• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, I love this game but there is no denying that the matchmaking is pretty shit:

BeePG7Z.jpg

Strider

Your pre-season ranking is far more important in determining your rank than the 10 placement games you play in this new season. Your hidden skill rank carries over...

Glass

Warzone bosses continue to make Warzone extremely frustrating. I'm pretty much the most chilled out player and the last hit nonsense is rage inducing. It's completely random, no skill or coordination. You might as well flip a coin.

Raide

They really need to work on the UI for Warzone. Keeping track of where the bases are, when they are being taken etc. It would make for a more balanced mode if some players worked for offence and defence once in a while.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've had a few lopsided matched but that's crazy! Only one death, were there shenanigans at play?

I will need to see the replay but I don't think so, he just hoarded the shotguns, BRs and Overshields, knew exactly where to go. He was just totally incorrectly matched.

Ramirez

I will need to see the replay but I don't think so, he just hoarded the shotguns, BRs and Overshields, knew exactly where to go. He was just totally incorrectly matched.

Well, I mean that's the thing, he won't last long in that bracket producing stats like that. It's entirely possible that he got shit on in his placement matches by Diamonds/Onyx players.

I mean do you have people going 34-1 in every match you play? The game's matchmaking isn't perfect, but you can't take one anomaly and call it shit either.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, I mean that's the thing, he won't last long in that bracket producing stats like that. It's entirely possible that he got shit on in his placement matches by Diamonds/Onyx players.

I mean do you have people going 34-1 in every match you play? The game's matchmaking isn't perfect, but you can't take one anomaly and call it shit either.

You're right this was the most extreme end, but I do see 25-3s pretty regularly

B-b-but you said the Plasma Caster sucks. :p
People who say the Plasma Caster isn't useful just aren't creative enough to make the most out of it. Here's one example: Part 1 Part 2

I'm shooting it around based on the relative positioning of my teammates and where I believe the enemy might be set up. The information gathered from the Caster hitmarkers (or lack of hitmarkers) is invaluable to map control and overall awareness. Reason it's not used a lot is because many Halo players like their hitscan/instant gratification weapons. It's a multipurpose weapon that's great for support.

Ramirez

People who say the Plasma Caster isn't useful just aren't creative enough to make the most out of it. Here's one example: Part 1 Part 2

I'm shooting it around based on the relative positioning of my teammates and where I believe the enemy might be set up. The information gathered from the Caster hitmarkers (or lack of hitmarkers) is invaluable to map control and overall awareness. Reason it's not used a lot is because many Halo players like their hitscan/instant gratification weapons. It's a multipurpose weapon that's great for support.

I have the damn emblem from the PC commendation! The thing sucks as a power weapon against high level players, I don't think that's even debatable. It's Hydra tier, which is fine! It just shouldn't have its own countdown pad on maps because to me, it isn't in that class of weapons.

If there was one item I'd remove it'd be overshield. It's an utterly pointless item, and the most poorly balanced one too.

w0t?

It's a direct counter to power weapons on most maps, and can completely change the tide of a game.

Sai

There have been times when I've only peppered a few BR or DMR shots on a Warzone boss, died somehow before the killing shot was seemingly delivered by the enemy team, but given credit for the kill anyways. Even if you change the point distribution to reflect how much damage was dealt, but reward some kind of bonus for the killing shot, the way the game recognizes that killing shot still seems to be fundamentally flawed.

I have the damn emblem from the PC commendation! The thing sucks as a power weapon against high level players, I don't think that's even debatable.
I see pros using it on their streams all the time and it got some use in the HCS too. Also, lol! Didn't mean to discredit your commendation cred breh!
It's Hydra tier, which is fine! It just shouldn't have its own countdown pad on maps because to me, it isn't in that class of weapons.
Now that's a different argument that I wouldn't be opposed to, but to say it's not useful and to see people ignore it is hilarious considering its strengths. It facilitates map movement more than most weapons.

Trup1aya

If there was one item I'd remove it'd be overshield. It's an utterly pointless item, and the most poorly balanced one too.

I swear, just when I think I've heard it all in this thread, someone comes a long and surprises me.

So, why do you think the overshield is pointless, and what about its balancing is poor?

I see pros using it on their streams all the time and it got some use in the HCS too.

Now that's a different argument that I wouldn't be opposed to, but to say it's not useful and to see people ignore it is hilarious considering its strengths. It facilitates map movement more than most weapons.

If HCS told me one thing about the weapon balancing in this game, it's that the Plasma Caster isn't a coveted powerweapon.

Yes it was used some, but it was mostly ignored.i think I saw it touched once on truth, then subsequently avoided like the plague. It certainly wasn't a point of contention like the other power weapons and powerups.

On Eden, teams would rather sacrifice two lives just to burn the OS, than to go for the PC, which is usually wide open. Same goes for truth and the Camo.

It's clear that the PC isn't working out as 343i had planned.

Ramirez

I see pros using it on their streams all the time and it got some use in the HCS too. Also, lol! Didn't mean to discredit your commendation cred breh!

I mean...it's useful, but in very distinct circumstances. On the average, you're probably gonna die with it and not get a single kill. It never gets touched on Truth because the risk in grabbing really isn't worth the reward you might get from possessing it, lol. It also rots on The Rig, which is should be replaced by rockets, damnit!!

CeeSaw

I mean...it's useful, but in very distinct circumstances. On the average, you're probably gonna die with it and not get a single kill. It never gets touched on Truth because the risk in grabbing really isn't worth the reward you might get from possessing it, lol. It also rots on The Rig, which is should be replaced by rockets, damnit!!
But its more useful than Sticky detonator right.......right?

If HCS told me one thing about the weapon balancing in this game, it's that the Plasma Caster isn't a coveted powerweapon.

Yes it was some, but it mostly ignored. It certainly wasn't a point of contention like the other power weapons and powerups.
If history told me one thing about competitive Halo players it's that they don't always know what's best for them until someone else crushes them for it at some point. Mind you, I'm not saying it's on the level of a Rocket Launcher, so let's not make that leap.. I'm saying it's very useful and criminally underutilized by people in general.

Know what weapons were ignored until Ninja started wrecking shit with 'em? The Plasma Rifle and Sentinel Beam in H2A.
Very distinct circumstances? I just explained how one person can relay a lot of information to their teammates, so maybe we're just in disagreement in how valuable that information is. As for your "on the avarage," what is that based on lol? And it never gets touched on Truth because no one cares to learn grenade tricks that could result in a safely obtainable PC in a matter of seconds ;] As for The Rig, that might be one of the best maps for the PC lol

I just think the meta is still evolving as players are adapting to Halo 5's sandbox. Better placement of the PC is what the issue may be, not the weapon itself.

BraXzy

Time to watch some of the NA Qualifier highlights.. I wonder if anyone has actually put together a highlight reel or if I just need to watch the Twitch VOD.

Chittagong

Gold Member
w0t?

It's a direct counter to power weapons on most maps, and can completely change the tide of a game.

I swear, just when I think I've heard it all in this thread, someone comes a long and surprises me.

So, why do you think the overshield is pointless, and what about its balancing is poor?

Power weapons have significant weaknesses - slow loading, short range, low ammo - to counter their one-kill like power. Power weapons can also be lost, making taking on someone with one a meaningful target.

With Overshield, there is literally no downside to using it, only massive benefits. Nobody can grab it from you by killing you. So the best course of action when seeing a glimpse of green is 'nope'.

Overshields are usually hoarded by advanced players knowing where they spawn, which is not marked like power weapon spawns.

So in a nutshell - it's powerful, there is no risk to using it, the location is not signposted favouring the experts knowing the map by heart, and nobody has an incentive to go after somebody with Overshield on.

(since somebody will mention it - Transparency. It has also significant weaknesses - you can be seen depending what you do, and you take damage like everyone else. This makes a person with transparency a meaningful target.)

LOL, fighting off two guys for 20 seconds, before a third guy spawns in right on top of us and finishes me off.

Teammates nowhere in sight, of course.

Immediate quit.

Enjoy the next 49 kills worth of 3-on-4.

Magwik

Banned
LOL, fighting off two guys for 20 seconds, before a third guy spawns in right on top of us and finishes me off.

Teammates nowhere in sight, of course.

Immediate quit.

Enjoy the next 49 kills worth of 3-on-4.

Takes on two people at once
blames team for a bad decision
quits and leaves teammates by themselves

Takes on two people at once
blames team for a bad decision
quits and leaves teammates by themselves

Takes on one person.

His teammate, completely unoccupied, enters the fray.

Third teammate, spawns in, kills me.

Has no issue quitting and leaving 3 dudes with thumbs of their ass to have said asses figuratively loosened in 3-on-4 play.

Trup1aya

Power weapons have significant weaknesses - slow loading, short range, low ammo - to counter their one-kill like power. Power weapons can also be lost, making taking on someone with one a meaningful target.

With Overshield, there is literally no downside to using it, only massive benefits. Nobody can grab it from you by killing you. So the best course of action when seeing a glimpse of green is 'nope'.

Overshields are usually hoarded by advanced players knowing where they spawn, which is not marked like power weapon spawns.

So in a nutshell - it's powerful, there is no risk to using it, and nobody has an incentive to go after somebody with Overshield on.

(since somebody will mention it - Transparency. It has also significant weaknesses - you can be seen depending what you do, and you take damage like everyone else. This makes a person with transparency a meaningful target.

So you don't think the green guy running around is a meaningful target? The moment you pick it up, you are instantly everyone's prime target.

there is no risk to using it, but it's usually placed in an extremely exposed location, making the attempt to pick it up very risky. Often, folks die trying to get it, and they burn it. The power it provides is part of the risk/reward meta game that has been a part of halo since day one.

The idea is that if a team is skillful enough to control the location it spawns in, then they are rewarded by having a player who can draw aggro.

Just because you don't understand the meta, doesn't mean there isn't a point to the powerup. If your response to seeing someone with an overshield is 'nope' then you are doing it wrong.

Also there is no weakness associated with using the camo. At worst you can be seen just like anyone else.

Magwik

Banned
Takes on one person.

His teammate, completely unoccupied, enters the fray.

Third teammate, spawns in, kills me.

Has no issue quitting and leaving 3 dudes with thumbs of their ass to have said asses figuratively loosened in 3-on-4 play.

So you rage quit because you didn't stick with your team and lost a gunfight?

So you rage quit because you didn't stick with your team and lost a gunfight?

You're right, next time I'll just let the enemy have the overshield.

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see how that plays out.

And for the record, yes, I did run away from the dude with the overshield, because I'm not an idiot. As a few posts up states, getting the OV is supposed to make you a prime target. Not for my team though. Too busy running for... the boltshot maybe? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom