that ever tile is coded to blow manually, and so on co-op if you're not close enough the trailing person is going to fall through and be left behind.

The exploding tiles also seem to inconsistently not affect your Hog, or knock it around. And yeah, there are far less successful routes (then again if you're going for time there's really only one good navigable path for the CE trench run too.)

Honestly the Trench run is something that worked wonderfully for the first game and really shouldn't be reused. Halo 4's "Forerunner" trench run just suffered from a similar lack of paths, but at least the "Midnight" fighter setpiece was something actually novel for the series.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, kind of a weird complaint, but it's something that makes me a little sad everytime I play this game.

Coming off of Counter-Strike as my main game before playing Halo 5:Guardians, It makes me really sad playing this game solo-queue 90% of the time. No one ever talks in game. You see in Warzone 10 people with a mic, out of party chat, but rarely does anyone ever just want to talk. Not even making callouts... but just continuing the fun by interacting with each other and showcasing emotion.

Almost everyone in Counter-Strike has a mic, the whole game it's you and four other people just talking for an hour, trying to win. Be it laughing and having giggles, or raging and fighting with each other, at least it's so interaction. Halo 5 feels so dead and depressing just running around fragging for 10-20 minutes, because no one wants to talk.

well then, as soon as btb hits I'll play a lot and I usually want to talk during playing. so let's play together.

Jebron

Anyone know of a high-res version of this picture?

6wKS74L.jpg

JackHerer

I really want BTB to be today but I have a feeling we won't get it till Wed or Thursday. How can they not give a specific date this close to release? 343 still kind of sucks at communicating things.

Fotos

I really want BTB to be today but I have a feeling we won't get it till Wed or Thursday. How can they not give a specific date this close to release? 343 still kind of sucks at communicating things.

I'm pretty sure it goes through Microsoft Cert testing which is now in their hands not 343's.

Only updates have to go through this process

RedSonja

Banned
Having just finished the single player campaign, I'm hoping that the multiplayer aspect can provide this game with some longevity. It was just over 6 hours for me and I expected more:-/

Madness

Platinum in Team Arena, Platinum in Breakout, Platinum in SWAT, Gold in Slayer, didn't try FFA yet. Not too shabby for solo queuing like 97% of the matches and probably having a quitter on team once every 3 matches which ended in a loss. Time to poopsock upto Diamond at least. I really dislike this ranking system. Just blows my mind anyone thinks that 10 matches should be difference between Major, and Colonel in terms of Halo 3 ranks. Heck some people play like shit and even get Onyx and that's Brigadier level or above. I don't know. Quitters, no chance to fall below the rank, not displayed anywhere meaningfully. Don't see myself enjoying it for long.

Fotos

Did 343 say anything about the game types being played on the BTB maps? Is it just CTF and Slayer? Sucks not having classic games like Oddball, Assault, KotH

EDIT: They will probably have strongholds. That sounds fun with 16 players.

I would take 343 applying fan feedback of "we need more super open varied wide sandbox super battles with branching paths (even though that's pretty much only been in Halo (CE Level) and ONI Sword Base)" and cranking it up to 11 compared to them putting that effort towards doing the same thing with all the "there's no double scarab wow moments" comments any day of the week.

RobNBanks

Banned
The more I play this game, the more the lack of playlists/gametypes is really getting to me.

I really hope they add more. 4 of the 5 playlist I don't like and only played to see where I would get placed. I like Team Arena, but it's basically Team Slayer with some Breakout thrown in for me.

Played a few matches last night with a friend, and had enough Req points for a silver pack..Rolled the dice and finally got the DMR cert right before bed!!

JackHerer

Did 343 say anything about the game types being played on the BTB maps? Is it just CTF and Slayer? Sucks not having classic games like Oddball, Assault, KotH

EDIT: They will probably have strongholds. That sounds fun with 16 players.

In the weekly update it was mentioned that one of the maps was designed (by the community forger at least) to be a good CTF map. Nothing definitive on what we'll see for game types though.

Still trying hard to enjoy Warzone, but it just doesn't work for me. I thought it would be this expansive playlist where you can do anything to earn points for your team, but as it is it's just go to boss, kill, repeat. All these weapons and vehicles and players, but it all just feels empty to me. It's also way too open, not enough nooks and trees and stuff to hide from vehicles. Halo gameplay just feels weird in big open areas.

Arena on the other hand is the best it's ever been. Too bad Warzone sucked the content out of it though, it's so damn bare bones.

The more I play this game, the more the lack of playlists/gametypes is really getting to me.

I really hope they add more. 4 of the 5 playlist I don't like and only played to see where I would get placed. I like Team Arena, but it's basically Team Slayer with some Breakout thrown in for me.

I would play team arena more if Breakout was not in it, I like that mode but not when I want to find objective games, Breakout is a special mode you really need to be in the mood to play.

ElNino

Is this how bronze is generally? Got my girlfriend to start playing and I feel like she could compete at this level of play. She struggles to move, aim and shoot at the same time but she's managed to get some kills.
As someone who was placed in Bronze and played a few matches, no not really. I'm tempted to let my son (who is 9) give it a try though to see how he would handle it. He's fine at FPS movement from lots of time playing Minecraft and some MCC Halo, but I think he might have trouble adjusting to the pace of a multiplayer match.

The few matches I've played in bronze were pretty good, including an incredibly tense 50-49 loss.

This is my 2nd update to the map issues, I didn't include breakout or warzone as I don't really dig them or I don't play them enough to have a strong opinion on it.

Alright, worked on a part 2 beyond the visuals and moved over to actual map design. Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I understand not everyone agrees.

A lot of the issues i am going to bring forth are probably a result of having sprint, clamber in the game. And a lot of the issues can be gotten rid of with taking out clamber, sprint or both.

In the group of pictures we will go over the following ideas that will be covered

Sight lines- these are visble paths that help you keep track of enemies across map, or some where on the map. Also provides lines in which you shoot the opposing team and....

Choke points- these are points that are more or less forced or need to be used in situations

Levels- the basic idea of levels, how many layers is around and how it affects movement and shots

Rush points- I would like to consider rush points as the idea of going around a wall or area to finish a kill or gain entry to a choke point

Cover - cover is the basic idea of getting into a position that makes you had to kill

Clutter- Clutter is an idea when you basically have too many things on the map, in the way or just adding visual points to a map that make it harder to see or move. There is a fine line between Cover, Choke points, Rush points, and clutter. What can make or break it will be covered.

First up let's show some good examples of clutter that many people see mentioned for Halo 5

HDFq0Xn.jpg

Pic 1- too many obstacles and varying levels to block movement or sight lines

Pic 2 - this one follows the sight line issues a eve when you do get shots with the sight lines provided you cant do rush points, because going around to finish off kills is blocked by big barries, then layers are a bit more forced and clamber is engaged

Pic 3- Just a lot of clutter and kills sight lines

Pic 4- Just a great example of clutter that breaks most everything, breaks sight lines, breaks rush points etc

Pic 5- Again, the clutter and walls just breaks sight points and forces you must chase people or find them in close range to kill them.

From the halo 3 pics provdied you can see that the clutter and cover provided makes it easy to engage and push in for a kill or push in to your death. In various pictures you can also see how it's easy to spot people in many sight points to go for shots with snipe such as narrows, or to push in for better positions to create a tactical advantage since you were spotting them on the good sight points before they realized where you were.

next up

Rush Points-

Tda9TQq.jpg

Pic 1 - in pic one if I am shooting a guy coming around the tube like structure, I can't easily go around and flank him in the rush point. i either need to rush him straight on, or forget about it. I can try to go around and rush him but he will either be gone or he will push the opposite side. either way, a very hard rush point. Halo 5 has these issues in spades.

Pic 2- In this pic you can see where rush points and levels play a big roll in making the game more hard. I can't easily run around and flush out a good Rush point here. The guy has too many options to run back and we won't be hitting any choke points to kill one another.

Pic 3- Same as above

Pic 4- Just a lot of big walled areas and clutter making kills difficult , needing to push in close

Pic 5- Rush point issues

Pic 6- this is an interesting one, if I am on bridge and I light the guy up across map, I simply can't finish him. I may be able to time some nice jumps to the rocket launcher spawn area but that only helps if he actually goes there. Getting to the rush point and sight line kills here is really difficult. Levels also plays an issue here as well.

More sight line, rush ponits, choke point issues

k0yM84Q.jpg

Pic 1- This is a levels issue, while the halo 3 pic has big walls, the choke points are still more chokeable. In the halo 5 shot the levels and random walls just hurts the basic idea of gameplay.

Pic 2- These big walls that I have been referring to cuts way down on sight lines and makes it near impossible to tell where other players are.

Pic 3- Same as above...

Pic 4- Same as above

Pic 5- Look at how huge these walls are compare to my character on the left- it''s no wonder I need sprint to get around these huge walls, Would take me quite a while to get any sight lines or visibility of people without sprint and this is why we need sprint out, so we can stop with these badly designed maps.

Pic 6- this is a bit of the issues I find when I say a map is stretched out, bad sight lines, bad choke points , this map has most of it all

Even if I get some nice shots on a person, they have easy access to walls, and I have no rush points, no choke points and I have to cover a ton of distance and climbing to try it. With a good team this map is more manageble but it's more work than it's worth.

Distance issues again

pY5AXrv.jpg

Pic 1- not only is there distance issues, it's also a lot of bad sight lines, I honestly would have a hard time finishing anyone off under me, I'd have to chase them or know they are there and even then with then sprinting around everywhere who knows which turn they actually took. Also, even across map on the SAME level provides a lot of sight line issues.

Pic 2- I have to jump up to be shot at, which isn't a huge problem, but there is no where to shoot from without standing up in broad day light, other wise I can't see anything anyways, this is almost 1/8th of the map in this overall area. And I have no sight lines except up high.

Pic 3- Just more big walls and issues

Conclusion- I chose Halo 3 because I simply believe it has the best maps in the series (my personal opinion yes)

If halo 3 has a big wall, it's part of a specific part of the map like you find in high ground, rocket, sniper area and it provides a decent choke point. A lot of the maps in halo 3 are on a 1 layer flat level, with 2 levels provided in sections of the map. They provide good sight lines , easy to do rush points and they aren't cluttered.

Even when a map has 3 main levels such as construct they are created in such a way that you can still see and flank and get out of situations in unique ways.

maps like standoff provide rocks that give you the choice of pushing out to finish a kill or lose your battle and be killed. Other than that, they don't clutter things up that create issues in getting into your battles.

So, basically I feel clamber and sprint are some of the big issues for the things I have presented, map design is also bad in it self even if sprint wasn't in the game.

Sight lines really are a big failure in the game, can't see where people are, can't get decent shots at each other and make choices to push out to finish a kill etc

*Fathom doesn't show nearly as many of these issues, so I left it out of the comparison.

Nipper, your comparisons and analysis of Halo 5 vs. Halo 3 maps are bad, and you should feel bad. None of your pictures show remotely similar situations on remotely similar maps. For god's sake you compare Standoff to The Rig, and Standoff's a BTB map! A BTB map, Nipper! And ALL of your sightline comparisons are trash. You pick the longest line of sight on any given map (or the nearly longest), and you compare it to an H5 screen picked apparently at random.

They say, when the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When they're not, bang real hard on the table. Make a lot of noise, and hope people don't look too hard.

Would you please stop banging on the table?

jem0208

Even with different vehicles it still boiled down to "shoot the legs until it falls over". Giving you a scorpion instead of a rocket mongoose didn't really change it up all that much. The hornet scarab fight was okay but the environment was really boring and the fact that the rockets locked on made it far too easy.

Honestly though I've never really enjoyed Halo's vehicular combat in the campaign unless I'm playing co-op. Rolling around in a scorpion is fun for the first 10 minutes but quickly grows repetitive and relying on your AI teammates to shoot for you isn't interesting at all (This doesn't include the Warthog runs through, they were amazing).

Honestly I was perfectly fine with the lack of large vehicle sections and set pieces in 5. They nailed the on foot combat and level design so damn well that I don't think they were needed.
Nipper, your comparisons and analysis of Halo 5 vs. Halo 3 maps are bad, and you should feel bad. None of your pictures show remotely similar situations on remotely similar maps. For god's sake you compare Standoff to The Rig, and Standoff's a BTB map! A BTB map, Nipper! And ALL of your sightline comparisons are trash. You pick the longest line of sight on any given map (or the nearly longest), and you compare it to an H5 screen picked apparently at random.

They say, when the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When they're not, bang real hard on the table. Make a lot of noise, and hope people don't look too hard.

Yeah, these comparisons make no sense...

yeah I think I agree with this. Halo 5 simply has different map design sensibilities than some maps in the older titles, and the multiplayer suite is impeccably built around it. I want more maps, and especially more with some visual flavor to them, but I feel like every map feels really good to play in.

Even with different vehicles it still boiled down to "shoot the legs until it falls over". Giving you a scorpion instead of a rocket mongoose didn't really change it up all that much. The hornet scarab fight was okay but the environment was really boring and the fact that the rockets locked on made it far too easy.

Honestly though I've never really enjoyed Halo's vehicular combat in the campaign unless I'm playing co-op. Rolling around in a scorpion is fun for the first 10 minutes but quickly grows repetitive and relying on your AI teammates to shoot for you isn't interesting at all (This doesn't include the Warthog runs through, they were amazing).

Honestly I was perfectly fine with the lack of large vehicle sections and set pieces in 5. They nailed the on foot combat and level design so damn well that I don't think they were needed.

Pretty much every scarab fight had a way for you to board it without taking the legs out - which tended to be the more fun way of taking those things down

I appreciate the work you did, nipper, but I also don't get the comparisons. Yea, Halo 5 has some bad map design, but it needs to be different because of mobility. If the sight lines/rush points/choke points were like Halo 3 it wouldn't work either.

BraXzy

When you connect to a lobby and hear voices for the first time in forever but it turns out they are on the enemy team RIP.

I appreciate the work you did, nipper, but I also don't get the comparisons. Yea, Halo 5 has some bad map design, but it needs to be different because of mobility. If the sight lines/rush points/choke points were like Halo 3 it wouldn't work either.

The issue is there is clutter and no sight lines forcing people into close range fights. This just doesn't feel like halo and maybe for what halo 5 is is the real issue for me.

I don't feel I am comparing the gameplay pound for pound as much of what I'm showing what works for a halo game perhaps.

I really hate the low key visibility in Halo 5, and with the faster gameplay you would think you should have more sight lines while keeping the flanking points?

The issue is there is clutter and no sight lines forcing people into close range fights. This just doesn't feel like halo and maybe for what halo 5 is is the real issue for me.

I don't feel I am comparing the gameplay pound for pound as much of what I'm showing what works for a halo game perhaps.

I really hate the low key visibility in Halo 5, and with the faster gameplay you would think you should have more sight lines while keeping the flanking points?

This sounds like people complaining that there was too much glow and too many particles in Geometry Wars 2 meanwhile Your Ex Wife is the best player on the planet and can easily see through the noise, as can I.

You mean if friends join your in-game party you can't speak to them until after a match starts?

I haven't noticed this because I've been using the dash to form parties. If this is true, it makes no sense...

Yes, exactly. And if you create a party, you can't hear matchmade teammates in-game.

I'd love to see 343's reasoning on this 'decision.' aka "it's a feature not a bug!"

I can also imagine that 343 would roll their eyes at me and feel I don't get it. I get what they are trying to do, I just don't like what they are trying to do I guess. Not trying to look like I don't understand why they implement more walls and less sight points. It just doesn't feel right for me for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom