• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowise10

I know it been talked about a lot, but I re-watched all of the Halo 5 live action trailers and game trailers tonight, and it really started to irk me that they really did lie, or greatttlly exaggerate about what Halo 5 was about. And then the more I thought about it, if they had "truthfully" marketed Halo 5's story to what it was, they wouldn't have anything. Like nothing happens in Halo 5 that is exciting or interesting, besides Chief and Locke getting into a small brawl over a misunderstanding, and the ending with Cortana and the Ring. I guess it sets up for Halo 6 to be interesting possibly, with Cortana being crazy. And then I thought again: Why didn't they just have made the story follow the marketing if that is what hyped people.

Like, its crazy what they did with the marketing and trailers. You got Locke saying that Chief is a traitor with the Infinity burning in the sky and destruction all around, had the entire "TRAITOR" campaign for Chief, A trailer showing that Chief is now officially dead to the general public because they don't want word out he is doing bad things(even though he never did?), a trailer saying that Spartan Locke was the unofficial story to take down Chief. Practically the entire launch trailer saying that Chief went bad and Locke is now hunting him. And for what? Because he didn't return to the Infinity as he wanted to retrieve Cortana himself?

my jimmies are slightly rustled over here.

mo60

Something is up with the rotation in the game. Why is the same map being played 5 times in a row? Why can I not remember the last time I defended the spire?

I played on overgrowth like multiple times in a row in arena slayer earlier

Also, has anyone been getting a weird glitch lately in warzone where you can access your reqs, but they won't spawn when you click on them. I experienced this twice in the last two day in two different warzone matches. In both matches I was forced to use my loadout weapons for the whole match. In both matches I think everyone else in the match had the same problem.

Yeah I had that a few weeks ago, was actually a nice change of pace... I enjoyed it.

As for rotation, I mean you have 4 warzone maps and how manu players? They cant rotate them for everyone, its just random so sometimes you get the same map a few times.

Leyasu

Banned
Any EU/UK players on from around 14h CET today?

BTB, slayer, objective oops arena? Let me know or send me a message Van Winkel x

I only play war zone for the req pack.

Random17

I know it been talked about a lot, but I re-watched all of the Halo 5 live action trailers and game trailers tonight, and it really started to irk me that they really did lie, or greatttlly exaggerate about what Halo 5 was about. And then the more I thought about it, if they had "truthfully" marketed Halo 5's story to what it was, they wouldn't have anything. Like nothing happens in Halo 5 that is exciting or interesting, besides Chief and Locke getting into a small brawl over a misunderstanding, and the ending with Cortana and the Ring. I guess it sets up for Halo 6 to be interesting possibly, with Cortana being crazy. And then I thought again: Why didn't they just have made the story follow the marketing if that is what hyped people.

Like, its crazy what they did with the marketing and trailers. You got Locke saying that Chief is a traitor with the Infinity burning in the sky and destruction all around, had the entire "TRAITOR" campaign for Chief, A trailer showing that Chief is now officially dead to the general public because they don't want word out he is doing bad things(even though he never did?), a trailer saying that Spartan Locke was the unofficial story to take down Chief. Practically the entire launch trailer saying that Chief went bad and Locke is now hunting him. And for what? Because he didn't return to the Infinity as he wanted to retrieve Cortana himself?

It's even worse for some of the hardcore lore fans who've been waiting for this for a long time.

A lot of people don't appreciate the fact that many hardcore lore fans actually quite liked Halo 4, at least far more than NeoGaf did.

The exact opposite happened with Halo 5. Lore fans dislike it more than the average gamer. The future looks pretty bleak* since Halo 5 is only an intermediary.* Ryan from IGN was right; I disagreed with him in the lore thread before release.

I've talked about this on multiple lore related websites/subreddits etc and the consensus is very strong about Halo 5 being a weak entry. (There are still some who like it, as with everything)

Hunt the Truth was incredible; what the hell happened?

*Spoilers for the Mass Effect trilogy and a comparison between Halo 2 and Mass Effect 2:
In terms of plot cohesion, the second installment is always the most important in any trilogy. The quality of the trilogy lives and dies on the second installment, because it so greatly influences the third.

jem0208

The future looks pretty bleak* since Halo 5 is only an intermediary.
I completely disagree with this.

As a standalone story 5 was very meh. But the setup they have for 6 is very exciting IMO. They cut a lot of loose ties with 5 so they can have a far more focused story this time around.

Humanity is on the backfoot again, the Infinity is on the run and it looks like the majority of the human race will be subdued by the AIs. The potential for Cortana to use the Halo rings is also pretty exciting.

I think the long term prospects for the story are more interesting with the direction they decided to take H5 than if they'd gone with the Hunt the Truth aspect.

Glass

Yeah, every time I talk about this I want to make it clear I loved the levels and how they played, the side/talking missions, all awesome. Just the storyline wasn't half as interesting as the advertising. Why did the UNSC declare Master Chief dead exactly? Talk about the biggest over reaction ever, considering everyone understood exactly why Chief refused an order. Halo adverts aren't usually literal depictions, e.g Halo 3 and the diorama brute/grenade, but thats a representation of the fight you find yourself in. It's not an actual plot beat made up making no sense in relation to the game.

Chief and Locke don't have different ideologies, nothing to rival the two points of view live action ad where each is injured on the floor. One disobeyed an order so the other is sent after them, that's it. The character writing in games since 4 has been so bland, no one sticks out.

Random17

I completely disagree with this.

As a standalone story 5 was very meh. But the setup they have for 6 is very exciting IMO. They cut a lot of loose ties with 5 so they can have a far more focused story this time around.

Humanity is on the backfoot again, the Infinity is on the run and it looks like the majority of the human race will be subdued by the AIs. The potential for Cortana to use the Halo rings is also pretty exciting.

I think the long term prospects for the story are more interesting with the direction they decided to take H5 than if they'd gone with the Hunt the Truth aspect.
The problem is that they'll probably have to come up with some contrived way to defeat the AI who have a Halo ring. It won't make sense, or it'll show out of character stupidity on the AI's part. Otherwise the AI have next to no chance of losing, lol. Same problem with Mass Effect where they created an enemy too powerful to destroy conventionally, as I linked in that reddit post of mine.

It's a poor plot point to begin with, that is set up for disaster. I'm excited if only because the ending was a bit interesting, but I don't expect good things to come from this.

Glass

I think the premise for 6 is the best part, it was too convoluted for my liking getting there (not enough information in cutscenes, too much exposition in dialogue as people are playing/shooting) . But 6 should be great. Since we'll actually see Guardians in action, I;m not sure how they work, whether they police planets by the threat of firing Halo ring like destruction? I hope they kill most of the Spartan 4's throughout the campaign, I hope mankind takes a serious beating and are on the run much like Halo 1 era 2552 etc.

jem0208

The problem is that they'll probably have to come up with some contrived way to defeat the AI who have a Halo ring. It won't make sense, or it'll show out of character stupidity on the AI's part. Otherwise the AI have next to no chance of losing, lol. Same problem with Mass Effect where they created an enemy too powerful to destroy conventionally, as I linked in that reddit post of mine.

It's a poor plot point to begin with, that is set up for disaster. I'm excited if only because the ending was a bit interesting, but I don't expect good things to come from this.
I don't think that's true.

Cortana is very closely linked to the Domain now. I think 6 is going to revolve around trying to find out how to destroy the Domain. Destroy the Domain and you kill Cortana.

As for the ring, I wouldn't be surprised if Cortana ignites it and kills a bunch of people. 343 have said they want the story to get a bit dark.

I played on overgrowth like multiple times in a row in arena slayer earlier

Also, has anyone been getting a weird glitch lately in warzone where you can access your reqs, but they won't spawn when you click on them. I experienced this twice in the last two day in two different warzone matches. In both matches I was forced to use my loadout weapons for the whole match. In both matches I think everyone else in the match had the same problem.

yes had this glitch yesterday, was in a warzone assault match.

Strider

Storm Rifle kinda ruins FFA man... Now that more and more people know just how good it is it's either have one at all times or lose any close range fight.

Gun is nuts. The balance in this game is overall really really great. It's the one weapon in the arena sandbox that I think needs touched.

Is anyone else obsessed with the Hydra? I sprint for it right off spawn and it is always there, uncontested. I always see people run past it without a second thought. To me, it's about 6 guaranteed kills: achieve lock, pull trigger twice, get the kill, repeat. I feel like I'm missing something, except I know I'm in the right because of how many kills I get with this thing. It's like my little secret...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Hollyshit I just saw the new bundled packs. I am going to absolutely grind for the last one. 34 + 13 free. Sweet baby jesus.

When was this added?

Trup1aya

Is anyone else obsessed with the Hydra? I sprint for it right off spawn and it is always there, uncontested. I always see people run past it without a second thought. To me, it's about 6 guaranteed kills: achieve lock, pull trigger twice, get the kill, repeat. I feel like I'm missing something, except I know I'm in the right because of how many kills I get with this thing. It's like my little secret...

Even after watching tutorials I can't use it effectively in the heat of battle...

Trup1aya

It is a flanking/ranged poke weapon, anything else shit on it in direct engagements.

Fairly sure I'll stay in Gold 1 since I always play solo without other options.

That's the thing, whenever I'm close enough to use its lock on feature, someone spots me before I can get a lock, and I'm descoped. Then I get rushed and killed...

Fuckkkk, thats shame.

The value added from buying Wouldnt justify the length of time it takes to grind it, IMO.

JackHerer

It's a very situational weapon that's easy to avoid if the opponent knows you have it.

It's good on large maps where there isn't as much cover. I never go out of my way to grab it in arena. It's ok in BTB and Warzone. I feel like it leaves me very exposed when I have it equipped vs a precision weapon. I'm just more confident in my ability to kill someone with BR/pistol if I run into them than I am with a hydra.

The lock on feels kinda finicky too.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That's the thing, whenever I'm close enough to use its lock on feature, someone spots me before I can get a lock, and I'm descoped. Then I get rushed and killed...

The value added from buying Wouldnt justify the length of time it takes to grind it, IMO.

Not really if you think about it. This is how I saw it,

Save 33 x 10k REQ points and get 33 + 13 free gold packs.

So instead of redeeming individually it give you option to redeem in a bunch and you get extra value if you do that.

Leyasu

Banned
I didn't mind 5v5 in halo 4, but for some reason I don't particularly like it in 5. I just can't put my finger on why though. I had two games and went back to slayer.

Gonna join the solo queue moaner group today. I finished every slayer today either top or second, and I lost loads. Disappointing. But I still loved every second of it. I'm addicted to halo5.

The last update has been great for the servers and the aiming. Nice one 343.

Trup1aya

Not really if you think about it. This is how I saw it,

Save 33 x 10k REQ points and get 33 + 13 free gold packs.

So instead of redeeming individually it give you option to redeem in a bunch and you get extra value if you do that.

The values there if that's what you're into, it's just that in the length of time it takes to save 330,000req points, I could have unlocked so many useful things...

Glass

Some online cups happening today right? All going on in Twitch, never followed competitive Halo before, going to be cool watching now that I've been playing so much myself.

Detective

Man..I love how this game plays. The weapons, movements, Everything.

I've spent 7 days in playtime in Warzone. It's awesome.

I just can't get over the lag. It's killing all the fun.

Two scattershot would kill a person right? NO

Two sniper shots in the head would kill a person right? NO

How about the laser? Two shots? Nothing.

One guy who's shield is charging up. A whole DMR clip did nothing on him.

It's really sad and frustrating you know. I game because of Halo. Otherwise I maybe wouldn't. It's killing my joy. But am still playing it because I love Halo.

BraXzy

Does anybody want to play a round of custom Breakout on an early test map I've been making?

It'd be much appreciated!

If you are still after peeps I'm down. More Breakout is always a good thing!

Think I have you added? GT: AnX IReCoiLz

With Forge now released, I think it's time HaloGAF Customs return. Thoughts? Who will be the knight in shining armor?

Would anyone be down for some Customs tonight?

I can't stand Promethean grenades and Fathom seems to have an infinite amount of them, and not only that, but the central mechanic of Fathom is grenade spam on the ramps. It's extremely unfun.

So don't go on the ramps? There are multiple jumps to get to top mid.

I REALLY, REALLY hate Eden. Such a dumb map. A lot of the maps feel like they have clutter everywhere with no sight lines.

Eden is one of the best!

Leyasu

Banned
Man..I love how this game plays. The weapons, movements, Everything.

I've spent 7 days in playtime in Warzone. It's awesome.

I just can't get over the lag. It's killing all the fun.

Two scattershot would kill a person right? NO

Two sniper shots in the head would kill a person right? NO

How about the laser? Two shots? Nothing.

One guy who's shield is charging up. A whole DMR clip did nothing on him.

It's really sad and frustrating you know. I game because of Halo. Otherwise I maybe wouldn't. It's killing my joy. But am still playing it because I love Halo.

Try some slayer to see if you are still getting dumped into US servers.. I'm getting EU servers all the time now.

hydra lock ons are so busted, it locked onto someone as they ran away and then would refuse to lock onto anyone else until I finally died...

BraXzy

So many people in the stream chat wondering why they are landing shots that are no where near :3

It's a shame spectate is so off. Hopefully people realise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom