• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

It's a tricky one. It isn't very fun to watch people that are bad at the game play. Most Twitch celebs play Minecraft/CS GO and Fallout.

It'd be cool if they somehow tied in Req point gain to twitch viewing. But that's probably just make people idle in a dozen Halo streams.

I've been watching a fair bit of Halo streams but idk. More often than not I'd rather play it than watch it as opposed to other games where I'm fine watching. Maybe it is the lack of interesting streamers. Maybe the game is just too much fun to play, I'm genuinely not sure.

343 can't do anything about that.

Either the pros themselves or people playing the game need to be entertaining enough. Before CSGO got big summit would stream and was basically the only streamer that ever got over 1000. Even pros couldn't get viewers because most of them were boring as hell to watch.

Even now, a lot more pros are streaming but they're boring so a lot of them still don't get much viewership unless they're an elite level player/washed up NiP scrub that lives off fanboys who weren't even around when NiP was actually good. The people that bring in constant viewership are the entertaining ones like summit/shroud, females or gambling.

I get what you're saying, guys. I think the solution is to have Halo be more inclusive to all types of people. Once communities start forming around the game, viewership will rise. That's why I think 343 should start drafting ideas about bringing in all types of people. Forge launching will help a lot for sure, but they need to add a bunch of options to custom games as well.

So it boils down to the servers are working like ass.

I don't know this to be true. I am very far away, but my games are ok sometimes.... I can get perfect kills and get kills more easily. But I do hear a lot of different languages that I have no idea bout.

American or europe my ping is super high. I can't really blame 343 for this. I doubt anyone care's about how the game plays in china for the most part.

Here is the link to the last Sprint Episode
https://www.halowaypoint.com/s/videos/cb8c98fe9ae24878aab9f8dce451d9e8

It will open the Halo Channel if you have it installed on your Windows 10/8.1 System

Don't you dare lie to us!

I don't know this to be true. I am very far away, but my games are ok sometimes.... I can get perfect kills and get kills more easily. But I do hear a lot of different languages that I have no idea bout.

American or europe my ping is super high. I can't really blame 343 for this. I doubt anyone care's about how the game plays in china for the most part.

Hmmm... that may be the issue where the need to do mid-range combat feels obsolete because of the ping issues. idk, maybe share some videos with the thread so they can see what you're going through? I believe china is an important part of gaming, maybe the population on halo 5 isnt high so they pair you with servers far away =/

rrc1594

Lmao what ban?
I say 'bye' cause I hope you then better go play those
shitty mp
games and don't stay in here.

Josh or Bravo just said it is working like it was intended no other explanation.

Your attitude is super corny, first ypu quoting yourself multiple times because you think your problem should be the most discussed one in topic and 2. Once nobody can give you an answer you say you quit the game and wabt to play destiny

Oh an 3. You are a sonic fan.

giphy.gif

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I'm getting tired of randoms leaving the match all because the opposite team has a certain power weapon.. Hell, playing with randoms is getting old... I need to make friends that play halo. :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
EXACTLY. 343 comes off as totally clueless. I'm fine with playing Destiny instead of this steaming pile of a Halo game. I'll also go back to Reach when it's available on X1 next month.

Can't believe you weren't banned for this!

But seriously, it's fine if you don't like it, but is it really a "steaming pile" and are we really "clueless?" Just sets a tone that stifles conversation. And then you're surprised there's no conversation? This isn't just a Halo thing, and yours is actually a very mild example, but it's the sad way many internet conversations go. Extreme hyperbolic subjectivity sometimes presented as fact in the first instance - and then demands that it be addressed. how do we address problems that the majority of users don't agree are problems?

Tech issues for sure. When we identify the source of an issue and have a change slated, we'll announce. When we find a bug, we'll announce. When a feature isn't landing well, we'll adjust. But you're also asking us to "defend" popular choices too and using inflammatory language to set up the "conversation." And in this particular thread, you know I'm here, listening or reading, so these things are actually directed at me personally, as well as broadly...

I get what you're saying, guys. I think the solution is to have Halo be more inclusive to all types of people. Once communities start forming around the game, viewership will rise. That's why I think 343 should start drafting ideas about bringing in all types of people. Forge launching will help a lot for sure, but they need to add a bunch of options to custom games as well.

If they had Devs playing SP and doing dev commentary on the game while they play it that could help. Also Devs and pros playing together.

Computer

Halo 5 needs medium sized 4v4 maps such as Snowbound, High Grounds, Zanzibar. Its cool they are focusing on competitive arena maps but I think they are missing a important aspect of Halo without medium sized 4v4 maps.

But seriously, it's fine if you don't like it, but is it really a "steaming pile" and are we really "clueless?" Just sets a tone that stifles conversation. And then you're surprised there's no conversation? This isn't just a Halo thing, and yours is actually a very mild example, but it's the sad way many internet conversations go. Extreme hyperbolic subjectivity sometimes presented as fact in the first instance - and then demands that it be addressed. how do we address problems that the majority of users don't agree are problems?

Tech issues for sure. When we identify the source of an issue and have a change slated, we'll announce. When we find a bug, we'll announce. When a feature isn't landing well, we'll adjust. But you're also asking us to "defend" popular choices too and using inflammatory language to set up the "conversation." And in this particular thread, you know I'm here, listening or reading, so these things are actually directed at me personally, as well as broadly...

I don't think it's said enough, but thank you for this.

-Enter complaints about Halo 5 design here.-

I understand what you're saying, but you run into the same issue regardless of whether you're talking about Halo 2, 3, 4 or 5. There are routes available to take on nearly any map if you are being shot due to an open sight line. Take you're example of Guardian: if you've got shots on a player at S2 from any location beyond top mid and they move from your sight line to regain shield and you are forced to pursue or change location for a new sight line, then that player has the opportunity to change their position and try and take advantage of your movement. This be and flow hasn't changed with the introduction of abilities in Halo 5 Jack, it would change everything if only one team had the new abilities, but that isn't what we're talking about. Halo 5 has balanced starts and power weapon control is still VERY important. Maybe you just don't like the more focused competitive nature of the Arena or you're not picking up on them faster pace of every aspect of combat, but to call out the base map designs or artistic choices made doesn't seem like legitimate complaints after putting in as much time as I have to every Halo game. Halo 5 is an evolution of the core concepts from past Halo games with an evolved movement set that adds to the game in every way.

I kinda agree with what I believe are some of your points Jack. All of the maps feel quite small and constrained IMO. Which isn't always a bad thing but its lacking some more variety with the bigger maps with longer sightlines of the past games.

But I think that's the design ethos of arena, tight competitive maps. With the Valhalla's and blood gulches left to BTB/Warzone.

The bigger maps in past Halo games were almost always a train wreck in design. Completely open areas in large maps made for 4v4 was a mess in competitive Halo and the lack of that type of map would be a better complaint than trashing Halo 5's design tenants. Snowbound and Standoff were horrid 4v4 maps with huge open sight lines and nowhere to move once a firefight started. Those maps were not the high points of map design in Halo games either. Look to maps like Lockout, Guardian, Battle(Beaver) Creek, Haven, Chill Out, Prisoner, Hang 'em High, Ascension, Collosus, Ivory Tower, Midship, Sancuary...the list could continue on of maps that are more focused in the design of 4v4, non objective gameplay. Maps like Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Valhalla and even the Gulch's are all designed mainly with the focus on objective gameplay with vehicles. That isn't the focus of Halo 5's Arena gameplay, so maybe Jack should wait for BTB and stop picking apart Halo 5's Arena maps for being better than the trash maps he is comparing them to.

Jack. Maybe you just aren't good at this game. Like all of your complaints seem to center around your lack of being able to do well in it.

This is also a thought that crossed my mind. The sight lines haven't impacted my ability to get kills or my teammates in most games. Remember Jack, you're playing 4v4's so it isn't just you against the other team. If someone is posted up somewhere, there are other people playing with you that can help flank or flush that player out...or maybe have a different sight line on him even!

Would love the removal of about one power weapon on average per map. There's just too damn many floating around at once, especially given how small the maps are.

The removal of any number of power weapons or pick ups would be detrimental to the team that didn't grab it though. I would suggest they reduce the timer on some of them though, even if just by 30-60 seconds. The fact that the shotgun spawns every 60 seconds on Empire is crazy to me, I rush shotgun every game, get a kill for basically every shot and when I pick up a new weapon I know that the new shotgun will be spawning almost right away. The "not-power-weapons-that-are-power-weapons" are what need adjusting. I got my first perfection on Empire in doubles because the shotgun spawns so frequently and the other team couldn't counteract it.

Haines

Banned
Got a sealed copy cheap on craigslist so jumping into this tonight. Going straight into online.

I have an elite controller. Where should i start with setting it up. Is one of the presets the way to go?

Anything i need to know jumping in cold and blind

rrc1594

Guy I'm scared I'm 1 game away from my Diamond in Breakout. I been having some very good teammates, but I feel the shitty ones are around the corner

Gwyn

Link please? I don't see anything on Halo Waypoint or on Halo Channel.

I missed this post. Hot diggity damn.

Going picking up the GF. I hope I come back to a glorious Sprint episode and BTB.

LIESS!!!!!!

I CANT HAZ SPRINT EPISODE!?

Not on halowaypoint or halochannel for me

I hate you :(

Don't see anything

Sorry :(
Here is the link https://www.halowaypoint.com/s/videos/cb8c98fe9ae24878aab9f8dce451d9e8
It's working for me on PC Halo channel app

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

low blow, bro

In all fairness, it is a pretty significant character flaw.

I wouldn't let my (hypothetical) daughter date a sonic fan, no sir.

Got a sealed copy cheap on craigslist so jumping into this tonight. Going straight into online.

I have an elite controller. Where should i start with setting it up. Is one of the presets the way to go?

Um... you should be okay with the presets to start with. Tweak to your preference after the fact.

Leyasu

Banned
Yo Frankie I just messaged you with a response to your question of my location. That tuning is almost perfect. Keep it going please. :)

And thanks as well

rrc1594

I suggest playing some Warzone till you get use to controller. You know old habits die hard

EXACTLY. 343 comes off as totally clueless. I'm fine with playing Destiny instead of this steaming pile of a Halo game. I'll also go back to Reach when it's available on X1 next month.

giphy.gif

The game has problems and is lacking content, but the first two sentences are blowing my mind right now, especially on the heels of yesterday's blog post addressing most of them.

Halo 5 needs medium sized 4v4 maps such as Snowbound, High Grounds, Zanzibar. Its cool they are focusing on competitive arena maps but I think they are missing a important aspect of Halo without medium sized 4v4 maps.

The halo 5 sandbox would work well with a few of the H2A maps I think.

Madness

One thing we can all agree on, please up the REQ point reward for Arena matches. I literally played maybe 40+ and barely got enough for a gold pack, whereas if I play a Warzone match I feel as if I can hit a gold pack in 3 matches. Or maybe I'm just tired. I saw a BTB blurb that wouldn't let me search maps for a bit. Does this mean you're rolling it out?

Also, please, for the next campaign, make sure to bring back rally points. I hate having to play through the entire missions and not being able to skip certain cinematic that just say loading just to find some Intel that is near the tail end of missions that I missed.

I think generally games that have a lot of views are either highly skilled to the point you watch someone doing stuff you couldn't do yourself or highly creative

Halo really is neither - no one wants to watch 5 hours or 4v4 gameplay when you can go watch a montage of the best kills in 5 mins. The minute by minute action isn't as skilful as say quake which may be more entertaining to watch a match of. I think something like Starcraft gets a lot of views because most Starcraft players know they would never be able to do what the top teir players do - but in halo most players who are invested enough to watch a stream are probably capable of some nice plays

And as for being creative - halo allows for creativity but watching someone forge probably is very different from watching someone Minecraft

I think minecraft also has the advantage of having a different pace in minecraft the streamer has space and time to also probably interact with the viewers more wheras a halo streamer will be so focused on making call outs they can't be as entertaining

I don't understand the twitch thing much myself - so can't really comment beyond throwing my 2 cents in but I don't think twitch views makes or breaks a game - some games just translate better to be watched and others are better experiences to play yourself

I understand what you're saying, but you run into the same issue regardless of whether you're talking about Halo 2, 3, 4 or 5. There are routes available to take on nearly any map if you are being shot due to an open sight line. Take you're example of Guardian: if you've got shots on a player at S2 from any location beyond top mid and they move from your sight line to regain shield and you are forced to pursue or change location for a new sight line, then that player has the opportunity to change their position and try and take advantage of your movement. This be and flow hasn't changed with the introduction of abilities in Halo 5 Jack, it would change everything if only one team had the new abilities, but that isn't what we're talking about. Halo 5 has balanced starts and power weapon control is still VERY important. Maybe you just don't like the more focused competitive nature of the Arena or you're not picking up on them faster pace of every aspect of combat, but to call out the base map designs or artistic choices made doesn't seem like legitimate complaints after putting in as much time as I have to every Halo game. Halo 5 is an evolution of the core concepts from past Halo games with an evolved movement set that adds to the game in every way.

The bigger maps in past Halo games were almost always a train wreck in design. Completely open areas in large maps made for 4v4 was a mess in competitive Halo and the lack of that type of map would be a better complaint than trashing Halo 5's design tenants. Snowbound and Standoff were horrid 4v4 maps with huge open sight lines and nowhere to move once a firefight started. Those maps were not the high points of map design in Halo games either. Look to maps like Lockout, Guardian, Battle(Beaver) Creek, Haven, Chill Out, Prisoner, Hang 'em High, Ascension, Collosus, Ivory Tower, Midship, Sancuary...the list could continue on of maps that are more focused in the design of 4v4, non objective gameplay. Maps like Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Valhalla and even the Gulch's are all designed mainly with the focus on objective gameplay with vehicles. That isn't the focus of Halo 5's Arena gameplay, so maybe Jack should wait for BTB and stop picking apart Halo 5's Arena maps for being better than the trash maps he is comparing them to.

This is also a thought that crossed my mind. The sight lines haven't impacted my ability to get kills or my teammates in most games. Remember Jack, you're playing 4v4's so it isn't just you against the other team. If someone is posted up somewhere, there are other people playing with you that can help flank or flush that player out...or maybe have a different sight line on him even!

The removal of any number of power weapons or pick ups would be detrimental to the team that didn't grab it though. I would suggest they reduce the timer on some of them though, even if just by 30-60 seconds. The fact that the shotgun spawns every 60 seconds on Empire is crazy to me, I rush shotgun every game, get a kill for basically every shot and when I pick up a new weapon I know that the new shotgun will be spawning almost right away. The "not-power-weapons-that-are-power-weapons" are what need adjusting. I got my first perfection on Empire in doubles because the shotgun spawns so frequently and the other team couldn't counteract it.

I get what your saying, I just want the old halo experience with new halo experience maps I guess. Not saying I'll ever get that, but it's just my hope. Not trying to be a dick to 343 and hope they realize no matter what I say i respect them as people first.

Halo 5 is not a bad game I have said it a lot of times, just feel the sprint is not needed, maps are bad imo but i have admitted they made some decent strides in a few areas.

I am fine with power weapons and wouldn't mind more camo in some instances honestly. I just wish they didn;t have the countdown icon and icons. Also, having different maps and different power weapon spawn points would help.

I'd also be fine if they spawned less frequently. But power weapons are that for a reason - they give An advantage. Sure having less will suck of your team doesn't get he 1 or 2 weapons, but it sucks worse being the team that doesn't get the 3+ power weapons.

It's a minor gripe really. Time limit increase would be a good compromise

Riptwo

I've seen this question asked, but didn't spot the answer (so I apologize if everyone's sick of the question already): If you purchase the Warzone Req Pack bundle, do your two weekly packs stack if you miss a week? Can I horde these packs, or should I be opening them ASAP?

Gwyn

Gwyn
Hello everyone, my name is Gwyn
and I post links to places that don't
actually take you where I say they're
going to take you. Enjoy!
(Today, 11:42 AM)

I feel bad now why you do this to me :(
My bad i guess i thought it will work out for anyone clicking that link :p
i posted above how it works

Sephzilla

I actually agree with this. Those mid-sized maps where you actually had some breathing room always felt like a big staple of Halo to me, Halo 5 really feels like it's missing that.

Kalentan

Trying to watch the Sprint but the app on Windows keeps telling me the content can't be played at this time after watching for a few min or so.

No idea why but this happens for most things I try to watch in the app. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom