• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So you don't think the green guy running around is a meaningful target? The moment you pick it up, you are instantly everyone's prime target.

there is no risk to using it, but it's usually placed in an extremely exposed location, making the attempt to pick it up very risky. Often, folks die trying to get it, and they burn it. The power it provides is part of the risk/reward meta game that has been a part of halo since day one.

The idea is that if a team is skillful enough to control the location it spawns in, then they are rewarded by having a player who can draw aggro.

Just because you don't understand the meta, doesn't mean there isn't a point to the powerup. If your response to seeing someone with an overshield is 'nope' then you are doing it wrong.

Also there is no weakness associated with using the camo. At worst you can be seen just like anyone else.

Fair points, I guess it's different at sub-Plat ranks, where people disregard the meta game, unless they are a part of a group.

arimanius

;)

Sens 4
Accell 2
Inner 0 (if u have drift increase by 1 until it stops)
Outer 8

U can thank me later

Screenshot-Original.png

Thanking you later! Having the best games I've had in awhile tonight after trying these.

Edit. Lol got gold 4 as my placement. My highest placement after having platinum placements before reset.

Screenshot-Original.png

Thanking you later! Having the best games I've had in awhile tonight after trying these.

Edit. Lol got gold 4 as my placement. My highest placement after having platinum placements before reset.

Glad it worked for you!
Gimmie ur emblem. Stat. I need to represent team frankie somehow.....

ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

Magwik

Banned
for the record, yes, I did run away from the dude with the overshield, because I'm not an idiot. As a few posts up states, getting the OV is supposed to make you a prime target. Not for my team though. Too busy running for... the boltshot maybe? Who knows.
Maybe you should have stuck around to find out

E92 M3

Since Halo 5 doesn't have a playlist for no parties, I found FFA to be the most fun. In fact, I really dislike the team games compared to FFA. Maybe it's because I'm always playing solo.

Strider

Since Halo 5 doesn't have a playlist for no parties, I found FFA to be the most fun. In fact, I really dislike the team games compared to FFA. Maybe it's because I'm always playing solo.

I want to like FFA because I usually play solo but I just... don't :/ It's better now that it's 6 players but there's still way too much camping and AR/SMG/SR use for my liking... Storm Rifle especially. I'm not a fan of FFA in any shooter though.

When we finally get a social playlist that is just slayer/obj types I'll be set. The frequency of snipers really turns me off Holiday Social and even though breakout was removed from Team Arena I still don't enjoy playing that ranked playlist alone.

Ramirez

What else can I go off of other than my personal experience, Funk. The vast majority of games the thing never gets picked up, and when it does, no one gets kills with it, lol.

What else can I go off of other than my personal experience, Funk. The vast majority of games the thing never gets picked up, and when it does, no one gets kills with it, lol.

Plasma caster????

Its so good and very underestimated o
Imo. I use it every chance and get kills with it.

I'm not being combative, so don't take this response as that lol, but to address that you said this:
I mean...it's useful, but in very distinct circumstances. On the average, you're probably gonna die with it and not get a single kill.
Which is why I responded with this:
Very distinct circumstances? I just explained how one person can relay a lot of information to their teammates, so maybe we're just in disagreement in how valuable that information is. As for your "on the avarage," what is that based on lol?
So to further explain, I took what you said as a generalization as to everyone's experiences with the PC because that's what it seemed like lol, hence the question :b

Also, why are kills the only determining factor for a weapon's viability to you? The Plasma Pistol doesn't see a lot of kills, but you don't see people dismissing or arguing against its strengths. People just aren't using the PC to its full potential on a widescale yet. With a Rocket, you only use it to directly kill people. That's not the case with the PC; it's best role is as a support weapon, and it still has great killing potential.

RSB

Banned
Yeah, it would be nice to have a Mercenary playlist. Mercenary Team Skirmish or something similar would be great IMO.

I'm not being combative, so don't take this response as that lol, but to address that you said this:

Which is why I responded with this:

So to further explain, I took what you said as a generalization as to everyone's experiences with the PC because that's what it seemed like lol, hence the question :b

Also, why are kills the only determining factor for a weapon's viability to you? The Plasma Pistol doesn't see a lot of kills, but you don't see people dismissing or arguing against its strengths. People just aren't using the PC to its full potential on a widescale yet. With a Rocket, you only use it to directly kill people. That's not the case with the PC; it's best role is as a support weapon, and it still has great killing potential.

It'd be nice if there were weapon training modules we could play in Halo 5 to better acclimate to the subtleties of certain power weapons, i.e. the Plasma Caster, the Hydra and the Incineration Cannon.

I mostly bring this up because the average player doesn't seem to even know that these weapons have interesting functionality like charging or lock-on.

TCKaos

I just played some Halo Reach on XBONE, and I don't know if the emulation is subpar or I'm remember things differently, but it plays like poop. Slow, clunky, laggy, ugly and pretty much unbearable after so much Halo 5. It has to be the emulation, right?

Regardless, bloom is still the worst, and Sword Base is everywhere.

From what I understand, one of Reach's huge issues was screen tearing, which was a compromise to maintain the graphical fidelity of the majority of the game. The Xbox One forces v-sync on all titles to eliminate screen tearing, meaning that the biggest compromise that the game had is rendered useless, and the FPS drops in lieu of its absence. Combine 20-ish FPS with heavy motion blur and missing detail textures and, well, you've got Reach on the Xbox One.

I really do love this game, but hell if I can think of another game that frustrates me as much.

On one hand, I guess that's good. It shows I do give a shit about doing well and getting better. Versus 99% of MP games where I could really give two shits about whether I'm good or not.

On the other hand, I've never broken a controller in my life, but I've come pretty close a few times already with this game.

I don't mind dying or losing. I just don't like feeling screwed. Like there was never a chance of any other outcome.

/rant

It'd be nice if there were weapon training modules we could play in Halo 5 to better acclimate to the subtleties of certain power weapons, i.e. the Plasma Caster, the Hydra and the Incineration Cannon.

I mostly bring this up because the average player doesn't seem to even know that these weapons have interesting functionality like charging or lock-on.

Hydra is a fucking beast! Plasma caster no.

arimanius

I really do love this game, but hell if I can think of another game that frustrates me as much.

On one hand, I guess that's good. It shows I do give a shit about doing well and getting better. Versus 99% of MP games where I could really give two shits about whether I'm good or not.

On the other hand, I've never broken a controller in my life, but I've come pretty close a few times already with this game.

I don't mind dying or losing. I just don't like feeling screwed. Like there was never a chance of any other outcome.

/rant

I get that with other games. I can only play BLOPs, Battlefront, and Destiny(crucible) for short bursts. I'm enjoying Halo so much I can waste an entire day on it. I do feel like I get screwed occasionally but it's not very often. This is the only game where I can see where I got outplayed, my map presence sucked, or I just put myself in a bad position. That's pretty cool to me.

Take out Breakout from Team Arena already. Jeez

Yeah. I thought Arena Breakout might be ok, but it's really not.

Give us Oddball, VIP, KOTH, move Arena Breakout to the Breakout playlist.

Hell, combine the Breakout playlist with Swat.

Anything.

Leave Team Arena to legit Halo.

Take out Breakout from Team Arena already. Jeez

My god this. It's got its own playlist. It's the one playlist that destroys my k/d. I like the gametype but unless you are a good player with a good team you are coming out negative. I almost think k/d shouldn't be counted in arena for Breakout. Let it be it's own thing.

Yeah. I thought Arena Breakout might be ok, but it's really not.

Give us Oddball, VIP, KOTH, move Arena Breakout to the Breakout playlist.

Hell, combine the Breakout playlist with Swat.

Anything.

Leave Team Arena to legit Halo.

Breaklut isn't bad but yeah, bring back the old gametypes which should not have been removed to begin with. Actually, Ricochet should be back too. I'm surprised, it was the one shining star along with legendary slayer in H4.

Of course it will be on Forge maps because these Arena maps are dreadful.

Sigh...

343I needs to do something about quitters! seriously they ruin the fun of the game

Allow players to make their K/D and W/L private, and you'll curb a ton of quitting.

We're in the age of persistent progression. The only persistent element of Halo 5's arena is your K/D sheet. Players will quit to preserve it if they get the sense they're part of a losing battle.

Strider

I've given it a fair chance and yea... OverGrowth is shiiiiiit. Worst map in the game IMO

It doesn't help that I can barely see the red team when I'm playing on it either

BraXzy

see those two rock holes? literally how i started that last design

That's what I figured, I might take some inspiration myself from the campaign when I give a more traditional map a go. I'm determined to complete my Breakout one before moving on though.

Hopefully I'll have it in some sort of playable state for the first HaloGAF customs.

That's what I figured, I might take some inspiration myself from the campaign when I give a more traditional map a go. I'm determined to complete my Breakout one before moving on though.

Hopefully I'll have it in some sort of playable state for the first HaloGAF customs.

gotta hand it to the level designers. since building my friend's map i've come to appreciate the art style of Meridian. I've always been a Forerunner guy but this industrial stuff is sexy, especially because it's clean and simple.

HTupolev

Meridian doesn't look bad, but IMO it should look a lot better. Could do with a stronger separation between sharp high-specular glassy spikes and matte gray dust ground, and the skyboxes could seriously benefit from a more Reach-like large-scale geometry.

From what I understand, one of Reach's huge issues was screen tearing, which was a compromise to maintain the graphical fidelity of the majority of the game. The Xbox One forces v-sync on all titles to eliminate screen tearing, meaning that the biggest compromise that the game had is rendered useless, and the FPS drops in lieu of its absence. Combine 20-ish FPS with heavy motion blur and missing detail textures and, well, you've got Reach on the Xbox One.
Nope, Reach had vsync. From that article:
Problems arise when the rendered frame is significantly over-budget. In this case, the game waits for the next vertical refresh before flipping the framebuffer. The upshot of this is that if the frames are consistently over-budget you get a sustained 20FPS frame-rate. It's most noticeable during the cut-scenes, but it can happen during gameplay too, numbing response. That's the unfortunate disadvantage of sticking to v-sync, the plus point being that the game doesn't tear in any noticeable way whatsoever.
So it's definitely a problem with the emulator.

I've given it a fair chance and yea... OverGrowth is shiiiiiit. Worst map in the game IMO

It doesn't help that I can barely see the red team when I'm playing on it either
I don't know what it is about that map, but it's so ludicrously disorienting that I can never get my bearing on that map. Which part should my team control? Where is the enemy spawning? Why am I spawning in the sightlines of the enemy team? Where is my team? Where do the weapons spawn? Why is there so much shit blocking my view of anything?

Nowise10

Oh God Reach runs so bad on Xbox One.
Everything in that clip is a common occurrence in the campaign. The audio becoming whatever is becomes happens everywhere in the game. The game looks like Borderlands sometimes because the textures don't ever finish loading. And it wasn't the game freezing, it is just loading the next section.

Make quitters play with quitters. But weigh who quits first, so the last man can bail if they need to.

Here' a radical idea, take fucking quit completely out of the game. Let them dashboard, muahahaha. At least combine the penalty scale with an upper limit for the number of quits a player is allowed per hour or day. Like 2 or 3 max and bam you're fucked and can't play at all for a temp time.

Also introduce a surrender vote across ranked playlists.

Also also....severe req point penalties (huge ones) or temp blocks on warzone weapon unlocks or blocks on earning rank increase for temp periods.

BraXzy

gotta hand it to the level designers. since building my friend's map i've come to appreciate the art style of Meridian. I've always been a Forerunner guy but this industrial stuff is sexy, especially because it's clean and simple.

Yeah they did a brilliant job with a lot of campaign spaces. Some of the art is fantastic. I loved the town area with all the shops and stuff. Felt really.. Real.

I'm definitely going to need to give the campaign a replay in the future. The question is, do I do legendary co-op for the achievements or solo easy for the leisurely run...

Strider

Why does everyone suggest larger penalties for quitters but no one suggests bonuses for players that don't quit.

Idk makes sense to me to give players a reason to stay besides the fear of being banned because obviously people don't give a shit about that.

Why does everyone suggest larger penalties for quitters but no one suggests bonuses for players that don't quit.

Idk makes sense to me to give players a reason to stay besides the fear of being banned because obviously people don't give a shit about that.
I agree with this, positive reinforcement usually has better outcomes than negative reinforcement. A game streak bonus would be a really nice idea, rewarding more exp and req points up to a certain level for continued game completion.

When 343i allow you to hide your stats, quitting will decrease significantly.

The REQ and Experience bonuses are essentially meaningless outside of Arena. There's a decent chance the people quitting in Arena don't even play much Warzone, so what do the REQ points mean to them, let alone the meaningless number that only goes up?

Superior matchmaking and better maps are the two most surefire way to decrease quitting.

They also take the most work, and are the least likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom