• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

link1201

My arena win pack had this

I always choke when I try to assassinate someone, havn't gotten to try half the ones I have yet.
I like the one where you punch the player in the face after you take them to the ground. I think it's called "stay down".

Strider

Weird, I thought REQ points to were the proper incentive to do good in matches.

Clearly it's not given the amount of quitters still... People here value req points way more than they should when the reality is a lot of arena players don't give a shit.

Throw in the daily win packs and victory boosts and such, and that's more than enough incentive for a good amount of people im sure.

I would argue the daily win packs actually encourage quitting. Anyone that cares about them playing that's limited in time will just quit as soon as soon as a game turns sour and then queue up for the next one.

Trup1aya

I have 6 wins and 24 losses in FFA. Many times I was 2nd place with 1 kill difference. Oh well.

I see. Well if you come in second, you didn't win. The first place guy, defeated you. You are the runner up. I know a lot of people are from the "everyone gets a trophy" school of thought these days. But that's silly.

6/24 is a pretty good FFA record considering the odds. As long as the ranking system recognizes that you are frequently at the top of the list (which it does) I don't see the issue.

Jebron

Wow, there's a lot of whiners and sore losers in this thread. Suck it up, get better, and stop being a little bitch. You're going to lose in ranked play, a lot, so shut up and take it like a man. All quitters should be banned from the game, even if you're the last person on a team. Take the loss as a badge of honor that you stuck it out and weren't a scrub like the other members of your team who quit. No one likes the players that constantly whine and complain. Most of the people complaining right now will complain no matter what 343i does with matchmaking in this game. It's never going to be perfect, so get over it and enjoy the game, or stop playing.

Strider

In the end though I don't think any reward/punsishment is gonna stop people from quitting. Probably a low-priority queue where quitters get matched with quitters is the best solution... But fact is people wanna blame anything except their own performance for why they lose and instead of completing a match they'll quit out of frustration.

Sucks especially when your in ranked matches... it's why I just want a social playlist with standard arena modes so I can just play that and not deal with quitters in my ranked game anymore. I'd only queue ranked with a team if that was the case (which would be incredibly rare).

Wow, there's a lot of whiners and sore losers in this thread. Suck it up, get better, and stop being a little bitch. You're going to lose in ranked play, a lot, so shut up and take it like a man. All quitters should be banned from the game, even if you're the last person on a team. Take the loss as a badge of honor that you stuck it out and weren't a scrub like the other members of your team who quit. No one likes the players that constantly whine and complain. Most of the people complaining right now will complain no matter what 343i does with matchmaking in this game. It's never going to be perfect, so get over it and enjoy the game, or stop playing.

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif

Ascension remake is done, his GT is the same as author on the album

Such brown, many fogs. Way dreary.

Post Script: I would like to just make a note about The Antitypes complaints in general. After browsing his service record on Waypoint you will notice a pattern of quitting more frequently on certain maps: Fathom, Regret, Rig, Pegasus and Eden primarily. He had a stretch of 9 DNF's and has more quits in Halo 5 than I have had in my entire time playing Halo. He also won't be bitching about having a stretch of 13 wins, many of which were by over 10 kills. The fact of the matter is that he is just being a twat to the players who have to then stick out the remainder of the game because he can't handle a map or doesn't like the outcome of one of his first encounters. He is a scourge on the game and should be put into a pool of other dunces that don't belong in general MM population. He will be going on ignore for me on gaf and maybe some day he will stop being a whinny brat about the occasional mismatched game (judging by the scores for games he does finish and the ones he quits out of generally being fairly close given the disadvantage).

E92 M3

I see. Well if you come in second, you didn't win. The first place guy, defeated you. You are the runner up. I know a lot of people are from the "everyone gets a trophy" school of thought these days. But that's silly.

6/24 is a pretty good FFA record considering the odds. As long as the ranking system recognizes that you are frequently at the top of the list (which it does) I don't see the issue.

Well, I know that and certainly don't believe everyone should get a trophy, but it's different when the shot of winning is 1/6 compared to 50% in team games. I think that should be reflected.

It's not the end of the world to me, but a little nuisance.

Raide

Idk man, the narrows remake I saw looked great in the Forge OT, this one looks straight up Reach like.... with a fart cloud surrounding it.

I expect someone to take it, relight it and it will look way better. They nailed the layout, just make it prettier.

Back when I played League of Legends competitively there were always blowout matches either way. Either my team got shitstomped or the enemy team did. It's gonna happen in every competitive game. The matchmaking system can try it's hardest to match teams of even skill but it cannot factor in luck, tilt, and demoralization factors. I'd wager the effects of these phenomena have an equal, if not greater effect on the outcome of the game than a minor difference in aiming skill.

Jebron

Maybe next time, instead of paying people to code the matchmaking, you could just grab some homeless people off the street and trade them food for work. Sure, not many of them would know how to code, but the end result of them randomly mashing keys couldn't be much worse than what you have, and you'll have helped the less fortunate in the community. Win win.

Man, it makes me sad to think if I didn't have a solid group of friends to play with, I'd be matched with clowns like you if I solo-queued.

People, do yourself a favor and make some friends on Xbox Live to play with regularly. Avoid people like this and you'll have a much better time.

Trup1aya

Well, I know that and certainly don't believe everyone should get a trophy, but it's different when the shot of winning is 1/6 compared to 50% in team games. I think that should be reflected.

It's not the end of the world to me, but a little nuisance.

I see what your you are saying but, you just alter your standards to reflect the gametype... You don't alter the win conditions.

The acceptable win percentage in 4v4 should be 50%. The acceptable win percentage in FFA should be 16%.

I don't see the logic in having the same expectations for the two game modes.

BraXzy

Why does everyone suggest larger penalties for quitters but no one suggests bonuses for players that don't quit.

Idk makes sense to me to give players a reason to stay besides the fear of being banned because obviously people don't give a shit about that.

I agree with this, positive reinforcement usually has better outcomes than negative reinforcement. A game streak bonus would be a really nice idea, rewarding more exp and req points up to a certain level for continued game completion.

Bonus for streaks and challenges etc have been suggested quite a lot. I definitely agree that more positive reinforcement will probably work better. People quit out and then get pissed later when they're banned, that doesn't really stop the initial quit. Maybe it stops future quits.

So a reason to suffer through even a terrible match would be a double whammy. Fingers crossed they take the feedback on board and implement something sooner rather than later.

Armchair development.

"Just make the game better. Tighten up dem graphics. Add 20% more fun".

Dude, right? I don't get why all developers don't add another 10 frames per second to their games, it's just a setting in an ini file or something right?!

BraXzy

Ascension remake is done, his GT is the same as author on the album

It looks like a pretty accurate remake, but boy am I not a fan of the excessive fog. I feel like line of sight will be hindered and it'll affect gameplay too much. Clean that up though and it looks pretty good.

One thing I wonder about remakes is, how many people are going to try and tweak the layout/size to accommodate the new Halo 5 sandbox to make the maps even better?

Dam sun. Those are some mighty fine views on a mighty fine video.

link1201

I don't play Halo...
L7M6xVJ.jpg
:p

Caja 117

didwejustbecomebestfriends.gif

Such brown, many fogs. Way dreary.

Post Script: I would like to just make a note about The Antitypes complaints in general. After browsing his service record on Waypoint you will notice a pattern of quitting more frequently on certain maps: Fathom, Regret, Rig, Pegasus and Eden primarily. He had a stretch of 9 DNF's and has more quits in Halo 5 than I have had in my entire time playing Halo. He also won't be bitching about having a stretch of 13 wins, many of which were by over 10 kills. The fact of the matter is that he is just being a twat to the players who have to then stick out the remainder of the game because he can't handle a map or doesn't like the outcome of one of his first encounters. He is a scourge on the game and should be put into a pool of other dunces that don't belong in general MM population. He will be going on ignore for me on gaf and maybe some day he will stop being a whinny brat about the occasional mismatched game (judging by the scores for games he does finish and the ones he quits out of generally being fairly close given the disadvantage).
I wish that option would be effective, but when you have a poster that is in the top ten posting in this thread (280+ and counting) and all he post is the same regurgitated exaggerations over and over, people will reply and you will still end up reading his complaints.

On to the matchmaking problem, I call BS on him, Im an average player, and I get quitters, but not in a rate any different from previous ranked Halo games, I get lagged games but not as much as I did in previous Halo, I get blowouts just as much as other Halo, the System is working just like every other Halo, and quitting is just like any other Halo with ranked MM, so he either haven't played a MM Halo before Halo 5, or he is conveniently forgetting his past Halo experiences.

To play Halo MM consistently you need to be a player with a thick skin when it comes to what are you getting in a game and the BS that might happen, stuff like Shotguns shot not killing someone, people surviving nades, you getting killed by one nade even tough you had what it looked like full shield, maps that you don't like, bad teammates, quitters, a team of pro in the other team, lag, your shot not registering the last headshot, nade spam, campers, lousy spawns...not every Match need to be an easy win with nothing bad happening, if you cant stomach stuff like this to happen, then Halo (not just Halo 5) isnt for you.

The bolded was mentioning stuff that happened to me on Halo Reach.

Yes, it's a network issue on my end that affects exactly one game.

:rolls eyes:

I get that this thread is a 343i hug box, but come on.

I'm in Vancouver. I barely get lag. Console wired right in and I'm on Telus. Was playing with people French guys the other night.

On one occasion I played a Warzone game that was absolutely unplayable as every time I'd reload I'd see the anim occur 3 times. This is with 50 hours of MP down.

E92 M3

I see what your you are saying but, you just alter your standards to reflect the gametype... You don't alter the win conditions.

The acceptable win percentage in 4v4 should be 50%. The acceptable win percentage in FFA should be 16%.

Yeah, that's logical. Ultimately, my apprehension arises from the fact that at a glance my win % looks absolutely horrendous without further digging in.

Btw, seasons are 1 month right? I am really excited to start next season, until recently I have been suffering with controls and now that I have everything set it will be great to start season 2 with a bang.

Karl2177

Eh. Other titles don't count a 3rd place out of 6 a loss. Since I'm at work, I can't elaborate too much, but a 3rd place finish is still placing better than half of the competition. I'm a fan of the 1st place winner, 2nd and 3rd place neutral, 4th and lower loss.

Jebron

Eh. Other titles don't count a 3rd place out of 6 a loss. Since I'm at work, I can't elaborate too much, but a 3rd place finish is still placing better than half of the competition. I'm a fan of the 1st place winner, 2nd and 3rd place neutral, 4th and lower loss.

Honestly, why does it matter? Do you get paid your salary based on your win/loss ratio? Is your health dependent on your win/loss ratio? Is there ANY tangible benefit from having a better win/loss ratio? No, it just helps you feel better than your friends.

If you're concerned about your win/loss for non-superficial reasons, you'll have no problem taking the losses and learning from them. The ONLY way to improve is to strive for #1 in these modes, and the constant striving for #1 is what's going to improve your win/loss.

Also, forget your expectations around "other titles". That excuse is getting tired.

Back when I played League of Legends competitively there were always blowout matches either way. Either my team got shitstomped or the enemy team did. It's gonna happen in every competitive game. The matchmaking system can try it's hardest to match teams of even skill but it cannot factor in luck, tilt, and demoralization factors. I'd wager the effects of these phenomena have an equal, if not greater effect on the outcome of the game than a minor difference in aiming skill.

Absolutely.

Form is transient. One day I can be donging, the next I get into a spiral of negative play. I get angry, I play worse. My rank fluctuates only a little. What else should it do? It is an imperfect average, if you see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom