• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
IEt46WS.gif

Poor Linda, problems with the head again haha it's like The Fall of Reach all over again

Another blowout loss.

50-26 this time.

I'd say the 5th out of 10 matches to be one-sided blowouts.

Fantastic matchmaking 343i. Really. Top-shelf stuff.

Deranked twice from Plat6 to Plat4 as a result of consistent losing. Probably going to derank to Plat3. Still facing Diamonds. Good stuff. Goooooood. Stuuuuuuuffffffff.

giphy.gif

Maybe next time, instead of paying people to code the matchmaking, you could just grab some homeless people off the street and trade them food for work. Sure, not many of them would know how to code, but the end result of them randomly mashing keys couldn't be much worse than what you have, and you'll have helped the less fortunate in the community. Win win.

BradC00

When 343i allow you to hide your stats, quitting will decrease significantly.

I don't agree with this. people quit because they are frustrated, or they perceive they are getting wrecked unfairly. don't you have multiple posts stated you quit because teams were uneven or some crap?

Leyasu

Banned
Another blowout loss.

50-26 this time.

I'd say the 5th out of 10 matches to be one-sided blowouts.

Fantastic matchmaking 343i. Really. Top-shelf stuff.

Deranked twice from Plat6 to Plat4 as a result of consistent losing. Probably going to derank to Plat3. Still facing Diamonds. Good stuff. Goooooood. Stuuuuuuuffffffff.

giphy.gif

Maybe next time, instead of paying people to code the matchmaking, you could just grab some homeless people off the street and trade them food for work. Sure, not many of them would know how to code, but the end result of them randomly mashing keys couldn't be much worse than what you have, and you'll have helped the less fortunate in the community. Win win.

You get one sided matches in all games. I get stomped on matches, I get games where we stomp them and I get some real thrillers. I don't agree with you on this. I personally think that the matchmaking is pretty good..

In games like cod there is nothing. Cod 4, me and my team of 30 somethings used to literally go for weeks without losing. Our win streak record was 247 games iirc. Our motto was "nobody stays for two". We used demolish players. Halo is a bit better, but solo queuing against teams can be rough.

Defect

I hate the doubles in this game but I'm 6 points CSR away from being Champion...

I just want it so it can forever show on Halotracker and be done with it. Lol

Welfare

Lol what is this complete bullshit?

I assassinate the Warden and the enemy still gets the credit?

This system is SO stupid.

You get one sided matches in all games. I get stomped on matches, I get games where we stomp them and I get some real thrillers. I don't agree with you on this. I personally think that the matchmaking is pretty good..

In games like cod there is nothing. Cod 4, me and my team of 30 somethings used to literally go for weeks without losing. Our win streak record was 247 games iirc. Our motto was "nobody stays for two". We used demolish players. Halo is a bit better, but solo queuing against teams can be rough.

True or false, COD has Join-in-Progress and Wins and Losses are immaterial to ranking?

Don't tell me the game can offer shit matchmaking and then punish players for opting not to stick around and get cockslapped as a result. That is such amazing bullshit, it's almost beyond words.

I don't agree with this. people quit because they are frustrated, or they perceive they are getting wrecked unfairly. don't you have multiple posts stated you quit because teams were uneven or some crap?

If my K/D and W/L could be hidden, then why would I care.

It's one terrible match that disappears in the ether, never to be remembered.

Only because of the black mark and the bigger hold it digs in my persistent, public stat card, so I care and decide that it's not worth the pain and lasting damage of carrying out a match with teammates that repeatedly leave their partners to die in 3-on-1s.

You let me hide my stats until I get good enough that they're worth sharing, I doubt I'd quit much at all, to be honest.

*shrugs*

Made the mistake of taking a break from Arena with Warzone.

2nd time in as many days I've had utterly unplayable lag on Noctous. 2nd time in as many days Ive played Noctus at all.

Constant rewinds. Huge grenade and shot delays.

Stuck around as long as I could bear, but when the Banshee boss rewound 20 feet and banshee bombed me after I nailed it 1% health with the Rail Gun, enough was enough.

100/10 connection in Western Canada.

This is nothing short of unacceptable for a product in 2015.

Never in my life, have I seen a developer take such a strong foundation of gameplay and dump so many tons of worthless, incompetent SHIT all over it through all the facets of the player experience. Raw basics, utterly failed.

Nutter

The amount of shit posts regarding developers in this thread is fucking pathetic.

Why is this being allowed every fucking day? If the product in 2015 is so bad that its getting you this frustrated, then quit playing.

Stop pretending that you like the game and giving yourself a pass to shit on the team that made this game.

2nd time in as many days I've had utterly unplayable lag on Noctous. 2nd time in as many days Ive played Noctus at all.

Stuck around as long as I could bear, but when the Banshee boss rewound 20 feet and banshee bombed me after I nailed it 1% health with the Rail Gun, enough was enough.

Never in my life, have I seen a developer take such a strong foundation of gameplay and dump so many tons of worthless, incompetent SHIT all over it through all the facets of the player experience. Raw basics, utterly failed.

you are fundamentally bad at the videogaem

mo60

My connection is significantly slower than a lot of people in this thread and I do deal with lag and other issues occasionally, but at least 90% of the time I get into lagless matches. The game is rarely unplayable for me.I do get really bad lag spikes occasionally but they go away eventually or I come back and play later and the lag disappears when I do this. I also live in Western Canada.

Nowise10

You sound like a person who whenever you get angry at a game, the first thing you do is hop on here and insult the developers/game to make yourself feel better, and then immediately continue playing. Every day when I check out this thread once or twice I see a post(s) from you just spouting shit negativity that doesn't even contribute to anything other then you trying to justify why you're getting mad over the game.

And no, I am not saying you don't have to like everything in Halo 5. The way you go about your "complaints", you just only end up making this place less fun for others.

Leyasu

Banned
I've experienced lag in maybe 1% of my online matches.
Lag or latency?? Not singling you out, but I question if alot people on here know the difference? I myself have hardly had any laggy games, but I have had a shitload of high latency ones.

@ the antitype. Well talking about quitters and shit brings up jip what everyone hates. What the fuck do you want them to do without jip? I honestly think that you are just a troll now.

Also, seeing as you get lots of lag, I'm interested in knowing if you played titanfall and what your pings were/are?

Trup1aya

Fair points, I guess it's different at sub-Plat ranks, where people disregard the meta game, unless they are a part of a group.

That's ok, it's all part of learning. They'll learn the maps, then One day, They'll get tired of being dominated by the green guy, and try to get the green thing for themselves. Then they'll get it and see how important it is to keep the other team from getting it.

Lag or latency?? Not singling you out, but I question if alot people on here know the difference? I myself have hardly had any laggy games, but I have had a shitload of high latency ones.

@ the antitype. Well talking about quitters and shit brings up jip what everyone hates. What the fuck do you want them to do without jip? I honestly think that you are just a troll now.

Also, seeing as you get lots of lag, I'm interested in knowing if you played titanfall and what your pings were/are?

My point was that comparing lop-sided matches in COD and lop-sided matches in Halo 5 is comparing apples to oranges.

COD has JIP, and more importantly, a persistent unlock system that grants players new gear as they level up. As such, a player can go 2-10,001 they're still going to get EXP toward getting new gear just from those two kills. Winning and losing matches has no bearing on the fundamental persistent goals they're chasing.

Halo has no such system. The persistent numerical ranking is meaningless, cause no gear is tied to it. And I wouldn't want you to have to unlock weapons in a Halo game, we tried that in Halo 4 and it was bad.

The only meaningful persistent achievement is your ranking and your stat sheet. Wins and losses impact both, let alone your K/D. If that's the case, and you're going for the pure competitive experience where your ranking and your stats are a) the only persistent elements of your profile and b) decided by wins and losses, then you DAMN SURE better get the match making right. Otherwise you are PUNISHING players for YOUR failure at ensuring an even playing field.

I'm not casting judgement on which is a better system. I think COD's system works for COD, and I prefer a more pure system for Halo 5. But this is the first Halo (outside Halo 4, which I stopped playing after 2 weeks and can't comment on) where I've felt that the matchmaking and ranking system is more actively terrible more often than not.

I'm just reiterating that 'Well I have lopsided matches in these other games with significant progression systems that aren't impacted by wins and losses' is a meaningless argument. Their design doc ensures stringent matchmaking is not as necessary for player satisfaction. We can call it an easy way out, or applaud 343i for trying the tougher route, but at the end of the day, A for Effort isn't what people pay $60 for. Get the damn systems right before you put the game out the door.

As far as TitanFall, yes, usually 30-50 to the Westcoast server. Just checked right now and it was 38ms.

Magwik

Banned
Weird, I thought REQ points to were the proper incentive to do good in matches. Throw in the daily win packs and victory boosts and such, and that's more than enough incentive for a good amount of people im sure.

Leyasu

Banned
No jip will always fuck people. I aint getting into that though.

You have a decent ping in titanfall. When you get laggy games, do get high latency as well? Or more jus packetloss type lag?

Weird, I thought REQ points to were the proper incentive to do good in matches. Throw in the daily win packs and victory boosts and such, and that's more than enough incentive for a good amount of people im sure.

Its doing wonders. You can tell from the lack of quitters. They dont dare miss out on those precious REQ points.

Speaking of which, all the REQs in my collection have been renamed <BADISPPROPS>.

No jip will always fuck people. I aint getting into that though.

You have a decent ping in titanfall. When you get laggy games, do get high latency as well? Or more jus packetloss type lag?

In general there's always been some latency in Halo 5 since launch. Like, enemies would drop fraction of a second after the shot landed. Sometimes it's worse than others, and they'd be like a quarter-step through an animation and just drop.

It's kind of eye-rolling but it's manageable.

The lag I'm talking about on Noctus is overt stuff. Players warping around, the game 'rewinding'. sending be back a few steps every so often (or in the case of man cannons, zipping me back through the arc every few feet). Grenades that take a long while to actually appear in mid air when I throw them, etc.

Trup1aya

The Spartan Rank is essentially CODs leveling system with an RNG twist.

So are you saying that you'd care less about losing if the Spartan Rank system was displayed more prominently (and your competitive skill ranking less prominently) and handed you specific gear instead of RNG req packs?

Also I disagree with the idea that uneven scores is a trailing indicator of bad matchmaking. If you look across any sport, any game ever you'll see countless examples where two evenly matched teams (on paper) have a match that doesn't play out evenly. even though the skill discrepancy is small, it's impossible to predict how players will execute. That's the X factor.

Hell, you can watch HCS where there were a number of sweeps, including a major upsets, Despite the entire feild consisting of the worlds top players.

50-24

LOL, X factor?

Try consistent lop-sided matches. You'll be shocked to hear the other team had two diamonds against our team of platinums.

And no, I don't think there's a good way to fit the kind of persistent progression that COD has to Halo. My point is simply that people saying 'lop-sided matches happen in other games' is a bad point when those other games are trading on persistent upgrade paths that Halo is not. For what Halo 5 is trying to offer, superior matchmaking is required. And thus far 343i has failed - spectacularly - to provide it.

E92 M3

When 343i allow you to hide your stats, quitting will decrease significantly.

The REQ and Experience bonuses are essentially meaningless outside of Arena. There's a decent chance the people quitting in Arena don't even play much Warzone, so what do the REQ points mean to them, let alone the meaningless number that only goes up?

Superior matchmaking and better maps are the two most surefire way to decrease quitting.

They also take the most work, and are the least likely to happen.

I agree, people quit because of the stats. Allowing an option to reset them or hide will do wonders.

Btw, does second place count as a loss in FFA? I really hope not. Normally, top 3 was always a win.

AKA why I quit playing Warzone. 343 needs to figure out a solution to this shit, because the "last hit" thing ain't working out. In a MOBA, the last hit on a boss requires risk-taking and strategic play by exposing yourself to the enemy to score it. In Halo 5, any jackass can spray their SMG and get the kill.

True or false, COD has Join-in-Progress and Wins and Losses are immaterial to ranking?

Black Ops 3's Arena-style mode does not have JIP, and your wins matter. If you quit, you're heavily penalized. They also enforce a "protect/ban" system on loadout items for further balance. It's actually more restrictive in a lot of ways.

Btw, does second place count as a loss in FFA? I really hope not. Normally, top 3 was always a win.

According to my games history, my 24 kills to the enemy's 25 in FFA was a loss. 2nd place, "DEFEAT". It hurts.

tuna_love

Banned
Worse than quitters are the arseholes who stay in a match and just team kill cuz they hate ctf or breakout. How anyone can hate ctf if beyond me

Trup1aya

50-24

LOL, X factor?

Try consistent lop-sided matches. You'll be shocked to hear the other team had two diamonds against our team of platinums.

And no, I don't think there's a good way to fit the kind of persistent progression that COD has to Halo. My point is simply that people saying 'lop-sided matches happen in other games' is a bad point when those other games are trading on persistent upgrade paths that Halo is not. For what Halo 5 is trying to offer, superior matchmaking is required. And thus far 343i has failed - spectacularly - to provide it.

I'm not saying that your match was good, I didn't see it. I'm saying that it often boils down to execution.

How many of those 50 kills came down to a teammate assisting at the last second, or a guy landing a perfect, while his opponent narrowly missed his perfect... The score can be lopsided even if the moment to moment interactions are close.

Like I said, you can look at HCS matches that were contested closely moment to moment, but one team consistently had SLIGHTLY superior execution, and it lead to much higher scores.

I had a match this morning where we lost by 2, where your interpretation of the the ranking system would suggesting we should have been blown out. You can only evaluate skill level. You can't predict how someone will execute from game to game. That's why games are played in the field, not on paper.

Insert constant complaints about Halo 5 here.

Many of your issues with the matchmaking balance would likely find reprieve if you found other similarly skilled players (not based on ranks, but actual skill) and teamed up with them. On the other hand, when you are playing diamond players at mid-high level platinum that is because the MM system believes that you are good enough to diamond, they are bad enough to be platinum or it is a 4 person team that happens to have that level spread. If it is one of the first two then your complaints are silly. If it is the third, then I'd recommend finding some like skilled players to group up with so you're on the other side of this equation.

I would imagine though that your general attitude and foul nature toward the game, constant quitting for things you shouldn't quit over and the like mean you probably don't have many fans when playing.

As for your lag situation, I've got a connection that is literally 1/10 of yours and I don't have any issues whatsoever in upstate NY near the Canadian border. I would look into this being a network issue on your end. Unless you're just complaining to complain because it seems to be what you're so damned good at.

Many of your issues with the matchmaking balance would likely find reprieve if you found other similarly skilled players (not based on ranks, but actual skill) and teamed up with them. On the other hand, when you are playing diamond players at mid-high level platinum that is because the MM system believes that you are good enough to diamond, they are bad enough to be platinum or it is a 4 person team that happens to have that level spread. If it is one of the first two then your complaints are silly. If it is the third, then I'd recommend finding some like skilled players to group up with so you're on the other side of this equation.

I would imagine though that your general attitude and foul nature toward the game, constant quitting for things you shouldn't quit over and the like mean you probably don't have many fans when playing.

As for your lag situation, I've got a connection that is literally 1/10 of yours and I don't have any issues whatsoever in upstate NY near the Canadian border. I would look into this being a network issue on your end. Unless you're just complaining to complain because it seems to be what you're so damned good at.

Yes, it's a network issue on my end that affects exactly one game.

:rolls eyes:

I get that this thread is a 343i hug box, but come on.

Sordid

I would look into this being a network issue on your end.

Not necessarily, there are issues with the game matching some people onto servers in other regions. Whether it's due to low population or it's something on 343s end I'm not sure but it does happen. I've posted clips where I've experienced server delay etc and my connection/router/NAT etc are all fine.

Constantly shitting on 343 and bragging about quitting etc I can't get on board with but I get his server complaints. I've been put on to plenty servers outside of Europe and it really sucks the fun out of the game. Which is a shame 'cos the game is super fun when it all comes together!

E92 M3

AKA why I quit playing Warzone. 343 needs to figure out a solution to this shit, because the "last hit" thing ain't working out. In a MOBA, the last hit on a boss requires risk-taking and strategic play by exposing yourself to the enemy to score it. In Halo 5, any jackass can spray their SMG and get the kill.

Black Ops 3's Arena-style mode does not have JIP, and your wins matter. If you quit, you're heavily penalized. They also enforce a "protect/ban" system on loadout items for further balance. It's actually more restrictive in a lot of ways.

According to my games history, my 24 kills to the enemy's 25 in FFA was a loss. 2nd place, "DEFEAT". It hurts.

Lol that's so dumb. Top 3 was always considered a win. Well, there goes my win percentage. It's really difficult to win every single FFA game.

Yes, it's a network issue on my end that affects exactly one game.

:rolls eyes:

I get that this thread is a 343i hug box, but come on.

You certainly made it sound more like a constant issue, not a single game. There are also known issues with certain networking equipment, particularly the Arris cable modems and higher end Netgear Routers. I'm not defending 343 as much as I'm scratching my head at your general demeanor. I notice you only called out one portion of my post that you have a rebuttal for, what of the rest?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The amount of shit posts regarding developers in this thread is fucking pathetic.

Why is this being allowed every fucking day? If the product in 2015 is so bad that its getting you this frustrated, then quit playing.

Stop pretending that you like the game and giving yourself a pass to shit on the team that made this game.

Armchair development.

"Just make the game better. Tighten up dem graphics. Add 20% more fun".

link1201

I was only able to play a few games last night. I had one of the most intense ctf games that ended 0-0. I don't think I took a breathe during over time lol. Both teams were playing the objective and grabbing the flag every few minutes. BTB in Halo 5 is really fun even with just forge maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom