• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

There's a free for all playlist.

Sorry meant to say a playlist for no parties.

OH MY GOD

GHALEON PLEASE

It's fun blowing stuff up and going on crazy kill streaks. Halo doesn't always have to be super serious.

The Mantis destroyed map movement on Ragnarok it was awful.

A good player could have disabled it and it was fun to control.

Halo4 was no fun for me. The utter lack of balance killed it almost immediately for me. There's something about winning/losing an encounter and knowing it was 100% related to how you approached the situation, and not because someone randomly called in a SAW.

Didn't really care about balance when it was just fun to play. Halo 4 was a fun shooter. Not the best Halo game, but a fun shooter nonetheless.

Just because it isn't called Lone Wolves doesn't mean there's no FFA.

Elaborated on this earlier, my bad.

Nah, Reach was Bungies climax into trying to reduce the skill gap. There is a very distintive pattern in Halo since Halo CE, and Halo Reach continues this pattern.

I know it might make 343 salty, but yeah that BTB on valhala was just bad.

Reach was an interesting game and had fun elements. Not everything has to be about some mysterious "skill gap". As I always say, good players will be good no matter what.

But CoD isn't really an eSports powerhouse. It's a shooter powerhouse, much like Destiny. But this is why Activision is creating the Call of Duty World League for 2016, and also going to be catering to and going after the pro scene. So you're essentially disliking 343 for being one of the first to do it on consoles but their competitors doing it as well.

343 got out of the gate first with HCS, their own league tournaments, in partnership with ESL. If MCC didn't fail, you'd have seen greater fruition of that first 2 seasons of H2A play.

Additionally, remember multiplatforms have no loyalty to a console brand even with exclusivity. For Microsoft and 343, being the top eSports shooter on their console matters, it's only a matter of time before Halo returns to PC as well.

I definitely get what you're saying though, and that's why, they're giving Warzone maps, and looking at bringing more social playlists. I think with more maps and gametypes, now that forge is live, and the game largely works, we'll see the community start to return. You said it though, Call of Duty is a powerhouse, why would any Call of Duty fan leave Black Ops 3 to play Halo 5 that would try to be a CoD clone. Halo 5 is its own thing now. Halo's struggles with the larger community can be attributed most to what happened to MCC and the launch of Xbox One, giving up tons of ground to PS4, losing a lot of shooter fans. Halo Reach and Halo 4 also turned off the competitive and hardcore crowd.

I was suprised myself to see that CoD was very popular for esports as well. Tons of sponsors and money in a cod tournament. A random Black Ops 3 tourney had 30k people watching and it wasn't even anything significant.

Maybe I'm just bitter that Halo 5 is all about super-serious "competitive play." And Warzone is very much a bore fest for me. I enjoy BTB, but the maps are butt ugly. Thus my salt levels are over the roof for a game I'm really trying to love desperately.

Don't get me wrong Halo 5 has a lot of cool elements like sound design and weapons.

Madness

I get into the game, and the menus but it keeps dropping me even if I get back in. Even if I'm looking at REQ's or the friends list.

Yep the Xbox Live core services are failing :/
cT1dZIx.png

Madness

I was suprised myself to see that CoD was very popular for esports as well. Tons of sponsors and money in a cod tournament. A random Black Ops 3 tourney had 30k people watching and it wasn't even anything significant.

Maybe I'm just bitter that Halo 5 is all about super-serious "competitive play." And Warzone is very much a bore fest for me. I enjoy BTB, but the maps are butt ugly. Thus my salt levels are over the roof for a game I'm really trying to love desperately.

Don't get me wrong Halo 5 has a lot of cool elements like sound design and weapons.

I agree on the fact that Warzone is definitely lackluster. Should have shipped with 5-6 maps and more modes beyond an Assault that is easily exploited. I think no BTB was a giant mistake too, because it always challenged Team Slayer as the top playlist too. I think hopefully developer created maps will come that will offset some of these Forge maps.

As for CoD, it's now a PS marketing and brand exclusive (which Activision will regret), especially because of how much MS donated to the world championship, how much they supported the game even over MCC last year by giving Advanced Warfare the larger hdd, exclusive controller and console design. Activision knows they won't get as much support from Sony which is why they're creating the call of duty world league for next year. Will be interesting to see how HCS/Halo 5 of 8 months from now, stacks up to next year's CoD and the plans they have.

I didn't think it was possible, but H5 somehow has worse spawns than Destiny. Give whoever did that shit a promotion, because that's an accomplishment right there.

Like, the spawns are horrific. Worse than Reach, I can't imagine how easy it would be to abuse them if you learned the system.

I agree on the fact that Warzone is definitely lackluster. Should have shipped with 5-6 maps and more modes beyond an Assault that is easily exploited. I think no BTB was a giant mistake too, because it always challenged Team Slayer as the top playlist too. I think hopefully developer created maps will come that will offset some of these Forge maps.

As for CoD, it's now a PS marketing and brand exclusive (which Activision will regret), especially because of how much MS donated to the world championship, how much they supported the game even over MCC last year by giving Advanced Warfare the larger hdd, exclusive controller and console design. Activision knows they won't get as much support from Sony which is why they're creating the call of duty world league for next year. Will be interesting to see how HCS/Halo 5 of 8 months from now, stacks up to next year's CoD and the plans they have.
Next year's CoD is by IW which don't know how to make games any more.

Trup1aya

Didn't really care about balance when it was just fun to play. Halo 4 was a fun shooter. Not the best Halo game, but a fun shooter nonetheless.

What I'm getting at is that the lack of balance made halo4 not fun for me. win/lose or draw, I found it totally unrewarding. It was just frustrating.

I don't understand how developing a competitive play in mind instantly makes a game 'un-fun'. Sounds like it has some sort of placebo effect on you. If 343 never mentioned that pro's helped balance the game, would you still have so much trouble enjoying its merits?

I have no aspirations of being considered 'good' at this game, but the core gameplay is the most fun I've had with the series since H2.

Different strokes for different folks ofcourse, but it sucks that you can't find enjoyment here.

Now that reach is backwards compatible, is there any way to get the dlc? Just curious, because there is no way I'm re-buying them if that's the only way.

That's the thing, Bungie made the games they wanted and they were also competitive. I always compare it to Smash. Sakurai hates the competitive scene, but since Smash plays so well, it has one. Personally, I think Halo 5 feels completely different from any other Halo game. It's just a good shooter, but the magic isn't present. And trust me, I am trying my hardest to love the game.
Great comparison actually, because if it were up to Bungie/Sakurai these games would not have competitive scenes.

If this is really Sakurai's last Smash, then I hope we can get a "343" for the Smash franchise, otherwise we may not see anything new for quite some time.

Trup1aya

wtf I didn't see that yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to login due to Xbox Live being finicky, either. Or on the Halowaypoint website.

WHO is gonna pay $100 for it?

There are people in this very thread who have already spent several hundred on req packs... I think they would have appreciated the ability to buy these things in bulk, instead of 1by1

Caja 117

A) taking the balance out if Halo it what took to fun out of it.

B) no offense, but you hate the game because you think is leaning towards one side of the comunnity, but you are ok when it is in the total opposite direction? How about a game that caters correctly both comunity? And Halo 5 with its gameplay does exactly that, please get any other Halo and see which one is easier to get a kill with any other non power weapon, in no other Halo, except maybe Halo CE, could someone with an AR get kills Close quarter against someone good with the br or dmr, the game have blanced out the sandbox so the people that were not having fun and forced into one weapon in the sandbox can now feel good shooting with other weapons

Reach was an interesting game and had fun elements. Not everything has to be about some mysterious "skill gap". As I always say, good players will be good no matter what.

But the problem is that everything has been about the skill gap to make the game more accesible to the masses, but the thing is Reach reduced the skill gap by Introducing gimmicks into the gameplay instead on working on the weapon sandbox.

All of this was done because The "concern" before reach is the same one you are complaining about : the game is too pro and the casuals want the game to be more accessible, so bungie with all their wisdom made the number one go to weapon into a random mess, reduced the lateral movement speed, jump height, augmented nade splash damage, changed flag juggling mechanic, took away bleedtrough and introduced permanent utilities, the consequence of this ended up in increasing kill times, promoting camping and making the general game feel slower than previous Halos, hardcore gamers didn't like it because they could not relly consistently on their weapons to get kills, and casuals hated even more because of the slow pace, making them just go play games with higher paced gameplay and quick kill times like CoD.

And, the game is only as serious as the one playing it take it, Halo 3 social slayer could be one of the less serious playlist ever, and yet some player would take it very serious, or the other way around, some MLG players didnt play the MLG playlist as seriously as they could play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom