• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm getting at is that the lack of balance made halo4 not fun for me. win/lose or draw, I found it totally unrewarding. It was just frustrating.

I don't understand how developing a competitive play in mind instantly makes a game 'un-fun'. Sounds like it has some sort of placebo effect on you. If 343 never mentioned that pro's helped balance the game, would you still have so much trouble enjoying its merits?

I have no aspirations of being considered 'good' at this game, but the core gameplay is the most fun I've had with the series since H2.

Different strokes for different folks ofcourse, but it sucks that you can't find enjoyment here.
Well said, especially the bolded. I said this a while ago, but I don't think it's a good idea to paint Halo 5 as having too much of a "competitive focus" because that could negatively impact the design of future Halo titles (ie: Halo 6). It's not that the gameplay is too competitive, it's that the surrounding content wasn't "social" enough to not have people on edge for most of the playlists, due to ranks.

Halo 5 has excellent gameplay that I don't want to see changed too drastically because of this "too competitive" narrative that's formed within some parts of the community.

SRTtoZ

This is OT but I need to ask for those who have MCC.

When the game starts up during the "Microsoft Game Studios" screen does it lag for 1-2 seconds for everyone? Or is my install corrupt? Its annoying my OCD.

Doesn't seem to be the case, though. I have them all on my 360. I get prompted to download in backwards compatibility. Those dlc' don't exist on the xbone, so there is nothing to download.

I downloaded them.

Go to reach, press select or whatever its called, manage game, then wait for the DLC to appear and then install all.

Tried the above?

jem0208

This is OT but I need to ask for those who have MCC.

When the game starts up during the "Microsoft Game Studios" screen does it lag for 1-2 seconds for everyone? Or is my install corrupt? Its annoying my OCD.
It always lagged for me on the 343 logo.

Caja 117

Well said, especially the bolded. I said this a while ago, but I don't think it's a good idea to paint Halo 5 as having too much of a "competitive focus" because that could negatively impact the design of future Halo titles (ie: Halo 6). It's not that the gameplay is too competitive, it's that the surrounding content wasn't "social" enough to not have people on edge for most of the playlists, due to ranks.

Halo 5 has excellent gameplay that I don't want to see changed too drastically because of this "too competitive" narrative that's formed within some parts of the community.

Precisely this, it makes me nervous that the negative feedback from the comunity on pro player focused tests might forced 343 to alter what we have in Halo 5 today, As someone that loved Halo 2 and Halo 3, I fear to go from the quality of mechanics we have now, and get drastic changes as we saw from H3 to Reach.

AlStrong

There's certainly something more gritty and 'real' than Halo 5. Not sure what it is, 5 is slightly fuzzy in game and look more toy-ish?
The textures feel like they're too smooth & shiny - zero weathering/paint scratches on edges.

Also in the absence of a direct light, the surfaces kinda just look flat across the entire Spartan.

E92 M3

What I'm getting at is that the lack of balance made halo4 not fun for me. win/lose or draw, I found it totally unrewarding. It was just frustrating.

I don't understand how developing a competitive play in mind instantly makes a game 'un-fun'. Sounds like it has some sort of placebo effect on you. If 343 never mentioned that pro's helped balance the game, would you still have so much trouble enjoying its merits?

I have no aspirations of being considered 'good' at this game, but the core gameplay is the most fun I've had with the series since H2.

Different strokes for different folks ofcourse, but it sucks that you can't find enjoyment here.

I agree about the different strokes; I'm definitely trying to have fun.

Great comparison actually, because if it were up to Bungie/Sakurai these games would not have competitive scenes.

If this is really Sakurai's last Smash, then I hope we can get a "343" for the Smash franchise, otherwise we may not see anything new for quite some time.

Yeah, I certainly can't wait for Halo 6. I know they'll mix both elements together.

A) taking the balance out if Halo it what took to fun out of it.

B) no offense, but you hate the game because you think is leaning towards one side of the comunnity, but you are ok when it is in the total opposite direction? How about a game that caters correctly both comunity? And Halo 5 with its gameplay does exactly that, please get any other Halo and see which one is easier to get a kill with any other non power weapon, in no other Halo, except maybe Halo CE, could someone with an AR get kills Close quarter against someone good with the br or dmr, the game have blanced out the sandbox so the people that were not having fun and forced into one weapon in the sandbox can now feel good shooting with other weapons

But the problem is that everything has been about the skill gap to make the game more accesible to the masses, but the thing is Reach reduced the skill gap by Introducing gimmicks into the gameplay instead on working on the weapon sandbox.

All of this was done because The "concern" before reach is the same one you are complaining about : the game is too pro and the casuals want the game to be more accessible, so bungie with all their wisdom made the number one go to weapon into a random mess, reduced the lateral movement speed, jump height, augmented nade splash damage, changed flag juggling mechanic, took away bleedtrough and introduced permanent utilities, the consequence of this ended up in increasing kill times, promoting camping and making the general game feel slower than previous Halos, hardcore gamers didn't like it because they could not relly consistently on their weapons to get kills, and casuals hated even more because of the slow pace, making them just go play games with higher paced gameplay and quick kill times like CoD.

And, the game is only as serious as the one playing it take it, Halo 3 social slayer could be one of the less serious playlist ever, and yet some player would take it very serious, or the other way around, some MLG players didnt play the MLG playlist as seriously as they could play.

I appreciate the write up. All I want is a game that feels welcoming to both communities. I know H5 has a very balanced sandbox, but it feels forced. Like they want casuals to enjoy the game, but it's really not meant for them. The essence of H5 screams esports. I'll stop my bitching, but everything is coming from the love for halo.

Theorry

Shame Halo doesnt have a site like BF4stats etc.
Really curious what the peak of online players is every 24hours. What do you guys think?

BraXzy

The textures feel like they're too smooth & shiny - zero weathering/paint scratches on edges.

Also in the absence of a direct light, the surfaces kinda just look flat across the entire Spartan.

I think it's a mixture of smooth shinyness, the weird texture filtering and the slight blur due to dynamic resolution. I'll gladly take it for the smooth 60fps though.

so reach is hot garbage, heart destroyed.

Good news I should hit 120 tonight.

Shame Halo doesnt have a site like BF4stats etc.
Really curious what the peak of online players is every 24hours. What do you guys think?

H5 is usually a spot behind/infront on battlefront, so you can use swbstats.com and estimate

I appreciate the write up. All I want is a game that feels welcoming to both communities. I know H5 has a very balanced sandbox, but it feels forced. Like they want casuals to enjoy the game, but it's really not meant for them. The essence of H5 screams esports. I'll stop my bitching, but everything is coming from the love for halo.

To me a good game is fun and competitive if it isn't either of those it isn't good. Take SW:BF as an example, it's a fun game but it offers very little in terms of competitiveness and as a result got boring very quickly.

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you want? The gAme is welcoming to casuals is it not? Thats what the ranking system is for...

E92 M3

To me a good game is fun and competitive if it isn't either of those it isn't good. Take SW:BF as an example, it's a fun game but it offers very little in terms of competitiveness and as a result got boring very quickly.

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you want? The gAme is welcoming to casuals is it not? Thats what the ranking system is for...

I just want the spirit of Halo to feel like the old days. Always loved playing competitively.

Madness

This is probably the first Halo where I haven't really enjoyed SWAT. I don't know, I just think the maps, coupled with the spawns are just bad.

Also, so much for JiP, we lost two guys at the start, no one was joined in later in one of the worst BTB matches I ever played.

link1201

This is probably the first Halo where I haven't really enjoyed SWAT. I don't know, I just think the maps, coupled with the spawns are just bad.

For me it's having to play Swatnums. I just want to play Swat with a BR. They can have the pistol as secondary if they want.

I just want the spirit of Halo to feel like the old days. Always loved playing competitively.

Actually I know exactly what you mean. Halo is a different thing for a lot of different playerstores and IMO they captured the competitive aspect wonderfully and it definitely feels in spirit.

What I feel is missing is that small scale, but bigger leveled multiplayer stuff, things like 4v4 slayer with vehicles or 1 flag ctf on zanziBar. I guess I've just been enjoying what we have so much that I totally forgot how much I enjoyed that. BTB and Warzone are too big and too hectic.

They've nailed the big stuff with Warzone and focused so much on oerfected the little stuff but sort of forgot about that intermediate estuff in the process.

Yeah. You can only play solo campaign while offline.

You can't even select anything else on the menu.

pnX4mhG.gif

malfcn

I have a killer spree going, have over shield, then hit a guy 5+ times and melee him and he doesn't die but kills me with a couple of hits. Uhuhhh.

Just ran back a flag..Stealth Capture?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is the forge save bug consistent? should i not even bother forging a map till its worked out?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I have a killer spree going, have over shield, then hit a guy 5+ times and melee him and he doesn't die but kills me with a couple of hits. Uhuhhh.

Just ran back a flag..Stealth Capture?

Stealth Capture is when no one from the other team spots you. If they do, the kill emblem pops up on everyone's screen. If you do it sneaky, it never does.

ShutterMunster

Yo, I need a Halo squad. My homies are either playing Fallout or BLOPS3 :(

This Elite controller needs a workout.
ShutterMunster is the GT. If anyone adds me just let me know you're from Gaf.

mo60

Wanted to try out Forge but nope XBL decides to go down. Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday now.

It's been down for a lot of people for like the last 5 hours if I recall. It seems to be working fine for me right now, but a lot of people are still having issues connecting to XBL.

Strider

Ninja finished 3 wins and 7 losses in Holiday doubles and placed Champion 1 with a CSR of ~2000

So yea your pre-season ranks matter way more than your 10 placement matches lol

Madness

Still haven't been able to play Noctus map. Hopefully they realize for their next map release that we've been playing the day one maps for several months now, I'd rather play the new Warzone map 5-6 times in a row before the others.

Map is awful. Nothing but people sprinting and spartan smashing down the hallways.

Nah brah, you're just no pro enough.

Everybody knows legit skilled Halo players want small, tight arena maps, where you can't turn a corner without a freshly spawned player picking you off, or offering up a free kill.

L33t skillz 4 lyfe yo.

Nutter

ITT E92 hates Halo 5 because he sucks at it.

And Antitype hates both open maps and tight maps alike. What DO you like?

If you hate the game THAT much and it does not appeal to you any longer, or if you think MCC was the second coming, then please go to their respective threads and stop shitting up a Halo 5 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom