• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been seeing adverts for Halo 5 focusing on Warzone that seems to include a shot of an unreleased map? Unless there is a developed road thingy surrounded by tall buildings on one of them.

TCKaos

Why isn't there a way to disable certifications in REQs? There's absolutely no way to remove the low-tier slot machine after you've built up your rare REQs and certs.

It's like having a deck building game with no way to remove cards from or deck or select which cards you'd like to purchase. You will absolutely always been buried in Scout Warthogs and Mongeese and Supressors and Storm Rifles and you'll almost never use any of them but you'll keep getting them instead of things you want or need, like the third version of the Warrior Helmet you've opened today.

Hey guys, I shoot and edit The Sprint. The finale will hit tomorrow. I'm not sure exactly when though - the announcement somehow slipped through the cracks in today's update. It should also be noted that there will be just one new episode. 5 and 6 ended up getting merged into one super-sized finale. It just made more sense that way as I was editing. I hope you all enjoy it :)

Apologies for missing the date by one day. I kinda ball-parked it back when the episodes were in production and I finished work on s3e2. The date slid a day as we try to line up all of our marketing/ CU updates. It's a fluid thing based on many factors.

It's been great to hear everyone's feedback on the show. It has been an awesome two years working on it :) I hope other studios pick up on what we did with The Sprint and other big studios drop the veil of secrecy a bit too. Enjoy!

It really is excellent work.

Vico

The Srint is excellent. Great job, can't wait for the last episode.

So, I've been seeing adverts for Halo 5 focusing on Warzone that seems to include a shot of an unreleased map? Unless there is a developed road thingy surrounded by tall buildings on one of them.

Yeah, we've seen it in the Gamescom trailer. Should be a DLC map, I guess.

Hatchtag

Banned
Why isn't there a way to disable certifications in REQs? There's absolutely no way to remove the low-tier slot machine after you've built up your rare REQs and certs.

It's like having a deck building game with no way to remove cards from or deck or select which cards you'd like to purchase. You will absolutely always been buried in Scout Warthogs and Mongeese and Supressors and Storm Rifles and you'll almost never use any of them but you'll keep getting them instead of things you want or need, like the third version of the Warrior Helmet you've opened today.

Certs, imo, shouldn't have increased the probability of getting a weapon and should've instead allowed you to spend REQ points purchasing them. Like, you get a cert for a shotgun, and then you're allowed to always purchase a shotgun for 50 REQ points.

Vico

Certs, imo, shouldn't have increased the probability of getting a weapon and should've instead allowed you to spend REQ points purchasing them. Like, you get a cert for a shotgun, and then you're allowed to always purchase a shotgun for 50 REQ points.

It would defeat the purpose.
You'd just need to play one match to be able to buy, like, 20 tanks. That'd be way too much.

However, if the buying price is way superior to the sellig price, I guess it could work. But yeah, the problem is, people would just spam the same weapons over and over again.

Coxy100

Banned
Just finished the campaign.

Massively disappointed.

I love Halo, it's the franchise that got me 'loyal' to microsoft and left playstation back in 2001. But man this is by far the weakest entry for me. I now see why Angry Joe was so angry in his review - I wholeheartedly agree with him.

My issues:

• 3 of the 15 missions are just talking to people. WTF? 1 of them was just literally talking to Dr Halsey, wtf did 343 include them? Just to get the mission count up?
  • The main bad guy (I won't say who in case you haven't played it). I can't believe they turned them into the bad person - a completely travesty after I built up loyalty to them over so many games - really sad they changed that.
  • Team based gameplay - really miss playing as a lone wolf - that's what the franchise has been upto now, no need to change that
  • Playing as Chief for only 3 missions - after so many games playing as him we now only get 3 missions with him?? he IS halo to me, so gutted that so much focus is on Osiris
  • Not enough human weapons / ammo in the levels
  • The story has got a bit convoluted for me. I'm not a fan of the prometheans - just give me good old fashioned covenant / the flood and I'm happy.
  • The final mission was also a bit of a let down. I wanted the epic Halo music to come on and then some massive Warthog battle or something :)
  • Really missed not playing BTB in multiplayer. I'm now moving onto other games and won't be coming back as Fallout / tomb raider and others are waiting for me. It should have been there for launch. The cynical part of me wonders if they kept it out so you could only play Warzone and then pay for reqs....

The graphics and music are good in the game, but man what a let down - it could have been awesome. I'm praying Halo 6 is a return to form. I'll never tire of the franchise - it's probably my favourite series after Mass Effect / Starcraft but christ this entry was so weak for me....

I somehow feel that balancing/matchmaking in Warzone isn't working too well that last week. Previously I also encountered teams that where a lot stronger than the other but lately it's either the other team steamrolling us or the other way round but rarely anything in between?

Perhaps Arena rankings should be taken into consideration when building teams? What's your take on this?

As for the sprint - I found Season 3 somewhat weaker than the previous installments. Still a great series overall that I hope continues in future games. Also looking forward to the finale.

I somehow feel that balancing/matchmaking in Warzone isn't working too well that last week. Previously I also encountered teams that where a lot stronger than the other but lately it's either the other team steamrolling us or the other way round but rarely anything in between?

Yeah my first Warzone this morning was apparently a rare close affair that was a lot of fun. My next two were steamrollers on one side each, and they were no fun at all.

Yeah my first Warzone this morning was apparently a rare close affair that was a lot of fun. My next two were steamrollers on one side each, and they were no fun at all.

I feel it also has to do with the map as well. Apex 7 is the most balanced of them all due to all the accessways literally everywhere. But Escape from ARC is a freaking steamroll convention because of all the bottlenecks.

I feel it also has to do with the map as well. Apex 7 is the most balanced of them all due to all the accessways literally everywhere. But Escape from ARC is a freaking steamroll convention because of all the bottlenecks.

ARC is just terrible map design.

The back of it needs to be opened up so that you can flank directly behind to get to the East and West base, instead of going through the tunnels.

Herbs

Banned

I'd say Apex 7 is the worst when it comes to the Warden fight. Red Side has a distinct advantage due to where he spawns.

Herbs

Banned
I had no idea that the Wraith was so good in Warzone, even took out a Scorpion with it and they're supposed to beat everything.

It's amazing what a well played vehicle can do. I suck at Banshee so those end up going to waste but Ghosts or Warthogs can own. As much as gunning is fun in a Warthog, my driving skills are where it's at. I can often runa Warthog for a third of the time and go through a slew of gunners who get hit and taken down in the process, but sometimes you can get that killer gunner combo.

PeteMc

Neo Member
I came for the campaign but I'm staying for the mulltiplayer

Really enjoyed the campaign I've only played solo but legendary really was fun,I would of prefered a bit more time playing as blue team but gameplay is second to none IMO.

Warzone is a good laugh to play but I really feel 343i nailed Arena. Strongholds is fast becoming my fav game mode.

Prob my fav multiplayer in the Halo series

Madness

So tired of JiP into Warzone matches. How hard is it to allow for choice? I'd rather wait 2-3 extra minutes than start a match two bases down and losing. Fuck.

Just finished the campaign.

Massively disappointed.

I love Halo, it's the franchise that got me 'loyal' to microsoft and left playstation back in 2001. But man this is by far the weakest entry for me. I now see why Angry Joe was so angry in his review - I wholeheartedly agree with him.

My issues:

• 3 of the 15 missions are just talking to people. WTF? 1 of them was just literally talking to Dr Halsey, wtf did 343 include them? Just to get the mission count up?
  • The main bad guy (I won't say who in case you haven't played it). I can't believe they turned them into the bad person - a completely travesty after I built up loyalty to them over so many games - really sad they changed that.
  • Team based gameplay - really miss playing as a lone wolf - that's what the franchise has been upto now, no need to change that
  • Playing as Chief for only 3 missions - after so many games playing as him we now only get 3 missions with him?? he IS halo to me, so gutted that so much focus is on Osiris
  • Not enough human weapons / ammo in the levels
  • The story has got a bit convoluted for me. I'm not a fan of the prometheans - just give me good old fashioned covenant / the flood and I'm happy.
    [*]The final mission was also a bit of a let down. I wanted the epic Halo music to come on and then some massive Warthog battle or something :)
  • Really missed not playing BTB in multiplayer. I'm now moving onto other games and won't be coming back as Fallout / tomb raider and others are waiting for me. It should have been there for launch. The cynical part of me wonders if they kept it out so you could only play Warzone and then pay for reqs....

The graphics and music are good in the game, but man what a let down - it could have been awesome. I'm praying Halo 6 is a return to form. I'll never tire of the franchise - it's probably my favourite series after Mass Effect / Starcraft but christ this entry was so weak for me....

Yeah, going through the campaign again. The last mission is such a weak finale. Feels like a glorified spartan ops mission to be honest.

Jump in mantis or other vehicle, destroy these three unimpressive cores. Move onto yet another Forerunner arena environment and fight off a bunch of waves of Prometheans. That's it, that's the finale.

Halo 1 had the Maw, Halo 2 had the epic revelation from the Arbiter and the fight with Tartarus, Halo 3 had 343GS (Johnson! :'( ) and the insane warthog run. Hell, even Halo 4 had the Broadsword trench run.

Herbs

Banned
So tired of JiP into Warzone matches. How hard is it to allow for choice? I'd rather wait 2-3 extra minutes than start a match two bases down and losing. Fuck.

That's why Apex is Awesome. If you are down just go out the back of the base and pcik people off.

Trup1aya

I got JiP'ed three times in a row, and each time there was around 2min left in the match. It needs to be an opt-out thing.

Montresor

So I finally, after almost a fucking MONTH, had a chance to play some campaign missions. I am very impressed.

Where's the false advertising? Chief has gone AWOL and Locke is chasing after him. I'm at mission 7 right now and that's the story so far. I'm going to be very disappointed in this community if it turns out the "false advertising" was pointless whining.

There was this one mission (4 I think) which consisted of Osiris interrogating civilians - a but surprising to see that as a full mission bit it made me think how cool it would be to have a full RPG set in the Halo universe.

The art style and graphics are lush and beautiful. The gun play, set pieces, characters, and story are all very compelling so far. I just love all the character appearances, Halsey, Lasky, Palmer, Chief and Blue Team, Osiris with frigging Buck from ODST, and even (spoiler)
Cortana

And in my current mission I'm playing as Blue Team and landing on the
Elite
homeworld and possibly will meet
the Arbiter
?!?!? I'm liking it so far.

Yeah, going through the campaign again. The last mission is such a weak finale. Feels like a glorified spartan ops mission to be honest.

Jump in mantis or other vehicle, destroy these three unimpressive cores. Move onto yet another Forerunner arena environment and fight off a bunch of waves of Prometheans. That's it, that's the finale.

Halo 1 had the Maw, Halo 2 had the epic revelation from the Arbiter and the fight with Tartarus, Halo 3 had 343GS (Johnson! :'( ) and the insane warthog run. Hell, even Halo 4 had the Broadsword trench run.

The Maw is by far the best final mission, I thought Halo 2 and Halo 3 were letdowns. I liked the Halo 5 ending from a story perspective, the "fight a bunch of knights in an arena" final encounter was just as disappointing as the Halo 2 one though. Would have been much cooler to have an expanded version of the section where
you run down a freaking guardian.

Madness

Also remove Breakout from Team Arena. No offense. It plays nothing like base Halo, so why is it there and in its own Playlist? I get you want people playing your new modes, but if you force it like this it leads to negative reactions.

If I want to play it, I'd pick it. Team Arena should just be a mix of Slayer and Objective, weighted more towards Objective since there is already a Slayer playlist.

Montresor

Also remove Breakout from Team Arena. No offense. It plays nothing like base Halo, so why is it there and in its own Playlist? I get you want people playing your new modes, but if you force it like this it leads to negative reactions.

If I want to play it, I'd pick it. Team Arena should just be a mix of Slayer and Objective, weighted more towards Objective since there is already a Slayer playlist.

By that logic - why doesn't Slayer stay out of Team Arena since it has its own playlist?

But to be fair I don't like Breakout (not because the mode is bad but because it seems like the only map that has Breakout is the blue simulation map)

BraXzy

Hey guys, I shoot and edit The Sprint. The finale will hit tomorrow. I'm not sure exactly when though - the announcement somehow slipped through the cracks in today's update. It should also be noted that there will be just one new episode. 5 and 6 ended up getting merged into one super-sized finale. It just made more sense that way as I was editing. I hope you all enjoy it :)

Apologies for missing the date by one day. I kinda ball-parked it back when the episodes were in production and I finished work on s3e2. The date slid a day as we try to line up all of our marketing/ CU updates. It's a fluid thing based on many factors.

It's been great to hear everyone's feedback on the show. It has been an awesome two years working on it :) I hope other studios pick up on what we did with The Sprint and other big studios drop the veil of secrecy a bit too. Enjoy!

Oh wow. You've done a fantastic job with the videos. They've all been great to watch. Well shot, well edited and cover great stuff.

Surprised it's only done by one person. I'll let you off for missing the date ;)

Madness

By that logic - why doesn't Slayer stay out of Team Arena since it has its own playlist?

But to be fair I don't like Breakout (not because the mode is bad but because it seems like the only map that has Breakout is the blue simulation map)

Except it's not like that logic since Slayer and Team Objective are the same game. It's like saying SWAT and Slayer are the same. Breakout has wildly different time to kill and playing mechanics. The only difference between Slayer and Objective is that you have an objective to complete (ie capture flag, control strongholds) or you have to just kill the other team. Weapons fire the same, there is the same radar, people die the same, same time to kill.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

I agree with that logic. It shouldn't be in there either. Not that I am going to complain. Just annoying to me. If I wanna play slayer...ill go to that play list. Same with Breakout...

Trup1aya

I had no idea that the Wraith was so good in Warzone, even took out a Scorpion with it and they're supposed to beat everything.

I'm absolutely terrible with the Wraith. But one thing I love about Warzone is that I have an opportunity to practice with the vehicles in live setting, without having to worry about some asshole betraying me because he wanted the tank for himself.

I see videos of players owning using Halo's vehicles, but in all my years I never had a chance to git Gud with them. I mostly relied on my infantry skills.

Now I can just spawn what I want, and have at it.

That's said, all of the non weaponized UNSC vehicles are absolutely useless... The ONI Scout warthog might be the exception, because it's a good distraction and splatter-mobile. But why even bother with the others?

Montresor

Screenshots from my play session last night are below. This game is beautiful, and the screenshots along with my experience with the game in motion last night just make me think the whole "Price of 60fps" thing is overblown. To be fair I do concede that it is undeniably apparent that specific enemy animations are 30fps from afar, but the gunplay and graphics overall are fluid and beautiful.

As a side note: Thank the god above for Sony, because I think without them there would not be screenshots on XB1. They have been a godsend. Competition in general is a good thing. I'm obsessed with collecting screenshots for my favourite games these days (Life Is Strange, Tomb Raider among them).

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshots from my play session last night are below. This game is beautiful, and the screenshots along with my experience with the game in motion last night just make me think the whole "Price of 60fps" thing is overblown. To be fair I do concede that it is undeniably apparent that specific enemy animations are 30fps from afar, but the gunplay and graphics overall are fluid and beautiful.

As a side note: Thank the god above for Sony, because I think without them there would not be screenshots on XB1. They have been a godsend. Competition in general is a good thing. I'm obsessed with collecting screenshots for my favourite games these days (Life Is Strange, Tomb Raider among them).

Now I need to play through it again. Lol. Btb this week right?

Madness

You might as well just remove all ranks from the game. Keep it internal mmr or whatever, but last two of my team Arena placement matches we went a man down. And try our best, just couldn't keep up especially with the ridiculous nade spam in this game, which matters so much in strongholds. Just sucks. I'll probably stop playing this game altogether. I've beaten the campaign, the limited warzone maps are just boring, and the arena maps, I played a lot during the beta, making so many remixes means what? Because you added a catwalk, changed the color aesthetic, added a few different sight lines, it's a different map? Even worse is that the upcoming dlc is just remixes of rig and fathom.

Montresor

The best moment of the campaign so far has been early on in mission 3, once it becomes clear that Fireteam Osiris has to chase after Blue Team.

Buck: "How do you expect we bring them in? Ask politely?"

Buck is just awesome. Love Osiris so far.

BraXzy

Bonus fact: the guy who made the H5 and H4 vidocs also edited the great H2 behind -the-scenes video and did the H3 "Et tu Brute" Vidoc.

The fake script was a Frank idea I think. He knows you folks pretty well ;)

Have a few questions for you out of interest if you're able to answer.

How did you get into doing The Sprints? Have you done stuff like this before?

How long did you spend at 343? I assume you went for short visits every few months?

Any cool things that happened while you were there? Favourite bit to film?

How much do you end up filming to work with while you edit? Would happily watch dozens of these :)

And again, fantastic job! Looked forward to all of these episodes.

The Maw is by far the best final mission, I thought Halo 2 and Halo 3 were letdowns. I liked the Halo 5 ending from a story perspective, the "fight a bunch of knights in an arena" final encounter was just as disappointing as the Halo 2 one though. Would have been much cooler to have an expanded version of the section where
you run down a freaking guardian.

I am sorry. But I can't really put generic arena filled with Prometheans in the same category as 'Tartarus, the prophets have betrayed us..' which then triggers Tartarus who then proceeds to pimp slap Elites across the map with his Fist of Rukt.

Still, seeing the Halo emerge at the end of 'The Covenant' and then finally activating it at the end while subsequently trying to get off the ring in a Warthog was on par with CE's Warthog run for me.

It's like.. Halo 3 had the Scarab fights which still haven't been topped in my opinion. I played through Halo 3 like 2 months ago and I rode out with the marines on the various Mongoose and I saw one getting stomped by the Scarab and I just laughed my ass off. There's all kinds of shit going on, and this only increased in the later encounters on the Ark and during The Covenant.

Compare it to the hyped up Kraken encounter, I was just disappointed. It doesn't do anything really. It just sits there and has a bunch of turrets that shoot at you, drop down, shoot the core and exit. I met like one elite on the way to the core. I kinda expected a Scarab fight x10. Eh.

So stoked to play on that Headlong remake. Ahhhhh.

Halo 5 is an obnoxiously gorgeous game.

You did a great job - the Sprint has been fantastic!

I was very happy to see that the LE soundtrack is going to have some episodes of the Sprint on Blu-ray. I take it those episodes will be season 3? I only recently finished season 2 now that I'm not on a media blackout for the game and would rather hold off on the 3rd season to wait for that Blu-ray for the better quality video.

very excited for BTB, wish there were a few general UI updates that were coming with it. hopefully they arent delayed until next months update

jem0208

Halo 3's scarab fights are massively overrated. Once you get over the initial wow factor they're really quite boring and repetitive.

They essentially boil down to slightly different variations of jump on and shoot a core. The fact that you have to go through four of them in H3 is just annoying. Kinda like it's annoying to have a bunch of repeated Warden fights.

Welfare

Halo 3's scarab fights are massively overrated. Once you get over the initial wow factor they're really quite boring and repetitive.

They essentially boil down to slightly different variations of jump on and shoot a core. The fact that you have to go through four of them in H3 is just annoying. Kinda like it's annoying to have a bunch of repeated Warden fights.

Warden appeared a bit too much though. You fight him like 8 times just going off the top of my head.

Scarabs were also supplemented with vehicles. Warden you only fight once with one Scorpion, and that's only if it survived up to that point.

Shotguns are worth their weight in gold in Warzone assault for defenders. Spray and pray doesn't have anything against the 1SK at chokepoints.

Other than that, I'd agree that they're probably the least useful REQ items. At least swords grant faster movement speed.

Last night I was behind someone in arena and had the shotgun, I ran up to him as he was running away, hard aimed and shot him in the back for a whopping little to no damage, I would have done tons better standing still spraying the AR at him.

With how the shotgun feels right now it needs a small bump up in shot speed, weapons kill so fast in halo 5 that if you miss that first shotgun blast you are in trouble.

*edit* not to say that I want easy shotgun kills there should always be risk v reward, but the AR is a better pickup then the shotgun as is.

Last mission was great on Legendary, since it's a big open space and you can engage in a huge number of ways. Mantis is basically a deathtrap too.

BTW, love The Sprints Klimt. Great work, dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom