• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTupolev

There's certainly something more gritty and 'real' than Halo 5. Not sure what it is, 5 is slightly fuzzy in game and look more toy-ish?
The textures feel like they're too smooth & shiny - zero weathering/paint scratches on edges.

Also in the absence of a direct light, the surfaces kinda just look flat across the entire Spartan.
A couple things come to mind that help "ground" Reach:

1. Halo 5's visuals look somewhat less stable, particularly where light and shadow are concerned, and especially due to the dynamic shadow cascading.

2. Halo's 4 and 5 have a serious problem with unsourced rim lighting. My guess would be that 343i got rid of Bungie's environmental area specular but didn't want to compromise on the Fresnel, resulting in objects often looking like their peripheries are covered in some kind of luminescent grime. I personally find it puzzling that they're using such an expressive lighting model in Halo 5 when this effect destroys it so badly.

ITT E92 hates Halo 5 because he sucks at it.

And Antitype hates both open maps and tight maps alike. What DO you like?

If you hate the game THAT much and it does not appeal to you any longer, or if you think MCC was the second coming, then please go to their respective threads and stop shitting up a Halo 5 thread.

I personally do not hate the game but I hate a lot of the maps. I like coliseum and truth. I don't think narrow corridors fit this game well with sprint and easy charge attacks. It needs more open arena maps, not everything needs dark corridors. I'd love to see a new version of Beaver Creek for example.

E92 M3

ITT E92 hates Halo 5 because he sucks at it.

And Antitype hates both open maps and tight maps alike. What DO you like?

If you hate the game THAT much and it does not appeal to you any longer, or if you think MCC was the second coming, then please go to their respective threads and stop shitting up a Halo 5 thread.

Lol in this thread Nutter makes baseless assumptions. I can post my opinions if I want. And I like parts of Halo 5.

Nutter

I personally do not hate the game but I hate a lot of the maps. I like coliseum and truth. I don't think narrow corridors fit this game well with sprint and easy charge attacks. It needs more open arena maps, not everything needs dark corridors. I'd love to see a new version of Beaver Creek for example.

More [good] maps are always needed.

As much as we have 'played' the shit out of Sanctuary and Lockout, we need those maps in rotation because they represent good maps. There is a reason why Nuketown keeps getting remade for COD.

Thankfully they can be remade in Forge. So hopefully someone does.

E92 M3

More [good] maps are always needed.

As much as we have 'played' the shit out of Sanctuary and Lockout, we need those maps in rotation because they represent good maps. There is a reason why Nuketown keeps getting remade for COD.

Thankfully they can be remade in Forge. So hopefully someone does.

They need proper remakes, not forge. Though, headlong brought tons of nostalgia.

REQ server acting wonky today. And I dominated Breakout and it put me in Silver. Those poor players I'm destroying in Silver matches. God have mercy on their non power weapon controlling souls.

Madness

I would honestly prefer to play Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4 and even H2A Forge over Halo 5 Forge maps. Just so poor looking to me. Especially when I see Guillotine.

mo60

Still haven't been able to play Noctus map. Hopefully they realize for their next map release that we've been playing the day one maps for several months now, I'd rather play the new Warzone map 5-6 times in a row before the others.

The game kept on forcing me to play the other warzone maps yersterday until I got the noctus map like after playing the other warzone maps like crazy.

Madness

The game kept on forcing me to play the other warzone maps yersterday until I got the noctus map like after playing the other warzone maps like crazy.

BTB I at least got Entombed and Antifreeze a few times already. Maybe I'll get Noctus when I start up again. Just saying, should heavily weight the new maps for at least the first week.

Nutter

Is it just me or is the walking speed on Overgrowth way faster than normal?

I can't be the only one noticing this

Walled map, it makes you feel faster.

I played Reach today, and yikes, it is very unplayable with sub 20 fps and the motion blur Bungie used is not very good.

Madness

I don't get how the SPNKr can come back as a Warzone REQ, be put into a BTB Forge map, but we can't do the same for the other REQ's and vehicles? Or is that possible now? I'd love to see some of the crazier REQ's for the heavies variants, maybe create a custom variant where everyone starts with classic BR or later when the CE pistol comes back etc.

Also, I love that the SPNKr is back. Used it few times on Entombed already. Should've been there from the start. It's nostalgic and iconic look is instantly noticeable, it's outline, on the field, in the killfeed etc.

Welfare

I don't get how the SPNKr can come back as a Warzone REQ, be put into a BTB Forge map, but we can't do the same for the other REQ's and vehicles? Or is that possible now? I'd love to see some of the crazier REQ's for the heavies variants, maybe create a custom variant where everyone starts with classic BR or later when the CE pistol comes back etc.

Also, I love that the SPNKr is back. Used it few times on Entombed already. Should've been there from the start. It's nostalgic and iconic look is instantly noticeable, it's outline, on the field, in the killfeed etc.

SPNKR is a new weapon, and not a variant of a weapon. Variants are not in Forge.

Kibbles

Walled map, it makes you feel faster.

I played Reach today, and yikes, it is very unplayable with sub 20 fps and the motion blur Bungie used is not very good.

Yeah, this is why I'd rather see a port added to MCC or something at some point because I literally can not go back, it feels completely unplayable. :S

Madness

SPNKR is a new weapon, and not a variant of a weapon. Variants are not in Forge.

But is there a reason for this? Technical reason? I mean if Prophet's Bane existed in beta on Arena maps, surely now that it's a mythic warzone REQ it should still be there? All the legendary weapons exist in campaign, they exist in warzone, why not arena/custom as well, no?

Imagine how insane you could make some gametypes if you had Legendary Snipers and everyone got Nornfang. Or Infection/Flood, and everyone has prophet's bane and oathsworn.

CeeSaw

Looks like no Halo for me tonight. Still cannot connect to Live for some reason even though I see my buddies all online.
giphy.gif

Madness

Looks like no Halo for me tonight. Still cannot connect to Live for some reason even though I see my buddies all online.

Just keep trying to play Halo. I had to keep joining and eventually when I got to menu, it stopped booting me and I could join games. But it probably booted me like 10-15 times before it stopped.

CeeSaw

Just keep trying to play Halo. I had to keep joining and eventually when I got to menu, it stopped booting me and I could join games. But it probably booted me like 10-15 times before it stopped.

Digital copy so I can't start the game unless its connected to Live. I am seeing my friends through the Xbox app on windows 10. My Xbox gets connection the second it boots up but then loses it before I can even start a game/app.

Welfare

But is there a reason for this? Technical reason? I mean if Prophet's Bane existed in beta on Arena maps, surely now that it's a mythic warzone REQ it should still be there? All the legendary weapons exist in campaign, they exist in warzone, why not arena/custom as well, no?

Imagine how insane you could make some gametypes if you had Legendary Snipers and everyone got Nornfang. Or Infection/Flood, and everyone has prophet's bane and oathsworn.

I think it is entirely because of the REQ system. Why give us the option to use these cool weapons whenever we want in customs when we could grind/buy packs in order to possibly get them or not and funnel them into 2 game types that are online only?

Does this indicate that the M6D will be in Forge too!?
As long as they don't classify it as a "Halo 5 magnum" variant, I don't see why not.

Ramirez

I would honestly prefer to play Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4 and even H2A Forge over Halo 5 Forge maps. Just so poor looking to me. Especially when I see Guillotine.

cmon son

H5 Forge looks poor, but you'd rather go back to sub 720p, sub 30 horse shit?

malfcn

Disgusted, but will get to climb. I get out in silver for putting the team on my back with bad kids. I'm no champ, but surely no silver.

Unstable

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but I feel Forge's controls are counter intuitive and clumsy. Why isn't A/B select and deselect? It seems like that change was for no reason. A big part of why Forge was so popular was because it was easy to use and powerful as well. I feel like they lost the ease of use part of that equation.

JackHerer

What happened to the happy we got an update train?

I'm still happy. The aiming update has washed away all my Halo 5 angst. Sure other aspects of the update or lack thereof aren't perfect but because I can actually feel good aiming my gun now I'm having more fun than ever with the game.

Perrrrfect. So goooood.

Hatchtag

Banned
With H2A available on the bone, I don't think they will remake Sanctuary and Lockout again.

I kinda wonder how difficult it would be to port the H2A maps to Halo 5. Like, obviously it wouldn't be too easy, but probably easier than making all new art assets from scratch.

JackHerer

Am I really the only one still blown away by how much better the game feels with 0% inner deadzone and 2 acceleration?

343 earns a gold star.

Edit: Or whatever your preferred acceleration is, the zero deadzone is the bigger factor for me I think. I can see some people sticking with 3 acceleration if they're used to it but definitely change the deadzone to as low as your controller can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom